• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Maybe I should have specified old school PC gamers, I think you'll find the vast majority of them use inverted.
Pretty sure this isn't true at all. They certainly are vocal though.

No, I'm just providing examples of how I see it. And why I find non inverted perplexing when people say they are playing the character.
I think both sides explanations are just attempts at making sense of what control scheme felt right at the time, or which scheme they got used to first. Obviously people who were heavily into flight sims would invert first. Either way, x3n wasn't talking about character or anything.

Also Jambo you might want to edit that
Read the whole thread cunt.

I don't actually care, I was just celebrating the fact that we can say cunt again =P [

Wait? Serious? Cunt yes. So long Karmichael, you served us well.

I have a confession to make. I have zero interest in Tokyo Jungle and can't see myself getting it. Like ever.

Shaneus

Holy shit. Somehow, GAF is fine but the cunts thread has been blocked for "adult content". I can only assume that keyword advertising has picked up on the theme of the thread and advertising adult websites.

tehehe

ManeKast

What a great time to get an injury (out of the water for 2 weeks).... Dishonored comes out of nowhere and is getting all kinds of great reviews and my favorite PC game of all time gets a quality remake and both come out on the same day. YES cunts.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
any oneknow what's good free video editing software at the moment?

there's a final cut pro demo, but I don't have a mac... and if i remember, microsoft movie maker turned to shit around 6 years ago

Gazunta

You know what's really fun? Working on a flight-sim type game for two and a half years and having this conversation EVERY GOD DAMN DAY CHRIST.

One step closer to getting a new Blow The Cartridge book printed in time for Supanova yeeeeaaaaah.

That sucks Jintor :( Time to start something for yourself?

Rezbit

Hey cunts I can play either. Had experience with both as I got sick of having to pause games to change controls in epic multiplayer sessions where you have to share controls. Usually just go with default these days which is non inverted.

Dead Man

You know what's really fun? Working on a flight-sim type game for two and a half years and having this conversation EVERY GOD DAMN DAY CHRIST.

One step closer to getting a new Blow The Cartridge book printed in time for Supanova yeeeeaaaaah.

That sucks Jintor :( Time to start something for yourself?

If you have to have that conversation it is not a flight sim type game ;)

So, you are taking ownership of banning me? :(

It hurts deep.
Maybe someone in here squealed on you ;)

Never, hopefully. Only terrible people invert their controls.
TRUTH

Invert on controllers because sticks are on an axis.
Non-invert on mice because they're on a plane.

THIS IS MOST LOGICAL.
ALMOST

Invert never. Unless you're flying something.
YES THIS HANDSOME DEVIL GETS IT

Pulling back on a surfboard/skateboard/snowboard always tilts up, so I cannot fathom how pushing forward to lift is natural to anyone but each to their own.
WHAT? THAT MAKES NO SENSE. I SKATEBOARD AND DONT EVEN UNDERSTAND. IM NOT LIFTING A MOUSE, I AM PUSHING IT IN ONE DIRECTION!

Invert only for flight stuff. In an FPS moving the mouse is moving my vision, not a floating weapon. I think people who invert may have that concept stronger in their mind that they are controlling a floating item. I also guess that in my mind the mouse is more on a vertical plane, rather than the horizontal desk that is actually reality. My brain tells my hand to move it forward but my mind is thinking up. Probably also why I play better when the mouse is right next to the keyboard rather than having the keyboard on a fucking drawer that comes out from the desk.

In any case it is a peripheral interface that we choose to implement. Doesn't really matter what way it is used, as long as it is effective and efficient for the user.

I should get a Hydra.

Did anyone do my tax for me yet?

New episode of The League this week frittatas!!!
Oh sweet! Why didn't anyone tell me earlier!

Ahahaha... another freelance job just dried up into thin air...

fuck me, print media ain't what it used to be.
Start a blog. Write write write. If it is good and plentiful someone will replace their shitty writer with you.

Fusebox

Banned
Invert only for flight stuff. In an FPS moving the mouse is moving my vision, not a floating weapon. I think people who invert may have that concept stronger in their mind that they are controlling a floating item.

It's like you took my earlier post and flipped it...

I think people who invert in FPS conceptualise themselves as the protagonist in the game and move the characters head accordingly, whereas non-inverters conceptualise themselves as the tip of the gun and move the tip of the gun instead.

jambo

Southpaw jumpy.

IRZha.gif

AusGAF 8: What a bunch of cunts.

Should I buy XCOM from GMG for $37.50 to get the free Civ5 that I'll probably never play given that I won't be able to play until the end of the month? Or maybe see if I can find a boxed Japanese version (highly unlikely)?

It will probably only get down to $20ish for the Xmas sales so I guess it depends on how desperate you are to play it? Civ5 is only worth $5 at most (financially, not value wise, don't hurt me!)

It's like you took my earlier post and flipped it...

I don't remember reading that actually :/

Glad to see I'm not crazy though! I have heard the floating gun thing a few times before.

ManeKast

WHAT? THAT MAKES NO SENSE. I SKATEBOARD AND DONT EVEN UNDERSTAND.
When you apply pressure to the back of the board, the front lifts, same with surfboards, so then the view of the board is up if momentum is forward. Push forward (in water is easier to visualize) and the board descends. Makes perfect sense to me?

Oh yeah, 35.

senahorse

Look straight up to the ceiling/sky right now. What way did your neck/head tilt? Or did you just use your eyes?

Edit: bad example, I guess it could be seen as pulling back or pushing forward on Y axis, depending on how you see controls.......

It's just a personal preference, I don't think there is a right or wrong way. But for me, the right way is non-inverted. I always likened using a mouse or analog stick the same as if I am using a mouse on a desktop, I see a point in space I move to that location. Again, probably a shitty example, but then again, I never really thought about why I do it, I just know it feels more intuitive to me.

edit: 36

edit2:

Dear x3n05,

You are receiving this email because the keys for Dishonored (EU) that you have been waiting for have been just added to your account.

Download URL: https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/388665-how-to-download-a-steam-activated-game

Activation keys:
DYRT-IATS-WMIA

woot

When you apply pressure to the back of the board, the front lifts, same with surfboards, so then the view of the board is up if momentum is forward. Push forward (in water is easier to visualize) and the board descends. Makes perfect sense to me?

Oh yeah, 35.

When I am skateboarding I tend to keep my head level with the horizon, regardless of if I am putting my weight on the front or back of the skateboard though? Again it is dependant on your focus of either being the board or the person though.

ManeKast

When I am skateboarding I tend to keep my head level with the horizon, regardless of if I am putting my weight on the front or back of the skateboard though? Again it is dependant on your focus of either being the board or the person though.

I think right there you nailed the essence of what makes us choose one or the other. How you perceive your interaction and how that is simulated in game, in your instance you are relating a different aspect than I, I think I am controlling the axis of the board, you are controlling your viewpoint, both are applicable, just different mindsets.

senahorse

Too many games to play again. I still have a load of Borderlands 2 to go (only level 25 on my main :/), hell I haven't even finished Darksiders 2. From the last week I also have Hell Yeah and LBP Vita hardly played and now this week X-Com and Dishonored. How the crap do you ever get to your backlog I will never know.

I think right there you nailed the essence of what makes us choose one or the other. How you perceive your interaction and how that is simulated in game, in your instance you are relating a different aspect than I, I think I am controlling the axis of the board, you are controlling your viewpoint, both are applicable, just different mindsets.

I hope this is the kind of thing Valve is testing for in regards to their peripherals that they are designing! Could lead to some new input devices that allow them to shift us into an experience that they have greater designs over.

Plus you can only add so many buttons to a mouse before it becomes too heavy to move.

How the crap do you ever get to your backlog I will never know.
Don't buy any game over $5 unless you finish (or decide once and for all to abandon) two first (e.g. finish two, buy one). I've hardly bought anything over $10 this year (3-4 maybe?).

Doesn't work for flash in the pan multiplayer games or where you want to be part of the conversation which usually occurs at release.

Too many games to play again. I still have a load of Borderlands 2 to go (only level 25 on my main :/), hell I haven't even finished Darksiders 2. From the last week I also have Hell Yeah and LBP Vita hardly played and now this week X-Com and Dishonored. How the crap do you ever get to your backlog I will never know.

More gaming, less neogaf.

senahorse

Not a bad strategy, except I like shiny things and in Steam alone my backlog is at around 300, never mind my console/handheld backlog. I just have to learn to let go I guess, so many games get released nowadays and there really is no time to play them all, unless I quit work but the other half wouldn't be impressed with that :)

What's this? I don't have a facebook account.

The hard part is learning to avoid getting swept up in the hype. Add the game to 'the list' instead of buying it, and when you finish something you still get the reward of buying a new shiny thing from said list. You'll also get them cheaper and realise you didn't really want some of them anyway.

I still buy games I'm ultra-hyped about regardless, there's no reason to make it feel like a struggle.

Alternatively, don't stress over 'finishing' a game. Play enough to feel like you got your money worth and move on. Put it in a 'done with it but not finished' category in Steam and collapse it so it's not taunting you.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Not a bad strategy, except I like shiny things and in Steam alone my backlog is at around 300, never mind my console/handheld backlog. I just have to learn to let go I guess, so many games get released nowadays and there really is no time to play them all, unless I quit work but the other half wouldn't be impressed with that :)

What's this? I don't have a facebook account.

Announcement: Unfortunately there will never be a dual SC2-LoL Barcraft as Riot has outlawed having LoL at a Barcraft with any other game. In essence if you're going to do a Barcraft for LoL its either LoL only or not at all.

senahorse

The hard part is learning to avoid getting swept up in the hype. Add the game to 'the list' instead of buying it, and when you finish something you still get the reward of buying a new shiny thing from said list. You'll also get them cheaper and realise you didn't really want some of them anyway.

I still buy games I'm ultra-hyped about regardless, there's no reason to make it feel like a struggle.

Alternatively, don't stress over 'finishing' a game. Play enough to feel like you got your money worth and move on. Put it in a 'done with it but not finished' category in Steam and collapse it so it's not taunting you.

That's pretty much how I look at it now, if I get 1 hour per $10 I have spent, I am content, anything over is a bonus.

Announcement: Unfortunately there will never be a dual SC2-LoL Barcraft as Riot has outlawed having LoL at a Barcraft with any other game. In essence if you're going to do a Barcraft for LoL its either LoL only or not at all.

Why do they care, are they just being asshats or do they get some kind of incentive from Blizzard?

jambo

24, but not for long...

That's from like a month ago. There was a thread and everything. I think Riot ended up backing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom