• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If GTA3 is meant to be an example of what mobile (iOS) gaming can do, Then god help us all.

Mobile gaming will never be a threat to Nintendo and Sony if that's the case. I honestly think Nintendo and Sony will end up being a bigger threat to Apple over the next few years.

Unless the iPad shrinks and gets real fucking buttons. Then it's on like donkey kong.

how are you all ignoring journey?

its amazing

gaf is going bananas over it in the OT

Because you dick bags are charging $20 in Australia for it! Also isn't it only PSN+ this week?

Plus Mass Effect 3 man!

Will grab Journey when it gets a 25%+ discount, can't justify $20 for one sitting. Especially when I'm already playing community games from my boss and haven't paid more than $18 or so dollars for a full retail game since The Witcher 2.

BTW. ME3 is really fucking good, was expecting some schadenfreude but it really is fantastic. A few things don't carry across and some of the writing is terrible at times (mainly at the start and the intro 4 hours is terribly designed) but other than that it is amazing. Incredible interactive movie.

Clipper

Just bought Journey off the US store (US$15). I must admit I had misconceptions as to what it was. Thought it was the Fable game. Given the latest rant, I thought I should at least check out the Wikipedia page. Saw the word Thatgamecompany and immediately turned my PS3 on to buy it.

Now the game will likely feature at SydGAF 3: Board Games 2 tomorrow... Is that good enough, Choc?

Fogz

I'm really looking forward to Journey, but yeah, austax sort of put me off. Might grab it off the US PSN store next week.

Gazunta

I'll be interested in Journey the moment anyone -ANYONE- can actually stop jerking off over it long enough to do something crazy like spend five fucking seconds explaining what the actual game IS.

All I know is that it's amazing and wonderful and blah blah fucking blah. Is it a platform game? An esoteric exploration of a world? A fucking racing game? NO FUCKING IDEA. NONE. GREAT WORK GAMES PRESS EVERYWHERE.

Like I'd ever own a PS3 anyway LOLOLOLOL etc

hamchan

Everyone should be buying off the US PSN really. $50 US PSN cards from Best Buy are so easy to get and we pay 47 AUD for them. Then the games come out earlier and at cheaper prices. There are no downsides to it right now.

No one at Sony Australia shut this down please :(

Choc

Banned
I'll be interested in Journey the moment anyone -ANYONE- can actually stop jerking off over it long enough to do something crazy like spend five fucking seconds explaining what the actual game IS.

All I know is that it's amazing and wonderful and blah blah fucking blah. Is it a platform game? An esoteric exploration of a world? A fucking racing game? NO FUCKING IDEA. NONE. GREAT WORK GAMES PRESS EVERYWHERE.

the problem is gaz is that its extremely hard to define what the actual game is

its a puzzle game and a stealth game and an adventure game and a platform game all in one in a somewhat open world

the reason why people are spooging gaz is because the experience is amazing. Usually as you would know with 'games' you talk about mechanics etc, this thing is the entire experience

everything comes together perfectly so you forget about game mechanics and focus on being in the moment so to speak

Also I just started replaying Far Cry 2 which was FREE last week and this week I got Sly Raccoon 1 FREE and Trine 2 FREE so I already have a wealth of gaming to do on my PS3. Not to mention the Crash trilogy I really want to polish off again 100% that was, again, FREE on PSN.

Funny thing, Sly 1 was like 5Gb and Far Cry 2 was only like 3Gb I think.

The Journey hype seems a lot like the Limbo and Braid hype, neither of which I found very special. Thatgamecompany are freaking awesome though so I am sure it is great.

Gazunta

the problem is gaz is that its extremely hard to define what the actual game is

its a puzzle game and a stealth game and an adventure game and a platform game all in one in a somewhat open world

the reason why people are spooging gaz is because the experience is amazing. Usually as you would know with 'games' you talk about mechanics etc, this thing is the entire experience

everything comes together perfectly so you forget about game mechanics and focus on being in the moment so to speak

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll pass

Christ its like asking someone what a Wes Anderson movie is about. "Oh it's this amazing collection of characters, they're all so interesting and multi layered and" NO YOU FUCKING DON'T GET IT JUST TELL ME WHAT THE MOVIE IS ABOUT GOD

markot

Banned
If GTA3 is meant to be an example of what mobile (iOS) gaming can do, Then god help us all.

Mobile gaming will never be a threat to Nintendo and Sony if that's the case. I honestly think Nintendo and Sony will end up being a bigger threat to Apple over the next few years.

Unless the iPad shrinks and gets real fucking buttons. Then it's on like donkey kong.

Any game with on screen controls tends to suck.

Clipper

Everyone should be buying off the US PSN really. $50 US PSN cards from Best Buy are so easy to get and we pay 47 AUD for them. Then the games come out earlier and at cheaper prices. There are no downsides to it right now.

No one at Sony Australia shut this down please :(

I clicked the youtube link and found out that there are videos of miku & co dancing to kpop:eek:

I feel so betrayed!

Edit:

Argh I keep forgetting about this best buy thing. I might get Journey, plus a bunch of other more important games I've been meaning to get off US psn e.g. Odin Sphere.

Have you guys tried using your Aussie cards with the US store? That's all I do.

Edit: I just checked how I did that, and I used my real street address with real suburb name for city, but I put California 90210 for state and postcode... Oh, it's an AMEX too. Perhaps that's important.

Frawdder

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll pass

Christ its like asking someone what a Wes Anderson movie is about. "Oh it's this amazing collection of characters, they're all so interesting and multi layered and" NO YOU FUCKING DON'T GET IT JUST TELL ME WHAT THE MOVIE IS ABOUT GOD
It's a thatgamecompany game, so 'hard to define' and 'zzzzzzz' seem to go hand in hand.

I guess if you're one of those artsy people you will get something out of it. To me, it looks like a walking and floating simulator in a desert.

Shaneus

Same with me and Limbo. I think I ended up buying it eventually, but it was more "holy shit it's awesome" and not "holy shit it's awesome because...". I fucking hate it when the gaming community as a whole somehow conspires against folks like us who don't pay attention to elitist gaming journalist Twitter feeds who know what's so hot right now.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll pass

Scarlett Johansson's arse.

Oh wait, that's a Sofia Coppola movie. But it has Bill Murray in it so it's kind of a Wes Anderson movie*.

And for what it's worth, while I didn't really mind The Royal Tenenbaums, I don't get the massive jerkfest that happens when people talk about it. It just comes off as one of those pretentious movies that people pretend to like to impress other equally pretentious movies.

*Again FWIW, I fucking LOVE Lost in Translation. Not wanting to sound pretentious by saying that, but it's just a wonderfully constructed and shot movie. Absolutely adore it. I'd watch it again but it just makes me want to go to Japan solely for the hope of randomly bumping into a beautiful, lonely, interesting American girl.

Rahk

Yeah, I got caught up watching the last couple episodes of Homeland. I might be a little late, especially since it'll take me an hour and a half to get there.

Danoss

I'm up and should be there around 10. I went to bed at 1am, am tired but no big deal. I'll bring a cool game of which I haven't read the rules for us to nut out Clipper, it'll give us something to do while we wait for the others to arrive.

Hope everyone likes pirates. Who am I kidding? Everyone loves pirates.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll pass

>:|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
When will it be out here? I can't wait, but I'm not buying PS plus given I haven't turned my PS3 on for months.
not to be a salesman here, but if you get plus now, you get Sly 1 and Trine 2 or free, which more than covers the cost of Plus.

Clipper

not to be a salesman here, but if you get plus now, you get Sly 1 and Trine 2 or free, which more than covers the cost of Plus.

I guess the Trine 2 part is for the Aussie version? I strongly recommend the US version instead. A lot more good stuff. Current freebies include Sly 1, Um Jammer Lammy and Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD, but not Trine 2. It might be in our next batch of freebies, though...

Trine 2 was EU PS+ as an apology for something I have forgotten now.

Would recommend new PS+ people sign up in US because of lower cost and better range.

Best deal in gaming. Auto patching and cloud saving while you sleep is amazeballs.

Shaneus

So, there's some parts of my backyard that used to be bits of garden, I want to turn them into lawn. What do, GAF?

Also... rock salt is apparently good for weeds in brickwork etc. Where buy shitloads of, GAF?

So, there's some parts of my backyard that used to be bits of garden, I want to turn them into lawn. What do, GAF?

Also... rock salt is apparently good for weeds in brickwork etc. Where buy shitloads of, GAF?
Dig out the garden (if it's raised), buy some soil and put that down and then put some rolls of grass down on the area that you wish to turn to lawn. Before you know it, it will integrate into the rest of the lawn.. as long as you buy the correct type of grass to match your existing lawn.

You should be able to buy salt at a garden shop. Fairly certain. If they don't have any, just print out this post and give it to them. They'll order some in.

Oh yeah, to celebrate SydGAF, I turned down a job offer in Sydney on Friday. Be disappointing (or celebrate harder Sydney) Still kind of thinking I should have taken it, but I'm happy I didn't.

Also, I was playing I am Alive yesterday. Not sure how I feel about it. The climbing, which I think it going to be most of the game kind of annoys me. But the combat with enemies freaking out from you pulling a gun on them is cool.

Agyar

Good thing it's not a representation of what most iOS/mobile gaming is, being that it's a port of a ten year old console/PC game. What a silly assertion.

Shaneus

Dig out the garden (if it's raised), buy some soil and put that down and then put some rolls of grass down on the area that you wish to turn to lawn. Before you know it, it will integrate into the rest of the lawn.. as long as you buy the correct type of grass to match your existing lawn.

You should be able to buy salt at a garden shop. Fairly certain. If they don't have any, just print out this post and give it to them. They'll order some in.
Cheers! I'm actually renting so I don't want to spend too much on buying turf and was thinking I could maybe *just* use lawn seed... but having said that, if this can be used as some kind of indication, it wouldn't be too expensive. There's maybe 10-15 sq.m that would need to be covered and I thought it could wind up a few hundo. Thanks for the tip, though! When it's ready, you can come over for the inaugural barbie.

Also, I was playing I am Alive yesterday. Not sure how I feel about it. The climbing, which I think it going to be most of the game kind of annoys me. But the combat with enemies freaking out from you pulling a gun on them is cool.
George Broussard was tweeting about how if you die 3 times you get kicked back a fair way, he said he lost 45 minutes of gameplay. That is the kind of thing that would piss me off.

Good thing it's not a representation of what most iOS/mobile gaming is, being that it's a port of a ten year old console/PC game. What a silly assertion.
Picked up Modern Combat 3 on Android today for 50c and it is impressive what they can do on the platform. Most mobile games though benefit from being simpler stuff that you would see on Newgrounds or something, stuff like Cut The Rope. That is the main draw for me. The retro stuff is great too.

At work we just till everything into the soil and lay grass seed, comes good within a month or two as long as it gets enough sunlight and water. That is more of a long term solution than dropping grown grass of course.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

No. But this is what games will turn into once hardware becomes more powerful. With better technology developers get all excited about how much crap they can do, how to make it deeper, more open, add in AI and all that fun. That means mobile gaming is going to continue to get more complex, So you're going to see games such as GTA3 on the platform.

iOS is good for games that required very little interaction, simple swipes and taps, Like infinity blade. It's all on wheels and requires the most basic interaction and yet sold like mad because of it. If you threw in dual controls, 4 move buttons and other crap, There's no way that would have sold and done as well.

Jezabel

Because you dick bags are charging $20 in Australia for it! Also isn't it only PSN+ this week?

Plus Mass Effect 3 man!

Will grab Journey when it gets a 25%+ discount, can't justify $20 for one sitting. Especially when I'm already playing community games from my boss and haven't paid more than $18 or so dollars for a full retail game since The Witcher 2.

BTW. ME3 is really fucking good, was expecting some schadenfreude but it really is fantastic. A few things don't carry across and some of the writing is terrible at times (mainly at the start and the intro 4 hours is terribly designed) but other than that it is amazing. Incredible interactive movie.

I got 3 months of PSN+ just for journey and i regret nothing. I would have paid double for it.

GOTY for the manly tears i cried

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom