• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of Bandcamp stuff is FLAC and Ogg.

Cheers, they don't look too bad. How do you find the quality? I'm not really an audiophile, but I have a pretty big speaker system and can instantly hear the difference between CDs and iTunes music on those speakers.

jambo

I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a double blind test

>_>

And FLAC is lossless, so it will sound the same as a CD.

midonnay

don't Itunes sell lossless versions too?

edit: nope.....alac just for your own conversions

but yeah, I wonder how many people can really tell the difference :/

I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a double blind test

>_>

And FLAC is lossless, so it will sound the same as a CD.

I have the same stuff on CD and bought from iTunes and my friends and I have put ourselves to the test and can tell which is which on the big speakers.

I was wondering about the Ogg files obviously... unless FLAC is really common on bandcamp? It looks like file formats will vary for all artists but if FLAC is pretty much standard I might be able to stop buying CDs :)

jambo

It's been proven again and again in double blind tests that people have no idea what they're listening to when it comes to quality.

Obviously if you listen to poorly encoded 128 stuff you can hear the difference, but 256 and 320 will sound the same as FLAC, WAV or CD unless you have tens of thousands of dollars worth of audiophile quality gear.

I'm pretty sure iTunes these days uses 256 AAC and also offers lossless files.

But whatever =P

It's been proven again and again in double blind tests that people have no idea what they're listening to when it comes to quality.

Obviously if you listen to poorly encoded 128 stuff you can hear the difference, but 256 and 320 will sound the same as FLAC, WAV or CD unless you have tens of thousands of dollars worth of audiophile quality gear.

I'm pretty sure iTunes these days uses 256 AAC and also offers lossless files.

But whatever =P
It's been a couple of years since I bought anything off iTunes, but all of my bought iTunes files are 128kb/s Protected AAC.

Jintor

I'll be honest, I don't remember what Song of Storms sounds like off by heart. I could probably tell that it was from LoZ, but that'd be about it.

Echoplx

That awkward moment when you come out of your room in the morning and there are two strangers having sex on your living room floor.

jambo

It's been a couple of years since I bought anything off iTunes, but all of my bought iTunes files are 128kb/s Protected AAC.

Yeah you'd be able to hear the difference then. People ketp bitching and bitching and Apple finally changed to unprotected 256 AAC.

They also open sourced their lossless codec which was kinda cool.

EDIT: Sorry if i'm coming off as overly aggressive at all, I used to help run a torrent tracker for Pink Floyd bootlegs and the mp3 versus lossless debate came up almost daily. I keep my bootlegs in lossless FLAC or SHN to preserve the quality, but for most other things I just use 320 mp3.

Shaneus

If she was a tourist, she'd assume that you being white means you're a celebrity. Not even fucking joking. I got a picture taken with some asian people at Moomba once and later their friend said they thought I was Brad Pitt. I look nothing like Bradd Pit.
Sweet. So for drinks tonight, we're looking for Brad Pitt.

Clipper

oh! I won't be able to do the night of the 24th. I think Friday night might work best for me actually.

I've updated the form. I'm the only one from Sydney that's filled it out, so it doesn't really affect the results. Let me know if you would prefer me to make other changes.

senahorse

It's that time of month again :D

photo1-2.jpg

Kritz

Banned
As I said in chat, my beer of the night is...

snC1E.jpg

Peroni. First time having it. Not bad, easy to drink. I'm not a beer snob so I have no idea.

Choc

Banned
unfortunately the super awesome final version of unfinished swan gives me horrendous motion sickness to the point of vomiting

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom