• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

VS mode was insanely good in Pandora Tomorrow. Reason being it was simple, balanced and ran well. Chaos Theory diluted it with too many gadgets, too many graphics updates that chugged performance and less people playing it.

I logged >300 hours on PT VS mode.

I went to high school with Berrick Barnes. He used to win at everything back then too. I remember some of the other rugby dudes used to make fun of him for having overly sensitive nipples. I overhead this comment without context, so I cannot vouch for its veracity.

Kingaroy or Ippy Grammar?

50 minutes into xbox presentation.

Thoughts so far

I forgot about Splinter Cell. It could be cool if it isn't as action-y as the trailer suggested. I need some stealthiness. Although I'm not sure I've played one since the first or second. It was probably time for a new take on it

And despite GAFs hatred for the 360s media hub abilities I fucking love it. If I could watch NHL games on it I'd be like a pig in shit. I won't because rights etc, but still I like the fact I can do all this rad IPTV and video stuff on my console.

Hot Chip!
This album seems pretty cool so far.
Uh I mean...video gams.

:)

I like the cut of your...

The LP kind of crept up on me. Didn't know it was coming so soon! Only knew about new Hot Chip because one of my friends is obsessed with Flutes and another the same with Night & Day.

lol Inversion. Namco sent you out to die today.

Gaz! Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing free for iPhone & iPad
Vook! Logitech G930's for $140 from LogitechShop!

Tempted to grab the Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 for $40 delivered too. Looks like a good HTPC keyboard.

Big W have 11x14 Enlargement Prints for A DOLLAR from Thursday for 2 weeks! Will grab a few next weekend in Geelong. Awesome awesome deal.

I am hoping like mad Nintendo has some Mario game to show tomorrow, because this E3 feels like an unrelenting sea of violence.

I think I might watch the Rayman trailer for a while...
Everybody better buy Rayman this time!

So Rayman Legends is the game of the show so far right or did I miss something else super amazing?
Beyond: Two Souls and Watch_Dogs take it for me, mainly because they look super interesting and not just an iteration of stuff that I have already been playing.
New Gears by the Painkiller/Bulletstorm guys looks AWESOME MP-wise even though I don't go in for those kinds of shenanigans
Tomb Raider looks really good still
Most Wanted looks like the Burnout sequel I always wanted
Star Wars 1313 looks like a highly scripted Uncharted clone, which says something
New Sucker Punch project is very intriguing and I am hoping that it is revealed tomorrow rather than Thursday
The Last of Us looks AWESOME still, looks like pretty harrowing stuff
Black Ops 2 looks to take interactive movie gaming to another level (with even less interaction needed than ever!)
Dead Space 3 sounds great with the drop out co-op that actually removes all the 2nd player related stuff from the game, sounds really fantastic

So Rayman Legends is the game of the show so far right or did I miss something else super amazing?

Really? I only saw the WiiU footage was there more? It looked pretty much more of the same. Which is cool but not exactly world changing stuff.

My deputy editor would claim that you never played Chaos Theory co-op or multiplayer.

Recommended reading for the moment is MCV UK's article of "E3 in Context" and RockPaperShotgun's editorial on "E3 from One Context". Read one after the other for best effects.

That MCV article probably reflects my current feelings. There are a lot of incredibly clever people in the industry. They've got to be working on cool shit somewhere, and at this stage of the console lifespan chances are the best and brightest are looking to the next one.
And despite that there are still a bunch of rad as shit games coming out.

The RPS one is pretty indicative of this overwhelming negativity that is starting to shit me. The industry is changing and people have to come to terms with that. It's not little niche hobby anymore.

I guess I'm just a more optimistic person. I've been shoveled a fair bit of shit recently, but I still remember most of the cool stuff we've had to play over the last couple of years.

Gazunta

Thanks Reptile! Sonic and Sega All Stars is a lovely game to play on the iPad, and I recommend it. I bought it on 360 and the iOS is a great alternative that doesn't take up the TV to play.

Did anyone here order a YouTube video of Ella Morton lying in bed thinking about how pretty she is? Well, here it is anyway.

The most fun I've had with E3 so far is posting on Twitter as Brendan Brewer and watching people take him seriously.

Last Of Us has been my favourite video so far. Damn, that looks good.

Watch Dogs had me until the scene with the guy losing his wife in the car. Then the game went from interesting to the adventures of a sociopath.

So much misery and suffering in the E3 videos so far. And yes I know I'm being hypocritical after just praising Last of Us.

markot

Banned
Why aren't there any good star trek games? I was thinking a fie emblem style game would work, both as way to do story and for battle, either as missions with away teams, or ship battles with larger units and more options...

Jintor

Watch Dogs had me until the scene with the guy losing his wife in the car. Then the game went from interesting to the adventures of a sociopath.

Personally, I think more games should explore sociopathy, given how common it is in videogames - and, more importantly, how ignored.

I was watching the Tomb Raider trailer today and the dissonance between Lara being all bloodied and battered while murdering around twenty people without a second thought or an additional comment was quite striking.

Why aren't there any good star trek games? I was thinking a fie emblem style game would work, both as way to do story and for battle, either as missions with away teams, or ship battles with larger units and more options...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Armada

Was apparently only okay though.

markot

Banned
Personally, I think more games should explore sociopathy, given how common it is in videogames - and, more importantly, how ignored.

I was watching the Tomb Raider trailer today and the dissonance between Lara being all bloodied and battered while murdering around twenty people without a second thought or an additional comment was quite striking.
Metal gear???! Rose I killed a man, put a gun against his head pulled the trigger now he's dead!

Yagharek

What platform?

Only played them on PC. Not sure chaos theory even hit PC.

Played it on xbox live. Lots. Still the best online multiplayer Ive ever had the pleasure of, provided you could get 4 people together who wanted to make it work and keep improving. Sadly, it was impossible to maintain that regularly.

I forgot about Splinter Cell. It could be cool if it isn't as action-y as the trailer suggested. I need some stealthiness. Although I'm not sure I've played one since the first or second. It was probably time for a new take on it

And despite GAFs hatred for the 360s media hub abilities I fucking love it. If I could watch NHL games on it I'd be like a pig in shit. I won't because rights etc, but still I like the fact I can do all this rad IPTV and video stuff on my console.

Splinter Cell (Conviction) and this new one are fine because they are decent single player once-through affairs, with nice ways to approach scenarios. Brain in neutral, play it like an episode of 24 and youre good to go. It helps that the character is actually fluid to control now, like the spies in SCPT vs mode.

/////

Just finished the xbox live stream. In order the highlights for me were:
1. Splinter cell
2. Halo 4 not being crap like halo 3
3. South park comment about smartphones in the fridge

Overall its the worst conference Ive had the pleasure of watching, because it had no redeeming unintended comedy like the nintendo 2008 one. The fact that it ended with a flat, drag-on-too-long CoD BO2 segment was the icing on the cake. Never have I been so uninspired with a video as that one.

I hope to god that nintendo are not courting that end of the market.

markot

Banned
What's with like every damn mobile game having in app purchases? Even the ones you have to buy... Not to mention the ads...

Gazunta

Actually fuck all this video game talk, what's the word on Foxtel playing Simpsons for 24 hours a day during the Olympics, is it going to happen this year or what.

Actually fuck all this video game talk, what's the word on Foxtel playing Simpsons for 24 hours a day during the Olympics, is it going to happen this year or what.

Won't the Olympics be on at like midnight every night anyway?

Oh good. Scotland beat Australia in a boring, wet kick fest. Glad I bailed at half time. They better pick up their game if they have a dream of touching Wales.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Did you see the introduction video and the guy from Ubi explain the guy you were playing?

You weren't meant to be a nice guy at all. You hated everything and everyone, for the most part.

FUCK YOU 2013 WHY ARE NEXT YEAR AND NOT THIS YEAR I NEED SOME MORE GAMES TO BUY AND ARCHIVE AND NEVER FUCKING PLAY ALREADY

Klingon Honor Guard was an AWERSOME FPS. Also what you described sounds a bit like the Online game. Also there is a pretty cool looking Mass Effect clone called Star Trek coming soon!
EDIT: Also Elite Force 1&2, how did I forget them!?!

So much misery and suffering in the E3 videos so far. And yes I know I'm being hypocritical after just praising Last of Us.
To be honest that was when I sat up and said, "this is a fucking game I need to have". Doing something more than just a cool gimic is what I am after. Seems like it could have it in spades, like Last of Us.

She didn't kill many people! Also it looked great fun, which is strange to say when she is going through hell. Looks to be a coming of age thing where she struggles against adversity and then becomes a strong, worldly adventurer capable of surviving in the shit.

What's with like every damn mobile game having in app purchases? Even the ones you have to buy... Not to mention the ads...
That is where the real money is!

Just finished the xbox live stream. In order the highlights for me were:
1. Splinter cell
2. Halo 4 not being crap like halo 3
3. South park comment about smartphones in the fridge
Any direct link to the South Park comment? Only watched the trailer.

It's called my PC!

Jintor

She didn't kill many people! Also it looked great fun, which is strange to say when she is going through hell. Looks to be a coming of age thing where she struggles against adversity and then becomes a strong, worldly adventurer capable of surviving in the shit.

I'm tempted to take a break and tally up the amount of npc's murdered on-stage over the last couple of conferences.

As for Lara:

Arrow'd dudes in head, pushed guy off cliff, shotgunned guy in face, crushed men with barrels, exploded canister in two dude's faces, dropped pitch lamp on two dude's faces and burned them alive, peppered some other dude with flaming arrows.

markot

Banned
MvEoO.jpg

Poms have more money than sense. Also it isn't her birthday you twit!

Thanks! The delivery was perfect lol

I'm tempted to take a break and tally up the amount of npc's murdered on-stage over the last couple of conferences.

As for Lara:

Arrow'd dudes in head, pushed guy off cliff, shotgunned guy in face, crushed men with barrels, exploded canister in two dude's faces, dropped pitch lamp on two dude's faces and burned them alive, peppered some other dude with flaming arrows.
Pfft! Only the shotgunned guy died! The rest were just flesh wounds!

Yagharek

Tomb Raider looked incredibly linear, like uncharted. That was fine 3 years ago, but now its a bit old and transparent. Only so many times can one "play" through a heart-in-mouth action sequence where slight analog stick inputs have subtle-yet-trivial effects before the wow wears off.

If it was exploration based and had HD T-Rex encounters I might be more inclined. For now, it's not standing out.

Tomb Raider looked incredibly linear, like uncharted. That was fine 3 years ago, but now its a bit old and transparent. Only so many times can one "play" through a heart-in-mouth action sequence where slight analog stick inputs have subtle-yet-trivial effects before the wow wears off.

If it was exploration based and had HD T-Rex encounters I might be more inclined. For now, it's not standing out.

New Turok. Day 1. Unless it's like the previous Turoks. Which were turd

Deeku

Finally watched a couple of trailer things. Last of Us looks cool, NFS is also a game I will buy. Disappointed at lack of vita stuff I guess, but honestly wasn't really expecting anything. TGS is more relevant when it comes to what I want for vita.

ausgaf moving in together sounds weird

Most like... it sounds awesome.

Same here :( Last of Us felt off as well, maybe because the guys they were shooting didn't seem all that bad. Did anyone else mix up last of us and beyond? ...Just me?

I want to cut my ears off now.

Dead Man

Pfft.. it wasn't fine 3 years ago either.

Same here :( Last of Us felt off as well, maybe because the guys they were shooting didn't seem all that bad.
That is the whole point! Rather than just a sushi train of bad guys to kill by the boatloads every person you kill now weighs a little more on you. Makes you think more about the consequence of your choices and the shit that the actual characters are meant to be going through.

Same with Watch_Dogs. You play an amoral arsehole but he isn't interested in getting civilians killed. If it takes no effort from him he will avoid collateral damage as it is no skin off his arse and will mean the heat on him isn't as bad.

markot

Banned
How come you never are allowed to show mercy in games? You almost always have to kill... If you injure them,you have to finish en off, hell even in wow if the enemies try to flee in fear you have to chase em down and kill em.

Something that's been bugging me for ages, 256 death animations, no other options...

How come you never are allowed to show mercy in games? You almost always have to kill... If you injure them,you have to finish en off, hell even in wow if the enemies try to flee in fear you have to chase em down and kill em.

Something that's been bugging me for ages, 256 death animations, no other options...

Plenty offer melee takedowns. Usually with the combatant rolling on the ground in agony.
Could see this in the Watch_Dogs trailer.

New Splinter Cell is fucking brutal though, in an over the top stupid way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom