• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone get a copy of the tweets that are linked in the GAF thread for that journalistic thing? The woman mentioned in it has now set her Twitter feed to private.... bahahahaha. Like someone said in the thread, Streisand effect in full... effect.

I very much enjoy it when you come onto a story a little late and get to read your thoughts as you sift through the pages of revelations.

We should hang out more!

Also this is still the point of most anger for me

Lauren Wainwright ‏@atheistium

@GamerGuides I've got no issue with the actual idea and content just the libelous comments about me were unfair and unjust.

Also our giflord has arrived

I feel the same way about "pieces" as JASE does about BBQ.
I feel the same way about pieces as I feel about BBQ. But I think that has more to do with work than it does anything else. Somehow 'piece' has found its way into our companies vernacular and gets added, suffix-like to any project.

"How are we going with the recruitment piece?"

"Once the recruitment piece comes in we'll be able to move forward with the turnover piece."

Blach. Stop it you bunch of morons. Use English words more properlike with gooderer word choice stuff.

Articles? Pieces is correct too, I just have an irrational dislike for it.
Nonono! It's not irrational. Don't waver. Stay fast and stay true, my friend!

wait, journalist parody sites are suddenly cool now? Fuck. FUCK.
You have become passé.

Rezbit

What, so in the last hour the Swans did some retarded trade. Got rid of 3 players for pick number 47 and 66 :|

Sucks to see Dennis-Lane go, love a good hyphenator.

Rezbit

Thanks for Campbell Heath!

Would have been good to keep around as a potential backup defender, but I can see why he wanted to go elsewhere, as Alex Johnson is the heir-apparent to Richards (and is just a fucking weapon defender) and he'd be short of opportunities. Needless to say he'll probably be one of Port's first choice defenders, especially losing such quality of Chaplin.....lol okay I couldn't keep a straight face saying that.

Would have been good to keep around as a potential backup defender, but I can see why he wanted to go elsewhere, as Alex Johnson is the heir-apparent to Richards (and is just a fucking weapon defender) and he'd be short of opportunities. Needless to say he'll probably be one of Port's first choice defenders, especially losing such quality of Chaplin.....lol okay I couldn't keep a straight face saying that.

Yeah Chaplin had cooled off over the last 3 years :(
He will trot straight into his spot, still young so he could be a great pickup for what, pick 88 instead of pick 72?

We have made some good moves this week, certainly not as painful as the free agency week.

Gazunta

There isn't a dedicated "Onion" of gaming, is there? I was thinking of making one. Day Zero Patch or something equally annoying.

I don't know how to get more ridiculous right now :(

I'll make some Brendan Brewer comics for it!

Oh shit, I have a suggestion for a game for you to do that I was reminded of from your latest comic: Life & Death by Software Toolworks. It's just obscure enough that it might just work!

Also, WTF I just looked at how cheap your comic is (the first BtC) and think I want to buy. Any chance you could do a double-pack and maybe throw in a Gazunta-style drawing of Frankin Fizzlybear inside one of the covers? I'd pay good money. VICTORIAN money.

Paypal me $10 and a mailing address and you got yourself a deal :p The regular books are shipped out of the states, while signed / sketched ones are sent from me, so it's way quicker :)

Life & Death is a great suggestion! I'll add it to the list!

wait, journalist parody sites are suddenly cool now? Fuck. FUCK.

We were cool before cool was cool.

Rezbit

Yeah Chaplin had cooled off over the last 3 years :(
He will trot straight into his spot, still young so he could be a great pickup for what, pick 88 instead of pick 72?

We have made some good moves this week, certainly not as painful as the free agency week.

Yeah I don't think any club really "lost" this trade period (bar Adelaide lol, they're about to get reamed), remains to be seen if the Demons pick ups will be worth it, but they've still got shitloads of draft picks/young players it doesn't matter. Swans were essentially just making room on their list I think.

Paypal me $10 and a mailing address and you got yourself a deal :p The regular books are shipped out of the states, while signed / sketched ones are sent from me, so it's way quicker :)

Well now I need to go back and have a look at your store tonight. Shipping fees always freeze my fingertips while viewing the shopping cart.

Also what fashion of penus would be nice sketched.

teekun

It was just pages and pages of focus on Lauren Wainwright, and how many ways they could find to destroy her. Sure, she did something wrong, but like that John Walker article pointed out, she isn't the real issue here.

I guess 'witch hunt' wasn't the right term, considering she was a direct player in this whole thing. It just seems fucked to me to be focusing so hard on ruining a single person's life.

It was just pages and pages of focus on Lauren Wainwright, and how many ways they could find to destroy her. Sure, she did something wrong, but like that John Walker article pointed out, she isn't the real issue here.

I guess 'witch hunt' wasn't the right term, considering she was a direct player in this whole thing.

Seemed more like people investigating what the issue was dealing with. Considering people have been saying no legal threats had been made even with her using of legal language such as libel in her tweets.

I don't recall reading much about destroying her?

teekun

Seemed more like people investigating what the issue was dealing with. Considering people have been saying no legal threats had been made even with her using of legal language such as libel in her tweets.

I don't recall reading much about destroying her?

Well isn't the result of the investigative work effectively destroying her career in games journalism?

Of course, if integrity is the goal here, maybe that's how it should be.

I guess what I see here is a lot of people focusing on the actions of one person, when the problem is the actions of many people. Sure you can take one person apart because of what they've done (and she has very clearly done something wrong) but that's not solving anything.

midonnay

Yeah I don't think any club really "lost" this trade period (bar Adelaide lol, they're about to get reamed), remains to be seen if the Demons pick ups will be worth it, but they've still got shitloads of draft picks/young players it doesn't matter. Swans were essentially just making room on their list I think.

west coast did pretty bad

pick 17 for Wellingham

Koby stevens for pick in the 40s

Quentin lynch for compensation pick in the 60s (considering dawes got a pick in the 20s)

ps: bwahahaha we got cale morton.

for pick 88, melbourne really screwed up in that draft. I think he was pick 5

edit: pick 4 2007 draft.

Well isn't the result of the investigative work effectively destroying her career in games journalism?

Of course, if integrity is the goal here, maybe that's how it should be.

I guess what I see here is a lot of people focusing on the actions of one person, when the problem is the actions of many people. Sure you can take one person apart because of what they've done (and she has very clearly done something wrong) but that's not solving anything.

So the answer is to look at the industry as a whole rather than why this issue has arisen in this specific case? How are you meant to change things without looking at specific cases instead of making a general, sweeping statement on the game journalism industry? That makes no sense.

Her career is hinging more on how she reacted to the questioning of her opinion on the event hashtagging and her action to remedy the situation. The investigative work revealed that she has written articles based on a company that she has done work for in the past, although the work itself does NOT make her a shill or conflicted. The issue is that she didn't state the connection to the publications involved.

How do we solve anything if we don't bother to discuss these connections that could lead to people who don't know her personally thinking that she isn't being 100% truthful in articles? The biggest problem gaming journalism faces is that everyone thinks they are fucking terrible, you won't turn around that perception if these quirky instances aren't explained, which makes it annoying that she hasn't just directly replied to the original article.

Her employers had already come out protecting her and sounding off against Eurogamer and the writer.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.

pick 17 for Wellingham

Quentin lynch for compensation pick in the 60s (considering dawes got a pick in the 20s)

We seemingly lost a lot of young guys.

midonnay

huge mistake in hindsight to play Tom Swift rather than Koby stevens....

now he's quit to become a doctor and koby is off to the bulldogs for a steal.

Incentive for Cale I guess.

edit: oh we got Jamie cripps too.....not bad. He has alot of speed apparently. Maybe a good swap for stevens who is a slow inside mid (and we have them in bundles already)

teekun

So the answer is to look at the industry as a whole rather than why this issue has arisen in this specific case? How are you meant to change things without looking at specific cases instead of making a general, sweeping statement on the game journalism industry? That makes no sense.

Her career is hinging more on how she reacted to the questioning of her opinion on the event hashtagging and her action to remedy the situation. The investigative work revealed that she has written articles based on a company that she has done work for in the past, although the work itself does NOT make her a shill or conflicted. The issue is that she didn't state the connection to the publications involved.

How do we solve anything if we don't bother to discuss these connections that could lead to people who don't know her personally thinking that she isn't being 100% truthful in articles? The biggest problem gaming journalism faces is that everyone thinks they are fucking terrible, you won't turn around that perception if these quirky instances aren't explained, which makes it annoying that she hasn't just directly replied to the original article.

Oh I totally agree with you there. The fact that she didn't just write a response is what has made this such a mess. Bringing legal threats into this whole thing was atrocious, considering she's the one who had done wrong.

At the time I wrote my initial reaction I had just read a half a page of "maybe she's just a big Tomb Raider fan" "or is she?" posts going back and forth to no end at all. I think the specific case is important, but not to the extent that people should be hunting down accounts she's held on any place on the internet just in order to harass her (though there's no evidence that GAF is doing that, just that it is being done)

At the time I wrote my initial reaction I had just read a half a page of "maybe she's just a big Tomb Raider fan" "or is she?" posts going back and forth to no end at all. I think the specific case is important, but not to the extent that people should be hunting down accounts she's held on any place on the internet just in order to harass her (though there's no evidence that GAF is doing that, just that it is being done)

I fully expect some segment of the internet is indeed abusing her, thankfully NeoGAF has lost that blood thirsty edge that reared its head a few months back, her Steam profile is evidence enough of that. EDIT: Seems even 4Chan are coming down on that kind of thing thankfully.

I just feel that once you put something up publically on the internet you should accept that you will be held to that word. If you lie on the internet you might be called out for it. If you post racist stuff on your public Facebook account you better believe your employer will make it very hard for you to stay in your current job if they wish for. If you withhold information from future employers you will probably have to explain why you did such a thing, along with why it should be seen as acceptable.

This blew up because of a trail of information that was easily discovered by nothing more than using Google Search, just simple fact checking, like a journalist should do themselves. The SquareEnix connection just came from her statements and tweets to and from.

As John Walker has said, it isn't the time to say, "oh well, games journalism". Rather than attack her though, everyone should continue to examine why her only responses to the incredibly damaging proceedings that have resulted from her reaction to the article have come about. As a young person in the field she has come into this situation, without breaking down why it happened to her it will be hard to break the environment that the journalist exist in.

The amount of attention it has gotten will hopefully lead to other journalists, as well as future journalists, paying more attention to factors that could result in public confidence being shaken in them.

teekun

Totally agree with you there, and it's good to see that even 4chan is pushing back against the personal attacks.

I really do hope something like this can help re-shape games journalism as a whole towards something with more integrity than a fanzine.

legend166

Not 100% sure what the Swans are doing, but I'm sure we've got a plan. We've only got 32 on the list now, and the minimum is 38, so we're going to be picking up a few in the draft and/or the free agency for the delisted guys.

pick 17 for Wellingham

You got a pick in the 40's for someone who has barely played. We got rid of Broughton for pick 37!

midonnay

thats because Broughton slept with Ross Lyon's wife or something

(well he must have... fantasy football coaches were crying all year)

but stevens has been on the cusp for awhile...... he came into the club with osteitis pubis so we had to put him in cotton wool abit.

Was apparently told he'd be playing WAFL most of the year so in a way i guess it's good we got something for him now rather than him stagnate for a year and us get even less next year.

Think Collingwood were the big winners over the tade period just not sure how it's all fit under the cap.

AssCreed 3 shipping out from Mighty Ape on Monday, might even arrive on Tuesday. Super tempting!

Not shocked that the NRL wouldnt want to be associated with a Raper

Rezbit

Was apparently told he'd be playing WAFL most of the year so in a way i guess it's good we got something for him now rather than him stagnate for a year and us get even less next year.

Think Collingwood were the big winners over the tade period just not sure how it's all fit under the cap.

Because Eddie!

I was trying to get us off terrible sport crap!

Hey man, people talk about politics, and recently games journalism which I'm sure some people don't care about. It's a community thread about a wide variety of topics, if you don't like hearing about sport for the 20 posts we used, then you can GIT OUT. Or dealwithit.gif.

Kritz

Banned
xncoj.png

Now you can judge people's tastes in video games with INCREASED ACCURACY. Look at that bar graph! Look at it!

... also review games.

Kritz

Banned
I'm just glad that PENUSMONKEY has correctly put Journey to #1 on the list for at least one of the GOTY ranking results.

Until I implement an actual top 10 list users can create from the games they have rated.

EDIT:

There is also a search feature for individual games. You can also just go to the main GOTY ranking area to pick from games that have already been voted up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom