• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Right, so if you run out of the pack, go for a kick and get tackled so the ball spills free, its no longer holding the ball.

Omi is right, AFL rules are a farce.

midonnay

They changed the rules about incorrect disposal iirc...

Finals footy is more about heart than technique :)

Also because of the zone defense, it necessitates getting the ball moving as fast as possible

Yagharek

They changed the rules about incorrect disposal iirc...

Finals footy is more about heart than technique :)

Also because of the zone defense, it necessitates getting the ball moving as fast as possible

Pretty poor excuse (from the afl). There was no correct disposal and he was dispossessed in a tackle.

Holding the ball, every time.

The rules are a farce, when simple things like that rule are thrown out for no reason.

No wonder games that are overregulated with ticky touchwood fake rules never pick up outside the insular places they begin.

I was right. Leigh Matthews just waffled about how it hadn't changed for twenty years.

Too easy. The only thing leigh matthews does is waffle on

Rezbit

Yeah, for some reason commentators think no scoring and sloppy skills with lots of tackles = good game. Funnily enough the game got better to watch in the last 5 mins with some arsey goals.

Also I fucking hate how incorrect disposal isn't a rule any more. Blame Chris Judd. I'm totally serious. "I've got the ball! OMG I'm being tackled!" *drop*

Yagharek

Yeah, for some reason commentators think no scoring and sloppy skills with lots of tackles = good game. Funnily enough the game got better to watch in the last 5 mins with some arsey goals.

Also I fucking hate how incorrect disposal isn't a rule any more. Blame Chris Judd. I'm totally serious. "I've got the ball! OMG I'm being tackled!" *drop*

Ablett does it too, all the time. Its cheating.

It's also more annoying because now they give fifty metre penalties for stepping over a blade of grass or backchat, but they dont even give a free kick for tackling the player with the ball who has been too ambitious.

Danoss

"I've got the ball! OMG I'm being tackled!" *drop*

I thought that's how it always was. I don't know much about the sport, but as a casual observer, that's what it looks like. I thought of AFL for the longest time as "Butterfingers: The Game".

Kritz

Banned
Hobart PAX IMO. State government are going to bid for hosting rights.

We can all go down to the telegraph and get hour-priced stines!

So I'm working with the Penny Arcade guys on PAX Australia as the Event & Marketing Manager!

AUSGAF UNITE! What would you all want out of a PAX event? I wanna hear from you.

The thing that I've most loved about PAX is hearing people in the industry. From the game developers to programmers to the indie guys who do jack of all trade stuff, and even the journalists who cover the stuff. PAX to me isn't so much about the games as it is the people behind the games, and that of course includes the fans.

And, at that, I'm in the middle of getting my degree, which covers a minor in Game Design. But, me living in Tasmania means job opportunities for that don't really exist. So simply hearing the success stories, and even the stories that didn't have a happy ending, would be super enthralling.

Isn't the guy who made QWOP Australian? And Rockit, who headed DayZ, seems to be in New Zealand quite often. I'd love to hear them speak for an hour about design philosophy in general. Even if it's not those two specific dudes, Aussie developers are a must have.

Video Games ~

--

Also, we need to have an AusGAFPAX get together (in addition to the meetup Shan seems to be planning).

So I'm working with the Penny Arcade guys on PAX Australia as the Event & Marketing Manager!
Congrats, man. Besides desiring it be held in Melbourne, I'd really like to see an area for Australian indie devs, as well as (what remains of) the bigger guys. Even team Bondi. Perhaps a panel with some ex staff from some of the bigger houses that have been shut down discussing their games. Antiques Roadshow would be nice if Kohler is coming. I'd love a 'history lane' with old arcade an console games, sort of like the entrance to the Game Masters thing.

I expect we'll see accompanying parties at Mana Bar?

Gazunta

As fuck, PAXAU neeeeeeds to have Kohler there. I owe him so many man hugs and need to get him drunk in Australia. Yes. Yes yes yes.

But yeah, more than anything else, I really think this should be a show that's about Australian / NZ devs and players as much as possible. Of course all the big distributors will want to be showcasing their big overseas games and that's great, but I'd rather this be more about the local scene because we're at this cool point now where everything is recovering and people are doing cool stuff here.

I'll be there even if you foolishly put it somewhere that isn't Brisbane :)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It is pretty embarrassing since the person in question you people are complaining about..
is a guy I've known on the internet since 2004!

Rlan

Someone once described PAX to me as not being a 'consumer' show, but a 'community' show, and after coming back from PAX Prime in Seattle last weekend I have to agree.

The big expo halls filled with publishers are a huge part of it of course, but just as big are all the other areas - the free to play console areas, the random tournaments, the old school gaming setups, beanbags and handheld areas, table top games, the BYOC Lan area, industry panels, nerdcore concerts, Omegathon, and of course Gabe and Tycho gracing our shores in the flesh.

AUSGAF UNITE! What would you all want out of a PAX event? I wanna hear from you.

1) The final game in the AUSPAX Omegathon should be a battle to the death with Aussie Rules Footy for the NES.

2) I'd love to see something like an Aussie gaming museum -- Classic games from Beam, Ratbag etc. on show.

3) Postmortems aren't much of a thing for PAX in the past, but I'd loved GDC's style classic postmortems on some of this stuff. Someone from Beam at least :p

4) Assuming this thing exists between PAX East and PAX Prime, if it's after E3 but before Gamescom, that'd mean we get the first on-hand play of new machines, right? :p

5) If we see PAX having Podcasts like GFW Radio and Idle Thumbs getting Panels, surely we can get Ed Kavalee and Tony Martin in for a Get This panel? :p

Choc

Banned
Tokyo Jungle just got patched for remote play on vita

fuck yes

edit: jintor that guy HAS to be banned or gaf is a joke now. There is another ultra sexist pig on the front page of that thread who should be banned as well

Salazar

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-broken-families/story-e6freon6-1226467645378

THE BELIEFS

* System of ‘healing, health and wellbeing’ devised by a former tennis coach with no medical qualifications

* Followers told to avoid dairy food, gluten, caffeine, alcohol, drugs and most modern forms of music, except for Universal Medicine’s in-house music as it has ‘negative energy’

* Sleep recommended 9pm to 3am

* Treatments include ‘craniosacral massage’, ‘esoteric connective tissue therapy’, and ‘esoteric breast massage’. All lack mainstream medical endorsement

* After breast massage, clients told to use Universal Medicine cream to deter bad energy, and to not allow their partners to touch them without permission

Preying on the Smart State, smh.

1) The final game in the AUSPAX Omegathon should be a battle to the death with Aussie Rules Footy for the NES.
How about Penetrator for TRS-80, made at Melbourne House.

Come to think of it...
2) I'd love to see something like an Aussie gaming museum -- Classic games from Beam, Ratbag etc. on show.
Get some of these older guys from the early days who may not even be in 'the industry' any more to talk about it.

Salazar

Quick, where can I get an Esoteric licence to practise?

IDVJt.gif

Deeku

Blazer is on its way, Deek. Am ready to detach the quilted lining and burn it immediately.
Lol, vids! New avatar!

Made it to HK. Watched Brave on the plane. Stutterred horribly while saying Panini to the hot air hostess, and then said bread instead.... Read a bit of the new murakami book. Sideways business class seats suck! Umm, thats all i guess. Gonna go out for some food now!

Danoss

Can't believe I haven't seen "Everything is a Remix" up until now. It demonstrates well how influential and inspiring art/others works is on the creation of other peoples works and ultimately how patents and such stifle creativity and the evolution of ideas.

Definitely worth a watch, and it relates well to the Apple v Samsung, those jerks vs Men at Work's Greg Ham, and other similar lawsuits of late. Here's a brief TED talk on the same topic by the same person.

Also, we need to have an AusGAFPAX get together (in addition to the meetup Shan seems to be planning).
Well, depending on when and where it is we could combine it into one!! Ausgaf goes to PAX!
Moron in the Stardock thread arguing against the validity of sexual harassment law: god damn.
Oh jeez, I don't think I could do two sexual harassment threads in one day...
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-broken-families/story-e6freon6-1226467645378
* After breast massage, clients told to use Universal Medicine cream to deter bad energy

"Give me money. Also let me play with your boobs... do you want to be unhealthy?".

Jintor

Can't believe I haven't seen "Everything is a Remix" up until now. It demonstrates well how influential and inspiring art/others works is on the creation of other peoples works and ultimately how patents and such stifle creativity and the evolution of ideas.

Definitely worth a watch, and it relates well to the Apple v Samsung, those jerks vs Men at Work's Greg Ham, and other similar lawsuits of late. Here's a brief TED talk on the same topic by the same person.

The problems aren't patents/copyright/IP law themselves as an overall concept, the problem is that they're just not flexible enough to accomodate how innovation actually occurs, especially with regards to areas like software (which depends on building upon itself constantly)

Danoss

The problems aren't patents/copyright/IP law themselves as an overall concept, the problem is that they're just not flexible enough to accomodate how innovation actually occurs, especially with regards to areas like software (which depends on building upon itself constantly)

He mentions this specifically.

Danoss

Well, I'll bookmark it for now.

Law is just too slow moving to keep up these days :/

The TED talk is the series condensed into 10 minutes, and is still good. The more elaborate details in the full series is very interesting and is worth your time when you have it to spare.

Dead Man

I've been meaning to watch this for a while now, the Ted talk was great.

Axiom

Personally, I'd want to see The Zone and/or the writers of Aussie NMS reunite.

Failing that, call channel 7 and get a lend of the A*mazing set with some sweet controller desks and set up the maze for people to have a go at.

I'm sure James Sherry is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom