• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are community blu rays wat

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHY DO I HAVE THESE WORTHLESS DVDS

/edit oh blu ray community isn't actually available yet

I really need to get a blu ray drive my computer
The stupidity of these companies continually surprises me.

Yagharek

I would hazard a guess that from Pachter's perspective those consumer costs don't matter for a number of reasons.

1) The 'worth' of cost-of-game sales remains nebulous in the minds of consumers and, if the market is ready to support additional charges on online functionality, then profit-minded corporations would be fools not to exploit it [in the short-term, anyway].

2) Most additional costs, with the exception of subscription fees and online passes, don't flow to the publisher but rather to additional third parties (Microsoft, ISPs, etc) that aren't publishers.

What does it cost for a publisher to have someone else host their online games? Because last time I checked I didnt get a cut of the costs when XBL set me up as game host for Halo 2 multi.

Jintor

I meant costs on the consumer, my apologies for not making that clear. That is, from a consumer perspective they're being drained by additional fees, but to the publisher in question - as they're not taking them in as profit - there's no real consideration to be had (aside from to what effect they have on the willingness of consumers to bear it)

Yagharek

I meant costs on the consumer, my apologies for not making that clear. That is, from a consumer perspective they're being drained by additional fees, but to the publisher in question - as they're not taking them in as profit - there's no real consideration to be had (aside from to what effect they have on the willingness of consumers to bear it)

Perhaps I misread you for a moment, but the point stands in general; if publishers/Pachter want consumers to bear more costs above what is normally expected (eg increased software/hw costs due to inflation etc) then we are only going to see more and more studios go the way of Psygnosis and all the others gone this gen.

Consumers will just flock towards fewer and fewer games rather than spend subscription monies on multiple games. The big problem with western games right now is increasing homogeneity, and that will only worsen when CoD is still the biggest IP in 5 years time.

This will sign the death warrant for hundreds of smaller developers, and leave room only for EA/Acti/Ubi as far as third party publishers go.

edit: the overall problem as well is games that have multi that don't need it at all, or cannot compete enough to get a healthy multi community. Everyone flocks to CoD/BF, so as a result, dozens of games are released each quarter that ape them in one way or another, even if the multi doesn't help them.
These projects should instead be focussing on strong single player content rather than diluted single and multi in the same package.

Get in quick before it sells out too! You could always fly to Adelaide or Perth lol

I actually have a preference for Perth but It's on a uni tuesday =/ Not sure whether to buy two tickets or one or what, since Sydney friend hasn't got back to me and I don't want to go alone :s :s :s

jambo

Guys, a Sleeping Dogs demo is now available on Steam and it includes the benchmarking tool.

Now we can all compare computers =D

Shaneus

Hey hey.

Resubbed.

But don't expect me to be around as much as I was before. I'm doing this thing where I don't get (as) caught up in news or discussions that I'm only half interested/invested in... which explains my very selective appearances in here and on the Twitter. So while my initial reason for unsubbing from here was quite superficial and silly (but never really all that serious) I actually found that I was getting more shit done without it and is why I was gone for longer than a week (which was my initial intention).

So... hey!

xPWIJ.gif

ManeKast

This 3DS transfer process makes me want Pikmin 3 even harder.

I watched it three times as the connection dropped out at 99% twice in the transfer process. Went from exciting to shaky ground.

Those of you planning to do this instore via iphone make sure you have updated your OG 3DS firmware, that you copy the SD card contents AFTER the transfer process from the 2gb (OG) card to the new 4 gb (XL) card. That way you save your DSi stuff (Zelda Four Swords).

My XL is still charging too, 3hrs 55mins after I got it to my work desk! But all done. Ambassador and all is there, its GORGEOUS (red one FTW).

Hey hey.

Resubbed.

But don't expect me to be around as much as I was before. I'm doing this thing where I don't get (as) caught up in news or discussions that I'm only half interested/invested in... which explains my very selective appearances in here and on the Twitter. So while my initial reason for unsubbing from here was quite superficial and silly (but never really all that serious) I actually found that I was getting more shit done without it and is why I was gone for longer than a week (which was my initial intention).

So... hey!

xPWIJ.gif
Only browse/post at work. Problem solved!

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I actually have a preference for Perth but It's on a uni tuesday =/ Not sure whether to buy two tickets or one or what, since Sydney friend hasn't got back to me and I don't want to go alone :s :s :s
Just buy one to be safe. Surely you'd know someone else there. Then your friend can buy theirs. I dunno. I never have to worry that much, radelaide doesn't often sell out.
Got my Brisbane ticket in the presale last week!
Safest way to be especially in the eastern states

Clipper

Should we start organising a board games and/or drinks meetup?

Hmm 2013, eh... perhaps a tad early :p.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
New Super Mario Dudes 2 get. Finally.

Also I reviewed Sleeping Dawgs on Rocket Chainsaw. Game was dope.

Jintor

Perhaps I misread you for a moment, but the point stands in general; if publishers/Pachter want consumers to bear more costs above what is normally expected (eg increased software/hw costs due to inflation etc) then we are only going to see more and more studios go the way of Psygnosis and all the others gone this gen.

Consumers will just flock towards fewer and fewer games rather than spend subscription monies on multiple games. The big problem with western games right now is increasing homogeneity, and that will only worsen when CoD is still the biggest IP in 5 years time.

This will sign the death warrant for hundreds of smaller developers, and leave room only for EA/Acti/Ubi as far as third party publishers go.

edit: the overall problem as well is games that have multi that don't need it at all, or cannot compete enough to get a healthy multi community. Everyone flocks to CoD/BF, so as a result, dozens of games are released each quarter that ape them in one way or another, even if the multi doesn't help them.
These projects should instead be focussing on strong single player content rather than diluted single and multi in the same package.

I don't really disagree with anything you're saying. I just think Pachter is just doing his short-sighted, single-corporation-focused, profit-minded job, so within that context it's not a stupid statement to make. Just a highly disagreeable one.

Anyone else apprehensive for Community season 4, sans Dan Harmon?

A little. Did you see his AMA reddit thread this morning? He seems like a cool dude.

jambo

Allans and Billy Hyde music enter receivership
Australian Music Group Holdings (AMG), which trades as Billy Hyde and Allans, has been placed into receivership by one of its creditors.

James Stewart and Brendan Richards from Ferrier Hodgson were appointed as administrators by Revere Capital, which is owed money by AMG, and immediately placed the retailer into receivership.

However, the company will continue trading while the receivers look at ways to restructure the group and sell some or all of the stores.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-23/allans-and-billy-hyde-enter-receivership/4217864

Well fuck.

c51.jpg

DJmizuhara said:
Apparently Studio Liverpool was the only Studio confident of completing & launching a launch title 4 PS4. Sony killed the wrong studio.

I'm the guy who still has a copy of Torchlight 2 for you if you're still interested :p
Yeah when the fuck can I actually play this game again?

Also thoughts on Studio Liverpool please. I need to share in the heartache.

Also thoughts on Studio Liverpool please. I need to share in the heartache.

I share your pain.

The Wipeout series is one of my all time favourites. I've purchased every game in the series (except for Wipeout 3, which my friend stole for me from a Playstation at Livid in 1998). Psygnosis were THE best PS1 developer, bar none, and these guys have always been quiet achievers.

Rahk

I don't really disagree with anything you're saying. I just think Pachter is just doing his short-sighted, single-corporation-focused, profit-minded job, so within that context it's not a stupid statement to make. Just a highly disagreeable one.
Yeah, I think his overall point is sound, but he seems to be completely oblivious to what has been happening in the F2P space for years on PC, and more recently Valve with TF2/Dota 2.

Jintor

It sounds ridiculous that maintaining services for a playerbase of something like - and I'm throwing out random numbers here - probably around 70-80% freeloaders, 20% low-spenders and maybe 5% massive spenders would be more profitable than charging everybody a set price, but there you have it; the market is fucking weird as shit.

Yagharek

The way I see it is this: for 4 years he said Wii was a fad and would need an HD revision and how everyone should listen to him if they want to make money.

He was wrong.

If anyone wants to make money, they should listen to what he says and then do the complete opposite, less they end up like all the studios he has been in favour of this past 5 years or so.

He is short-sighted, misguided, a serial revisionist and anyone could reasonably assume that his method for analysing is to throw a thousand darts at the board and see if one happens to stick.

In that context, every statement he makes is incredibly stupid.

Ventron

Ugh, any tips for getting over bad colds/flu quickly?

That's why we need a media regulator.... it bullshit to hide behind freedom of speech when your journalistic ethics is lacking

We already have libel laws. No amount of regulation can stop mistakes.

EDIT: Is there a site which keeps track of Pachter's predictions, and count which ones are correct?

I have spent a ton of money at the various music retailers that have been Katamari'ed into Billy Hyde Allans. Palings, Brashes, Musician's Pro Shop, Billy Hyde, Allans and the final entity.

1 piano, 7 guitars, 2 synths, a portastudio plus various other bits and bobs like cables, strings, etc. I was probably going to get stuff from them in the next few weeks.

I have no thoughts on Sony Liverpool apart from the pain of developers lose their jobs. I don't play racing games. The one heartening thing is that people will miss them. Nothing more sickening to me than comments like 'good riddance' in a thread about a studio closure or layoffs.

Ugh, any tips for getting over bad colds/flu quickly?
LOTS OF SLEEP also plenty of fluids and keeping warm.

Also Bisolvin is great for clearing gunk out of your chest if you have a bad cough. Maybe grab some Demazin for the awesome taste if your nose is a little blocked or if you are a bit thirsty.

hamchan

Oh snap, JB Hi-fi actually reduced the price of the 3DS XL to $229. That means my trade in at EB now has to match them mwahahaha.

Yagharek

I think I just got an insanely good 3DS XL deal.

Traded in an old 3DS, and paid $87 on top of that. (Paid $329 at launch with Ghost Recon, so make that $417 I suppose, but Ambassador Status means I can flip the bird at Sweden whilst playing Metroid Fusion).

But I got NSMB2 with my 3DS XL too, for nothing extra on top of it.

There was a bit of back and forth processing the deal, but I ended up getting $162 for my 3DS trade in. Not bad I guess, but its made up for with the free NSMB2 game thats for sure.

Jintor

Did they let you transfer over the content in-store? Terrible logistic decision Nintendo, get your User Account system online already you berks.

Berks is okay right, I'm not going to get crabhammered for that am I? It was in Planescape Torment, it's probably okay. Maybe I should replace it with cutter.

Yagharek

Did they let you transfer over the content in-store? Terrible logistic decision Nintendo, get your User Account system online already.

I bought the system, took it home, did the transfer then returned with the old system and did the trade deal.

Transfer process took about 30 minutes at a guess.

Not practical to do it instore, even with tethering.

It's easy to do, but would be a pain for anyone in a large city with long commute times. However, I do prefer their system to the easy-to-hack XBL/PSN style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom