• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that got me about that thread was that it was about the one negative thing he said. It's just classic GAF at the moment. Everything sucks and the world is about to end in flames.

The interesting part of what he said was the AR glasses stuff. That could either be a game changer or a massive flop.
Yeah when someone said that Carmack had nothing relevant to say about next gen I couldn't even bring myself to reply. The GB video about his VR stuff was amazing and for anyone to say it is unimportant is just insane. I would expect to see something VR being used as the late next gen solution to extend the lifespan of the consoles the same way that Move/Kinect have been.

Also, worst bit? Tony fucking Martin, dude. And I was talking about the "genioos" bit. Couldn't use that word and link to anything else on there :p
I know you used it for a reason but I was salty :)
Good accent, average impression.

And Judith Lucy was the worst, the WORST part of The Late Show.
Because she was a girl and girls aren't funny right guys hahahah
I agree with #1 but #2 is obviously wrong because Jane Kennedy was cool.
True I had completely blanked her out of my mind since she doesn't surface as much as usual now that GNW is done a dusted (or is it?).

Also Kitty Flanegan makes up for the terrible female comedians easily.

I thought Yukes! was another Starbreeze situation where all the long standing employees left the company?

Dumb, drunk and racist is on on ABC2.

On the other end of the spectrum, my sister's doing Japanese in high school at the moment. Three years (two and a half) into it, and she still hasn't completed learning katakana. :lol

Yeah, the high school Japanese (or any languages really) is really really bad. 5+ years of study and unless you do extra stuff outside school you graduate with basically no languages skills at all. I never did katakana actually, since I moved states and the curriculum was different =/ we've covered 700 kanji at uni and I still can't write katakana properly. lol.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
This thread moves super fast when you can't post to it at work.

And Judith Lucy was the worst, the WORST part of The Late Show.

Because she was a girl and girls aren't funny right guys hahahah

Don't ban me

lol.

Eh, I find a higher percentage of female comedians that I have seen / heard un funny compared to male comedians.

Some can be wonderfully hilarious. some can be awful (just like men).

also new micallef show. of course its good!

Clipper

That new Shaun Micallef show, is it any good?

It's got its great moments, but sometimes it goes a little to far. Pretty much like most of Shaun's stuff. I do enjoy it and recommend it if you like his other stuff. Check it out on iView if you haven't seen it.

Deeku

We didn't even learn plain form for our hsc:/ Everything was just masu desu. It's pretty odd now that I think about it.

But it was beginner advanced so we didn't really learn that much to begin with in the 3 or so years. I think most of it is covered in like half a semester of beginner uni japanese lol.

Yagharek

Dont forget to watch Life's Too Short tonight. Saw it last week. Ricky Gervais keeps getting better, and the show is a cracker.

Loved the 'making of' bit too. "Is he going to keep walking?"

Jintor

We didn't even learn plain form for our hsc:/ Everything was just masu desu. It's pretty odd now that I think about it.

But it was beginner advanced so we didn't really learn that much to begin with in the 3 or so years. I think most of it is covered in like half a semester of beginner uni japanese lol.

Can confirm lol, not that I stayed for all of high school jpn

Omikron

dnUaM.png

I BLAME SHANEUS FOR MAKING THIS SUGGESTION HE CAN'T REMEMBER!

Excuse the doubling up. Its in testing. :p

Also, does anyone need any other games than those 2 listed? I think not. I think not.

maladroid

Yeah, the high school Japanese (or any languages really) is really really bad. 5+ years of study and unless you do extra stuff outside school you graduate with basically no languages skills at all. I never did katakana actually, since I moved states and the curriculum was different =/ we've covered 700 kanji at uni and I still can't write katakana properly. lol.
Yup, I did Greek for my first four years in high school. I remember podosfairo and portokali and nothing else (It did help with uni stats though, haha). Italian for all of primary, and I've got.. nothing. And haha, it's not that hard. I can't for the life of me tell the difference between 'shi' and 'tsu', or 'so' and 'n' at a glance, though.

Ptchah. My French functions.
Have you had the chance to use it, though? 'If you don't use it, you lose it' seems most applicable to languages. Only getting to use it in a class environment and the odd text isn't really enough to make it stick. I suppose that's what I get for not just doing French from the very beginning. :\

I vaguely remember doing polite to plain form conversions in my second semester. I think it was one of those feel good moments, where you realised you didn't have to finish everything with a 'u'. ^^ You're right, it is a bit odd not being able to speak to your peers.

Yeah, I think everything from high school Japanese is supposed to be covered within the first year, though uni tends to cram a lot more vocab in.

Ptchah. My French functions.

Well, European languages are supposed to take half as long to master. I'm thinking about learning one for comparison...

Do you get much opportunity to use it?

Have you had the chance to use it, though? 'If you don't use it, you lose it' seems most applicable to languages. Only getting to use it in a class environment and the odd text isn't really enough to make it stick. I suppose that's what I get for not just doing French from the very beginning. :\
You really need to create those chances though. When I first got back from Japan I was really depressed about not being able to speak it anymore, but you find like minded people who you can speak it with (even if they aren't native speakers) and it still helps a lot (plus books etc, and seeing the Japanese news on SBS also at least made me feel better about the language being there). That's probably one of the problems with high school languages. They never show you that the language is out there, and a lot of kids just think its pointless. Kids should practise with each other. Actually, I really think they should be learning it from preschool, but that's another matter I guess :p

midonnay

On the other end of the spectrum, my sister's doing Japanese in high school at the moment. Three years (two and a half) into it, and she still hasn't completed learning katakana. :lol

hehehe, in high school we did katakana and hiragana in goddamn three days

say what you want about mnemonics but it works.

the only ones I can really remember is A = antenna, O = golf course and Ne = Netball

I think this was the book..... pictures look familiar...

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...Qfo3_WtDw&ved=0CF4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

the only ones I can really remember is A = antenna, O = golf course and Ne = Netball

Those were fun! I know a lot of teachers scoff at how silly it is, but like you said..

I remember "nu" was for noodle, because it looked like chopsticks holding a noodle and an egg, and then "me" for mess, because was the same but without the egg, which you dropped on the floor.

Deeku

inu is dog, so nu is the one with the tail!

Also, I always hated writing mu because it always ended up looking kinda wonky.

Oh yeah, and mu looks like a cow!

maladroid

Yeah, I think everything from high school Japanese is supposed to be covered within the first year, though uni tends to cram a lot more vocab in.

Well, European languages are supposed to take half as long to master. I'm thinking about learning one for comparison...

You really need to create those chances though. When I first got back from Japan I was really depressed about not being able to speak it anymore, but you find like minded people who you can speak it with (even if they aren't native speakers) and it still helps a lot (plus books etc, and seeing the Japanese news on SBS also at least made me feel better about the language being there). That's probably one of the problems with high school languages. They never show you that the language is out there, and a lot of kids just think its pointless. Kids should practise with each other. Actually, I really think they should be learning it from preschool, but that's another matter I guess :p
I thought the extended time in high school would lend itself to more vocab learning. I felt like there was a lot of focus on grammar, with vocab thrown in there to give you something to practice particular grammar structures. ^^'

You really should. The speed you pick up the grammar is ridiculously quick (at least in comparison to Japanese). I felt like my lack of vocab is what hampered my ability to compose thoughts, whereas everything was lacking given a similar amount of time spent on Japanese. ^^' There are obviously things that are still quite foreign. I touched on it briefly, but there are tenses just used in writing, and I never really understood genders. Why moustache is feminine, I still don't know..

And you're right about making chances. Just covering beginner's level in a language, it's hard not to feel self-conscious. Was alright with trying to compose texts, but speaking was something else entirely. Felt a lot more comfortable using it on non-speakers than people who'd be able to pick apart my mistakes. It's why I mentioned regretting not just doing it from the beginning. I can't know for sure, but I feel like I could have left with a stronger foundation before I ran out of electives if I did. I think second/third language acquisition is important. It's easier to absorb that sort of stuff before the age of 7ish, right? Even with languages similar to English, it's cool to pick up on the different perspectives embedded within a language.

So many studied and none mastered. Even though I'm past that age, I really should keep going on with at least one of them. :p

I think this was the book..... pictures look familiar...

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...Qfo3_WtDw&ved=0CF4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
Haha, your school was pretty pro then. I guess you have to have some kind of buy-in with that sort of stuff. I just drilled it into me for that semester (and into all of my lecture notes, regardless of subject, hehe). The only one I can remember like that is 'no' because it looks like a 'no' sign (no smoking, no u-turns, etc).

edit: With all you Japanese students in here, can anybody tell me what the point of 'ヲ' is? I've always wondered.

So many studied and none mastered. Even though I'm past that age, I really should keep going on with at least one of them. :p

Do eeeet!

With European grammar, I'm kinda worried it'll be more difficult. Japanese grammar makes so much sense, and modifying verbs is so easy.

edit: With all you Japanese students in here, can anybody tell me what the point of 'ヲ' is? I've always wondered.

EDIT: crap I misread it. Um, I've noticed comics sometimes write whole portions in katakana for effect (like if a foreigner is trying to speak Japanese).
I just realised that much of katakana has been shamelessly stolen from Korean -_-

Shan you can import games and know what the fuck is going on

thats a plus

:)

lol, I guess :p I got through pokemon etc okay, but honestly I'm not sure whether having kanji I don't know, or not having any kanji is harder. What about you Deek?

http://i.imgur.com/VW5pp.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

:O Where'd you find that?!?

midonnay

^^^^^^^ yeah, pretty sure that is WO..... katakana....

sure as hell never written it since (or read it much either)..... yeah probably onomatopeia.

:O Where'd you find that?!?

I googled A for antenna :)

the books

"Hiragana/Katakana in 48 minutes" came up by Hiroko C Quackenbush & Mieko Ohso

edit: googlefu flex

And yet most textbooks, etc don't even mention ヲ at all.

Please realize that the katakana section is for people at a level where they actually need to learn katakana (total beginners). The character is on the chart if you need to learn it later.

ヲフ for a dog barking?
I suppose わんわん isn't any more accurate...

-Tae Kim

http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=3614

を's use was relegated to particles usage with writing reforms in the meiji/post-ww2 period. Many words that are now written with お used to be written with を, such as 男(をとこ) and 女(をんな). Hiragana and katakana used to be completely interchangeable (usage depended on the type of document) so you would also see ヲトコ etc.

I believe the Japanese constitution is largely written in katakana and is one of the few places you can see ヲ (as a particle) in a modern text.

interesting....never thought about it before.

Deeku

lol, I guess :p I got through pokemon etc okay, but honestly I'm not sure whether having kanji I don't know, or not having any kanji is harder. What about you Deek?
Yeah that's tough, but I prefer kanji because it just makes everything easier to read. Plus it's an opportunity to learn a really wide variety of words, which is half the reason why I try play most japan releases in japanese. Also, since I don't actually watch much anime or drama, it's a good way to get more exposure to casual conversation stuff - things that you don't get from news watching, blog reading, news articles, jpop etc.

Biggest problems? Kansai ben characters...>< And also random writing of normal words in katakana, and random lazy contraction stuff.

Omikron

So I woke up this morning thinking about how to fix the ui posted above. Damn code projects.

Are you prepared x3n?

Steam stats? lambentstew.com/webblog/miniproject/steamanalysis

Order from Asos came yesterday. One of the socks was slightly damaged, still wearable but thought ill see what they will do. Sent them an email last night, wake up this morning with an email from them. Sorry for the damage, a new pair will be sent out keep the old pair. 

If you cannot tell I'm impressed. Amazon level of service. 

real estate agents can get fucked

So much.

Goddam it's foggy in Brisbane this morning, it's like that Steven king novel "the mist".

Looked pretty cool.

senahorse

mist1.jpg

mist2.jpg

Those are cranes. When we pulled into work we were both amazed to see a full moon up...it was the sun (iphone didn't capture it well unfortunately).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom