• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team DANGER ZONE. Must be in all caps.

archer2.jpg

legend166

Guys, my brother wants to build a gaming PC. I'm just going to recommend him my build, basically, but what can I upgrade that will add no cost?

This is mine:

Intel CORE i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155 CPU
COOLER MASTER HAF RC-912 Advanced Case
Samsung 2TB(HD204UI) F4EG EcoGreen HDD - SATA II 3.0Gbs, 32MB Cache, 3 Years Wty
Crucial CT064M4SSD2 64GB Crucial m4 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s 20/7
ASRock Z68-Pro3 4xDDR3 PCIex16 GBL RAID DVI HDMI VGA 1394a USB3.0 SATA3
G.SKILL Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GB x 2) PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600) XL 9-9-9-24-2N 1.5v
Corsair HX-650 650W ATX Modular Power Supply, 120mm fan, Dual PCI-E Graphic 18/7
Sapphire HD6970 2GB GDDR5 256Bit GDDR5 PCIE 2*DVI HDMI 2*MiniDSP DX11

Fredescu

Guys, my brother wants to build a gaming PC. I'm just going to recommend him my build, basically, but what can I upgrade that will add no cost?
How much did you spend on your video card? Can probably get a 7870 or 7950 for the same price, both of which should be quicker than the 6970. Nvidia probably have cut down versions of the GTX680 coming soon, but I'm not sure when. I'm don't know if hard drive prices have settled yet since the floods, you might find yourself paying a bit more there.

Also there's some new Intel CPUs coming out in a few weeks, but I'm not sure if they're going to affect the 2500k prices.

Pretty good overall.

Dre didn't have a lot of stage presence compared to Snoop and there were a few songs I don't really care for (couple 50 Cent tracks, that new one Snoop has a verse on) but it was a strong set on the whole. The Pac hologram did Hail Mary and then 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted, and Eminem was there with one of his more recent tracks (haven't really listened to his last couple of albums) and Forgot About Dre.

Sounds like it was good. Hopefully it gets uploaded at some stage.

Ps cods. That is a round robin. Everyone playing everyone. What cookie suggested was a bracket.

I think someone back me up on this one.
Yeah, you're right. Round robin is everyone v everyone. Cookie was suggesting a bracket or knockout and I'll excuse it by saying my brain got confused.

Some 1800 Computers place in Sydney have Plantronics Gamecom 380 for $39 tomorrow, pickup only. Not a bad buy at that price apparently, might be handy for those up that way that need a mic...

This is mine:

Intel CORE i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155 CPU
COOLER MASTER HAF RC-912 Advanced Case
Samsung 2TB(HD204UI) F4EG EcoGreen HDD - SATA II 3.0Gbs, 32MB Cache, 3 Years Wty
Crucial CT064M4SSD2 64GB Crucial m4 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s 20/7
ASRock Z68-Pro3 4xDDR3 PCIex16 GBL RAID DVI HDMI VGA 1394a USB3.0 SATA3
G.SKILL Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GB x 2) PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600) XL 9-9-9-24-2N 1.5v
Corsair HX-650 650W ATX Modular Power Supply, 120mm fan, Dual PCI-E Graphic 18/7
Sapphire HD6970 2GB GDDR5 256Bit GDDR5 PCIE 2*DVI HDMI 2*MiniDSP DX11
Take a look on Amazon for the m4 SSD, I would recommend grabbing the 128Gb version. Currently $146USD before postage. Also like Fred said wait a little bit to see what happens with GPU prices (and join the green team bro).

THAT BREAKING BAD PIC. WHERE DID IT COME FROM?
Breaking Bad by Nathan Boone. What, you don't know how to use Reverse Google Image Search?

rPBpi.gif

markot

Banned
Hm. Why cant I find my Gervais stuff on itunes 'purchased' tab? Do I freaking have to email stupid apple again?

This is what those stinkers said last time.
I have read through your email and I understand that you are unable to download your past purchased audiobooks. I know that you are looking forward to having your audiobooks back and I am happy to help out today.

Marko please not that audiobook and movies and movie rentals can to be downloaded again. However the iTunes Store Customer Support will let you download (at no charge) all the titles you purchased on this account that are still available. This does not include any item that has been modified or removed from the store since you purchased it. Please note there are some item types that you may download only once, so this is an exception. Also note that Apple does not offer protection for the loss of data from your hard disk, so I recommend that you back up your iTunes library as soon as possible and thereafter on a regular basis. I'll include backup instructions in this email.

Danoss

So, there's a new and very awesome looking Virtual Tabletop coming out, useful for online RPG gaming. It's system agnostic, so it can power D&D or any other RPG system you like. They've started a Kickstarter project for it, but it will eventually be released for free once it's where they want it, though more features will be added in the future. For anyone interested, have a look at Roll20.net or their Kickstarter page (also linked off the other page) here.

Whilst on the topic of online RPG gaming, I thought this may be worth asking: is there any interest in playing the odd game here and there? I know the original D&D crowd broke up, though I only have a vague idea as to why. If anyone wants to fill me in via PM, that'd be fine.

I was considering running a game of something via Mumble in the future and wanted to see if there was any interest in such a thing. D&D would definitely not be the system I would be using, I find it far too slow and not at all conductive to roleplaying. I was thinking something along the lines of Call of Cthulhu, or Trail of Cthulhu, something a bit different and a less combat intensive.

I've picked CoC and ToC because of my familiarity with them and the fact that I have published scenarios for them (plus I think they're cool). They are both rather similar in theme, though ToC is the newer of the two, which I'm reading at the moment. It's not terribly different from ToC, but it does some things quite differently. I do have numerous other games, though I'm less familiar with the systems and would have to read up on them beforehand, perhaps track down some pre-written scenarios for them, due to my lack of experience.

I haven't run a game before, let alone CoC or ToC, so it may not be all that special, it may even be completely terrible. Of course, not all game systems and themes will suit everyone, but it may be worth a try. I thought I might try and fill a gap in the AusGAF gaming calendar that was left by the D&D sessions collapse. If anyone has an interest in what I have suggested above, please let me know so I can begin preparations to make it happen. If anyone has questions, suggestions, wants more info, wants to tell me to get fucked or whatever, please let me know.

For anyone interested, have a look at Roll20.net or their Kickstarter page (also linked off the other page) here.

Whilst on the topic of online RPG gaming, I thought this may be worth asking: is there any interest in playing the odd game here and there? I know the original D&D crowd broke up, though I only have a vague idea as to why. If anyone wants to fill me in via PM, that'd be fine.
Shit. I knew developing an online mapping/gaming site would have an audience. Should've jumped on it 2 years ago when I had the idea, but am not enough of a tabletop gamer to know the audience.

I'd be up for gaming, but I haven't played for over 20 years with a group of any kind. I was interested with the recent group but the day didn't gel with me. Once a fortnight would probably better IMO.

Shaneus

Does anyone know the source/context for that Shaq gif?

Also, anyone would be doing themselves a favour of checking out his late night TV interviews. At least on Conan. He has such a dry sense of humour and can pull off deadpan like a fucking pro.

I love you Mars Bar Slice but you are going straight to my hips.

Also all this Cthulhu talk has reminded me of the LOGS email I got today.
My First Cthulhu.

e92a_my_first_cthulu_plush_kid.jpg

Didn't even ask permission from the Minister for Finance & War. She grabbed him some lumberjack dollie the other day so this balances out, one dollie each. But mine is more awesome. I know for sure that when he is in his twenties he will come up to me one day and be like, "Thanks dad, that Cthulhu plush was such a fantastic idea. You are so hip."

Danoss

Also all this Cthulhu talk has reminded me of the LOGS email I got today.
My First Cthulhu.

e92a_my_first_cthulu_plush_kid.jpg

You should have a look at a couple of Cthulhu Mythos books written for children. Surprisingly written by a well respected writer and game designer (Kenneth Hite) who knows Lovecraft and such inside and out. He also wrote the Trail of Cthulhu game I was talking about earlier. I think I might get these books for my mates son for his 4th birthday.

kIiI3.jpg

Where the Deep Ones Are

2U6Ez.jpg

Cliffourd, the Big Red God

Boken

Banned
I tried to make Korean Jia Jia Mien tonight. It's yummy but I don't remember what it's actually supposed to taste like...

In other news. OMG Diablo in less than a month!!

Gazunta

Are you lucky enough to live in Brisbane or the Gold Coast? Do you like stuff? Well come on by the Supanova Pop Culture Festival at the Gold Coast Convention Centre this weekend to check out lots of neat things but most importantly COME VISIT MY BOOTH AND SAY HI!

Oh hey did I mention I'll be selling PRESIDOG and Brendan Brewer comics? It's true! More details here, it's gonna be SUPER FUN WE'LL JUST HAVE THE BEST TIME YOU AND ME

Clipper

So, there's a new and very awesome looking Virtual Tabletop coming out, useful for online RPG gaming. It's system agnostic, so it can power D&D or any other RPG system you like. They've started a Kickstarter project for it, but it will eventually be released for free once it's where they want it, though more features will be added in the future. For anyone interested, have a look at Roll20.net or their Kickstarter page (also linked off the other page) here.

I was considering running a game of something via Mumble in the future and wanted to see if there was any interest in such a thing. D&D would definitely not be the system I would be using, I find it far too slow and not at all conductive to roleplaying. I was thinking something along the lines of Call of Cthulhu, or Trail of Cthulhu, something a bit different and a less combat intensive.

I've picked CoC and ToC because of my familiarity with them and the fact that I have published scenarios for them (plus I think they're cool). They are both rather similar in theme, though ToC is the newer of the two, which I'm reading at the moment. It's not terribly different from ToC, but it does some things quite differently. I do have numerous other games, though I'm less familiar with the systems and would have to read up on them beforehand, perhaps track down some pre-written scenarios for them, due to my lack of experience.

I haven't run a game before, let alone CoC or ToC, so it may not be all that special, it may even be completely terrible. Of course, not all game systems and themes will suit everyone, but it may be worth a try. I thought I might try and fill a gap in the AusGAF gaming calendar that was left by the D&D sessions collapse. If anyone has an interest in what I have suggested above, please let me know so I can begin preparations to make it happen. If anyone has questions, suggestions, wants more info, wants to tell me to get fucked or whatever, please let me know.

There certainly was still interest from some of us, particularly BananaArnie and myself. The reasons for the breakdown of the group are complicated and hard to specify in any cohesive way, so we'll probably leave it unsaid.

Ausgaf Dota is fun :D

Are you lucky enough to live in Brisbane or the Gold Coast? Do you like stuff? Well come on by the Supanova Pop Culture Festival at the Gold Coast Convention Centre this weekend to check out lots of neat things but most importantly COME VISIT MY BOOTH AND SAY HI!

Oh hey did I mention I'll be selling PRESIDOG and Brendan Brewer comics? It's true! More details here, it's gonna be SUPER FUN WE'LL JUST HAVE THE BEST TIME YOU AND ME

YEAH!

Boken

Banned
Speaking of playing videogames... I almost bought a 360 controller for my PC today but stopped when I wasn't sure if there were any games to play with it.

Danoss

There certainly was still interest from some of us, particularly BananaArnie and myself. The reasons for the breakdown of the group are complicated and hard to specify in any cohesive way, so we'll probably leave it unsaid.

The reason I ask is if there's a chance of that situation repeating itself, I would like to avoid it.

Deeku

Graduation complete.

My shoulders hurt from wearing the gown/cape. My neck hurts from wearing the hat. My feet hurt from new shoes. My face hurts from attempting to smile in photos. My feelings were hurt when the guest speaker said I should do something to benefit society instead of working in financial services. Some chick asked me if she could borrow my pocket. I think that about covers everything.

It was fun!

Ydahs

^ Congrats!

Hey guys... when you pinch your lower back really hard, do you feel any pain?

I feel nothing but numbness... I think this back injury is a lot worse than initially thought ._.

Bernbaum

Here's Radiohead's setlist for Coachella. You can watch the set here.

1. Bloom (1:05)
2. 15 Step (7:30)
3. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (11:40)
4. Morning Mr Magpie (17:25)
5. Staircase (22:40)
6. The Gloaming (27:20)
7. Pyramid Song (31:10)
8. Daily Mail (36:30)
9. Myxomatosis (40:15)
10. Karma Police (45:15)
11. Identikit (50:30)
12. Lotus Flower (54:30)
13. There There (59:55)
14. Bodysnatchers (1:05:40)
15. Idioteque (1:10:00)

Encore 1
16. Lucky (1:17:20)
17. Reckoner (1:21:50)
18. After the Gold Rush intro, Everything in It's Right Place (1:27:25)

Encore 2
19. Give Up the Ghost (1:37:20)
20. Paranoid Android (1:43:04)

A delightful selection for sure, and a good indication of what to expect of them live later this year.

Kid A is a near and dear album, likely the most I've listened to, but what I wouldn't give to travel in time and witness an OK Computer era gig. I guess that's the problem with growing up musically in Australia. It takes so long for the big international acts to visit, that they have several decades worth of material accrued and can't please everyone with their setlist.

Clipper

The reason I ask is if there's a chance of that situation repeating itself, I would like to avoid it.
We never got real reasons on why people decided to quit. They just did. And when attempts were made to salvage things by those still enthusiastic, others decided they'd prefer to not bother. We needed one or two more people to reform a group and there didn't seem to be any interest from the rest of AusGAF so we went on hiatus.

Graduation complete.

My shoulders hurt from wearing the gown/cape. My neck hurts from wearing the hat. My feet hurt from new shoes. My face hurts from attempting to smile in photos. My feelings were hurt when the guest speaker said I should do something to benefit society instead of working in financial services. Some chick asked me if she could borrow my pocket. I think that about covers everything.

It was fun!
Congrats! I hope the fun did outweigh all the pain... In any case, you're done, yay!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
sigh, so I've been dreaming about dota 2 all week.

last night I didnt.

last night I dreamnt about queuing for a game with ausgaf. we queued for like an hour til we got a game

You should have a look at a couple of Cthulhu Mythos books written for children. Surprisingly written by a well respected writer and game designer (Kenneth Hite) who knows Lovecraft and such inside and out. He also wrote the Trail of Cthulhu game I was talking about earlier. I think I might get these books for my mates son for his 4th birthday.
They scare me so they will scare the little guy. I do love all Cthulhu though so I am sure I will grab them in a few years time once I have eased him into the whole Lovecraft thing.

Still no word on Torchlight 2 :(
I already told you, DOA is the word. Well, it will have a following but nowhere near as big as they could have had if they released on time.

Speaking of playing videogames... I almost bought a 360 controller for my PC today but stopped when I wasn't sure if there were any games to play with it.
Essential for those games designed for a controller. Works with most games and the nthe rest can be emulated.

Graduation complete.

It was fun!
Congrats! Maybe one day I will graduate too. :(

Here's Radiohead's setlist for Coachella. You can watch the set here.
Sweet! No need to go see them live now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom