• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
AUSGAF LIST OF QUESTIONS:

What is your Steam ID?

Those are all the questions anyone cares about.

But if you really want to, you can talk about bacon, whiskey, vegemite and cunts as well.

jambo

Holy shit.

There's an AusGAF.

Why is it sticky? In Community Gaming?

Totally LTTP here.

Hi. :)

Hi

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
How many of your children has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far?
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery?
Would you buy a Crackdown 3?
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas?
iOS gamer or Android user?
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM?
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming?
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies?
UGG boots. Do you speak it?
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY?
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan?
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here.
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole cunt?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez?
Any glass eyeballs?
Are you the one delaying all the fucking videogames into 2013?
Are you Mayan or can use Maya?
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time

Steam ID? - VKSquirrel
360 Gamertag? - N/A
PS3 thingy? - VKSquirrel
Twitterer? - VKSCesar
How many of your children has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far? - None... Yet.
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery? - Brosnan
Would you buy a Crackdown 3? - No. Open world ain't my thing.
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas? - Meh.
iOS gamer or Android user? - I use iOS, but not much for gaming.
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM? - Ambivalent. Companies gotta comp, but at the same time, actively ruining the user experience is weak. WEAK.
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming? - I wear the pants when it comes to gaming in my house (and have my wife's permission to say so)
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies? - I'm sorry. First gen immigrant here. References that hark back to prior to 1991 are sort of lost on me.
UGG boots. Do you speak it? - I own two pairs.
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips. - Yes.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY? - Have a 3DS
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan? - Uh... I like Phoenix Wright.
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here. - Yes. Also Emma Stone. Mmm.
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole - He can't be both? He's my favourite political joke.
Jalapeño man? - Eh. Don't miss them when they're unavailable.
BACON MAN? - Fun fact, saying "Beer Can" in an Aussie accent sounds like saying "Bacon" in a Jamaican one. Yes.
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider? - I don't always drink, but when I do, I prefer cider.
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge? - Foul toxic sludge.
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez? - No.
Any glass eyeballs? - No.
[b[Are you the one delaying all the fucking videogames into 2013? [/b] - And I'd do it again, too! Mwahahahaha!
Are you Mayan or can use Maya? - Actually, my ancestors were most likely Aztec colonists from the Yucatán who settled in Cuscatlán around the 13th century (seriously).
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time - If you say so.

Arksy

Steam ID? Arkin
360 Gamertag? Azareal but I’m PC only these days.
PS3 thingy? Never use.
Twitterer? Nope.
How many of your children has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far? None, mining tax on the other hand. My poor unborn children. :’(
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery? Dalton. You can’t get past that voice.
Would you buy a Crackdown 3? Hell yes.
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas? Blank.
iOS gamer or Android user? Nope.
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM? Sucks more than Port Adelaide.
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming? Nah, my mates missus can own my ass in HoN any day.
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies? Depending.
UGG boots. Do you speak it? Fluently.
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips. Lies. Pringles.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY? 3DS.
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan? Board games.
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here. I have pretty low standards….
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole cunt? Pollies are all cunts.
Jalapeño man? ¡Arriba!
BACON MAN? Who isn’t.
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider? I am Aussie aren't I?
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge? Blessed be thy fine blacken nectar.
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez? Teh Fieldz
Any glass eyeballs? Not that I know of…
Are you the one delaying all the fucking videogames into 2013? My bad.
Are you Mayan or can use Maya? Nope.
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time It’s pretty damn good.

hirokazu

Hahaha. Finally got what he deserved. But I think Abbott should catch flak for the whole "Government has died of shame" thing. There's no way he didn't say that on purpose and that's just as terrible and insensitive as Alan Jones.

People should be calling for his resignation from those remarks alone (and replace him with Malcolm Turnbull!), but too bad Gillard has stolen the show here.

Steam ID? Arkin
PS3 thingy? Never use.
Twitterer? Nope.
How many of your children has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far? None, mining tax on the other hand. My poor unborn children. :’(
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery? Dalton. You can’t get past that voice.
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming? Nah, my mates missus can own my ass in HoN any day.
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here. I have pretty low standards….
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole cunt? Pollies are all cunts.
Jalapeño man? ¡Arriba!
BACON MAN? Who isn’t.
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge? Blessed be thy fine blacken nectar.
age and state

Choc

Banned
Man choccers pretty much only Laura Parker, Serrels and Tracey would get that story right straight up

fact.checking. is part of the job

games.on.net where the link was quoted got it right....

gillard inspired me. It was years of pent up frustration with that site and its looseness with the truth

Jintor

i mean, this is a larger argument about the state of media overall, but online bite-sized news sites simply don't pay enough to justify an appropriate level of fact checking as expected anymore. it's a sad state of affairs.

that reminds me, i should go check if CBSI is hiring in Sydney. Or at least will take interns...

Choc

Banned
ok so the story has been updated without the clarification statement that journalists are taught to include when a story is updated...

fuck me games journalism is in a dog place. I know EVERY site does that (except mark @ kotau) but its just ridiculous.

im not saying that GJ needs to be anything like MSM, but at least SOME level of substance to integrity

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Steam ID? Arkin
PS3 thingy? Never use.
Twitterer? Nope.
Jalapeño man? ¡Arriba!
BACON MAN? Who isn’t.

hey you're from radelaide!

that reminds me

radelaidegaf meet up

early nov, who's keen? as i'll be home for 10 days

Abbott who spent all afternoon tearing strips off Slipper, now feels sorry for him as a human being. Abbott really doesn't seem to have any conscience or ethics left.

Slipper resigned btw!

Choc

Banned
Abbott unhappy because Gillard got 2 victories today

got the chance to tear him apart

slipper resigned iwthout being sacked. So tony cant chalk up a I MADE THE GVT DO SOMETHING victory

very very bad day for Tony, he is having a lot of those recently. and MT is starting to talk out of turn.

The spill is on guys, its going to happen, maybe not soon but definitely before the election if this keeps up

Jintor

ok so the story has been updated without the clarification statement that journalists are taught to include when a story is updated...

fuck me games journalism is in a dog place. I know EVERY site does that (except mark @ kotau) but its just ridiculous.

im not saying that GJ needs to be anything like MSM, but at least SOME level of substance to integrity

give it up choc, parody videogame news is the place to be

Choc

Banned
give it up choc, parody videogame news is the place to be

come on Jintor surely you as one of those people in the industry would like to see GJ be a place with some level of integrity most of the time? :)

like i said, its not that serious, its not world events changing kinda thing but just some semblance of following journalistic norms and rules would be nice

maybe i am just a dinosaur who yearn for the days where people did do research and were not rushing stories out the door.

Like for example, compare that article to what Serrels wrote today about how assasins creed make him fall in love with climbing

its just ridiculous.,

Lol Choc, I noticed a fair amount of stories on that vg247 have comments correcting the reporter. Like Binding of Isaac being a Team Meat production. Also why the fuck are they talking about retail contents today? It has been out at retail for a while now and all the major sellers listed the contents. :/

Fuck you :(

You are awesome :)

i mean, this is a larger argument about the state of media overall, but online bite-sized news sites simply don't pay enough to justify an appropriate level of fact checking as expected anymore. it's a sad state of affairs.
At the very least Google that shit first. I expect that much of posters here on NeoGAF, let alone someone who thinks they are more than just a fan, someone who thinks they can professionally inform peoples decisions.

Just don't fucking lie to me. Is that too much to ask for?

Slipper resigned btw!
His position was untenable. He had to go one way or another, he had lost the confidence of those who give him great power over them.

Jintor

come on Jintor surely you as one of those people in the industry would like to see GJ be a place with some level of integrity most of the time? :)

Undoubtedly, but

a) It's entertainment journalism
b) It's mass-market anybody-can-enter no-standards-apply entertainment journalism with no profit (in fact, grevious losses) involved in maintaining quality of writing and ethics

I mean media as a whole is losing its edge as a profit-creation business and to be honest I don't really know if that's tenable at all. I saw a rather radical view by David Simon that said it should move to a not-for-profit motivation (as distinguished from a government supported motivation), something which I found attractive. Media, something where the end product is its reward, not massive advertising revenue. Naive and idealistic as it is...

reptilescorpio said:
At the very least Google that shit first. I expect that much of posters here on NeoGAF, let alone someone who thinks they are more than just a fan, someone who thinks they can professionally inform peoples decisions.

Just don't fucking lie to me. Is that too much to ask for?

Pay me

Choc

Banned
Undoubtedly, but

a) It's entertainment journalism
b) It's mass-market anybody-can-enter no-standards-apply entertainment journalism with no profit (in fact, grevous losses) involved in maintaining quality of writing and ethics

I mean media as a whole is losing its edge as a profit-creation business and to be honest I don't really know if that's tenable at all. I saw a rather radical view by David Simon that said it should move to a not-for-profit motivation (as distinguished from a government supported motivation), something which I found attractive. Media, something where the end product is its reward, not massive advertising revenue. Naive and idealistic as it is...

VG247 is a site that is financially viable, pays workers a wage and is one of the most popular in the world (11 million uniques a month)

i hold a site like that to a higher std then a fan site or blog by unpaid fans, and for good reason.

Jintor

I'm not saying they don't deserve the criticism or that things are fine as they are!

[Conflict of interest declaration - I'm writing something for them soon. Hey, it's jobbing work]

I do want to point out that legal journalism is a right pain in the arse for laymen to understand, especially foreign laypersons

Choc

Banned
I'm not saying they don't deserve the criticism or that things are fine as they are!

[Conflict of interest declaration - I'm writing something for them soon. Hey, it's jobbing work]

I do want to point out that legal journalism is a right pain in the arse for laymen to understand, especially foreign laypersons

aha

but no thats fine jintor. VG247 CAN be a good site. Brenna writes some brilliant shit sometimes but there is a lot of things they can improve on, just saying.

VG247 is no Kotaku US, that i will say.

Jintor

Is there anything out there that does AP style games journalism?

I'm actually a little tempted to go for a post-grad journalism course. At least I used to be before the entire fucking market imploded.

Choc

Banned
Is there anything out there that does AP style games journalism?

I'm actually a little tempted to go for a post-grad journalism course. At least I used to be before the entire fucking market imploded.

you mean like a reuters for games journalism?

That, could be really interesting :eek:

gamespress.com? probably the closest i know or can think of the top of my head

of course there is PRWire which picks up games stuff but not just game stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom