• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

You'll want to play a fair few games of Yomi to get up to speed for that very reason but the games play quick.

I'll keep it in mind and check it out when I get the chance. It sounds quite different and also a bit of fun.

Fine, I dropped $10 since I'm a sucker for Kickstarter. No idea if it's something I will enjoy, but we'll see.

Hopefully you like it, we'll have the early-release PDF soon and the ebook in about a week or so by the looks of it. If it doesn't end up being your thing, maybe you'll enjoy an Evil Hat produced RPG that I may run one day if you're interested. I've got about 5 of them, each of them are quite different from the rest, but equally cool in their own way.

Read the sample chapter from the Dinocalypse Kickstarter. I didn't find it very good.

Well, pulp fiction isn't for everybody. I read it and thought it looked it'd be a fun read. Chuck Wendig has made plenty of contributions to the world of RPGs and writing in gerneral, and I respect him a lot.

Brian Clevinger's comic 'Atomic Robo' is fantastic and well worth checking out for any comic reader. It's a very pulpy comic and I think his novel will be great. Harry Connolly's work I want to read eventually as Jim Butcher likes his stuff (I believe he's Harry's editor), and I've been enjoying the Dresden Files, so there's a chance I may like his work.

Fredescu

LOL- Valve aside, almost every place you work has a large number of people who are just there for money and that's it, even if they are doing what they love.
Who doesn't work for money? You can still be enthusiastic about your job, even if you wouldn't do it if you didn't need the money.

Phone gaf is messing up, lol.

complete dogs. how long do you have left for your major?

5/8 courses left.

Technically they are still offering the major, i dont know if that means new courses, but i highly doubt it. I went to sign up for courses next semester and that's when I noticed there were no courses. The only courses still on offer at all are the three ive done. They have changed the research based Capstone course to "korean drama review", for god knows what reason. The major is Asian studies. Looks like theyre trying to herd a lot of people into that course, since they've just made it a korean subject too...

Deeku

An opportunity has presented itself!

I may be relocating to one of three locations, listed from most likely to very least likely:

-Hong Kong
meh
-Shanghai
oh god I hope not!
-Tokyo
oh my god fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu japanese salary man fantasy dream come true

I hope making this post doesn't jinx my chances:eek: Will I still be considered ausgaf?

Also fuck if i have to go what's going to happen to my radiohead sydney thing????!

Well, pulp fiction isn't for everybody. I read it and thought it looked it'd be a fun read. Chuck Wendig has made plenty of contributions to the world of RPGs and writing in gerneral, and I respect him a lot.
It wasn't that it was pulp. Not sure if I didn't like his style or I just thought he was a bad writer, but I struggled to make it to the end of the chapter and I certainly didn't find it interesting enough to try. I did like the idea of psychic dinosaur invasion, though.

I may be relocating to one of three locations, listed from most likely to very least likely:

-Hong Kong
meh
-Shanghai
oh god I hope not!
-Tokyo

I hope making this post doesn't jinx my chances:eek: Will I still be considered ausgaf?

Also fuck if i have to go what's going to happen to my radiohead sydney thing????!

:O!!!!!!!!!!

What's this for?? That's so great!

I hope it's Japan ><
I'm not biased I swear...
why would you wanna be a salary man though? I was under the impression they never sleep ever.

I hope it's Japan ><
why would you wanna be a salary man though? I was under the impression they never sleep ever.

the impression i get from tv shows and general knowledge of a salary man in japan:

wake to end work: work
end work to dinner: strip club/karaoke
go home for dinner
do wife things
sleep

edit: the one time ive been to a strip club there were 5 older to old asian men front row

Who doesn't work for money? You can still be enthusiastic about your job, even if you wouldn't do it if you didn't need the money.

I agree. You can be enthusiastic (and it's better if you are). But I've worked with way too many people who really didn't appreciate how lucky they were to be doing what they were doing.

When I was younger, I worked in a bakery, a hotel and a pawn broker. I certainly was not at all enthusiastic about those jobs (apart from getting cheap S/H N64 games from the pawnbroker). Hated them but i put my head down and did them.
Then I worked in games for some time and loved nearly every second of it.

But not everyone I worked with felt that joy and enthusiasm in making games. The ones that did made it worthwhile. The passionate ones were great to worth with and spark off.

The ones that let everyone know they were just slumming it, biding their time until something better came along, (I'm going to use the nearest example I can think of- Thomas from Downton Abbey, if that makes sense)- god, shoot me in the head if I have to hear them moan.

and scene.

tl;dr I prefer working with people who like what they are doing.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I was being at least partially sarcastic. I'm referring to post-graduate work.

Either be specific or keep it to yourself. People-facing roles that involve communicating solutions to problems to laymen or teaching them how to use simple systems is HIGHLY relevant toward my study, particularly toward my interest in human-computer interaction. Dealing with large amounts of people a daily basis is a great compliment to a highly math/science/engineering-flavored degree. It keeps me socially active, keeps my presentation skills sharp for future scenarios where I'll inevitable have to pitch ideas either to large groups of people or in one-on-one scenarios, and allows me to get in the habit of learning how to multitask quickly and efficiently in a high-traffic retail environment. They're all great life-skills.

But apparently Apple applaud people when they buy something. So fuck them.

They applaud because they are trained that way, They are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

You will be molded to exactly how apple wants you to be. If you're happy with that then by all means enjoy the job. You have to be very specific to be able to work at an apple location. For example, If you were a tech who worked at say next byte, you pretty much have a 0 chance of getting a job as an "official" apple tech. In reality, a genius bar job probably isn't that great compared to an apple reseller tech position, but the pay is bound to be ever so slightly better. Since you have worked elsewhere apple can't get you into their desired mold because you have seen the other side of the fence.

You work at JB. Have you asked the guys who deal with Apple stuff, how Apple is? I would honestly be curious to see how others

I'm not knocking you for going for another job and certainly not an apple one. I just don't want to see you turn into an apple cult loving nut job.

You should however get 1 (maybe 2?) apple purchases per year 20% off RRP. There's a sweet perk if you ever need a new mac. I've never used mine D:

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't under the impression they clap out of the goodness of their hearts. :p

Sorry, I'm just in a grouchy mood today. It's the seventh (of seven) group meeting in a row where my team mates sat there looking at their phones while I tried to start conversation and coordinate tasks. It's the umpteenth lecture in a row where I was the only one who asked a question.

The paradox of it all is that I'm still fundamentally loving uni. I can't get enough of the material. I just wish I had people to share my excitement with.

Danoss

It wasn't that it was pulp. Not sure if I didn't like his style or I just thought he was a bad writer, but I struggled to make it to the end of the chapter and I certainly didn't find it interesting enough to try. I did like the idea of psychic dinosaur invasion, though.

Oh, it wasn't the best start, I'll agree with you there. Once I got a bit further into it, I was able to groove on the theme and the story a bit more. I think some of the way the story is delivered is completely intentional, as I thought he was going for a certain feel, it is pulp after all. I was left wanting to find out what happened next and that's good enough for me.

Fredescu

tl;dr I prefer working with people who like what they are doing.
Me too. I don't think many people consider themselves to be "lucky" to be working in IT, but there are plenty of people who obviously love their work and feel a drive to do a good job. I wouldn't say that everyone is like this, but in my experience finding a good team environment isn't hens teeth. You don't have to be somewhere top tier to find it. Good management is usually enough.

Clipper

Most of these decisions are made by the upper echelons though no? The dreaded VICE CHANCELLORRRRRRRRR!
They sort out things between the faculties and stuff, and deal with the running of the University as a whole, but they don't touch the curriculum. They might do something that causes the school to drop less worthwhile courses, such as lowering the budget due to declining enrollment, but they will never go in directly and alter stuff as it's not their job.

-Hong Kong
meh
-Shanghai
oh god I hope not!
-Tokyo

Congrats! Come to a SydGAF board game day before you leave and then you shall always have a place in AusGAF in our memories :D.

I really should log into Chrome properly at work, lose all my multiquotes when I get home.

Congrats on the weight loss Rez! I'm in the high 80's at the moment still.

Arrived home to a letter from the real estate telling us that we can't have 2 chickens at the property because the neighbours are worried about noise and our back lawn isn't kept short enough. Which is strange since the neighbours are the ones who said we should get some hens for eggs and the back lawn is at the back of the property. So they would need to get in through our side gate to have a look. And they haven't been to the property while we have been home. Seems legal. Also it has been a long summer so I have been leaving the back lawns about 15cm high rather than the usual 3cm out the front.

Clipper

Yeah, congrats, Rez (missed your earlier post so thanks too, reptile). Keep up the good work!

I just got below 85kg for the first time this morning myself which represents a total loss of 50kg for me. Stomach is still pretty big, so I've got a lot to go, but I'm still enjoying the diet, so I'm happy. I haven't been this light since I started puberty, which kind of scares me in some ways (I didn't consider myself fat back then, but I must have been)...

And reptile, could it have been your other neighbours complaining of the noise? Or do you only have 1?

And reptile, could it have been your other neighbours complaining of the noise? Or do you only have 1?
We live in a court in the middle of town, about 200m away from the train station. Most of the people in the court are nice old people, with 3 or 4 cats that wander the area and at night you can hear several dogs nearby barking every now and then. For 2 bantams, which make almost no noise, to be too much for them is a bit silly, especially since the idea came from our neighbour on one side.

Also didn't help that the letter was a proforma where the moron of a woman didn't even replace (insert animal name here) with chicken at one point. I doubt she would have the nerve to ask people if it would be okay, I doubt she gets more than 5m away from her car or desk during business hours.

The bit that pisses me off is that at some point someone has gone snooping in our yard, through a high fence, without even asking us. Not to mention the fact that I still cut the lawn once a month and make sure everything that is visible from the road looks perfect.

tl;dr - Real estate people are terrible people, continued.

Omikron

I once reported a neighbour to council for keeping a rooster. I was not putting up with that. No issue with their chickens.

I'd write back telling them the neighbours are actually okay with it. Chickens make very little noise, especially compared to the train nearby =/ What does the lawn have to do with anything?!

Jintor

-Hong Kong
meh
-Shanghai
oh god I hope not!
-Tokyo
oh my god fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu japanese salary mani fantasy dream come true

Go to Japan.

Did you have this job when we met? I thought you were just a poor struggling uni students like me!

I once reported a neighbour to council for keeping a rooster. I was not putting up with that. No issue with their chickens.
Yeah fuck having a rooster in town, they are even worse than dogs. Never had a problem with hens but I would never even try and have a rooster in town, no chance of it being worth the trouble.

I'd write back telling them the neighbours are actually okay with it. Chickens make very little noise, especially compared to the train nearby =/ What does the lawn have to do with anything?!
Well, since the landlord lives in Darwin I would say he just didn't want to have to deal with it. She would have sent him a quick email and he would have just said no. No problem with us having a dog or cat though.

I think the real estate woman threw in a comment about the lawn as a way to say, either you spend 20 hours and $100 a week in the garden otherwise you can't do anything. Thankfully today seems to be the start of winter here so I don't have to worry about the shitty plants dying.

Fuck em. Not going to bother with their game. Next time I see my neighbour I will have a bit of a go at him about it, saying that the real estate said that he didn't want us to have any hens. Nothing over the top, just enough for him to feel annoyed that the real estate put him in this position so maybe he will go have a chat to them if they never actually talked to him. I would prefer to get them caught for lying than to push an issue that doesn't matter that much. I have also sent them an email asking for implicit directions from the landlord, including diagrams and dimensions, on how the garden areas are to be kept, how many millimetres the lawn has to be and how the trees are to be cut back. Just so as to keep everyone happy with the condition of the property of course. :)

Salazar

An Australian man allegedly caught trying to smuggle hash and the party drug ice into Bali in his stomach will face a trafficking charge and the possibility of a death sentence, prosecutors have confirmed.

Edward Myatt is expected to be moved from police headquarters in Bali to the notorious Kerobokan jail within days after it was revealed today that police had completed their investigation and were set to hand the case over to prosecutors.

The 54-year-old Ballarat-born man was arrested on February 27 at Ngurah Rai Airport in Bali and was later allegedly found to be carrying 1.1kg of hashish and more than four grams of methamphetamines in plastic casings which he had swallowed.

1.1 kg ? Yeah, it's all over.

Deeku

choc said:
if you go to Tokyo you can live the dream brother

also

be our jp game correspondant :)

I know, I would gladly take up that role!
Clipper said:
Congrats! Come to a SydGAF board game day before you leave and then you shall always have a place in AusGAF in our memories .
So persistent, lol!

I hope it's Japan ><
It's just part of a grad rotation thing at work to get some global exposure/experience. I hope it's Japan too, always wanted to live and work there even if it means living the dreaded salary man life sans strip clubs/hostesses - I'm not really into that kinda thing.

Sadly though, I think it's more likely to be a China related place:(

Anyhoo, I'm getting way too excited over potentially nothing really.

I have zero interest in going to Bali. Malaysia will be my destination eventually.

Feel like a beer, but it is a bit cold for a lager.

Guinness6.jpg

Guinness-PInt.jpg

Jump on a bus and lets grab a few!

Choc

Banned
i am fucking over the greens and their 'the police didnt do the right thing shit' with what happened in the X the other night.

The kids, were in a car, on a footpath with 1000s of people, driving and speeding up

what the fuck else COULD the police do than shoot them? As someone said, if they didnt and the kids killed 50-100 people, the police would have been slammed for not shooting them

Here;s how you dont get shot by the police

DONT BREAK THE FUCKING LAW

DONT FUCKING DRIVE YOUR CAR ON THE FOOTPATH

DONT FUCKING STEAL A CAR

DONT FUCKING DRIVE WITHOUT A LICENCE

although i do admit, the cop laying into the guy on the ground with a bullet wound in his neck seemed OTT

but even so, fuck. Support our police for once you fuckwits pollies. Just because you live in a fucking bubble of personal security and chauffered cars.

markot

Banned
I dunno, its complicated, but I do think the cops wrestling the kid onto the ground when he had been shot was over the top.

Also we should ban people from being out after 3am! Go to sleep!

Its funny that in some countries, police wouldnt shoot because they dont rely on the utilitarian argument such as Germany, while here we want the police to be forward thinking even if it means mistakes sometimes and quite alot of power on their end. Also some cops dont have guns like in the Bill!

I dunno, its complicated, but I do think the cops wrestling the kid onto the ground when he had been shot was over the top.
It was but they had all just been through a traumatic experience, watching a car just drive into someone and then having to react quickly in a way that would lead to the least amount of people being injured possible. At that point it seemed like he was shitting himself and wanted the kid secured.

Danoss

Choc wasn't posting earlier because all his rage was being concentrated into a kidney stone. Now it has passed, regular programming may now resume.

I hope he kept it and labelled it 'the stone of rage'.

Ifhp9.jpg

That's a bit insensitive, sorry.

Yagharek

Nope. Pretty obvious that when he went to the toilet at Tullamarine he was drugged by the baggage handlers and they slipped the drugs into his stomach while he was passed out.

Sounds like they made him swallow a boogy board.

In other news, Bob the cat has been confirmed for animal crossing 3ds. GOTY!

markot

Banned
The thing I missed most in Animal Crossing DS was the lack of that weird fish dude singing to you when you went to that island >.<

Yagharek

He also had some weird lisp thing he'd say, like "ptthpth". You're a strange cat, Bob.

Tank the rhino was cool. I was sad when he left :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom