• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

You now owe me a life debt.

ilx7WyDXePuW6.jpg

So looking at the recent E3, media create sales (vita has a pulse) of P4 and whatnot, it completely confounds me as to why portables dont seem to get much attention in the west.

They sell well enough like DS did, and although 3ds/vita are yet to get a big title like nintendogs/braintraining/gta stories, they are still doing alright.

Meanwhile home consoles seem to be in the end-gen doldrums, with very few big new games coming out and sales dropping off a cliff.

I wonder if western devs will ever support handhelds?

At the moment it seems that outside of nintendo and atlus, the only other people working on them are "2nd tier" studios on vita and ubisoftz gamez.

It's such a woefully undertapped market. There is no reason why, with proper support from everywhere, that DS/PSP couldnt have both reached 150M or even 200M, and their successors would already be well on the way too.
Sony Fucking Bend. Studio Fucking Liverpool. *salute*

Also GAME firesale was a week ago, still waiting for them to ship. Only like one store left in VIC so no go on bumrushing a clearance sale like DSE.

Yagharek

Sony Fucking Bend. Studio Fucking Liverpool. *salute*

Also GAME firesale was a week ago, still waiting for them to ship. Only like one store left in VIC so no go on bumrushing a clearance sale like DSE.

Sony Bend are one of the "B teams" who seem to get hand-me-down IPs to turn into portable games. They are technically very proficient (I think they did GoW PSP, Daxter or was that another dev?). They should be one of the leading lights for portable gaming along with WayForward. edit: Ready at Dawn is another good one. They did God of War PSP and Okami on Wii.

Instead, neither team gets the respect or sales they deserve, or the chance for developing a big new IP with a big push.

SCEE Liverpool Psygnosis are wizards.

you may be right.... Darling nearly got killed with a stray punch

http://i.minus.com/iKvHFBNkyFoT.gif

Looks innocuous to me. But I dont think I can make a joke there. So I wont.

Yagharek

Uh oh.

Asylum seeker boat with 200 people on board has capsized, 120NM from Christmas Island. 40 or so people sitting on top of it, and lots of others in the water with lifejackets.

This is going to be very ugly in terms of lives lost and mudslinging on dry land.

Kritz

Banned
Kritz, since youre not on irc and you asked earlier today about game dev things. SA is doing one for the month of July: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488014 The theme is Balls. We could potentially adapt your weird genre mash idea into something that has balls as a main theme/mechanic.

Eh. Constraints are good and all, but according to that we can't get "officially" started until next month. One and a half weeks away. And I will be spending a week travelling across Queensland getting awfully lost, cold and drunk.

I think we should just try to work out what we want to do (design doc stuff), and then get cracking on pumping out fast and quick builds.

Dead Man

Uh oh.

Asylum seeker boat with 200 people on board has capsized, 120NM from Christmas Island. 40 or so people sitting on top of it, and lots of others in the water with lifejackets.

This is going to be very ugly in terms of lives lost and mudslinging on dry land.

Ugh, yeah going to be nasty.

In semi related news...

1pm Saturday is the Walk Together event.

At 1pm on June 23, the Saturday of Refugee Week, we're inviting everyone who is a part of the Australian community to 'Walk Together' in recognition that although we've all arrived here via different pathways we share a common Australian journey.

We're Aboriginal Australians, we're refugees, we're skilled migrants, we're long-term Australians, we're international students, we're asylum seekers... we're people. It's time to Walk Together into a future where diversity is celebrated, fear is replaced with welcome and where everyone belongs.

It's time to walk together.

More info at the link, walks are being held in most capitals and a few other towns too.

Edit: I know most of you will have seen this, but it bears repeating:

asylum_-infographic.jpg

Even if you think Australia takes enough refugees, our processing time is appalling.

Yagharek

also, I caught some of that drunk, dumb and racist show last night. That dickhead with the burka car was insane. I personally have no admiration for the garment, or any philosophical admiration for religion at that, but I dont think its right to go screaming at someone "YOUR RELIGION IS WRONG YOU SHOULD CHANGE" when theyre not doing anything.

If someone wants to engage in discussion or debate, thats fine. But unprovoked challenges come off as asinine.

asylum_-infographic.jpg

Even if you think Australia takes enough refugees, our processing time is appalling.

Interesting example, seeing as Canada is the same size as Australia geographically and population wise. Pretty much, anyway.

Where are they coming from though? What are the demographics of the asylum seekers? Australia is a bit of an odd one out seeing as its not connected to any other continent, but Canada must surely have a lot more people from central and South America, yes?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I wrote that GAME story a couple days ago, its been sitting unpublished... sorry.

also, I caught some of that drunk, dumb and racist show last night. That dickhead with the burka car was insane. I personally have no admiration for the garment, or any philosophical admiration for religion at that, but I dont think its right to go screaming at someone "YOUR RELIGION IS WRONG YOU SHOULD CHANGE" when theyre not doing anything.

If someone wants to engage in discussion or debate, thats fine. But unprovoked challenges come off as asinine.

Interesting example, seeing as Canada is the same size as Australia geographically and population wise. Pretty much, anyway.

Where are they coming from though? What are the demographics of the asylum seekers? Australia is a bit of an odd one out seeing as its not connected to any other continent, but Canada must surely have a lot more people from central and South America, yes?

I didn't really like dumb, drunk and racist. It seemed like the show had already made up its mind that we were, and focused way too much on the negative aspects. I've never come across someone so confrontational in public, so for the Indian people to be exposed to that on their first day just felt like the show was setting a poor example. I hope it won't be aired in India.
Most Australian refugees come from Iran and Burma, so yeah I imagine the demographics would be different.

Dead Man

Google says Canadas population is 35 million, so a bit more, but the UNHCR numbers are interesting:
Australia
iMJ6L.png

Canada
TRVcg.png

As for where they are coming from, if it is like Australia, over 2/3's of asylum seekers arrive by plane. They can come from anywhere.

midonnay

I think the delay in procedure is more a punitive measure than anything....

In alot of cases, prospective refugees don't have proper identification (whether it is through their home country being in strife or deliberate destruction of documents to avoid deportation from Malaysia or Indonesia).

However presumably the Australian government can't use this as an excuse to deny refugee status (as most of the claimants are successful in the end) so in retaliation they take their sweet time processing claims.

Ironically claimants who fly by plane probably don't have this extreme delay because they would need proper identification to get past security checks.

eg: the case of Ahmed Al-Kateb

The High Court ruled that while Australia couldn't deport him (even though he wanted to go home to Kuwait) as he was essentially stateless, he could be placed in indefinite detention (7 years before he finally was let in).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Kateb_v_Godwin

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/10/26/1192941339538.html

Also lots of people here weren't born in Australia anyway. We just need some kind of test to make sure they like bacon, Red Rock Deli chips and Karnivool. Then they can stay.

Sony Bend are one of the "B teams" who seem to get hand-me-down IPs to turn into portable games. They are technically very proficient (I think they did GoW PSP, Daxter or was that another dev?). They should be one of the leading lights for portable gaming along with WayForward. edit: Ready at Dawn is another good one. They did God of War PSP and Okami on Wii.

Instead, neither team gets the respect or sales they deserve, or the chance for developing a big new IP with a big push.

SCEE Liverpool Psygnosis are wizards.

Bend are just a small team that never stepped up to full PS3 development that have still done awesome games on the PSP with their own IP and now Uncharted on the Vita. Hilarious that their first game was Bubsy 3D!
Ready at Dawn are currently at work on a next gen title after having done some awesome spin-off titles, I think I probably prefer the PSP God of Wars more than GOW2.

I wrote that GAME story a couple days ago, its been sitting unpublished... sorry.
mUOuN.jpg

Yagharek

I didn't really like dumb, drunk and racist. It seemed like the show had already made up its mind that we were, and focused way too much on the negative aspects. I've never come across someone so confrontational in public, so for the Indian people to be exposed to that on their first day just felt like the show was setting a poor example. I hope it won't be aired in India.
Most Australian refugees come from Iran and Burma, so yeah I imagine the demographics would be different.

I think Ive seen a few of those sorts of people preaching on soap boxes near southern cross station in melbourne and near that church margaret court is at in perth. Silly fools.

Anyway, if you think the show is too confrontational then its probably not directed at you.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Alan Jones brigade outside the detention centre that was advertised with the first episode. Racist pensioners everywhere.

Google says Canadas population is 35 million, so a bit more, but the UNHCR numbers are interesting:

As for where they are coming from, if it is like Australia, over 2/3's of asylum seekers arrive by plane. They can come from anywhere.

I guess so. But there is still a different proportion of people who get there or here under their own steam. Australia seems to get middle east/asian refugees. Italy/western europe get a lot from north africa. I guess I was looking more at the geographical factor.

Also lots of people here weren't born in Australia anyway. We just need some kind of test to make sure they like bacon, Red Rock Deli chips and Karnivool. Then they can stay.

Bend are just a small team that never stepped up to full PS3 development that have still done awesome games on the PSP with their own IP and now Uncharted on the Vita. Hilarious that their first game was Bubsy 3D!
Ready at Dawn are currently at work on a next gen title after having done some awesome spin-off titles, I think I probably prefer the PSP God of Wars more than GOW2.

Census today says 1 in 4 Australians were't even born here. Big change is underway. I imagine that will upset a lot of people courtesy of this weeks scare stories from ACA/TT/News Ltd.

In other news I successfully got a useful IF function working finally. Drugs and alcohol have destroyed my fragile little mind :(

Amazing image, but fuck that song. Ive only heard it once at the E3 videos and its stuck in my head permanently for some fucking reason. Not even Led Zeppelin can kick it out.

I may need to resort to desperate measures.

ie
REPTILES AWESOME SONG OF THE DAY ALERT ALERT!

TRY THIS ON FOR SIZE!

Also Naked & Famous? Best album of 2010! Woo! Glitchy! Moody! Every song is awesome, all killer no filler.

I guess so. But there is still a different proportion of people who get there or here under their own steam. Australia seems to get middle east/asian refugees. Italy/western europe get a lot from north africa. I guess I was looking more at the geographical factor.

Census today says 1 in 4 Australians were't even born here. Big change is underway. I imagine that will upset a lot of people courtesy of this weeks scare stories from ACA/TT/News Ltd.
A large part of that is their exposure to the country they want to move to. If they hear that Australia is an awesome place to live and someone offers them a "way" to get there they will go for it. The closer the country the more likely it is that they will make it their destination, as long as that country is desirable of course.

I was going to quote that statistic but someone said something about the vast majority being people from England and I haven't actually read the damn thing yet, will be a good read at lunch time I expect.

Shaneus

So, just jumping in on this thread for the first time today. What did I miss? Any barginz or nooz?

PS. New Futurama makes me happy. "Oh biscuits!" will be introduced into my vocab ASAP.

Amazing image, but fuck that song. Ive only heard it once at the E3 videos and its stuck in my head permanently for some fucking reason. Not even Led Zeppelin can kick it out.

I may need to resort to desperate measures.

ie
It is seriously the catchiest song of all time. You hear it once and it's in your head all day. But that image is amazing.

I spent all day studying the census data and my story didn't even go on the paper. I think I've got a human angle that I can use with it tomorrow thankfully.

midonnay

hmmm Mary Jo Fisher resigns from parliament :/

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...hoplifting-again/story-fn59niix-1226404681902

Sad in the end I guess .... obviously suffering from some issues.

SOUTH Australian Liberal senator Mary-Jo Fisher has resigned from parliament after being reported by police for shoplifting for a second time.

As revealed exclusively by The Australian Online today, the senator was reported, but not arrested by police, after officers were called to a Coles supermarket on Saturday at about 5.30pm in the Adelaide suburb of Findon.

Police sources said the senator, who was cleared in November of separate shoplifting charges, was reported by police for allegedly shoplifting assorted foodstuff worth $60.40.

She was apprehended in the car park by store security.

Police last night said they would be releasing a statement.

Senator Fisher did return calls for comment, but later released a statement to announce her resignation from the senate from August 10.

She in the statement that she was resigning on medical advice after experiencing a ''further panic attack, similar but less severe than the one which caused such grief 18 months ago''.

hmmm Mary Jo Fisher resigns from parliament :/

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...hoplifting-again/story-fn59niix-1226404681902"She in the statement that she was resigning on medical advice"

Someone needs to proofread their articles =/

I think Ive seen a few of those sorts of people preaching on soap boxes near southern cross station in melbourne and near that church margaret court is at in perth. Silly fools.

Anyway, if you think the show is too confrontational then its probably not directed at you.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Alan Jones brigade outside the detention centre that was advertised with the first episode. Racist pensioners everywhere.

I'm not sure I found it confrontational. I'm just bothered by the fact that they appear to be giving these Indian people an overly negative tour, which is obviously not going to help relations. We should be working to fix things, not mess them up further for entertainment.

Bioshock info.

Amazing. Did you ever play Elemental Master?

This shit had me in tears so much. I did end up beating it but fuck, my little mind was turned to mush and I don't play shmups much any more.

All at once I wanted to be able to shoot sideways while always knowing doubling the shooting ability would have meant for even more killer enemy patterns.

So good though. LOVED that it was a dude walking around rather than a fucking space ship.

Yagharek

This shit had me in tears so much. I did end up beating it but fuck, my little mind was turned to mush and I don't play shmups much any more.

All at once I wanted to be able to shoot sideways while always knowing doubling the shooting ability would have meant for even more killer enemy patterns.

So good though. LOVED that it was a dude walking around rather than a fucking space ship.

I only picked up EM when video city in moonah were clearing out all their old megadrive/ps1 games sometime after ps2 launched.

$10. Played it to death, game was actually quite easy I found, no idea why.

From the moment the intro began I knew it was awesome. Something about it just clicked for me.

Shaneus

Oh man, this track made me want to murder my next door neighbour and cuddle his Sega CD in my room for the rest of my life.
Did you ever play any of the older AD&D games on PC? My brother and I got pretty hardcore into Pool of Radiance, Secret of the Silver Blades etc. So great.

Is this image real?
Is that a quiddich thingy from Harry Potter?
Edit: Holy fuck, it's a reference to Goatse? Fucking AMAZING. I wonder if that's why it got third place...

PS. Elemental Master. Loved it.
PPS. Reptile: Any barginz/nooz missed from today? Only just came into this thread a little bit ago.
PPS. New Futurama is, surprisingly, not as shit as I was expecting. Quite good, actually! Both episodes would probably be not out of place as filler-to-good shows in the original series run. Srsly.

Did you ever play any of the older AD&D games on PC? My brother and I got pretty hardcore into Pool of Radiance, Secret of the Silver Blades etc. So great.

PPS. Reptile: Any barginz/nooz missed from today? Only just came into this thread a little bit ago.
PPS. New Futurama is, surprisingly, not as shit as I was expecting. Quite good, actually! Both episodes would probably be not out of place as filler-to-good shows in the original series run. Srsly.

Yessssss.
Pool of Radiance along with Pool of Darkness. Also Descent to Undermountain, ToEE and Planescape Torment consumed me along with Baldurs Gate of course. Shadow Over Mystara import was awesome fun back when my neighbour could talk his family into spending obscene amounts of money on Sega shit.

Bargins? Not overly if you already own Fahrenheit and aren't interested in a 360 from Target or KMart or a 3DS.

Also Yamaoka!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just played so. much. Pikmin.

nearly finished Pikmin 1 in one sitting. I need to go outsi--ohmygod it's dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom