• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1411&products_id=21244

or

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1411&products_id=21800

Is the $100 premium worth it if I'm looking to upgrade it in 2-3 years?

Also yes, I really am too lazy to build my own PC.
Better case, PSU and motherboard in the more expensive one. I'd go for that one between the two. PCCG will do a custom build for you too if you'd rather choose your parts but don't want to build it: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1418&products_id=20697

hamchan

Better case, PSU and motherboard in the more expensive one. I'd go for that one between the two. PCCG will do a custom build for you too if you'd rather choose your parts but don't want to build it: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1418&products_id=20697

Thanks Fred.

System 1 is more value for money, but surely you can get an i7 in the same price range?

An i7 is supposed to be pointless over the i5 if the main aim is gaming, so i hear.

I can't not buy this shirt

fa0414cc-9649-4985-8eb5-1877ca0c10d1.png

Kritz

Banned
I... yeah.

So my friend created a python script to generate a bunch of bunk reviews and a bunch of bunk users.

I deleted all his reviews.

Then I deleted all his users.

Except I had the wrong table selected.

So, all the reviews are gone.

So, fuck the goty site.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I... yeah.

So my friend created a python script to generate a bunch of bunk reviews and a bunch of bunk users.

I deleted all his reviews.

Then I deleted all his users.

Except I had the wrong table selected.

So, all the reviews are gone.

So, fuck the goty site.
The lesson is: back your shit up! Use version control!

Time to start including cleansing of input and checksums and whatnot into your code. Maybe log IPs too.

And also telling your friends they're dicks (and asking how they'd get around any security measures you can think of so you can prevent that).

Kritz

Banned
The lesson is: back your shit up! Use version control!

It wouldn't have been an issue if I had control over the server. As it is I unfortunately can't automate backups or access the actual directory of the mysql files.

Unfortunately Kritz.net has historically not been a site where I'd need anything more than 3-4 backups a year.

I don't know at this point if I'll just nuke the site until next year or just keep pimping it every few weeks and hope that some people redo their lists. Maybe I'll keep looking into faster ways to knock out ratings. I dunno.

I'm annoyed at my friend for attacking the site in the first place, when I made it clear I didn't want him to and it wouldn't be a good use of time to implement a captcha system because it would annoy legitimate users.

I guess deleting an entire table annoys users even more though.

EDIT: My input is being cleaned 100%. I tested on SQL injections and a bunch of other nasty stuff myself. What he did was just automate creation of accounts and reviews. I could log IPs, but that's not much of a barrier. A recaptcha is.

"friend", correct.

What host are you using Kritz? I'm using DreamHost, not high on the chain of quality providers, and I have SSH and from access and have a scheduled job backing up mySQL and website files nightly/weekly/etc.

As Omi says, lessons learned etc. When it was more 'ready' and less 'beta' I'm sure a bunch of us were going to use it... stats!

Also, just use Captchas. People will get over it.

Also also, Friday Night Dinner continues to be great.

Jintor

Use Panthur!

I... actually have no idea about whether it's good or not because I don't know enough about tech.

But I really like it and their support is great!

Kritz

Banned
I'm hosting it from a guy who used to run a bunch of Halo fansites back in the day. The upside is that it's free, the downside is that I'm out of contact with him, have no ssh privileges, and the server's slow as balls at the best of times.

I guess it isn't a huge loss because there were only like five people who actually voted.

I'm hosting it from a guy who used to run a bunch of Halo fansites back in the day. The upside is that it's free, the downside is that I'm out of contact with him, have no ssh privileges, and the server's slow as balls at the best of times.

I guess it isn't a huge loss because there were only like five people who actually voted.

WELL SEE IF I EVER BOTHER TO VOTE WHILE WATCHING NEW HALF IN THE BAG IN THE BACKGROUND EVER AGAIN THEN BUDDY GUY

Kritz

Banned
WELL SEE IF I EVER BOTHER TO VOTE WHILE WATCHING NEW HALF IN THE BAG IN THE BACKGROUND EVER AGAIN THEN BUDDY GUY

oh huh

did they go to a weekly format? Didn't they only just put out the Dredd / Looper review? Before the season finale updates were usually fortnightly.

EDIT: ... did they just use the combat riff from borderlands immediately before the start of the sinister review?

They did a special Halloween episode. Still haven't played Borderlands but I knew they would pull some shit so I didn't run it fullscreen while paying full attention to avoid shitting my pants and not being able to sleep tonight, so I didn't notice some of the nuances in the review.

Also it has been 3 weeks since the Dredd/Looper review!

Golden Joystick results:

Action/adventure - Batman Arkham City (beat ACR and UC3)

RTS - Civilization 5

Mobile - Angry Birds Space

D/L game - Minecraft (beat Journey and Walking dead)

Fighting game - Mortal Kombat (beat SC5 and Naruto)

Shooter - Battlefield 3 (beat MW3 and MP3)

MMO - World of Tanks (beat LoL and SWTOR)

Handheld - UC: Golden Abyss (beat Mario Kart 7 and SM 3D land)

Top gaming moment - Skyrim, climbing the throat of the world.

One to watch - GTA 5 (beat AC3 and TESO)

Best DLC - Portal 2 (beat Dawnguard and Arkham city)

RPG - Skyrim (beat Diablo 3 and ME3)

Sports - Fifa12 (beat SSX and PES12)

Browser/Flash - Slender (beat Draw Something)

Racing - Forza 4 (beat NFS run and Twisted Metal)

Outstanding contribution to video games - EA sports and Fifa. (lol wtf?)

Ultimate game (Goty) - SKYRIM!!! (beat BF3 and Diablo 3)

dinopoke

Haha, it's not about the quality. The games themselves don't fit in their respective categories. Civ (I noticed you fixed it to Civ V:G&K in the thread) is a turn based game. World of Tanks is a round based deathmatch game (same kinda goes for LoL). And Slender, while developed in Unity, is a actually downloadable game. I'm wondering if any of the judges actually played the games. >_>

Ydahs

This last fortnight has been horrid. Uni crunch time :/

At one point I had slept only two hours in nearly 60 hours. Literally was at Uni from 10am to 10pm, got home at 11pm, worked on project until 10am, back to Uni until 8pm...

Assignments are all done now. Time to catch up on all those missed lectures.

btw, what happened to RandomVince? Saw his name greyed out earlier today.

WTKJJ-566JC-WXJT3-BTJT3-6BTBH
shift code for golden keys
got 3 hours left

also i think ill play dayz today
whos in for an ausgaf adventure
this dayz commander thing seems to be awesome if it works

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If you're going to install windows 8, It will ask you for an account to bind it all to.

I suggest you pick the one you use xbox live with, since most of the games seem to use it via metro, Like jetpack joyride.

I tried to use my google account in the hopes that messaging would work with google talk, it does not :(

Eh, I bought the Nexus 7 specifically because 10" tabs are too big unless you use them exclusively on flat surfaces like tables or resting on your knees on a couch. 7" tabs are much more portable and so to me much more usable. Perfect size, really. I thought the size was horrible when they (as in 7" tablets) first came out.

midonnay

Eh, I bought the Nexus 7 specifically because 10" tabs are too big unless you use them exclusively on flat surfaces like tables or resting on your knees on a couch. 7" tabs are much more portable and so to me much more usable. Perfect size, really. I thought the size was horrible when they (as in 7" tablets) first came out.

indoor tablet and outdoor tablet :D

I was leaning towards an Ipad 4 (retina screen) or a galaxy note 10.1 (wacom digitiser)

but might take the nexus if its priced right.

I have an HP TouchPad running ICS and an iPad 3 in the house, and still prefer the Nexus 7. However, I've always leaned to more portable devices. I took a 12" laptop at work while everyone was asking for 17" ones. Two years later, everyone's asking for a 12"...

Shaneus

bgAh8.jpg

I fucking love those guys. I donated $200 but it still feels like I'm ripping them off with all the awesome swag they've sent me.

Anyone else have difficulty taking the plunge on new bits of technology? Tablets, phones, all that sort of thing. Too many opinions, too much information, too much pressure to back the winner. Argh. Lumia 920, Surface, Nexus 10 etc.

Great article by Jim Sterling about all the journalist crap at the moment. At least some people in the industry are willing to put something up about it.

What’s more, trying to bury certain criticisms can often turn things into insults or slurs when they’re not actually insulting at all. Like those writers who insist on being called “game journalists” and not what most of them are — bloggers. Nowadays, there are gamers who use the term “blogger” or “enthusiast press” as a slur, because there are writers who try to hide from it, bury it, and not own up to reality. I say, what the fuck is wrong with being a blogger? What’s wrong with being enthusiast press? Do you guys really think most of you are above that kind of label? Oh please. You’re fans, you’re gamers, you’re no more qualified than people on NeoGAF or your own comments sections. Many of you are more akin to entertainers than journalists. You’re just lucky enough to be paid for your opinion. Don’t get me wrong, many of you work hard, work long hours, and have a lot of writing talent. You should be proud of that. You should be confident in that. If you’re the kind of person who feels insulted when you’re called a blogger or an enthusiast, you don’t come across as proud of yourself at all. You come across ashamed. You come across as needing approval for being what you’re not, rather than what you are, and then you’re just another dodgy accountant, pouring those files into that shredder.

Shaneus

Hey, will the cheapo Win8 upgrade work on my Win7 tablet OEM install? I want it on my Windpad 110W so I can get Smartglass working so I can use it with Forza Horizon.

I just spent the past two hours trying to undo the auto-renewal on my LIVE subscription on Xbox.com and holy shit this has been aggravating.

I shudder to think of what it's like for the countries that Microsoft isn't legally required to have an option on their website for you to turn off, meaning you have to phone what I can only imagine is even worse tech support.

markot

Banned
I just spent the past two hours trying to undo the auto-renewal on my LIVE subscription on Xbox.com and holy shit this has been aggravating.

I shudder to think of what it's like for the countries that Microsoft isn't legally required to have an option on their website for you to turn off, meaning you have to phone what I can only imagine is even worse tech support.

Try changing your country >_< im still stuck in the US with my live/main hotmail windows account and cant switch.. All because I wanted to buy age of empires 3 for 10 cents on gfwl, and ironing? I never played it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom