• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

So I guess Bioware is going to maybe possibly be doing something to the ending? Not sure if want. You fucked up already. You don't get to take it back.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I think it starts at 12 our time so you should be ok.

6pm pacific daylight time and if it's located in San Fran then it's 2pm now.

I think that's right :/

oipic

So I have dota2 beta access, never played the genre, shall be interesting.

Me too this morning. Looks like the beta is being dished out in great numbers at the moment, perhaps we're not too far from a release?

Now to squeeze in some practice games before publicly shaming myself.

Omikron

Me too this morning. Looks like the beta is being dished out in great numbers at the moment, perhaps we're not too far from a release?

Now to squeeze in some practice games before publicly shaming myself.

Yeah, definitely seems like they have chucked a bunch out. Which is cool. Just loading up Steam at work to see if its in my list already :p

So my Touchpad refuses to go online. Keeps bringing up 'no internet connection' while it is still seeing my router perfectly fine.
Looks like rebooting the router did the trick, wait, maybe not. If it's on ICS, mine does that occasionally as well. Just go into the wireless settings and 'forget' the connection and then connect again. Also remember that ICS on the TouchPad is still very immature, so you should expect things to stop working. Chrome occasionally just totally quits out, though I can reopen it and it restores all the tabs.

This is it. Bomba sale of an entire games retail company for a change. Zavvi next, please.
Why? I've never had a problem with Zavvi or The Hut, and I've been using them for a couple of years. No delivery has ever taken more than three weeks and usually two works is the average. Personally I'd be annoyed to see them go because of their prices and reliability.

Management Consulting
Been watching House of Lies?

I'm sure I signed up for the DOTA 2 beta. Guess not. Anyone got a DOTA 2 key spare? Do you even get invites? It doesn't seem like it...

Clipper

SydGAF Board Gamers, I have good news and bad news about our next meeting (this Sunday).

The good news is that my Munchkin package should arrive tomorrow, so we'll be able to throw in a bunch of expansions and go crazy with huge decks and shenanigans.

The bad news is that I've got a bit of a sniffle. I doubt I'll be contagious on Sunday, but I thought I'd put the warning out there now if this bothers anyone. If it does bother you, let me know so I can tell you whether I'm better or not by game day.

On the last page there are a few with actual problems, but most seem to say Zavvi is fine for them, and there are some whinging that they didn't get their game in under a week.

I've never had to deal with Zavvi/The Hut with an actual problem since all my ordered games have arrived (I'm guessing 20 or so from them and OGS in two years) and I don't remember any taking any longer than three weeks. From that thread I sort of get that, yet again, everyone is complaining because of their sense of entitlement.

Edit: Oh, actually Skyward Sword took quite a long time from OGS, because I was away from work for two weeks over Christmas and it didn't arrive before I left for the year, even though it was supposed to. That was probably a month. Better make a thread.

Bernbaum

Can someone with a deft command of communication (preferably Fredescu and not some illiterate pigfucking idiot) please select or augment one of the following reasons as to why many people are disappointed with Mass Effect 3's ending.

I have not played the game, and will not be able to do so until 2013.

It's a hard thing to ask, but I'm trying to get the 'vibe' without any major spoilers.

1) The ending invokes a deus ex machina
2) The ending makes a large swathe of player choices seem inconsequential or trivial
3) One or more characters die in a post-game cutscene
4) The ending is some obscure sci-fi absurdness that doesn't fit the Mass Effect mythos.
5) The ending is pissweak and lacks closure

I am a big baby.

Choc

Banned
Blame the government for poor business models and/or management? :)

blame the government for not being competitive in a global marketplace

Canada has major incentives for game dev, hence they have a lot. The US has low tax rates and even Australia has tax breaks for creative works (including gaming now as of last year i think)

if you are CEO of a multinational game corporation, you going where the tax breaks are. Shareholders would demand it.

Bern:

2) The ending makes a large swathe of player choices seem inconsequential or trivial

says the illiterate pig fucking idiot :(

Basically what drives the ending is entirely controlled within ME3.

When you pay money for something, you are entitled to receive it. There are a bunch of horror stories in that thread.
Most certainly, and that's why I mentioned that I've always received my games. The sense of entitlement to which I'm referring is the fact that people are ordering from a discount store yet expecting to receive their goods as quickly as a behemoth like Amazon.

If I want a game quickly, or a Collector's Edition, I will most certainly not order it through Zavvi and will instead drive to a local store and buy it, for a great deal more. If I'm prepared to wait, then OGS or Zavvi it is. I reserve the right to change my mind about them, but in my experience Zavvi are fine as long as you lower your expectations (in accordance with the price).

Omikron

Can someone with a deft command of communication (preferably Fredescu and not some illiterate pigfucking idiot) please select or augment one of the following reasons as to why many people are disappointed with Mass Effect 3's ending.

It's a hard thing to ask, but I'm trying to get the 'vibe' without any major spoilers.

4) The ending is some obscure sci-fi absurdness that doesn't fit the Mass Effect mythos.

I am a big baby.

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

Fredescu

The sense of entitlement to which I'm referring is the fact that people are ordering from a discount store yet expecting to receive their goods as quickly as a behemoth like Amazon.
If you don't receive your stuff within the quote shipping time, you've a right to complain, no matter how cheap it is.

Zavvi are fine as long as you lower your expectations (in accordance with the price).
Expectations that are only made through experience, and not made clear on their website.

Yagharek

Most certainly, and that's why I mentioned that I've always received my games. The sense of entitlement to which I'm referring is the fact that people are ordering from a discount store yet expecting to receive their goods as quickly as a behemoth like Amazon.

If I want a game quickly, or a Collector's Edition, I will most certainly not order it through Zavvi and will instead drive to a local store and buy it, for a great deal more. If I'm prepared to wait, then OGS or Zavvi it is. I reserve the right to change my mind about them, but in my experience Zavvi are fine as long as you lower your expectations (in accordance with the price).

In my experience Zavvi take 2 to 3 times longer than ozgameshop, the games dont necessarily arrive, they have a fucked up automated system that lies about what you get sent and what you dont, and customer service takes a week to respond to any request.

Jintor

I am a big baby.

Mainly 2. A fair amount of 1, but your mileage may vary. 5 also, but I could have coped if it had been well-delivered.

Can't expound right now, in lecture.

Choc said:
Basically what drives the ending is entirely controlled within ME3.

Yes, in the last fucking 5 seconds of the game

If you don't receive your stuff within the quote shipping time, you've a right to complain, no matter how cheap it is.
Their site clearly lays out that 15 working days is their international shipping time (that it's technically 15 days for France and 15 days for Australia or Brazil is interesting).
http://help.zavvi.com/index.php?sid=1249925&lang=en&action=artikel&cat=7&id=22&artlang=en

That's why I roll my eyes at that thread when others are complaining about the one week delivery times.

In my experience Zavvi take 2 to 3 times longer than ozgameshop, the games dont necessarily arrive, they have a fucked up automated system that lies about what you get sent and what you dont, and customer service takes a week to respond to any request.
Zavvi and OGS take a comparable amount of time for me, and I can't comment on their customer service as I've never needed it. Until I have a problem, I'll keep using them. And after that, I'll surely bitch about them loudly.

I didn't say that they fail to quote it, I said that they fail to deliver within it.
I've always received my stuff within the quoted time, and on the last page of that thread very few people have had actual issues where something didn't arrive within their quoted time. I'm not saying it's not an issue for some people, and that their customer service is lacklustre (never had to use it), but I am saying that, as usual, whingers on GAF have overblown the extent of the problem.

I understand why people get pissy with Zavvi / Hut / DVD / Base but I still think it's a case where people in this day and age have no patience. Sorry, I should say in my experience, very few people have patience. Combine that with no ability to plan ahead, in that people estimate they'l need a new game to play next week for their holiday and wait until the week before to order it. It doesn't arrive in a week and it's meltdown time.

People would live much longer lives if they stopped stressing over 2 or 3 week delivery times.

Please note I am not defending them for any customer service issues. Also note that I have had 1 issue in the past and they handle it a little poorly. Subsequent orders have been placed balancing cost of their product in relation to other retailers against my past experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom