• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Bloody hell, I put in a network switch to my 360 and PS3 and now I'm getting less than 1mB/s on the PS3 (and have no idea how to test the connection on the 360). Can't figure out what's causing the slowdown, but I swear the PS3 was faster yesterday when I plugged the thing in directly...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hey guys, anyone here who can translate from English to Japanese well?

it would be translating a press conference or two to Japanese.

boss will pay, happy for you to name a price if you think its something you can do.. pm me and i'll pm you with the stuff to have a look at :D

end of page bump! pew pew

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bloody hell, I put in a network switch to my 360 and PS3 and now I'm getting less than 1mB/s on the PS3 (and have no idea how to test the connection on the 360). Can't figure out what's causing the slowdown, but I swear the PS3 was faster yesterday when I plugged the thing in directly...

Why did you get a switch? Maybe you fucked up a setting somewhere.

Ping the PS3 machine from your desktop and see how long it takes along with maybe a tracert. Could be a bottleneck somewhere for some reason. the switch!

Jintor

Why did you get a switch? Maybe you fucked up a setting somewhere.

Ping the PS3 machine from your desktop and see how long it takes along with maybe a tracert. Could be a bottleneck somewhere for some reason. the switch!

So I don't have to pull the cable out to get LIVE and PSN (and it was supposed to speed up Plex on both services, only now they're both too slow to stream anything at a decent rate)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I don't have to pull the cable out to get LIVE and PSN (and it was supposed to speed up Plex on both services, only now they're both too slow to stream anything at a decent rate)

Is it a switch or a hub though? Switches might require some setting up where as a hub is just dumb as fuck, so you just plug and go.

Jintor

That might explain a few things. Instruction manual pretty much says 'plug and play' though, and it definitely works, it's just bottlenecking the fuck out of my bandwidth. Off to uni for now, and more tech support when I get home.

Dear uq,
Thanks for cancelling almost all the courses in my major, including the Capstone course, and not mentioning this on the website. I have no idea how I'm going to graduate. You have shown yet again how professional You are.
Thinking I'd be better off at Griffith,
Shan.

Been meaning to post this for a while, but finally getting around to it to today... while I was banned, actually took a small trip home to Tas. It was short, but pretty good. Onto pics and stuff.

Apparently you shouldn't take photos on the tarmac at an airport ;)
I C WHAT U DID THERE. Poor form scaredy pants

Dear uq,
Thanks for cancelling almost all the courses in my major, including the Capstone course, and not mentioning this on the website. I have no idea how I'm going to graduate. You have shown yet again how professional You are.
Shan.
My little sister is at Griffith, love it up there.

hamchan

Dear uq,
Shan.

:(

Universities don't care about the students.

zbeeb

Dear uq,
Shan.

such bullshit. These sorts of stories are becoming more and more frequent too...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
My little sister is at Griffith, love it up there.

Is she really?

you know i had to do it

That sucks shan. I don't understand how a uni can cancel classes like that. Although I totally wish it would have happened in high school, days off woo. Upon looking back though and even at that idea, I should have really done more classes and actually studied.

So i could become famous while becoming rich.

Fuck work, fuck work, fuck work fuck this shit fuckit.

Deeku

Dear uq,
Shan.
Can they even do that?:eek: Surely they just renamed the courses or something. Or you can transfer to a similar major/course. Otherwise that is messed up D:

Choc

Banned
and here lies the problem with Unis being run as businesses and not education facilities

its supply and demand. and its shit.

Jezabel

Dear uq,
Shan.

complete dogs. how long do you have left for your major?

Fuck work, fuck work, fuck work fuck this shit fuckit.
I'll swap you jobs man, I really feel like getting back into Logistics again. Might even keep an eye on the Amazon thing and try and get a job there if it ever happens.

A mate of mine took 2 years off uni and when he got back discovered that all his old units were discredited and basically had to start his whole degree over again. I'm a little worried the same will happen to me since my units are already out of step with the current format.

markot

Banned
and here lies the problem with Unis being run as businesses and not education facilities

its supply and demand. and its shit.

Well, then governments dont have to spend as much money on them. You know, cause education has no benefit to ze community.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I wouldn't mind an amazon warehouse job, that's if it is actually better than the US.

I have too much stuff coming in and not enough going out. So i'm sorta screwed on space. I just had 30 machines turn up, which I wasn't expecting and there should be at least 168 tomorrow. So i've had to push back my physio appointment until the end of next week. More time to do squats and wacky stretches I guess.

Boss isn't here today so that's not too bad. Throwing on some music to try and make me move around and get shit done a little better.

@Fred / Others who played D3 over the weekend. Did you all enjoy it? Is it a day 1 purchase or no purchase at all now?

Choc

Banned
Well, then governments dont have to spend as much money on them. You know, cause education has no benefit to ze community.

What governments fail to realise is that educating people is ensuring the future stability of the fucking economy

if we are not a skilled workforce, its over.

What governments fail to realise is that educating people is ensuring the future stability of the fucking economy
Of course governments realise this. Don't you think that the supply and demand would dictate the amount and type of courses available? There's a reason certain courses have lots of places and others get shut down. If there's no longer seen to be a need for certain skills then why run a course? I doubt there are many phrenology courses run at universities any more.

Not saying your course is irrelevant, Shan, it absolutely sucks that a course would be scrapped with no notification.

markot

Banned
Except then we are essentially going to start seeing 'bubbles' in education like they are in the USA.

I like that Aussie unis dont waste all this money on sport and crap like US ones do though >.>, they so crazy some times.

Ventron

See kids, this is why you do the really hard shit like Computer Science. It feels great when the companies want YOU.

So they actually cancelled the courses in the middle of the semester, or is this in a future semester? Sucks shan :( What was your major?

Choc

Banned
Of course governments realise this. Don't you think that the supply and demand would dictate the amount and type of courses available? There's a reason certain courses have lots of places and others get shut down. If there's no longer seen to be a need for certain skills then why run a course? I doubt there are many phrenology courses run at universities any more.

Not saying your course is irrelevant, Shan, it absolutely sucks that a course would be scrapped with no notification.

if governments realised this Universities would not be as poor as they are and struggling to maintain their level of education.

Governments do not realise this. It's a fact of life that Governments look at the next 3 years, next election generally.

It's one of the flaws of a democratic society

markot

Banned
See kids, this is why you do the really hard shit like Computer Science. It feels great when the companies want YOU.

So they actually cancelled the courses in the middle of the semester, or is this in a future semester? Sucks shan :( What was your major?

Your gonna be screwed when this internet fad fizzles!

Choc

Banned

IT numbers are significantly down on past years. Kids dont want to do it anymore.

magenta

IT numbers are significantly down on past years. Kids dont want to do it anymore.

One of my professors last year admitted that the Comp Sci dept is having a bit of a crisis because of so many students dropping out due to them finding it too difficult.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The main problem with uni for me is unenthusiastic, unsocial undergraduates with narrow-interests wasting my time in tutorials. I can't wait until I eventually work somewhere that has a decent barrier of entry, hopefully I'll be surrounded by people who actually care about what is they're working on and/or learning.

This Software Engineering degree has been and continues to be one of the most immensely satisfying things I've done with my life. Every lecture on a new approach to an algorithm or data structure, methodology or way of thinking contains decades of fresh, exciting material that we're handed on a gold platter, and most of the ungrateful pieces of shit have the cheek to play games on their laptop in class and then complain that the material is too hard. Read a fucking book, ask questions during the lectures or, hey, maybe actually listen, assholes.

I don't envy Arts students in many ways, but at least the people it attracts are generally at least somewhat T-shaped and open to discussion. Anti-social, non-team players are ruining computer science degrees. It's a vicious negative cycle.

Omikron

Computer Science is hard?

Clipper

Enrollments actually started rising again this year for my Uni, at least. Still very much down on the boom at the start of the century and it has been falling every year before this one.

Also, to the others, can we stop blaming this on 'UQ'? It would be the faculty or school which made the decision to neuter Shan's course, not the University itself.

markot

Banned
Enrollments actually started rising again this year for my Uni, at least. Still very much down on the boom at the start of the century and it has been falling every year before this one.

Also, to the others, can we stop blaming this on 'UQ'? It would be the faculty or school which made the decision to neuter Shan's course, not the University itself.

Most of these decisions are made by the upper echelons though no? The dreaded VICE CHANCELLORRRRRRRRR!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
On the plus side, I made it through from the Apple retail group interview to a one on one job interview this week, and -- should that fall through -- the option to take a permanent part-time position at my current job is sitting on the table. So that's nice.

Also, I've officially made it down to 20kgs lost. I'm back in the 80s, which was my short term goal before I turn 21 in May.

Choc

Banned
On the plus side, I made it through from the Apple retail group interview to a one on one job interview this week, and -- should that fall through -- the option to take a permanent part-time position at my current job is sitting on the table. So that's nice.

Also, I've officially made it down to 20kgs lost. I'm back in the 80s, which was my short term goal before I turn 21 in May.

You too can be clapping new iphone 5 owners!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Id do almost anything at this point to surrounded by people who are actually somewhat enthusiastic about what they do. It sounds magical.

Ventron

Computer Science is hard?

Well, I didn't find it hard, I enjoyed the challenge.

I was cut when UQ stopped the Computer Graphics course, I really wanted to learn OpenGL and the math behind it but I may need to go to a place like DigiPen to get that now.
4th-year courses like Compilers could fit everyone in a single tutorial room and yet it didn't get cancelled, I guess because there's HUGE market demand for people who can write a compiler or interpreter.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Monash has a OpenGL unit in third year. I'm not sure if a singular unit was what you were referring to. It's game specific course covers direct X via C++ and like in second year and through into third.

Omikron

Good, more jobs for me.

How many jobs do you need?

Well, I didn't find it hard, I enjoyed the challenge.

I was cut when UQ stopped the Computer Graphics course, I really wanted to learn OpenGL and the math behind it but I may need to go to a place like DigiPen to get that now.
4th-year courses like Compilers could fit everyone in a single tutorial room and yet it didn't get cancelled, I guess because there's HUGE market demand for people who can write a compiler or interpreter.

Yeah, by 4th year Eng I think we were down to ~10 people per tutorial or so, but the make up was 70-80% international students too. Full fee paying == monies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Id do almost anything at this point to surrounded by people who are actually somewhat enthusiastic about what they do. It sounds magical.

No...No..

Good luck. Try not to keep the blinders on forever though. That's about the only advice I can honestly give you when it comes to Apple.

Also. It's about to start pissing down with rain in Melb. Time to hide.

Fredescu

Yeah, it's pretty good. It's not all that uncommon either.

Edit: Oh, I thought he meant the workforce post graduation, not Apple retail.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I was being at least partially sarcastic. I'm referring to post-graduate work.

No...No..

Good luck. Try not to keep the blinders on forever though. That's about the only advice I can honestly give you when it comes to Apple.

Also. It's about to start pissing down with rain in Melb. Time to hide.
Either be specific or keep it to yourself. People-facing roles that involve communicating solutions to problems to laymen or teaching them how to use simple systems is HIGHLY relevant toward my study, particularly toward my interest in human-computer interaction. Dealing with large amounts of people a daily basis is a great compliment to a highly math/science/engineering-flavored degree. It keeps me socially active, keeps my presentation skills sharp for future scenarios where I'll inevitable have to pitch ideas either to large groups of people or in one-on-one scenarios, and allows me to get in the habit of learning how to multitask quickly and efficiently in a high-traffic retail environment. They're all great life-skills.

But apparently Apple applaud people when they buy something. So fuck them.

LOL- Valve aside, almost every place you work has a large number of people who are just there for money and that's it, even if they are doing what they love.

Ask Gaz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom