• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've just watched half of that 10min demo of Watch Dogs. All I could get from it was that it's been heavily inspired by (or designed by the same dudes who created/produced) The Saboteur. The protagonist even looks the same! Carries himself the same, too... same attitude, same interactions with the public, similar sorts of missions... there has to be some connection there.
they are both awesome games?

Also don't judge a book by half its cover.

Probably not. One was EA (Pandemic, California) and the other Ubisoft (Montreal). Engine is apparently custom, but you wouldn't expect much similarity anyway unless it both used off the shelf UE3 or something.

My only recent bogan encounter: a woman was on the run from an abusive bloke (her bloke, he'd been making threats), and she'd made it to Southbank. Where I was waiting for my train. And she'd phoned the police, and some had showed up. They waited. The abusive bloke showed up, no shirt or shoes, and he was basically too drunk to stand. Couple of police went to mind him - basically protecting him from walking over onto the tracks, really. The police told her there wasn't really much to do - "we're not relationship counsellors" was the repeated phrase - but that they could "give her a head start". So (I may actually have laughed at this point), they covered the drunk bloke's eyes while she jogged off towards the Gabba.

My usual experience with bogans is that they play amazingly dreadful rap at stupendous volume on the train and give I'm-fucken-crazy-don't-push-me stares at everyone in the carriage. That's one of the things I'll really miss.

Slack pricks. They're not relationship counselors but if the woman is afraid enough to have to run they can probably pick the guy up for DV.

Wallabies won! Woooo. Had awesome (and super expensive) seats. Only about 5 rows back from the fence. I managed to miss Genia's try while lined up for beers which was disappointing. Wales are a good team though. Warburton is pretty much a Pocock's long lost brother, and they've got some solid wingers.

After the game two ridiculously tanned Welsh girls then asked for directions to the ever classy Hotel LA (why can't they call it the Lord Alfred and avoid the LA reference all together?). They really did nothing for the overly tanned, slutty British girl stereotype.

Shaneus

Probably not. One was EA (Pandemic, California) and the other Ubisoft (Montreal). Engine is apparently custom, but you wouldn't expect much similarity anyway unless it both used off the shelf UE3 or something.
Not really referring to the engine, more the design I guess. Doubt they'd use an engine from a four year old game. They aren't Valve ;)
But the vibe is hardcore Saboteur. A rebel (I guess) in a world full of (to him) foreigners, trying to take down a bigger empire (I think?). It's far too similar to be coincidental.

they are both awesome games?

Also don't judge a book by half its cover.
I didn't say it was a bad thing ;) Just that there's something there that draws more parallels with Saboteur than with basically any other open-world game. Strikingly so.

Edit: Um, holy shit. This is creepy:
ljSUw.png

Thing is... THAT ISN'T ME.

And if y'all aren't doing anything for the next 20 mins, watch this. It's the third practice in the F1 at Montreal, but with zero commentary... just car/environment audio. It has to be experienced.

Edit #3: Hey reptile, you know the woman who was doing the Ubi conference? Guess who!

Rahk

I'm on episode 13 of Running Man now. It's hilarious.

4e78b07bd3ba6f7479749cae8e264dd6_640x640.jpg

Oh man. So so so good. Heated up some in the microwave too, it's really awesome warm.

Will be picking up more as soon as I see it.
I tried some a while back and thought it was gross, both chilled and heated. The weather wasn't cold at the time, but I doubt I'd enjoy it even if it was.

Bernbaum

So, trough sheer circumstance, I find myself in Toulouse on the night of the French 14's national championship and the cunts fucking win the thing.

Oh, and French cider > UK cider.
Their lager is still shithouse though

Extracted about 1kg of snot out of my nose so far today. Has the consistency of gummi bears. Single parent for the next two days so I doubt that I will be able to get over this cold before work :(

So, trough sheer circumstance, I find myself in Toulouse on the night of the French 14's national championship and the cunts fucking win the thing.

Oh, and French cider > UK cider.
Their lager is still shithouse though
Bernbaum gonna get laiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid

Choc

Banned
lulz Giraffes in Tokyo Jungle are hillarious. Can't jump for shit

just a protip if you are at interested Shane, its 3900 yen on the PSN store and you can buy a 5000 yen card online for $50 i've discovered.

edit: watched the non specific action figure nintendo video
LOL

i love how they can take the piss out of themselves. Reggie saying his body was ready is gold. At least Nintendo still has personality

Man I am thoroughly enjoying the new ghost recon. Its still a long way from the originals but its definitely more calm and considered than most modern shooters. With the occasional mounted machine gun segment along the way.

Yagharek

lulz Giraffes in Tokyo Jungle are hillarious. Can't jump for shit

just a protip if you are at interested Shane, its 3900 yen on the PSN store and you can buy a 5000 yen card online for $50 i've discovered.

edit: watched the non specific action figure nintendo video
LOL

i love how they can take the piss out of themselves. Reggie saying his body was ready is gold. At least Nintendo still has personality

Tokyo jungle looks stupid. Definitely buying it, love that shit.

Shaneus

Half litre, they are usually like $7-8 right? Safeway has them on special this week 3 for $18! Would be happy to pay $5 for half a litre of premium cider any day of the week!
Cheers for the tip, broseph! Scored 8x apple (all that was left!) and four pear to round it up to a dozen for $60. But just doing the maths, it works out to be a *tiny* bit more expensive than if you buy a box at Dan Murphy's. No big deal though, I'm sure I'll drink them :D

Cods: Do you think having the apple or pear warm could be worth trying as well? I'm keen for something different.

Also, damn if this doesn't sound nice:
HWDlx.jpg

I suppose if you added some sort of spices (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg or all spice maybe?) it may. When warmed it's mulled cider so maybe Google will have some better suggestions. Probably work best with the apple, but hey you have both, so why not try half a mug of each!

I find most of their ciders far too sweet for my tastes.
I have no problem with tart or bitter beers (though the Cantillon I had the other week was bordering on vinegar), but can't drink tart cider for some reason.

Omikron

Went to Collingwood children's farm this morning, was good, but super cold. Random pic:
NZC1j.jpg

Also, been enjoying diablo MP with marsh this weekend. Bizarre.

Went to Collingwood children's farm this morning, was good, but super cold.
How man kids do they currently have in captivity? Are the enclosure humane?

Out of curiosity, are the ducks there just to add some spice to the mix or are they for the kids to feed on?

As in the ducks are there for the snakes and the snakes are there for the kids -or- are the ducks there for the kids to fatten them up for the snakes?

Either way, I'm visiting next time I'm in Collingwood. Before that shit gets shut down.

That disney video game movie trailer is out! Wreck-it Ralph.
Choc'd but worth quoting again because it looks awesome. Already been vetoed by the fiancée though so I can't take the little guy :(
Damn Halo homage :(

I didn't say it was a bad thing ;) Just that there's something there that draws more parallels with Saboteur than with basically any other open-world game. Strikingly so.

Edit #3: Hey reptile, you know the woman who was doing the Ubi conference? Guess who!
I only meant that it is hard to judge a game based on a quick video put together for promotional purposes!

RE: Edit #3: Yeah that was the reason it wasn't gif worthy like Mr Caffeine last year. Also she is into video games and did a voice in the last Halo I am pretty sure I remember reading. FIrst time I actually knew who she was when she was Joey's super smart girlfriend towards the end of Friends where she ends up hooking up with Ross because they are both nerds. Was hilarious. And then of course, Archer.

Tokyo jungle looks stupid. Definitely buying it, love that shit.
Same, had it bookmarked for a year now, for some reason I thought it got cancelled at some point or at least the western release did. Like a month or so after the earthquake I thought.

Cheers for the tip, broseph! Scored 8x apple (all that was left!) and four pear to round it up to a dozen for $60. But just doing the maths, it works out to be a *tiny* bit more expensive than if you buy a box at Dan Murphy's. No big deal though, I'm sure I'll drink them :D

Cods: Do you think having the apple or pear warm could be worth trying as well? I'm keen for something different.
I didn't mean to buy a whole heap! I only grabbed 3 because if we have 12 of them sitting around you can't help but crack one or two open every night! Would become an expensive habit to do that.

RE: Cods: not worth trying. Cold Rekordlig works well because they brew it with the expectation that people will drink it cold. Loses a lot of its taste when it warms up. That is what their Winter mixes are for!

Went to Collingwood children's farm this morning, was good, but super cold.
I guess you don't drink shandies either because they are too fizzy. Pfffft.

Sending the little guy to the in-laws farm tomorrow so I can get some work done around the house and recover from this cold. Not only does he get to feed the pigs and the chickens on tractors and shit but he gets to eat them later on too! Bacon and eggs tastes even better when you have hand fed it yourself!

Watched 21 Jump Street last night. It was pretty great! Very predictable and the change in character for the human female love interest in the second half was unacceptable but it was well directed, well written and very well acted. A very good movie to waste an hour and a half have a smile and a laugh to.

4/5

What's Melb-gaf gonna be up to the week of the 25th?

Oh no! :( You think it'll be too scary for him?
I'll be in town at the Matilda Bay Brewery for my Bucks night on the 23rd!

Also we (well, mainly her) are trying to avoid exposing him to guns and violence for a while. I expect that within a year we will have to sit down and explain it all to him properly though. She wants him to retain his innocence for a little longer I guess.

What happened to Danoss?
Was a bit short to a guy in the Camera Equipment thread. Was still being really helpful to multiple other people in there so I doubt it is more than a week long ban.

Also I steer clear of anything camera/photography related as most of the people in those threads have terrible self image esteem problems and as soon as you try and give them some constructive criticism or call them out on something they immediately arc up and think you are taking a shit on them. I think there are some brothers in one of the threads that I recall being real pricks.

evlcookie asked in steamchat as you asked here.. and many of us responded.. but he never relayed

most asnwers: work. unless you meant the weekend?

looks like I'd better get in steam chat then.

I'll probably be around for the weekend, but a weeknight might be better - providing everyone is free of course.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
looks like I'd better get in steam chat then.

I'll probably be around for the weekend, but a weeknight might be better - providing everyone is free of course.

lots of melb gaf doesnt live near the city so that might be trouble for weeknight but im sure something can be organised

drinks in city/fitzroy on the 28th LOCK IT IN MELBGAF

lots of melb gaf doesnt live near the city so that might be trouble for weeknight but im sure something can be organised

drinks in city/fitzroy on the 28th LOCK IT IN MELBGAF

Well I'll be staying in Sunshine. I have no idea how far that is from the city..

This is exciting! Two gaf meetups in the space of a week.

Looks like D's gone for a month then...

:( He should have stopped when he said he was leaving. But wow, he really does seem to know his stuff when it comes to cameras.

playing through policenauts for the first time

how the fuck was this not localised! its awesome
How the fuck don't Konami force Kojima to create a new IP for them every year since they are all fucking gold.

Fan localisation was pretty good! Love that game and Snatcher. I really should Polk into the Sdatcher radio play he did with Suda and see if it is in English yet.

Also I steer clear of anything camera/photography related as most of the people in those threads have terrible self image esteem problems
Photography snobs are the worst of the fucking worst. Dare to suggest a zoom lens? Uh oh. Considering a Sony DSLR? Don't talk to me.

One of my favourite photo snob gotchas was a 'vote out bad photos' group on Flickr a couple of years back. Idiots voted out an iconic Cartier-Bresson shot because it was a little out of focus.

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com.au/2006/06/cartier-bresson-booted-from-flickr.html?m=1

Well I'll be staying in Sunshine. I have no idea how far that is from the city.
Not that close. Maybe a Friday evening meetup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom