• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

ME2 seems to have more weird glitchy bugs than Skyrim. Dude likes talking to Shepard's crotch.

F46649704597F03202351EF414020E7C16A7E423

Danoss

The ones in WA are elongated, maybe 2 inches long and a quarter inch across. Haven't seen them building, they seem to be very quick about it.

Ah yes, the patterns on some of them are quite cool, and also different to their more bulbous cousins.

The building does take some time, though is still quite quick for how much work they have to do, because it is quite dense and intricate. I've seen it take upwards of 30 mins. That of course doesn't include the time it'd take them to wait for that perfect breeze, which allows them to jump the distance they need to start it all.

ME2 seems to have more weird glitchy bugs than Skyrim. Dude likes talking to Shepard's crotch.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at here, but is Shep wearing one satchel for each nad? Tha's about all I can ascertain.

Deeku

Final sony viral marketing message:

psp games look incredible on the vita! In tactics ogre's case, the zoomed out native resolution view is oh so beautiful <333

Yagharek

Ah yes, the patterns on some of them are quite cool, and also different to their more bulbous cousins.

The building does take some time, though is still quite quick for how much work they have to do, because it is quite dense and intricate. I've seen it take upwards of 30 mins. That of course doesn't include the time it'd take them to wait for that perfect breeze, which allows them to jump the distance they need to start it all.

I didn't realise they jumped that far then :O

Danoss

I didn't realise they jumped that far then :O

Yeah, they get up high and wait for the right amount of wind and when it hits they jump up, leaving some silk attached and hook it up to where they land. This is the beginning structure for them and why their webs are so large. I tried to find a video of this, but had no such luck.

I think this has now broken the illusion of what we are talking about, now I have used specific words. I was enjoying keeping it on the down-low to not stir up the arachnophobes.

Yagharek

I always assumed they let out a dragline that drifted downwind to a target, then they climbed aboard when it made contact. Jumping is far more impressive.

Danoss

I always assumed they let out a dragline that drifted downwind to a target, then they climbed aboard when it made contact. Jumping is far more impressive.

They do use the wind for assistance, but they jump to let the breeze catch them. They certainly couldn't do it without wind assistance.

Ydahs

A bit late, but a 360 for $100? What? WHAT?

SCREW UNI. 360 HERE I COME. Might buy a PSP too.

Is this real? Early April fools? Australia wide? All DSEs? Am I in gaming heaven?

Yagharek

They do use the wind for assistance, but they jump to let the breeze catch them. They certainly couldn't do it without wind assistance.

what I meant was I thought they would stay on a branch or whatever, then let out a line that drifts downwind. If it latches on to something, they climb across.
What you are saying is that they tie a bungie cord, wait for the wind and take off themselves. Which earns points for talent.

Brave little things.

Is this real? Early April fools? Australia wide? All DSEs? Am I in gaming heaven?

Real. Check your local DSE for stock tomorrow as you will have no chance of grabbing one online at 8am Monday.

Fredescu

Don't expect it to be that easy. Technically every store is participating in the sale but not every store is going to have what you want. The popular stuff is going to be extremely limited and every trade baiter and ebay reseller and his dog is going to be out in force.

Ydahs

So DSE is giving up on the gaming market?

Pretty sure there's a DSE in Broadmeadows. Doubt there'd be an immediate sell out there, but I'll be there 8am regardless. Anything in particular worth buying and keeping as a collectable? Thinking of the Zelda SS bundle and a DSi or two.

edit: wait, that DSE opens at 9am. I had plans at 9am...

Danoss

what I meant was I thought they would stay on a branch or whatever, then let out a line that drifts downwind. If it latches on to something, they climb across.
What you are saying is that they tie a bungie cord, wait for the wind and take off themselves. Which earns points for talent.

Brave little things.

Shit, now I look it up, you're right. They do send out threads and let that do the work for them. Their silk is amongst the strongest in the world, (one which we would very much like to be able to engineer for ourselves) so this is of no concern for them.

I looked up where I got confused and spiders can launch themselves and fly, but they have to be small, like really small. It seems that only hatchlings or just naturally small spiders can do this, and it's called 'ballooning'. There's this cool video on how the little things do it, and they can get pretty high. This other video is pretty awesome also, showing a bunch of hatchlings spreading out, away from their nest, though you can't really see the gossamer threads they shoot out to help them.

So DSE is giving up on the gaming market?

Pretty sure there's a DSE in Broadmeadows. Doubt there'd be an immediate sell out there, but I'll be there 8am regardless. Anything in particular worth buying and keeping as a collectable? Thinking of the Zelda SS bundle and a DSi or two.

Sale starts on Monday but I am making a stop at DSE tomorrow to see what they have sitting around. Planning on going straight in at 9am on Monday to the store.

The DSi seems to be a handy pickup. Would love some random $1 games too.

The best deal is on the 360 cards. $10 for 3000 points which usually retails for $50 is insane. Also $30 for a year of Gold too.

mandiller

Final sony viral marketing message:

psp games look incredible on the vita! In tactics ogre's case, the zoomed out native resolution view is oh so beautiful <333

Yep it looks great! I'm so glad it has the zoomed out view, it makes it look more like a Vita game than a PSP game. The normal zoomed in view is pretty blurry.

Deeku

Yep it looks great! I'm so glad it has the zoomed out view, it makes it look more like a Vita game than a PSP game. The normal zoomed in view is pretty blurry.
Yeah, especially when you compare it to how small the zoomed out view looked on the psp. Don't forget to turn on the filtering setting for ultimate amazingness!

Unrelated:

I heard some scratching sounds near the door to the garden in my room, so I look outside and there was this tiny tiny tiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnny little mouse running and jumping around. I totally crouched by the door watching it for 5 minutes until it ran into some plants and disappeared:(

Clipper

Wait, the Vita's included in that DSE clearance sale? I didn't see it on the list!

I think the comment had nothing to do with the DSE sale, but moreso to do with the fact that it is selling so poorly that a price drop is almost certain to come very soon. I'm doing the same.

Danoss

Whoa, I just saw something really cool. Some of you may be tired of Kickstarter, and some have voiced concerns of whether or not the projects actually deliver. The cool thing about the traditional games that I back, is that they're usually completely done or nearing completion, from respected authors and publishers.

Think Warhammer is lame? But of course LEGO is cool! What if you could build a robot using LEGO, assign its systems points in the form of dice and have it fight your friends? Enter Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack.

D. Vincent Baker, one of the guys behind it, is an absolute legend in the RPG industry. I own a couple of his books, which are nothing short of amazing (and ridiculously cheap). He's based this off a previous version he made 10 years ago, called 'Mechaton' (a fact noted on the Kickstarter page, I've never played it).

$10 gets you a PDF of the rules, and $25 gets you the PDF and a printed book. All you need besides that is some LEGO (they recommend some cool pieces to buy which make up some cool robots, or other building systems if LEGO isn't your thing) and some dice. That's pretty damn cool in my eyes.

I'm not a wargamer at all, but this has grabbed my attention. I haven't messed with LEGO in years, have wanted to try wargaming, but found it far too expensive for something I may not like. This is the perfect opportunity. I know some of you are into LEGO, so I thought I'd mention it here in case this interested you. Here's some of the possibilities as shown by some cool people on Flickr.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I think the comment had nothing to do with the DSE sale, but moreso to do with the fact that it is selling so poorly that a price drop is almost certain to come very soon. I'm doing the same.
Yikes, is it doing well enough in the US / Japan at least.:p I wouldn't expect the Vita to be selling that well, if major stores like Big W, Target etc aren't even selling it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So it looks like a local DSE at work might have some DSi's in going by the website. I might actually walk there on the way to work and be one of the first to barge in.

VOOK - Are you going to do any sort of list as to what's recommended to buy for Nintendo fans? I wouldn't mind grabbing what was good if possible but I have no idea what that is!

And who here actually wants stuff? I can certainly try and pick up some extra hardware if people wanted it along with software if I can find any.

I wouldn't mind a little ausgaf group trying to grab stuff for others. Instead of those on ecogamer and ozbarg trying to buy everything up for profit.

Bernbaum

How much have you spent on your army?

I spent about $2,500 on my 'Royal Guard of Ulthuan' High Elf army back in High School, if you include paints and flock. Dunno what I spent on 40K, Necromunda or Epic 40K.

Normal Warhammer wasn't that great a game.

Gorkamorka was the fucking radsauce though, best game GW produced. I collected Dark Angels and painted them up but hardly played any 40K.

Nothing I want is in stock online and the only things in stock at nearby stores are not enough to make me want to rush to a DSE store early Monday morning.

If someone's store has the 3000 MS Points cards for $10 (or the 1500s for $5), I'd be grateful if they were willing to pick them up on my behalf, but I think they'll go pretty fast.

I'm sure a couple of things I made a cursory check on last night were in stock but are now not appearing as in stock...

Clipper

My local DSE had about 30 of each kind of MS Points card out on the shelves... but I don't own a 360 and even at $100, I doubt I need one.

pilonv1

Got word from someone who knows someone at Dick Smith and they said anything good will most likely be taken by staff before they open. So I wouldn't be too excited about $100 360s

So it looks like a local DSE at work might have some DSi's in going by the website. I might actually walk there on the way to work and be one of the first to barge in.

VOOK - Are you going to do any sort of list as to what's recommended to buy for Nintendo fans? I wouldn't mind grabbing what was good if possible but I have no idea what that is!

And who here actually wants stuff? I can certainly try and pick up some extra hardware if people wanted it along with software if I can find any.

I wouldn't mind a little ausgaf group trying to grab stuff for others. Instead of those on ecogamer and ozbarg trying to buy everything up for profit.

Mate if you could get me a dsi I will paypal you 50

If you can get me a psp I'll love you forever.

Edit: obviously I'll pay $40 + extra for your trouble

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Got word from someone who knows someone at Dick Smith and they said anything good will most likely be taken by staff before they open. So I wouldn't be too excited about $100 360s

Yea I honestly expect this to happen. Who wouldn't buy a bunch of crap if you worked there. I expect terrible games to be left over by 9am.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I do wish sales like these had limitations on them. Like 2 per customer and employee, Gives those who want the goods a chance and stops ecogamers from attempting to buy them all.

Oh well. I will still check it out and see what's going on on monday morning, Hopefully.

Does anyone have personal experience with console repair shops/guys in Melbourne?

My PS3 died last night (jap launch 60gb). Flashing red lights. Hdd is good, power is good...so must be the motherboard. :(

Last night I was thinking I'll pick up a $199 Slim from DSE, and then this happened.
LLShC.gif

So, anyone got info on reliable repair guys? I found a couple who charge $80-$100 to fix it and same day service, but don't know who's reliable. Thanks..

Bernbaum

God damn. I've only recently linked up with facebook (almost only so I can share photos) and there's so much about the entire set-up and way people use it that is incredibly irritating.

For starters, you realize just how silly and socially unaware certain friends and colleagues really are, no matter how well-educated you think they may be. HR lady from work posting out-dated rage comic memes? Yup, you're on facebook.

Chief problem with facebook is that you are frequently presented with the reality of how old/unattractive/overweight certain friends from your past have become and you can no longer masturbate to the nice memories you once had of them.

jambo

There are quite a few DSis at my local Adelaide store, so if I can't get anything online I'll drop past and clear them out.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Chief problem with facebook is that you are frequently presented with the reality of how old/unattractive/overweight certain friends from your past have become and you can no longer masturbate to the nice memories you once had of them.
But you can find hotter friends of those you know and do it to them. So I hear

The problem with Facebook for me was it was just full people I haven't spoken to since high school and there were reasons for that. I have no interest in them or what they are doing just like they have zero interest in me.

Twitter allows me to stalk talk about random musings I find throughout the day and annoying people with them.

Rezbit

Like Mega, I'd love a PSP if they are sighted anywhere. If anyone can snag one for me, I'd be super grateful. Looks like they aren't available online, and I won't be able to get near a DSE on Monday due to working out of town. Might see if I can get someone down here to take a look at the local one.

I only really go on Facebook to catch up with friends, mostly real life ones. Okay and I look at photos of hot chicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom