• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Going to the Adelaide show myself and really looking forward to their new material. They played one new song on the last tour they did (The Refusal I think it was called). It was a great song, loud and plenty of energy, might be a taste of what the new album offers.

Same, can't wait!!!

jambo

Is Sonic 4 Ep1 worth $3.40?

Edit 1: I should preface this with the fact that I generally don't find Sonic games particularly good.

Edit 2: I guess I just solved my own question. Cheers everyone.

A. No

B. Buy Sonic CD instead.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
vook is that countdown working off the server time or the local system time of the user?

Doesn't really matter, if you reach the end nothing will happen anyway. Whatever I'm doing is hosted elsewere and will switch over at the time I set it :)

Bernbaum

Don't forget that Beattie winning QLD 2001 in a landslide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensland_state_election,_2001) happened right before Howard won federal 2001 with a swing towards him (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_federal_election,_2001). Also the states were 100% Labor during a lot of Howards reign.

Despite my extreme distaste of Howard for all his cunning maneuverability at getting re-elected, I guess I always took solace in the fact that a large number of Australian voters weren't partisan creatures and would vote differently between the state and federal elections without batting an eyelid.

A. No

B. Buy Sonic CD instead.

Why would you buy that trainwreck of a game? It's better than Sonic 4 Ep1, but why would you suggest Sonic CD instead of something good like Sonic 3 and Knuckles Collection?

Edit: I bought Sonic 4. Will buy Sonic 4 Ep2 when it comes out. I will buy Sonic games until I die unfortunately. :(

jambo

Why would you buy that trainwreck of a game? It's better than Sonic 4 Ep1, but why would you suggest Sonic CD instead of something good like Sonic 3 and Knuckles Collection?

The HD remaster on Steam is fantastic and has the best physics engine in any Sonic game for ages.

Plus it has the awesome Past, Present, Future stuff.

The HD remaster on Steam is fantastic and has the best physics engine in any Sonic game for ages.

Plus it has the awesome Past, Present, Future stuff.

Please don't use that as a reason to buy sonic generations. I swear, the terrible voice acting combined with the horrible "PRESS A TO KILL THE BOSS" messages everytime you move. It did spawn this amazing video though, so I gotta give it credit for something at least.

jambo

Sonic CD has great level design, it's just different from most other Sonic games.

It's not about getting from the start of the level to the end as quickly as possible. It's about using the time travel mechanic to go to the past levels and save the future levels. There's still plenty of fast Sonic action packed in to the game though and you can still play it like that if you want.

I loved it as a child and still love it now, thus I heartily recommend it.

EDIT: And I rather enjoyed Generations. I just ignored the voice acting and marvelled at how fucking good it looked and how well it ran on my PC.

Please don't use that as a reason to buy sonic generations. I swear, the terrible voice acting combined with the horrible "PRESS A TO KILL THE BOSS" messages everytime you move. It did spawn this amazing video though, so I gotta give it credit for something at least.

But it's good. You can turn off the "helpful" messages.

Sonic CD has great level design, it's just different from most other Sonic games.

It's not about getting from the start of the level to the end as quickly as possible. It's about using the time travel mechanic to go to the past levels and save the future levels. There's still plenty of fast Sonic action packed in to the game though and you can still play it like that if you want.

I loved it as a child and still love it now, thus I heartily recommend it.

I know. It's probably why I didn't like it. Actually it's definitely why I don't like it. You just solved my brain. It's because the level design is nothing like Sonic 1. It's almost like a concept Sonic game.

senahorse

EDIT: And I rather enjoyed Generations. I just ignored the voice acting and marvelled at how fucking good it looked and how well it ran on my PC.

Seconded, Sonic Generations is the best Sonic to come out in the past 5 years, which isn't saying much but it really is a good game.

legend166

So that guy who was shot in Parramatta Westfield?

He was in the middle of a drug fuelled rampage which involved armed robbery, hijacking cars, a 200kmph car chase and threatening people with knives. He was coming at the cop with a knife when he was shot. He had a long criminal history and his family had previous tried to get him arrested for his own safety.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/family-had-tried-to-get-help-for-shot-man-20120326-1vupk.html

Another reason people should wait for the full story before saying "rah rah rah horrible police WHAT IS THIS? AMERICA?!?"

Fredescu

Another reason people should wait for the full story before saying "rah rah rah horrible police WHAT IS THIS? AMERICA?!?"
Did people say that? All of that stuff was known pretty early on. It's when I didn't realise that I was living in a bubble that I'm most thankful for my bubble. See also: CoD players.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So x3 and legend have both said the kindle is still the choice for reading.

Anyone else want to chime in? Kindles seem cheap enough to take a chance on. I know nothing about such devices.

Fredescu

I like my Kindle. The Sony readers are supposed to be good too, but they probably don't have the same level of Amazon integration. You could probably still buy stuff on Amazon and convert them with Calibre.

Yagharek

He was in the middle of a drug fuelled rampage which involved armed robbery, hijacking cars, a 200kmph car chase and threatening people with knives. He was coming at the cop with a knife when he was shot. He had a long criminal history and his family had previous tried to get him arrested for his own safety.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/family-had-tried-to-get-help-for-shot-man-20120326-1vupk.html

Are you really surprised that people were dubious over the killing given that it was less than a week since a possible suspect for an alleged shoplifting of a packet of biscuits was killed with a taser?

Rahk

Anyone else want to chime in? Kindles seem cheap enough to take a chance on. I know nothing about such devices.

Kindle.

Get one of the ones that xen said. I'd probably go for the new one without keyboard since it's smaller.

Fredescu

Are you really surprised that people were dubious over the killing given that it was less than a week since a possible suspect for an alleged shoplifting of a packet of biscuits was killed with a taser?
The reports from that day were that he robbed someone at knifepoint in Penrith, stole a car and sped down the M4, crashed it on the M4 and stole someone elses car that had stopped for the crash, then drove onto Parramatta. Maybe "surprise" is the wrong word, but damn people that react at the headlines and don't bother with details give me the shits.

Fredescu

I wouldn't mind 3G though if it works in aus and is free? Could surf the net in black and white, oh yea.
I don't think web surfing would work very well. One reason the battery lasts so long is that the screen only refreshes once per page turn as opposed to your iPad which is refreshing 30 (I guess?) times a second. The Kindle screen isn't designed with that in mind, so whenever a page changes position it resets the whole screen while you wait. Fine for turning pages. Not good for scrolling down a long web page.

The only thing the 3G is good for is buying books when you're somewhere without wifi access. If you think that's likely to happen a lot, knock yourself out.

Jintor

They're great.

Go with the newer keyboard-less model, since you're probably going to be buying books off Amazon anyway. Rare is the chance to use the keyboard.

If you have a smartphone, don't bother with 3G. The main use I get out of 3G is randomly buying books whenever I feel like it.

In other news; Kid Icarus continues to be amazing.

Do it! You know you want to.

Going to the Adelaide show myself and really looking forward to their new material. They played one new song on the last tour they did (The Refusal I think it was called). It was a great song, loud and plenty of energy, might be a taste of what the new album offers.
If I knew some people going to the 3rd show in Melbourne I would bite, long way to go by myself. Might have to, *sigh*, hit up Facebook for interest.

Vince has like, the best life ever.

He can get drunk while I must study arg
He is travelling for work away from his family though, so the drinking is depressed "Why can't I feel my lovers breath on my neck tonight" drinking.

Maybe that is just me and my drinking though.

Is Sonic 4 Ep1 worth $3.40?
Probably not. Sonic CD would be a better use of that money. Even Sonic Generations on PC can be found for under $10.

I'm guessing this was the big AC3 bit of info EB was on about on twitter? Although they still haven't confirmed it? The CE looks a little stupid - http://ebgames.com.au/sale-product-1914-home-Assassins-Creed-III---Freedom-Edition

Also for those who read. What's the best portable device? Is it one of the kindles? That nook thingy? Do i just stick with my iPad 2 and attempt to take that on the train?

I'm thinking of maybe not listening to music in the morning since i'm probably slowly going deaf. So I may as well try and read text on a screen and send myself blind instead.
Okay. I will buy. You got me guys.

Although why the truck isn't the medallion in the MEGA CE LE edition? Ripped off.

Also KINDLE KINDLE KINDLE. We have the original Kindle that Dick Smith released 6 months ago and it is sooo good on the eyes. Must be version 3.

Also just turn your mp3 player down or buy some looser headphones or change from earbuds and sacrifice some quality.

Sonic CD is one of the great ones dude! Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the peak of course but Sonic CD, Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations are all awesome games to play.

People play Sonic for the voice acting? Sonic is about the gameplay! Sonic is about the gameplay!

midonnay

why don't instead of tasers or guns......they use a device which shoots like a "fishing net" over the assailant?

recommended by Gladiators >_>

shootingnetmov.gif

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Looks like the kindle is $140 locally or $109US from amazon excluding whatever shipping would be, Unless it's free shipping to AUS which I would sorta doubt?

jambo

Looks like the kindle is $140 locally or $109US from amazon excluding whatever shipping would be, Unless it's free shipping to AUS which I would sorta doubt?

Chuck it in your cart and see what shipping would be.

My guess is it would work out to be about the same.

Choc

Banned
The way he is going Murdoch is going to be banned from running businesses in UK

he funded and ran a website that provided live streams and unlock codes for skys biggest competitor, ITV Digital during the time it ran

ITV digital went broke due to piracy

FUNDED BY MURDOCH.

BAM

Choc

Banned

as i said in my original posts, if the guy was threatning the police, fine.

But at the time we didn't know if he had a weapon. Now that we know, i agree (just like i did in the original posts) that the force was necessary

Yagharek

The reports from that day were that he robbed someone at knifepoint in Penrith, stole a car and sped down the M4, crashed it on the M4 and stole someone elses car that had stopped for the crash, then drove onto Parramatta. Maybe "surprise" is the wrong word, but damn people that react at the headlines and don't bother with details give me the shits.

People in Sydney were aware of the news. It got very little coverage in WA other than the fact someone was shot in a shopping centre.

Danoss

I think I'm just about done fighting off this fever/virus, which I've been suffering since Sunday evening. No head-cold or anything like that, just lethargy, inner-ear imbalance, splitting headache, vomiting, hunger pains (no matter how much I eat), and the most fucked up fever dreams that were doing my head in. The fever was so ridiculous, I was sitting up in the chill of the night at 4am this morning, when it was about 16 degrees in only my boxers and was still hot. It seems that has passed now, I woke up about 10 minutes ago and was no longer sweating in my sleep, having completely drenched the sheets many times earlier.

I was hoping it would be one of those short duration viruses so I didn't miss out on gaming this weekend. It's looking good at the moment as most of the symptoms are gone, but walking around is still rather difficult. Fingers crossed it'll be gone by tonight.

And in response to evlcookie's question, I'm with everyone else. Kindle is the answer. The iPad is a great device that is good for many things, but reading books is not one of them. I'm still using the older Kindle 2, and would love to upgrade to the higher contrast screens in the new one. The one at Dickies for $139 is the one I would go for too, I haven't used the keyboard on mine ever.

KfU5k.png

senahorse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom