• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Good lord people, you only need the internet to start the transfer, not for the whole thing.

The transfer time is in proportion to what's on your 3DS memory. Not your SD card.

These include things like all your settings, Mii's, time records, friend codes, DSiWare (which can be stored on SD but not booted from). Obviously the longer you've had your system the more of these there will be.

Everything else is on the SD card. eShop games, VC games, Photos and Videos. It's like no ever reads anything I write.

Yes, Nintendo needs an accounts system. But you'd still need to do a transfer (of time records, Mii's, settings) even if it did. This process essentially ghosts the new 3DS with your old one. I'd say this process is better than typing in your account details and having to re-download everything again. That would take longer.

hamchan

Goddamn, I forgot to order some Hori screen protectors for my XL. No playing games that use the touchscreen heavily until they arrive I guess. When I look at my 3DS collection though there aren't very many touchscreen heavy games though...

jambo

I'd say this process is better than typing in your account details and having to re-download everything again. That would take longer.

So if your device gets stolen and you buy a new one, how exactly does the system transfer option help you at all?

Ninty has needed an account system since the Wii came out.

VOOK

Not everyone likes standing around in store for half an hour holding a ds you know.

I never said you should.

So if your device gets stolen and you buy a new one, how exactly does the system transfer option help you at all?

Ninty has needed an account system since the Wii came out.

I know, I said that in the post. They need one even more considering they're selling $70 games for the thing.

Obviously a system transfer wouldn't work here.

Ydahs

Just got news that my cousin, aged only 13, got shot in the stomach in Lebanon. A lot of my family is caught in the middle of what might become a civil war :(

Also, this Melbourne storm is crazy.

Just got news that my cousin, aged only 13, got shot in a stomach in Lebanon. A lot of my family is caught in the middle of what might become a civil war :(

Also, this Melbourne storm is crazy.

Your cousin is a cow?

Fuck that sucks, especially since you are so far away and can't do anything for them. Just the idea of knowing people stuck in that volatile situation would be incredibly stressful for me. Hope he pulls through.

VOOK

You implied as much, seeing as we were talking about system transfers before trading in the old one.

I've said you should either wait around (and you only need your phone hotspot for the start), I wouldn't recommend connecting your phone to your 3DS for long periods of time because who knows how much it's transferring.

Anyway, it's all good, it's done and now I can stop getting people ask me questiosn about it 10 times a day.

Just got news that my cousin, aged only 13, got shot in the stomach in Lebanon. A lot of my family is caught in the middle of what might become a civil war :(

Holy shit... o-0

markot

Banned
Sorry to hear about your cousin, hope he gets better. (And gets out of Lebanon)

Julia Gillard lashed out at The Australian newspaper and who she called "misogynist nut jobs on the internet" today in a marathon press conference prompted by days of rumour-mongering about her past.

The PM challenged "the journalistic elite of this country" to hit her with their best questions over reports about alleged impropriety during her time with law firm Slater and Gordon.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-23/pm-fires-back-as-australian-issues-apology/4218092

r1chard

Ah, so that was what Sales was referring to in the Abbott interview. And explains why Abbott dodged the question completely.

Wow, this gem of Pickering's just popped up on the twits. I was, prior to today, blissfully ignorant of the extremity at play here. I'm a little depressed now.

Yagharek

For anyone thinking of getting a 3DS XL - it's a lovely matte finish to the system. I got the red one, and it is very very nice. Not quite the brushed aluminium of a MBP, but very close and it has a pretty convincing build quality. Screens are definitely warmer than 3DS original, but unless they are side by side you won't notice.

Screen is a lovely size too.

I've said you should either wait around (and you only need your phone hotspot for the start), I wouldn't recommend connecting your phone to your 3DS for long periods of time because who knows how much it's transferring.

I never asked you for advice :p

Anyway, I knew the deal about transfers since I did it with DSi -> 3DS at launch. :)

I hope it isn't as bad for your cousin as it sounds. Hope they pull through.

Yagharek

For some reason Nintendo Video on 3DS has Lego highlights/recreations of two events from the olympics, namely mens 100m sprint and the weightlifting final.

How odd.

Shaneus

A little. Did you see his AMA reddit thread this morning? He seems like a cool dude.
Link? Obviously I'll have a look myself, but if laziness can prevail, then hey... forgedabboudit.

Also I reviewed Sleeping Dawgs on Rocket Chainsaw. Game was dope.
Link link?
Yeah when the fuck can I actually play this game again?
I don't know :( But I'm glad that now the time to compete with D3 has passed they can do some hardcore tweaking/polishing on it... but they're taking just a bit too long now.

Also thoughts on Studio Liverpool please. I need to share in the heartache.
Fucking sucks. I really wish there was a way big companies could just "let go" of studios and let them change their name or something rather than essentially force them to be disbanded and look for other work. I have no doubt that Bizarre and SL/Psygnosis could be *great* third-party, multi-platform developers if their old "owners"(?) could be less asshole-ish about everything.

RIP Devs/pubs of Blood Money, Baal, Ballistix, Shadow of the Beast, Obitus, Puggsy, G-Police, Flink, Microcosm, Rollcages, Lemmings, Krazy Ivan, Destruction Derbys, Barbarians, Lomax and of course, the Wipeouts.

LOTS OF SLEEP also plenty of fluids and keeping warm.

Also Bisolvin is great for clearing gunk out of your chest if you have a bad cough. Maybe grab some Demazin for the awesome taste if your nose is a little blocked or if you are a bit thirsty.
And if you want the cough mixture that has dextromethorphan in it, say you have a dry, tickly cough. Or if you actually have a dry, tickly cough. I've been meaning to try that Bisolvin the moment I get a bit phlegmmy, but always forget what it's called when I'm at the chemist :/

Yagharek

Ah, so that was what Sales was referring to in the Abbott interview. And explains why Abbott dodged the question completely.

Wow, this gem of Pickering's just popped up on the twits. I was, prior to today, blissfully ignorant of the extremity at play here. I'm a little depressed now.

Who the fuck is this Pickering character? They are batshit insane. I'm going to guess they might even get their own talkback show on channel 10 soon.

Kritz

Banned
Here's something bad I coded today:

nOrh7.png
http://kritz.net/personal/unity/pickery/WebPlayer.html

It's not actually a game or anything. For now, anyway. I just thought it'd be good to try and make some stuff in unity that I can reuse for later projects.

It has your basic WASD movement, mouselook. You can press and hold Mouse1 to pick up green physics blocks, and release Mouse1 to let them go. Should the boxes go out of the field they'll teleport back to the blue thing, which is the only thing resembling a goal at the moment. The grabbing mechanic isn't as nice as I'd like it to be. I decided that the tradeoff of the picked up object noclipping everything outweighed the disadvantages of keeping its physics completely intact while grabbing it. I need to fiddle with that some more.

I don't know why I didn't make a jump command. Maybe I'll make a vaulting style thing instead.

Shaneus

Holy shit, I just saw this on the "upcoming" list for IAmA's:
sKwr8.png

PS. I'm having a shit of a time with Chrome at the moment. Fraps (and a lot of other things, it seems) has decided to consider it a D3D9 application and is showing the framerate of it all the time. I know I can turn it off, but it turns out my video card also thinks it's using D3D9 and randomly decides to change it's clock to 3D mode. Fucking irritating.

This is great, too:
Nusqs.png

PS. I'm having a shit of a time with Chrome at the moment. Fraps (and a lot of other things, it seems) has decided to consider it a D3D9 application and is showing the framerate of it all the time. I know I can turn it off, but it turns out my video card also thinks it's using D3D9 and randomly decides to change it's clock to 3D mode. Fucking irritating.

Chrome is GPU accelerated.

Gazunta

I got some unexpected money today AND I was in a JB tonight and I somehow didn't walk out with a 3DS XL?

I've changed, man.

I've changed.

Shaneus

Chrome is GPU accelerated.
Yeah, but it's never done it before. Either way, disabling Flash and GPU acceleration seems to have fixed it. No longer does Fraps pop up on my G510 when I'm randomly scrolling through pages.

PS. Cheers for the link EC _b

BTW Can someone tell me who this Larry Pickering guy is? I opened up a tab with some rant on it for some reason, but have no idea why. Also, I think I'm going to head to the supermarket to get some Diet Rite Portello and jelly/Crunchie Cadbury chocolate stuff. My will is weak.

hamchan

Is anyone else disturbed at how well 3DS games are holding their price? Kid Icarus and Resident Evil Revelations are still holding the same price they launched at and they've been out for 6 months now. I want to play them but I'm certainly not paying full price when I've waited this long for their bomba price already.

BTW Can someone tell me who this Larry Pickering guy is? I opened up a tab with some rant on it for some reason, but have no idea why.

a crappy cartoonist. His schtick for years has been nude celebrities and politicians.
His calendars used to sell by the truckloads in the 70's and 80's.

Ydahs

Heh, the horrid day continues. Turns out the girl who died in that car crash on the Western Ring Rd in Melbourne was my brother's former classmate and my sister's close friend.

But finally some good news regarding my cousin. The bullet penetrated the small intestines and hip bone, but it was removed through surgery and he should pull through.

You have no idea how heartbroken I was when Safeway ceased putting Torquay Portello on their shelves.
Did possibly your local store just stop stocking them? There's a shitload of extra stuff on HomeShop that local stores don't have. It's up to them what they stock but HomeShop has every item Woolworths sells.

Oh shit indeed. I thought I read the whole damn thing, how did I miss that?

But finally some good news regarding my cousin. The bullet penetrated the small intestines and hip bone, but it was removed through surgery and he should pull through.
Great news. Is there any discussion of him moving somewhere safer once he's up and about? What's the situation like where he is (or was it just some freak occurrence)?

Shaneus

Did possibly your local store just stop stocking them? There's a shitload of extra stuff on HomeShop that local stores don't have. It's up to them what they stock but HomeShop has every item Woolworths sells.
Doubt it. I think it was a relatively local thing anyway (given the bottling place is on Torquay Rd. in Grovedale, outskirts of Geelong) but definitely a few of the stores had it. I don't think it was exactly nation-wide though, so doubt it's online. Still, I may have just found a new spark to get me to go to Grovie and suss out their bottling plant!

Oh shit indeed. I thought I read the whole damn thing, how did I miss that?
I gave up after the second "more posts..." at the bottom. Too much info for one night but man, I 100% admire Harmon for his dedication to that discussion. Some incredibly amazing, inspiring and insightful responses there, especially when a sentence or two would have sufficed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom