• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

I loved Sherlock also. I think I finished S1, but not sure.

So, just came back from Prince. Fucking awesome. Started 30 mins late, looked like there was going to be another encore when he was due to finish at 11pm, but there wasn't. Finished on a really, really bizarre track (Peach? wtf) and didn't play Controversy (!) or (despite mentioning it earlier but deciding against it for being too slow) Diamonds and Pearls. Not a track I enjoy at all but one of his biggest ever.

Danoss

I'm just starting on Sherlock S2 after recently getting into it. There is so much to like about this show, because they get so much right.

I didn't think there was any new life to be breathed into Sherlock Holmes, but boy was I proven wrong. It came as no surprise to discover Steven Moffat was behind Sherlock. Jekyll was amazing and another brilliant modern take on an old story, another of Moffat's great work. If I had known this, I would've started watching the show sooner.

It's rare to mention this about a TV show, it's rare for this amount of effort to go into one, and it's rare for it to catch my attention, but the cinematography in Sherlock is absolutely breathtaking. There was a sequence in S02E01 that completely blew me away, it was incredibly beautiful, imaginative, and elegant. Love, love, love this show.

I'll be watching The Adventures of TinTin shortly after finishing Sherlock, now I've read Steven Moffat penned it also. He's written a lot of television that I've thoroughly enjoyed since being a youngster, he's an incredible talent.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'm just starting on Sherlock S2 after recently getting into it. There is so much to like about this show, because they get so much right.

I didn't think there was any new life to be breathed into Sherlock Holmes, but boy was I proven wrong. It came as no surprise to discover Steven Moffat was behind Sherlock. Jekyll was amazing and another brilliant modern take on an old story, another of Moffat's great work. If I had known this, I would've started watching the show sooner.

It's rare to mention this about a TV show, it's rare for this amount of effort to go into one, and it's rare for it to catch my attention, but the cinematography in Sherlock is absolutely breathtaking. There was a sequence in S02E01 that completely blew me away, it was incredibly beautiful, imaginative, and elegant. Love, love, love this show.

I'll be watching The Adventures of TinTin shortly after finishing Sherlock, now I've read Steven Moffat penned it also. He's written a lot of television that I've thoroughly enjoyed since being a youngster, he's an incredible talent.

Coupling and Dr Who should be next on your list.

I can shortlist some moffat dr who eps if you'd like worth watching.

But you must at the very least watch the episode 'Blink' from about 2007 if you only watch one episode.

Sherlock is great. I actually prefer his take on Sherlock Holmes to his take on Doctor Who (still love Who, but his Sherlock trumps everything else made in the UK these days. I found that I don't enjoy the Guy Ritchie/ Robert Downey Jr movies as much due to the comparison.

If you want more Moffat- he also did Press Gang and Coupling. Gatiss (mycroft and co-writer) is from League of Gentlemen and an occasional Doctor Who contributor.

Danoss

Coupling and Dr Who should be next on your list.

I can shortlist some moffat dr who eps if you'd like worth watching.

But you must at the very least watch the episode 'Blink' from about 2007 if you only watch one episode.

Dude, I was one of the people recommending Doctor Who to you when you were starting to get into it! :p

Also, Coupling is great. Haven't seen all of it, but I'll get to it soon enough.

If you want more Moffat- he also did Press Gang and Coupling. Gatiss (mycroft and co-writer) is from League of Gentlemen and an occasional Doctor Who contributor.

Press Gang was a childhood favourite, grew up watching that. Coupling I will grab at some point, but everything I have seen of it is great.

Omikron

Shaneus

Know what I love about GOG? This sort of shit.

Up pops a game you already own?
mH2BT.png

Save up to 25% when you preorder Alan Wake's American Nightmare! Buy it alone for just $13.49--or pick it up with the original Alan Wake and save an additional 15%, which makes your preorder price just $11.24! Don’t worry, if you already bought Alan Wake on GOG.com, you’ll get the additional 15% discount added automatically. ;)
(Damnit, I have to buy it now, don't I, rs?)

And also, stumbled across this in my travels, a free download of the Sierra classic, Conquests of Camelot. Maybe GOG could have it as a free promo download?

Um, guys. Only just found out that there's 3DFX support for DOSbox (at least, for Carmageddon). Now if someone can find a way for me to play Powerslide in Win7, I'll be in heaven.

Fredescu

After the last time Press Gang came up, I watched every episode again. The scenario is a bit far fetched, but it holds up surprisingly well. My wife liked it and had never seen it before, so it's watchable even without nostalgia. That could be because she could relate to the bossy Lynda Day though. And me to the suave badass Spike. She laughed for a long time when I suggested that so I assume that means she agrees.

Shaneus

Semi-update: Apparently you can run Powerslide in a VM image, according to a Youtube video. If that works with 3D acceleration, my day just got a shitload more interesting (as a nerd, at least). Could probably run Carmageddon and NFS2SE in that as well. Hell, maybe even pod and Hellbender with Gillian Anderson!

Fredescu

I played the shit out of Halo 3. Finished the campaign in co op probably a dozen times. Still couldn't tell you anything about the story though. As far as I can tell, you're a robot that fell from the sky and your job is to venture into someone's colon to rescue a hologram.

OGS sent me an email saying they shipped mine today. I saved, what? 2 bucks.

Who knew an Activision Blizzard game would be sold for $60 new here.

That Hockey response is hilarious. He's sitting there struggling to say anything and ends up saying the bare minimum of anything. And the forced applause by one person at the end of his comment, in comparison to the clapping after the question was asked, was pretty indicative really

Halo 4 cover is amazeballs and makes me want the game even though I haven't loved the series since the first (although Reach was great in parts)

Holy crap that looks cool. I'm not ashamed to admit that I loves me some Halo. I'm like the anti-Vince in that regard. I think I could safely say I've spent more time this gen playing Halo then any other series.

I am downloading eclipse. Kill me now.

MV5BNDMwNjAzNzYwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDY5NzcyMw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

???

Anyone watch QandA last night? Mostly fairly drab as usual, but a question to Hockey re marriage equality and children was excellent and his answer was bullshit. Especially considering his position earlier in the show stating he believed all Australians to be equal. Penny Wong whacked him in a really great way imo.

Watch here (~54mins in): http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s3497231.htm

Youtube version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuIbEJz23uY&feature=youtu.be

Daaaamn, shit just got personal. Then he gave a shitty answer anyway =/ I thought he was going to say something nice, after he started on the "after having children I realise that we aren't necessarily better parents". Okay great! Stop there!

Sherlock is great. I actually prefer his take on Sherlock Holmes to his take on Doctor Who (still love Who, but his Sherlock trumps everything else made in the UK these days. I found that I don't enjoy the Guy Ritchie/ Robert Downey Jr movies as much due to the comparison.

I didn't enjoy them much anyway. I like RDJ, but unlike a lot of people I don't feel like his witty charm is enough to hold a movie together.

Diablo 3 just arrived =D now I can stare at the box all day at work wooo

I'll probably see if I can pick it up this arvo, but due to uni I won't be home until after seven ;.;
Still haven't decided who I wanna play yet...

Jintor

I don't like playing Halo alone, but it's fucking excellent with friends and my little brother. It's a staple of gaming nights. The modular multiplayer is by far the best; we've made up so many game modes just by fiddling around with the ruleset. I don't like the campaign on its own merits but as a co-op experience it's brilliant.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Everyone is buying diablo 3, Feels like i'm missing out on something.

I still do find it strange that places like reddit and gaf can rage about ubisoft online drm, claim to never buy their products because of it and so on. Yet blizzard can do the exact same thing with even more sillyness like the real life auction house and no one bats an eyelid.

So far i've stuck to my elitist smug as fuck moral high ground. Woo me.

jambo

I don't like playing Halo alone, but it's fucking excellent with friends and my little brother. It's a staple of gaming nights. The modular multiplayer is by far the best; we've made up so many game modes just by fiddling around with the ruleset. I don't like the campaign on its own merits but as a co-op experience it's brilliant.

Yeah I love playing co-op campaigns with mates, currently going through Halo Anniversary with the missus.

And the MP customisation is insane in the later games, I love setting high jump, low grav, high weapon damage and just going nuts in Gruntpocalypse!

Yagharek

halo 3 was overhyped rubbish with terrible level design, d grade story and was too short to boot. Should have been a 800 point xbla release instead.

Yeah, same here :D Co-op just makes games in general a lot more fun.

But smashbros is the gaming night staple :p

markot

Banned
Everyone is buying diablo 3, Feels like i'm missing out on something.

I still do find it strange that places like reddit and gaf can rage about ubisoft online drm, claim to never buy their products because of it and so on. Yet blizzard can do the exact same thing with even more sillyness like the real life auction house and no one bats an eyelid.

So far i've stuck to my elitist smug as fuck moral high ground. Woo me.

I know, its so stupid. Blizz does the exact same crap and its like 'oh but its blizzzzz' Pshawore.

Fredescu

I bought UBI online DRM products and I will buy Blizzard online DRM products. Go me.

halo 3 was overhyped rubbish with terrible level design, d grade story and was too short to boot. Should have been a 800 point xbla release instead.
It wasn't all that short and most of the levels were pretty good.

Jintor

I've always just had to take people's word that Blizz is a fine company because I just simply don't like the type of games they make at all

Like, seriously

None of them are appealing. RTSes and MMOs... not my thing.

As usual the problem is the inability to say with your dollar which bits of a product you are supporting and which you are not. Driver San Francisco was a fucking amazing game with a terrible overwrought bullshit DRM scheme attached.

2v2 High Ground single flag. I have wasted hours and hours and hours playing that with a couple of mates. Unfortunately one of the guys we played it with moved to Estonia, that put an end to that.

I'm not hyped at all for Diablo 3. I played the first two to death but I just don't give a shit right now. I'm sure it'll be rad and I'll get around to it eventually though

Jintor

Our favourite mode was joust, basic slayer with 200% player speed, gravity hammers only

Or zombie joust, where only the zombies could joust but had an uncontrollable 300% player speed

HolyCheck

I'll probably see if I can pick it up this arvo, but due to uni I won't be home until after seven ;.;
Still haven't decided who I wanna play yet...

Servers will be down til then anyway likely lololol

Good thinking

HolyCheck: WitchDoctor
addyourself: to the list

edit: Really? Most of the complaints about D3 are that it's too different.

I just played Torchlight 1 the other night, things a d2 fucking clone.

HolyCheck

What's different? Seems almost exactly the same to me but with a 3D engine. Maybe a little more crafting for the long-term players, but that's about it.

inventory, graphics, art direction

I think these things are all just changed just enough to make it new. Some people are crying bloody murder that it doesnt look play and feel like diablo 2.1

Shaneus

That guy to do with that gay doctor marriage thing has apparently stood down from his position or something.

And, well, Max Payne 3 is getting 9s across the board. My thoughts, from the OT review thread:
Not that my post will make an iota of difference or even get read amongst the hundreds of posts here, but these days I tend to avoid games that get flat 9-10 scores across the board, because it almost always means they're superficial ratings.

Give me a game that gets 6-7s, with the very rare 9 which, more often than not, echoes how I would eventually feel.

And guys, seriously. Check this out. DOSbox with unofficial patches to support shit like Glide, 3DFX, accurate MT-32 emulation.

Also, going to fuck around and try to get Powerslide running with 3D acceleration at some stage. Excite.

PS. Glad I'm not at all buying into Diablo 3. By sticking with Torchlight 2 (for now), it almost feels like I'm sticking with Vanquish when everyone else is going for Gears of War 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom