• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Read some of the spoiler thread. Seems some people are missing a few key details when speculating.

I'm going to be thinking this film over for days. This is a good thing.

I am pro them being paid more and not being subjected to 'pay for performance' schemes. Which from my understanding of teaching, don't work.
I think teachers' base pay should be fair (and from all the extracurricular work most of them seem to do, like grading papers at home, it seems far too low), but I'm all for a performance scheme if it is a bonus. However there's a lot you have to take into account I guess, like schools in more affluent areas more likely to show better performance than, say, a much smaller country school.

Oh man, OT just brings out the worst people sometimes. Hilarious to see all the idiots banned. Apparently Twitter isn't for personal use, only for companies to shill their shit according to them. Not to mention the general short mindedness.

Explain how you think one might work.
How do bonuses work in any working environment? You could set targets for highest percentage of year level improvement or any number of indicators. I don't know the particulars of teaching well enough to suggest something, but I do believe teachers are underpaid for what they do.

Omikron

That's grading the students, not the teachers. How do you figure out which portion of those grades are due to the teacher performing better than other teachers?

I did mention NAPLAN sarcastically, which in hindsight was impossible to spot minus the !.

And I have no idea how you 'grade' teachers without spending a huge amount of time getting around the schools and rating classroom performance I guess. And even then, I don't think it is possible.

Fredescu

You could set targets for highest percentage of year level improvement or any number of indicators.
Year 1 you get a gifted class and they cruise through and slightly underperform but do ok. Year 2 your class is less gifted and you work hard to help them and they overperform relative to your expectations, but do worse overall than the class from the previous year, despite you working harder. How do you properly gauge improvements over a year? Say it's not a NAPLAN year. Do you judge the teacher based on the grades that they give? Surely that's encouraging teachers to inflate their own grades slightly, which you read about happening in other places.

"It works in other industries" is not good enough, that's simplistic thinking. A lot of people smarter than us have tried and failed to come up with an objective measure for teachers that still produces good learning outcomes for students. I suspect a working solution would be very costly to implement.

Omi said:
I did mention NAPLAN sarcastically, which in hindsight was impossible to spot minus the !.
I know you did, I wanted to respond to it anyway. There's no emoticon for that!

markot

Banned
They should get the kids to grade the teachers! REVERSAL!

Or have a teacher teacher who sits in on classes to judge the teachers performance. And then a teacher teacher teacher who judges the judges performance... then another and another!

Choc

Banned
fable_the_journey_not_on_rails_nag.jpg

remember this?

well guess what ITS ON FUCKING RAILS

Jintor

I'm surrounded by language students practicing for their speaking exams. It's very relaxing. Asian guy a table away speaking spanish. A group of Aussies a few tables away speaking Japanese super fluently. Pretty cool.

markot

Banned
When people say 1080 is hd, is that up wise or down wise?

Cause my moniter is 1680 x 1050, and thats 30! less than hd! Thats pretty much 1999 technology!

Zavvi had it for a decentish price for the CE with the book and T-shirt but Vince said some were turning up scuffed I think.

When people say 1080 is hd, is that up wise or down wise?

Cause my moniter is 1680 x 1050, and thats 30! less than hd! Thats pretty much 1999 technology!

Down. So like 1920x1080 is usually the standard now I think. 16:9

Jintor

Man, the asian guy a table away speaks French, Spanish, English AND Japanese. I am jelly. I wish I had an aptitude for languages.

anyone know where to get the Metal gear HD collection for cheap?
OzGameShop - PSVita is $38, PS3 is $46
Zavvi - 360 CE is $72 (has been cheaper before though)

Wouldn't be surprised if it is cheaper at EBGames at the moment, they have a bomba sale on at the moment with stuff like SotD for $15.

Man, the asian guy a table away speaks French, Spanish, English AND Japanese. I am jelly. I wish I had an aptitude for languages.
I'm sure he is deficient in areas you are experience in though. Learning languages takes a lot of time and practice. Also I bet he can't talk about games (while not actually playing them) anywhere near as good as we can.

One of my friends speaks English, French, Japanese, Cantonese and Taiwanese. She is a fucking mental case. She also is working on a PhD in like, marine biology or something. I forget. I have too many talented and gifted friends. ;_;

Man Metro Last Light looks awesome. I've got to finish 2033. I got distracted with other stuff when I was playing that. I was going to pick up Max Payne and Ghost Recon but I might play 2033 instead and wait till they are cheaper. Win win!

The ACA/TT stuff is fucking shameful beyond belief. Sad that it is kinda expected of them.

Also, teachers striking today around Victoria. I am pro them being paid more and not being subjected to 'pay for performance' schemes. Which from my understanding of teaching, don't work.

They've been doing this shit for years. Its disgraceful. Cash for comment is amazingly unethical. It's sad that for a lot of people those two shows are their main source of news.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
One of my friends speaks English, French, Japanese, Cantonese and Taiwanese. She is a fucking mental case. She also is working on a PhD in like, marine biology or something. I forget. I have too many talented and gifted friends. ;_;

whale biologist!

Bob Katter on The Circle? Must watch when I get home.

Handhelds are largely the domain of Japanese developers, I wouldn't expect megatons at an American event like E3.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is going to be huge, sales wise.

It will do New Super Mario Bros. numbers. To be expected with every sequel to the mainline titles regardless of what they show of it. A few TV ads around release and the continual stream of reminders will give it the usual long legs.

Although MAYBE people will come to the party on Rayman which could cut some sales, but most likely will just complement since there isn't any other similar titles that will do gangbusters.

Kritz

Banned
It's amazing how fast I go from "this game is the coolest thing I've ever done!" to "Wow this game's a piece of shit what the fuck am I even making?"

Too bad most of the code in this game isn't reuseable.

It's amazing how fast I go from "this game is the coolest thing I've ever done!" to "Wow this game's a piece of shit what the fuck am I even making?"

Too bad most of the code in this game isn't reuseable.
Time to practice making the code reusable! What's the URL for the block game again?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What?! Link!

Check the thread in gaming or just go to reddit.com/r/dota2

Check out dat blood animation on PA. Fuuu

Update will hit main client on monday, After the international qualifiers are done. Otherwise you can mess around with it in test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom