• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

I wonder, if it might be at all possible for us to do an all-over-Ausgaf meetup in Sydney or Melbourne, given enough time/money. What say you guys? Its like $100 return flight from anywhere on the east coast, so it's probably manageable in terms of costs. I guess its just work and family commitments that would be a worry. How would Sydney in February sound?

I vote Melbourne just becuase I have some friends there I could sponge a couch from to sleep on.

Tooth pulled today. I think I shall spend the next few days in a catatonic state with the help of my friend Codeine.

M6s8v.jpg

I think about this time last year.

AI is terrible for Snatch and driving missions. Allies stuck to ground, won't jump in car with you, enemy/ambient vehicles driver faster/erratic than possible. Plus any gunshot results in traffic putting on a demolition derby :/
Yeah, they're pretty frustrating at time. They, much like every other mission in the game, become a snooze once you've leveled up your characters and have become an invincible bullet sponge that's impervious to fire and explosion. Sure, that doesn't affect the dopeyass AI but it means while they stand around completely oblivious to the need for them to get in the fucking car you can kill every living and semi-living being around you instantly with your unlimited ammo wielding death bringing badass.

It helps lessen the sting that their ineptitude inflicts.

I wonder, if it might be at all possible for us to do an all-over-Ausgaf meetup in Sydney or Melbourne, given enough time/money. What say you guys? Its like $100 return flight from anywhere on the east coast, so it's probably manageable in terms of costs. I guess its just work and family commitments that would be a worry. How would Sydney in February sound?
It's not, like, totally set in stone or anything, but I think that maybe I'll be, like, having a kid around then... So put me down as a tentative, I guess.

Today, it occurred to me that when it comes to other people's kids, the strength of the urge to say to their parents "You're doing it wrong" is both directly proportional to how closely related to you they are and to how much damage such a comment would do to the general tranquility of your life.

It's not, like, totally set in stone or anything, but I think that maybe I'll be, like, having a kid around then... So put me down as a tentative, I guess.

Today, it occurred to me that when it comes to other people's kids, the strength of the urge to say to their parents "You're doing it wrong" is both directly proportional to how closely related to you they are and to how much damage such a comment would do to the general tranquility of your life.

lol. oh yeah! We could make it November/December time if it would be easier. I was worried about making it too close to Christmas is all.

In my experience this has definitely been the case.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

selfish.

Dead Man

Yeah, they're pretty frustrating at time. They, much like every other mission in the game, become a snooze once you've leveled up your characters and have become an invincible bullet sponge that's impervious to fire and explosion. Sure, that doesn't affect the dopeyass AI but it means while they stand around completely oblivious to the need for them to get in the fucking car you can kill every living and semi-living being around you instantly with your unlimited ammo wielding death bringing badass.

Or steal a Bear or military humvee thing with a minigun and use that to run missions.

Kritz

Banned
An entire AusEastGAF meetup would be something.

But I don't know if I'd be able to make it to one. The last two meetups I've hit have kind of been timed around... me already being in those places. So, we'll see.

I posted a video of the current progress of my game. It's just footage from Build 12 so it's nothing new if you've already played it. It also has some of the most atrocious music you'll ever hear.

Omikron

Yay all packed and ready for my firrrrst work trip. I feel so grown up and responsible n stuff! :D

You will hate them immediately. :)

Post child, I find it very difficult to judge anothers parenting. Except in the most extreme examples I suppose.

Danoss

Post child, I find it very difficult to judge anothers parenting. Except in the most extreme examples I suppose.

Should've seen this mum when I was at Ikea last week. Goddamn. Grabbing her child by both shoulders and shaking him screaming in his face. Fucking psychopath.

I'm all for disciplining children, giving them a smack when they need it, but there is a line and she went way past it. Poor kid.

Deeku

Hong Kong, same thing I guess lol.

Have you decided if you still want my vita? I'm totally set on buying a white miku vita when I'm in Tokyo for a weekend, and funds from the sale will make my purchase less stupid!

~ vita + wipeout + 16gb card, or vita + wipeout + lumines + 4gb card for 250 ~

Omi said:
You will hate them immediately. :)
Totally!

Also - speaking of psn, I went and signed up for a year of psn+ since it's on sale. Did the 90 day trial when they started doing the free game thing and it's worked out pretty well for me. Like, most of the free games were ones that I kinda wanted to play, but just never got around to it. And getting 4 bucks of sound shapes was kinda neat I guess lol.

Jintor

When are you off? If you need the money now I'll buy now, but if at all possible I'd prefer to wait until my paycheck comes in. Just for security.

Also can I vita + lumines + 16gb? :T

Also - speaking of psn, I went and signed up for a year of psn+ since it's on sale. Did the 90 day trial when they started doing the free game thing and it's worked out pretty well for me. Like, most of the free games were ones that I kinda wanted to play, but just never got around to it. And getting 4 bucks of sound shapes was kinda neat I guess lol.

Yeah mine just lapsed. The only game I played was virtua fighter. Got the rest "downloaded" in case I ever want to play them in the future.

Deeku

When are you off? If you need the money now I'll buy now, but if at all possible I'd prefer to wait until my paycheck comes in. Just for security.

Also can I vita + lumines + 16gb? :T
Yeah do it when I get back, so in 2 weeks or so. Just wanted to check you're still on board so I can buy without regrets!

vita + lumines + 16gb = 250+30 so I only need to rebuy a 16gb card......aww maybe that's mean. I'll think on it!

Yeah mine just lapsed. The only game I played was virtua fighter. Got the rest "downloaded" in case I ever want to play them in the future.
Yup, mine finished today too. I dabbled in a few of the games, been playing Darksiders the most. And yeah, did the download thing just in case!

Deeku

Should be fine. I assume it's just like a ps3 in that you format the thing, and then deactivate it from my psn account.

Darklord

Banned
I've never been to a GAF meet. I wanted to go last time but was away when it happened. I'll definitely try and go next time. YOU ALL BETTER BE NICE!

Where can I find a dreamcast? There's like 1 on Ebay. :\

Yagharek

I've never been to a GAF meet. I wanted to go last time but was away when it happened. I'll definitely try and go next time. YOU ALL BETTER BE NICE!

Where can I find a dreamcast? There's like 1 on Ebay. :\

I could point you in the general direction of ozisoft/atari/gamenation/whatever theyre called now and a dude called Steve O'Leary.

He might know of a warehouse with some stock. >.>

Only if leave gets approved :( boss umm'd and arr'd a bit said he'll thin tomorrow

but he your uncle

anyway first real job first day tomorrow
also final count on my movie thing from jan 1 was 48
not including a whole bunch of half watched, already seen but not this year and not on the list movies.

Darklord

Banned
I could point you in the general direction of ozisoft/atari/gamenation/whatever theyre called now and a dude called Steve O'Leary.

He might know of a warehouse with some stock. >.>

Really? Is there like a site for them still? My Google skills are failing me and finding any info. ><

Anyone with an aussie PSN account able to see if they can find jojos bizarre adventure for me. I spent 10 mins last night and couldn't find it for the life of me.

Yeah doing an old fashioned jRPG grind does make the game a lot more fun, but I shouldn't have to do it. Sleeping Dogs has a similar idea of ramping up your abilities yet in the beginning you feel that it is you the player who isn't strong enough (I mean experienced enough with the controls and map layout) rather than the game has made the enemy impossible to beat.

Once you get the Heli Gunship during one of the story missions you can fly to all the Gang Spots and missle them out of existence. Boosts your income really well.

Also you NEED to level up your pistols (and then your SMG's) to Level 4 ASAP otherwise every combat instance becomes a lucky slog since the longer you stand their shooting the more and more enemies spawn up nearby. FUCKING TERRIBLE DESIGN VOLITION.

I judge like Judge Judy meets Judge Dreaddddddddd. But I don't say anything because parenting is hard yo. I can understand sobbing in the corner as much as the next parent. As long as they don't force something on their child they are doing alright in my book.

Yeah, will be my go too from now on, save some massive sale. Now to find some cheap Psn cards and I'll be set.
THIS IS YOUR LUCKY DAY BUDDY 2x$30 FOR $50 AT DSE.

I oughta make you sign a contract

&#65295;&#20154;&#9685; &#8255;&#8255; &#9685;&#20154;&#65340;
Doesn't show up on Mobile GAF :/

Anyone with an aussie PSN account able to see if they can find jojos bizarre adventure for me. I spent 10 mins last night and couldn't find it for the life of me.
I heard it was 1600 points on XBLA so maybe they are wondering if they should drop the price rather than release it to its death. Fuckers. Would buy at 800 allars FOR SURE.

senahorse

ONLINE shopping could be set to get more expensive after a review recommended new tax levels for cheap imported parcels.
Under current mail arrangements, GST is generally only charged for overseas packages worth $1000 or more, because the amount of money spent recovering tax on cheaper goods was thought to outweigh revenue collected.
But a government taskforce recommended the threshold be lowered, after finding that this could be a cost-effective way to raise money and even the field for domestic retailers.
The government has received the report and will now talk to the retail industry before outlining a response.
Shop owners have applauded the findings, after arguing that customers were flocking to the internet for cheaper prices that weren't taxed in the way domestic goods are.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/money/cost-o...ds/story-fnagkbpv-1226467068178#ixzz25jygrRnm

Oh great, looks like fuckface Gerry is getting his way. I will have to start getting my parcels marked as 'gift'.

Clipper

Oh great, looks like fuckface Gerry is getting his way. I will have to start getting my parcels marked as 'gift'.

I think there's legal issues for companies to do that, though, and the gift trick might not work. I hope Australia Post just refuses to do it (given they will be the ones apparently charging the fee). The only way I can see it being possible for AP is to charge people to pick up their parcels, but that means they couldn't deliver the parcels to your door, which means more counter staff, longer lines and general uselessness of the whole plan. I mean, it's either that or holding your parcels hostage in a holding facility, but even that needs storage space and people that AP really shouldn't be forced to use.

If they do find a way to make this work that doesn't delay my packages, I don't mind paying the extra fee, though. 10% extra on the product's price is not all that much when I'm already saving 50%.

Danoss

Nice work. Instead of holding Australian distributors accountable and making them actually be competitive, you look at adding something to make it slightly more inconvenient for the customer, and considerably more irritating for mail handlers.

If 10% is the difference between buying local and importing, I'll buy local for the sake of convenience. When some items here are 300% and over the import cost, what difference does 10% make? This solves nothing other than more taxes for the government (which they sorely need by the looks of it) and doesn't help retailers at all. What has happened to Angus & Robertson and Borders is an indicator that something is severely wrong, and this band-aid solution has been applied to the wrong wound.

senahorse

I think you're right about legal issues Clipper, the only 'real' way I guess would be to have the items undervalued but then you leave yourself open to problems if your package goes missing etc, again legal issues.

I am happy to support local retail when it makes sense, that is, the prices are not more than 20% dearer than online alternatives. The problem is we often see markups of 50%, 100% and beyond. I get that retail have more expenses, taxes, etc than an online only store in another country, the problem lies more so with the distributors in our region. The government can't do anything about that, so in order to appease the whining retailers like Gerry Harvey it's easier to slap a tax on the consumer.

And yes, hopefully AusPost tell them where to go, this would create an enormous amount of work for them.

edit: Gamehubs on Steam, this seems pretty cool how they have integrated the discussion forum into the hub.

Wouldn't it fall upon Customs to charge you the amount? If so, I'm sure they'd manage to come up with some sort of invoicing system that they would implement, attaching the invoice to the parcel and giving you Xdays to pay it. That way the money goes directly to them, too.

Having said that, any process designed by the government is not going to be streamlined or sensible, so perhaps not.

senahorse

The article states that they proposed AusPost to handle the collection of the money, not sure if that means customs handles the actual calculation of it. Though last I heard customs was overworked and could only check a small sample size of packages as it is, so I don't think they would be able to do this without an overhaul of the system and hiring of many more staff.

Yagharek

Charge me 10% GST and its sill less than half the local price for most things I import.

Out of interest though, what is the Good or Service being provided by a local agency? You can't add 10% tax on something that didn't come from here or have an associated service from here. It's like trying to charge a utility tax on electricity for the electrons/current that was generated in America to send the Amazon shipping invoice to you by email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom