• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Why do you need floor plans? All you really need is the age of the building and how many bedrooms/other rooms it has. If it is within you budget with the right amount of rooms and in a perfect neighbourhood then it would be important to go have an inspection asap.

I'm getting a feel for the market at the moment.

I would like to move into a two bedroom, but I earn more than my mate so i'm happy to pay more. But i want to see whats out there to make it worth my while, ie how much bigger can main bedrooms be? and so on.

i will do inspections when i actually want to rent in a month or so, but for now its just research :(

jambo

So I'm thinking of hitting up a physio for my spasmtastic back. I'm guessing that's a better choice than a dr yea? I do feel bad though for the poor individual who has to touch me, that can't be a pleasant experience. It's mostly why I can't go haha.

Just don't go to a chiro!

Yagharek

I want to say no, because I like Kickstarter, but, well, yes. They need to get the video games related ones in now while the hype is there and no project has actually had to deliver yet. Once some of them turn out to be turds, there will be less money in it. I'm sure it will still be a viable model after some of them bomb, but I think a lot of people will be less likely to throw money around as much as they have. Hopefully a few high profile projects will be successful to counteract that a bit.

That said, I'd rather see multiple Kickstarter threads a day than photos of PR junkets from major publishers.

I get there is a decent mindset behind kickstarted. ie publishers are or can be arseholes. But yeah, a lot of it seems to be a matter of "hey, here's some easy cash without any real milestones attached". You equally need carrot and stick, for lack of a better analogy, for a product to work.

I foresee this very quickly going from the case where maybe something like the bitmap brothers reform to do a spiritual successor to their old amiga games on an actual amiga (or emulator), and in short order EA will be doing kickstarter for their Stike series which will only be resurrected if and only if the entire funds are raised by customers to begin with. Who then pay for the game theyve wholly funded.

I foresee this very quickly going from the case where maybe something like the bitmap brothers reform to do a spiritual successor to their old amiga games on an actual amiga (or emulator), and in short order EA will be doing kickstarter for their Stike series which will only be resurrected if and only if the entire funds are raised by customers to begin with. Who then pay for the game theyve wholly funded.

It would be the stupid consumer who chooses to do this.

Kickstarter amounts are connected to rewards.

These rewards are based on what you receive for paying a certain amount of money in the event that the total amount pledged meets the goal.

If the goal is not met you are not charged.

If you pledge money towards a Kickstarter at a level where you don't get a product then you don't get a product.

Seems like simple stuff. You get what you pay for.

As in: I don't have to buy a copy of Double Fine Adventure when it is finished. I will not need to pay more than my $15 pledge to play Wasteland 2 when it is finished.

Fredescu

EA will be doing kickstarter for their Stike series which will only be resurrected if and only if the entire funds are raised by customers to begin with. Who then pay for the game theyve wholly funded.
There's no way a reward structure that doesn't involve getting the actual game will attract enough funding for a company like EA to get out of bed in the morning.

Danoss

I don't know how well a stream of Kickstarter projects will do in the video game area, but they're doing extremely nicely for traditional RPGs, which is fine by me. The targets are low, easily met and the rewards are great. For such a niche market, I think it's really a blessing for them and much aided by a website like RPG Kickstarters.

Besides the 'Dinocalypse Now' trilogy which I mentioned here previously (which is smoothly sailing to a stretch goal boosting the number of ebooks included to 5 for only a $10 pledge, which is amazing), I'm keenly awaiting the completion of 'Bumps in the Night', a Call of Cthulhu RPG scenario collection. 'Bumps in the Night' reached its target in under 12 hours, which shows the popularity of such a small publishing house where fans are more than happy to essentially pre-order the book they know will be of a great quality.

Yagharek

Maybe my use of the word 'desperation' was slightly misunderstood and misused.

Point being, there are heaps of kickstarters popping up after the first big one by double fine. Thats fair - it also seems that there are a lot of projects that are never feasibly going to happen with publishers as they are. This is one source of 'desperation' - publishers stifling creativity or anything non-viable commercially.

The other 'desperation' seems to be coming from a "fuck it, lets get someone else to pay" kind of attitude that to me reeks of free money/taking advantage of willingness to pay.

I just hope that isnt the case, or that I've misread what kickstarter is about. Because I sure as shit would throw in some money to Oddworld Inhabitants making the rest of the quintology if it meant they could self-publish. :(

Why am I not surprised Harvey Norman fucked up this sale? They have no ETA when I will get the games I ordered for pick up. They're not even up to orders from 9am FFS. They wouldn't even let me pick them myself off the shelf.

jambo

There was a copy of ME3 on PC in the store I chose for pick up, so hopefully I'll get it.

There was no one browsing the games section, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad in Adelaide.

Choc

Banned
Apple not relenting, ACCC taking them to court early may.

could force injunction, want a new 4g pad? buy it now. else wait a while.

told you apple was dumb enough fred

Fredescu

The other 'desperation' seems to be coming from a "fuck it, lets get someone else to pay" kind of attitude that to me reeks of free money/taking advantage of willingness to pay.
Fools and their money etc, but there's pretty much no reason to fund stuff on Kickstarter that you could just get elsewhere anyway.

told you apple was dumb enough fred
Don't attribute to stupidity what could otherwise be attributed to malice. Or something...

legend166

Why am I not surprised Harvey Norman fucked up this sale? They have no ETA when I will get the games I ordered for pick up. They're not even up to orders from 9am FFS. They wouldn't even let me pick them myself off the shelf.

I just had that thing. I rang them up and they are all "lol who knows when you can pick them up?!?"

I specifically chose a store that's on the way home from work. If I can't pick it up this week I can't do it on the weekend. Ugh.

jambo

I just had that thing. I rang them up and they are all "lol who knows when you can pick them up?!?"

I specifically chose a store that's on the way home from work. If I can't pick it up this week I can't do it on the weekend. Ugh.

I picked a store that's about a 5 minute walk away, so it's not too bad for me.

Plus I bought ME3 and I still need to finish ME2, so I don't really care if it takes a while.

It is a bit frustrating how disconnected the retail stores seem to be from the online department though, especially when they're doing in-store pickups.

Kickstarter amounts are connected to rewards.
Kickstarter reward tiers are incentives. They don't have to include the final product, and there's no minimum. If you wanted to pledge $1 to the DF Kickstarter for no reward you easily could have.

There's no guarantee the project to which you've pledged will ever complete or if you'll get the reward you've chosen. Unfortunately there don't seem to be stats on completion publicised so it's hard to gauge.

Jambo I called a store on my way home instead of visiting but how hard can it be? Harvey Norman always fucks up like this. I should've learned the time they had 9c photo prints. It took a week to get them.

midonnay

ACCC and the courts took down Optus for a seemingly minor offense..... I don't think Apple has a leg to stand on....

seems like the same type of mistake

Rezbit

Hey BeerAusGaf.

Rewarding my hard half a week at work with a few froffies. Picked up a sixer of Sleeping Giant IPA to finally try and found a 4 pack of McLaren Vale Ale for cheap, so will give those a go. Licking my chops already.

Shaneus

Fucking hell. I post about Binary Domain for PC at GMG for $32 (from $40 which is STILL cheaper than the Steam price) and you guys don't say shit? I have no idea how reptile puts up with all this crap.

Shame on all of you. ESPECIALLY reptile.

Fredescu

Holy shit jambo, you're awesome. I've been wanting to play Binary Domain, but didn't want to pay a cent over $33. Due to your post I will now purchase such a video game.

Fogz

I ordered 3 games this morning, 1 was listed as out of stock but ordered it anyway. Got emails this arvo saying they were all ready to pick up, and just got back from walking over and grabbing them. :)

More like selling directly to the customer. If we each are expecting a game and give the developer $15 dollars for it, and they can make that game for us with that $15 and then sell it at a higher price to people who didn't believe in them in the beginning, I don't see how that is desperation.

There is no free money. I don't understand why you think that.

Kickstarter reward tiers are incentives. They don't have to include the final product, and there's no minimum. If you wanted to pledge $1 to the DF Kickstarter for no reward you easily could have.
Exactly. It is consumer driven so if the offer is shit it won't ever get to funded stage.

Hey guys, you can get Binary Domain on Green Man Gaming for $32 if you use the promo code "PROMO-FESTI-VAL20" =D
OH SHIT thanks man! Ordered.
Joking, is it a Steam key? Not sure if I should buy it yet as my gaming has screeched to a halt lately

Yagharek

More like selling directly to the customer. If we each are expecting a game and give the developer $15 dollars for it, and they can make that game for us with that $15 and then sell it at a higher price to people who didn't believe in them in the beginning, I don't see how that is desperation.

There is no free money. I don't understand why you think that.

I get that direct developer to customer sales are a good ideal to pursue - hell, it's how gaming used to be. But I dont know how much pre-commitment is a good idea. What's to say that a project might become impossible to finish and all that the fundee has done is get an income for x number of months on the back of a promise.

I get that direct developer to customer sales are a good ideal to pursue - hell, it's how gaming used to be. But I dont know how much pre-commitment is a good idea. What's to say that a project might become impossible to finish and all that the fundee has done is get an income for x number of months on the back of a promise.

I wouldn't drop $100 on development alone. Hell, I paid $110 to Idle Thumbs and the game isn't even the point of the Kickstarter! It is all the cool little merchandise that make people put up more than a few bucks that would have been wasted on lunch anyway.

It is merchandise direct from the developer that saves consumers a LOT of money. Just look at this shit

cmjuo.png

So just like with musicians if we can avoid getting fucked in the arse just to get a Tshirt for less than $50 it makes Kickstarter a very alluring idea for a consumer.

Yagharek

I wouldn't drop $100 on development alone. Hell, I paid $110 to Idle Thumbs and the game isn't even the point of the Kickstarter! It is all the cool little merchandise that make people put up more than a few bucks that would have been wasted on lunch anyway.

It is merchandise direct from the developer that saves consumers a LOT of money. Just look at this shit

image>>

So just like with musicians if we can avoid getting fucked in the arse just to get a Tshirt for less than $50 it makes Kickstarter a very alluring idea for a consumer.

OK, see that pic you posted?

Where's the context to it? I get it, exhorbitant shipping costs. But where are you buying it from and how does it have anything to do with kickstarters?

OK, see that pic you posted?

Where's the context to it? I get it, exhorbitant shipping costs. But where are you buying it from and how does it have anything to do with kickstarters?
The context is in the supply chain. By running a kickstarter they can budget it so they make a profit while still offering great value for the consumer.

Picked mine up this morning without drama. Though not sure how busy they were.

midonnay

I posted this in the Hockey thread....fml

for fuck's sake....

Ben Cousins arrested >_<

with meth

apparently on the way to drug rehab.....

Yagharek

The context is in the supply chain. By running a kickstarter they can budget it so they make a profit while still offering great value for the consumer.

Right. Might be better to make your argument rather than a cropped image that doesnt give much away. :p

I agree though - as per bands its much fuzzier inside to give direct purchases to the artist rather than through third parties. But music is made by small bands, artworks by solo artists, books by authors and editors. Games require a hell of a lot more people when you get beyond something like cave story or tetris these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom