• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been 10 days since my last beer.
Had two glasses of Dalmore, neat (as your diety of choice intended) tonight. A mate confirmed our booking for The Great Australasian Beer SpecTAPular in a few weeks as well. I think it's probably not going to end well.

But hey, if you make it into the big smoke--being Melbourne--or the mini smoke--being Geelong--(if it's during a weekday!) before the big day, I'll top you up with a shouted beer.

Also: some sort of Friday Night Lights rah rah comment. Still waiting for the Blu Ray release of the fifth season before I finish of the series.

Also also: Just won Trials Evolution courtesy of @XboxAustralia who I paid out a few pages back. Safe from Bodyboarder's wrath.

Omikron

People born in the 90s. :-o

Also. Poor Rezbit.

581F80C5801465EA80FD6E482F3ECDDB6EE089B0

Everyone knows that 1987 was the best year ever. The Ninja Turtles cartoon, Masked Rider's return to television after six years with the excellent Masked Rider Black, the publication of most of Watchmen, the release of the Nintendo Entertainment System (and Sega Master System?) in Australia, birth of NeoGaf member Box of Bunnies, Married with Children, the Simpsons (on Tracey Ulman), Michael Jackson's Bad, the list goes on.

Danoss

Everyone knows that 1987 was the best year ever. The Ninja Turtles cartoon, Masked Rider's return to television after six years with the excellent Masked Rider Black, the publication of most of Watchmen, the release of the Nintendo Entertainment System (and Sega Master System?) in Australia, birth of NeoGaf member Box of Bunnies, Married with Children, the Simpsons (on Tracey Ulman), Michael Jackson's Bad, the list goes on.

Shame you were too young to enjoy any of those things.

1981 on the other hand had many great things... including the release of the excellent Call of Cthulhu RPG, which came out only 2 days before I was born.

Thinking of birth years/days, I was listening to and looking up some stuff on a talented musician and noticed they were born a day after me. They have gone on to be quite successful, meanwhile I haven't done shit. Pretty depressing.

Rezbit

People born in the 90s. :-o

Also. Poor Rezbit.

RIP Rezbit. You are with your brothers and sisters now, who are nearly all dead as well. You lived a sad 29 years, filled with being trodden on by others and trying to forget your misery by banging fat chicks. Your legacy will be carried on by a single son, may he not be as big a loser as you.

GOODNIGHT, SWEET PRINCE ;_;

Shaneus

Why would we care about the things that were around in the years we were born? In 87, I was enjoying the fuck out of TMNT and collecting their cards, eagerly awaiting Bravestarr and Dinosaucers, Agro's Cartoon Connection in the morning and C'Mon Kids in the arvo.

Born in 1987? Pfft. I LIVED it.

So there.

Oh. Even though not technically 1987, you youngin's would've been too young to enjoy this. Such an amazing song, even nearly 25 years later:
Underworld - Underneath the Radar

That's it, going to bed now. Nostalgiaing so hard right now.

Jintor

More people younger than me than i thought.

Still a lot of Old Ones hanging around here being all asleep and rising to take over the world and stuff though.

Deeku

I never saw pig in the city. Babe was awesome, it was like my favourite vhs tape until someone bought me Space Jam.

Man, the MW3 campaign is so damn good.

Also everyone knows 1986 is a primo year! So much music history! It was the year that Alternative Tentacles was driven to bankruptcy fighting against the bullshit of the PMRC, without that victory who knows how different music may be for us now. Also;
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey
Peter Gabriel - So
Sonic Youth - EVOL
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Crowded House - Self Titled
Run DMC - Raising Hell
Bad Brains - I Against I
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Megadeth - Peace Sells
Paul Simon - Graceland
Nick Cave Bad Seeds - Kicking Against the Pricks
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
Skinny Puppy - Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse
Midnight Oil - Diesel & Dust
New Order - Brotherhood
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Cameo - Word Up!

1994 was a great year for music/film too though!

Why can't you drink beer?
If you want I can give you my lifetimes worth of beer. Please, take it.
2 reasons. 1) I need to somehow pay for a wedding, which I should have been saving up for a year ago. 2) The fact that I get cravings and contemplate killing everyone for a single bottle of beer is probably a sign I should settle down a bit.
I wouldn't say no to a lifetime supply of beer though!!!

Come to Brisbane and I will buy you several. Nobody dies.
But it is ssoooooooooooooooooooooo far away! :(

Had two glasses of Dalmore, neat (as your diety of choice intended) tonight. A mate confirmed our booking for The Great Australasian Beer SpecTAPular in a few weeks as well. I think it's probably not going to end well.

But hey, if you make it into the big smoke--being Melbourne--or the mini smoke--being Geelong--(if it's during a weekday!) before the big day, I'll top you up with a shouted beer.
I will make it up at some point! I was tempted to organise my bucks party for that beerfest but I can't afford it and I can't afford the time to organise it. Desperate to get out of this damn town for a day though so hopefully I can swing it at some point.

Danoss

If you were in Sydney reptile, you could have all the homebrew I have. It's an Asahi clone and I don't want it, and there is heaps of it.

Shaneus

I never saw pig in the city. Babe was awesome, it was like my favourite vhs tape until someone bought me Space Jam.
That's because you never owned this:
TXKc3.jpg

That's not the same one I had though. Mine was in a massive, plastic video store-style cover (with the same design though) and the tape itself was TURTLE GREEN. I watched the original movie only a few months ago and, to my surprise, it's held up so fucking well. No wonder I was an OG fanboy.

If you were in Sydney reptile, you could have all the homebrew I have. It's an Asahi clone and I don't want it, and there is heaps of it.
I can't be the only Victorian here thinking "road trip".

Danoss

When I get more disposable income I am going to buy the shit out of some better green tea

Teas.com.au is great for most of your needs, and pretty good value for just about everything. I occasionally buy from The Tea Centre for some other things, namely Snow Dragons, which is specially treated Silver Needle white tea, which is expensive as hell elsewhere, a lot of their other stuff is frightfully expensive.

If you want some basic green tea that's nice and good value, just grab some Gunpowder from Teas.com.au here. $14.50 for 250g and $40 for a kilo. I can give you a sample at some point if you want, I always have some in the house.

I currently have
  • Australian Daintree (black)
  • Snow Dragons (white)
  • Gunpowder (green)
  • White Dragon (oolong)
  • Ceylon OP (black)
  • Green tea with Jasmine (err... green)
  • Rooibos (entirely different, from the African Rooibos or 'Red Bush', not the Camellia sinensis plant leaves. You can't oversteep it, so it doesn't get bitter and it's naturally caffeine free. Definitely worth a try.)
  • Other miscellaneous teas that were gifts
VVVVV Not if you know where to shop. T2 is absolutely horrid and overpriced, as is The Tea Centre for most things as mentioned above.

Why would we care about the things that were around in the years we were born? In 87, I was enjoying the fuck out of TMNT and collecting their cards, eagerly awaiting Bravestarr and Dinosaucers, Agro's Cartoon Connection in the morning and C'Mon Kids in the arvo.

Born in 1987? Pfft. I LIVED it.

Just about everything we've both mentioned was either still airing (Agro's, Turtles, Married With Children) or had evolved/been superseded (the Simpsons getting their own show, our NES library catching up to the rest of the world's, MJ's Dangerous, Power Rangers wasn't better than Masked Rider Black but it was more suited to my sensibilities at the time) by the time I was old enough to appreciate them so it wasn't just sharing a common point of origin with greatness, but growing up alongside it.

The best part of being towards the end of a decade is that you get a mix of everything that's just happened and eveything that's just about to.

Shaneus

I know, I was just being crotchety :)

Was kinda awesome to experience it first-hand though. By far the highlight of being that age though was seeing this on a big screen, too (can still remember the cinema where I saw it. It was during school holidays, I think my brother took me). And being almost a little too old (but not quite) to see TMNT at the cinema. Not wanting to boast, just saying that for awesome 80s kids entertainment, it was great to be in the demographic.

The 90s had a lot of good shows too...

Man.

When I get more disposable income I am going to buy the shit out of some better green tea
Word. Actually, nice tea in general. Daymn T2 has some nice teas.

Ordering online might be an option eh? Depending on the cost of delivery.

Gazunta

I saw Kevin Smith tonight.

Honestly? I could have trimmed at least half an hour out of the show easily.

Maybe I'm just getting old and whatever but at 10pm I was looking at the time and going well it's gonna be at least an hour and a half till I get home I WANT TO GO HOME AND GO TO BED.

...and now it's 12.30am and I'm wide awake and I have a tone of Supanova stuff to do tomorrow fuuuuuck

Jintor

No one read my post :(

I can't read :<

Seriously though I need to get, like, a proper tea set and strainer and things first. Teabags and mugs are... well, they're alright for my usual tea situation (drink tea while working on assignments) but I'd like something cooler.

Danoss

Nah, you just need an infuser like this one here. Put the tea in it, pour in the hot water, wait 3 mins and take it out, tea made.

If you want tea for 2, there are some nice teapots out there. I bought one from The Tea Centre that is amazing, there is no sediment at all left behind in the cup when you pour it, the infuser is that good! This one isn't the exact one I bought, but it's pretty close. Both of those are great for working or whatever, it's mostly what I use as I'm only making tea for myself or me and one other and we just use mugs, as we couldn't give a rats arse otherwise.

Either of the above two options with some nice loose-leaf tea is better than tea bags. The stuff in tea-bags is the small smashed up rubbish swept up off the warehouse floor. The bags on top of this make the tea even worse again. I'm definitely a tea snob, but once you have nice loose-leaf tea, you can't go back.

If you're looking for something fancy, maybe something like this, this, this, or this perhaps? They've got the asian aesthetic and I think they look pretty cool. They may be more what you're looking for by the sounds of it.

If you want some cool as hell teapots that have a great reputation, there are the Zero Japan teapots. I haven't used them, so I can't vouch for them (and I really like the one I have), but they have a good name. Built in strainer/infuser also, so some nice cups would be all you need. I haven't seen any of the traditional tea cups for sale separately anywhere, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere. Edit: Maybe these?

Bernbaum

There's a place in Brisbane called 'Perfect Potion' which does a peppermint licorice tea, which is quite divine.

Folk who find aniseed unpalatable would still enjoy it - the tea doesn't have a strong licorice taste at all and it's a unique brew in that it manages to be sharp, warm and refreshing at the same time.

-

Playing the original NES Legend of Zelda is a revelation.

Rahk

That's because you never owned this:
TXKc3.jpg

That's not the same one I had though. Mine was in a massive, plastic video store-style cover (with the same design though) and the tape itself was TURTLE GREEN. I watched the original movie only a few months ago and, to my surprise, it's held up so fucking well. No wonder I was an OG fanboy.

I can't be the only Victorian here thinking "road trip".

Oh man, I remember owning that.

Watched it again a couple years ago and it totally does hold up. It's a great movie even today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom