• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Seems like EA were pushing Medal of Honor out the door too quick, held back press copies until today as they needed to issue a huge patch at launch.

That is just fucking ridiculous. No wonder the game will have a shitty Day One, no-one has seen any reviews yet. Nice way to stall your hype.

Huge fuckup by EA on this one, obviously felt that if they pushed back release by 2 weeks consumers would hold onto their money with BLOPS2 only out a fortnight later.
Dude, that's like a knock-off of what Codemasters did with F1 2012. It was so fucking obvious when they were averaging a patch and a half a week to fix shit that should've been fixed pre-launch. Only difference is that F1 is actually a real-world license while MoH is just an IP. An IP, it seems, they're intent on running into the ground.

Is that PC only or a console patch list too? Is that MoH a full game or just some multiplayer or FTP game?

Lay Your Ghosts To Rest is the suite that pulled me into that wide range of homages, stuff like 80's Slayer and Metallica alongside King Crimson and mixed into the newer stuff like Opeth, Djent, Mathcore, etc.

Dude, that's like a knock-off of what Codemasters did with F1 2012. It was so fucking obvious when they were averaging a patch and a half a week to fix shit that should've been fixed pre-launch. Only difference is that F1 is actually a real-world license while MoH is just an IP. An IP, it seems, they're intent on running into the ground.

Is that PC only or a console patch list too? Is that MoH a full game or just some multiplayer or FTP game?

Full campaign and MP. Stuck in a bad spot as it sounds like the MP is unique enough if you fiddle with the modes but they obviously default to trying to appeal to the COD crowd with the hindrance of not being COD.

SP actually sounds like a perfect rent for the night. Like a Summer movie kind of thing. Almost the same running time too, about 4 hours by the sounds of it.

Pity since Danger Close seem like they could make a genuinely great single player FPS if they weren't forced into 2 year dev cycles of trying to take a chunk out of COD.

Hard to fault it really. Have been playing the shit out of it lately, along with the new Danza album which is also awesomesauce.

Also you need to hit up Twitter Fapp, so I can tweet you links of this stuff to find out if I am just crazy.

http://twitter.com/OBEOrganic/status/260617045958344705/photo/1

Looks like the closure is between Springfield Lakes and Redbank Plains, so I'll be OK to get home. I wonder if I should attend the community meeting.

Hopefully the traffic isn't straight up awful.

Shit man sorry, I should have given you a heads up, we've been chasing fires all day at the paper. Driving into Ipswich along the Cunningham was like a wall of smoke. It was crazy.

Seems like the firies have it mostly under control. There were more than 50 units at the Redbank fires today.

This is one of the more mental photos from last night. Note the Springfield Masters in the front

598859_251387441650916_2129745825_n.jpg

They had to evacuate Staines Memorial College because of the smoke too.

Just to plug the paper I think this is the latest http://www.qt.com.au/news/centenary-highway-will-close-due-to-smoke-hazard-f/1593306/?ref=hs

Shit man sorry, I should have given you a heads up, we've been chasing fires all day at the paper. Driving into Ipswich along the Cunningham was like a wall of smoke. It was crazy.

Seems like the firies have it mostly under control. There were more than 50 units at the Redbank fires today.

This is one of the more mental photos from last night. Note the Springfield Masters in the front

598859_251387441650916_2129745825_n.jpg

They had to evacuate Staines Memorial College because of the smoke too.

Just to plug the paper I think this is the latest http://www.qt.com.au/news/centenary-highway-will-close-due-to-smoke-hazard-f/1593306/?ref=hs

That looks pretty nuts.

Well, Opiate could be included if you want it to be. Along with salival which had a few covers, new songs and a reworking of pushit.

Man, I haven't listened to Pushit live in forever. I love that damn song.
I do still feel a bit burnt with Tool after I saw them at a BDO and then their side concert was almost exactly the same. But of a bummer. Will still buy their next album day one though

That looks pretty nuts.

I think the night made it seem worse than it was. No houses or anything so far. Springfield is pretty scrubby (it's a weird developing city) and there is a fair bit of bushland between there and Logan.

Hey, that Grave band are pretty cool.

Also I've been to the Gold Coast. No real interest in going back at all. Pretty eh all round. Sunshine was nice, aside from the fucking humidity.

I've got to start buying cider for these depressed as fuck nights

that's probably a great idea

I recommend have a big glass of water and going to bed with a good book instead. You will feel much more refreshed in the morning.

Jintor

My idea of a good book is Crimes Against Humanity by Geoffrey Robertson

or maybe the US technical report into Hiroshima and Nagasaki

those are seriously the things that I am reading at the moment.

fuck everything.

Jintor

Bed, is like, an hour of staring at the ceiling before my brain shuts off

when i'm staring at the ceiling, my brain's in fucking overdrive

it's the worst. it's thinking about shit i can actively suppress during the day because i have to think about other shit. When you're waiting for sleep? not so much.

God, I wish I was drunk.

I finally got sbs to work on my tv ;.; This is the happiest moment of my life. After channel surfing and seeing an ad for beauty and the geek in which one 'geek' said to another "I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you!", I don't think I'll ever go back (not that I watched much tv in the first place, but now there's so much to watch!) Japanese and Korean news er'y day, aww yiss.

My idea of a good book is Crimes Against Humanity by Geoffrey Robertson

or maybe the US technical report into Hiroshima and Nagasaki

those are seriously the things that I am reading at the moment.

fuck everything.

No dude, this is really interesting!! And its learning stuff. I think everyone is secretly morbidly curious about crime stuff / nuclear stuff anyway :p

oh, speaking of which, does anyone have any good info on the radiation situation in the fukushima prefecture? I've been short listed for a study tour there (don't know yet but fingers crossed!) but I'm kind of worried. I don't think an early death would be worth the experience really.

Chuck the earbuds in and listen to some Idle Thumbs or some other podcast.
Put on some comfortable TV show you have seen a million times.
Go for a run a few hours before you go to bed.
Drag yourself out of bed in the morning much much earlier than your body wants to, so that you will be exhausted at night.

A few of my remedies over the years before getting a full time job and being dead tired at 7pm every night.

Jintor

well, i want that giant ass hiroshima book that i saw at kino a while back. This is just the actual technical report from project gutenberg.

Deeku

Been playing Red Dead Redemption recently thanks to ps+, realllly enjoying it. Dat part where you first get to Mexico and you're riding in the thunderstorm was whooa:eek:

oh, speaking of which, does anyone have any good info on the radiation situation in the fukushima prefecture? I've been short listed for a study tour there (don't know yet but fingers crossed!) but I'm kind of worried. I don't think an early death would be worth the experience really.
Like, you'll be staying in Fukushima? I dunnno, even if it was "safe", I wouldn't risk it. I think a significant amount of people are still not allowed back to their homes....

Japanese and Korean news er'y day, aww yiss.
i still record it everyday, though I kinda just watch it for the happy news thing at the end...and the weather lol!

Bed, is like, an hour of staring at the ceiling before my brain shuts off
Listen to podcasts instead!

im posting from my nexus7 using an app called splashtop. its pretty cool. im fairly sure this was the app on reddit the other day so you can play games from anywhere in your house. i have not tried yet

well, i want that giant ass hiroshima book that i saw at kino a while back. This is just the actual technical report from project gutenberg.
You mean This giant ass hiroshima book?
crappy webcam is crappy.

Like, you'll be staying in Fukushima? I dunnno, even if it was "safe", I wouldn't risk it. I think a significant amount of people are still not allowed back to their homes....
Yeah, four days I think, but only into relocation areas. Its funded by the Japanese government, so I'd like to hope its safe, but its still kinda bothering me. But I won't be able to visit Japan for a while otherwise. どうすればいいかなー

i still record it everyday, though I kinda just watch it for the happy news thing at the end...and the weather lol!

Listen to podcasts instead!

Yeah, nhk usually has a lot of political stuff I don't care about, but the social issues they discuss are cool. I was watching one yesterday about how Japan is implementing an anti-suicide education program for middle schoolers called "生きるの大切さ”. I'm glad they're finally acknowledging it as an issue, at least.

Yar, there are some good ones in Japanese too~

Deeku

Yeah, four days I think, but only into relocation areas. Its funded by the Japanese government, so I'd like to hope its safe, but its still kinda bothering me. But I won't be able to visit Japan for a while otherwise. どうすればいいかなー
Hmmm, still. Realllly tough call! I remember reading this a few days ago. It only talks about one district, but it's kinda worrying.

Yeah, nhk usually has a lot of political stuff I don't care about, but the social issues they discuss are cool. I was watching one yesterday about how Japan is implementing an anti-suicide education program for middle schoolers called "生きるの大切さ”. I'm glad they're finally acknowledging it as an issue, at least.
I will sometimes sit through the political talk if they go into super detail with their graphs, whiteboards and studio props lol. Social stuff is v interesting yeah.

Yar, there are some good ones in Japanese too~
Recommend some! All the popular ones on itunes are like comedy which is not really what I want.

I recommend The Lifestyle Museum. It's like weekly short interviews with people in music/art/design etc. Short-ish and sweet! And there's a huuuuuuge backlog of stuff to listen to!

Gazunta

Xcom via Splashtop is very much a 'any port in a storm' solution. Then again your mileage may vary since I use it on my OG iPad and it should work better using a new iPad.

And God DAMN the new Giana Sisters is European. It's just DRIPPING with it's Europeaness. Yes I just made a new word.

Really liking it so far.

Hmmm, still. Realllly tough call! I remember reading this a few days ago. It only talks about one district, but it's kinda worrying.

I will sometimes sit through the political talk if they go into super detail with their graphs, whiteboards and studio props lol.

Recommend some! All the popular ones on itunes are like comedy which is not really what I want.

Yeah :s but after googling it, it seems that living there for a year is the equivalent radiation of three cat scans. Eating the food is probably an issue though.

I sometimes listen to 池袋なう, which is cool. Sometimes there are big chunks I don't understand, but its still nice to listen to anyway :p

EDIT: I'll download some episodes of the one you mentioned ^^

Jintor

I went to sleep. Read two books, listened to some Thumbs, turned it off and tried to sleep. It didn't work. I feel terrible. I feel terrible for feeling terrible and bitching about it, too. So there's that. Fuck this shit.

I'm going to go play videogames until my fucking brain explodes.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The new iMac should be fun to pull apart. In reality it probably hasn't changed at all, a few screens and pop off the screen. Ta-da!

The iPad mini looks rather bad. Way too expensive, the nexus 7 has more PPI than the mini, I thought apple loved that shit?

iPad 4.. Didn't we get the iPad 3 like 6 months ago? Man that's a quick upgrade, Unless my mind is playing tricks on me. Apple usually don't go that fast with upgrades, it's always been yearly. I have to wonder what made them jump ahead and throw out a new one.

Glad I got the air over the retina 13". That's a little too pricey for me and there hasn't been a single moment when i've thought, I really wish I had a retina display.

Shan, you'd probably be exposed to more radiation on the flight there and back. I heard there was a food festival recently with heaps of food from Fukushima declaring it was all safe to eat.

If it's only for a few days I don't see the harm, but I also eat stick meat in foreign countries after saying "what's the worst that could happen?" (for reference: the worst was pretty damn bad).

Clipper

Another reminder to SydGAF people, let us know if you can make the meetups. All three have enough people interested so that they will all go ahead. The only venue request we have so far is "SOMEWHERE WITH LOTS OF ALCOHOL" so that'll be fun ;).

I went to sleep. Read two books, listened to some Thumbs, turned it off and tried to sleep. It didn't work. I feel terrible. I feel terrible for feeling terrible and bitching about it, too. So there's that. Fuck this shit.

I'm going to go play videogames until my fucking brain explodes.
You don't turn off the podcast!

I think the night made it seem worse than it was. No houses or anything so far. Springfield is pretty scrubby (it's a weird developing city) and there is a fair bit of bushland between there and Logan.

Yeah it's got a long way to go before Logan.

Hey, that Grave band are pretty cool.

Also I've been to the Gold Coast. No real interest in going back at all. Pretty eh all round. Sunshine was nice, aside from the fucking humidity.

I recommend have a big glass of water and going to bed with a good book instead. You will feel much more refreshed in the morning.

The Gold Coast is great if you like the beach (surfing ) etc. if not its very average.

Jintor

Well, I went to sleep around 4am or so I guess and I think I hit that weird zone where you've got just enough sleep to still be active but not enough sleep to be entirely there. I feel like I'm lightly tethered to my body, but I'm not actually feeling all that tired in my brain... just in my limbs.

Not truly tired until you feel the floor swaying under your feet while you stand.

But seriously, look up some meditation techniques, get a white noise machine and make sure you just use your bedroom for sleeping.

I just replayed Super Mario 3D Land (going for a 100% run with M/L/golden flags) for an hour and a half and I have to say that it is such a better game than NSMB2, it isn't even funny. The music, the level design, the implementation of the 3D effect and the interface features are all so much better.

Agreed. I really should go back and do the flagpoles. Played about an hour of nsmb2 And haven't played it since.

Shaneus

Oh guys, re: Video Ezy online:

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your email.

At this point in time we currently do not offer this service to make a purchase online and pick up the item at your local Video Ezy store. I will be passing this on as feedback to the management team.

If you make a purchase for this item online we will require ordering it from the supplier as it is currently not in stock. It has an estimated ship date of 7-10 days after the order is placed. We estimate the once the item is despatched it can take between 3-10 working days.

Please contact us at your convenience should you have any further queries.

Kind Regards,

Miguel
Customer Service Executive

enquiries@videoezy.com.au |Fax. +613 9495 6255 | Web www.videoezy.com.au
Also, note the Melbourne-based fax number. Indicates that even though they're *owned* by the company that owns WowHD etc., at least their office is based here. So I'd say it's damn likely that everything is probably local and gets shipped from here, too. But we won't know until our orders come in.

Yug

Long as you aren't from the same team that brought us Oz Comic Con, I think most shall be happy.

Good to know it's the same company as US PAX. Is there much local representation to figure out those on the ground things only locals know?

Nope, the event company behind PAX is called ReedPOP - they run NY Comic Con, Star Wars Celebration, PAX East / Prime, and now PAX Aus!

There is a local team, with myself representing a lot of the local Aussie show content.

question: why are you all buying crazy expensive tickets for something that has 0 information so far.

for all we know it could be choc demoing rlans latest game and thats it...

Damn ... if we can't demo that game, we're REALLY screwed.

I'm going because I get to hang out with people I haven't seen in ages and meet new friends. Whatever's in the show is immaterial :)

THIS. Seriously, this is the attitude I love, and what makes the PAX shows in the States really work. I want more of this. You guys bring the community and the social, we'll make sure the show is amazing and accomodates that.

24 god damn mother fucking iPad models, that's the mini + the new one.

Go and get fucked.

I'm a tad surprised they updated the new iPad so soon.

Oh guys, re: Video Ezy online:

Also, note the Melbourne-based fax number. Indicates that even though they're *owned* by the company that owns WowHD etc., at least their office is based here. So I'd say it's damn likely that everything is probably local and gets shipped from here, too. But we won't know until our orders come in.

If there email response time is anything to go by they should be good. I got a reply to my shipping question in a little over 2 hours.

24 god damn mother fucking iPad models, that's the mini + the new one.

Go and get fucked.

Why is the mini so damn expensive? If you buy that over the Nexus you're paying extra money simply for the name. And already announcing 4? What the shit Apple?

Edit:
Nope, the event company behind PAX is called ReedPOP - they run NY Comic Con, Star Wars Celebration, PAX East / Prime, and now PAX Aus!

There is a local team, with myself representing a lot of the local Aussie show content.

Damn ... if we can't demo that game, we're REALLY screwed.

THIS. Seriously, this is the attitude I love, and what makes the PAX shows in the States really work. I want more of this. You guys bring the community and the social, we'll make sure the show is amazing and accomodates that.
Can AusGAF have a booth?

Deeku

Well, I went to sleep around 4am or so I guess and I think I hit that weird zone where you've got just enough sleep to still be active but not enough sleep to be entirely there. I feel like I'm lightly tethered to my body, but I'm not actually feeling all that tired in my brain... just in my limbs.
Ugh, worst feeling! You should probably fix this soon, what with exams coming up n stuff:/

Kirby102

I'm a tad surprised they updated the new iPad so soon.

Can't believe they're pushing it as the 4th gen iPad, what will come of it come March next year? :S So much disgust and so much confusion if I should pick one up now, or wait it out again... 6mth refresh time... bah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom