• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
maxine mckew

http://t.co/PcqOPrRc

Flawless Victory

Fatality (For this Government)

CautionAxeGrinding.jpg

Kritz

Banned
Golden Joystick results:

Action/adventure - Batman Arkham City (beat ACR and UC3)

RTS - Civilization 5

Mobile - Angry Birds Space

D/L game - Minecraft (beat Journey and Walking dead)

Fighting game - Mortal Kombat (beat SC5 and Naruto)

Shooter - Battlefield 3 (beat MW3 and MP3)

MMO - World of Tanks (beat LoL and SWTOR)

Handheld - UC: Golden Abyss (beat Mario Kart 7 and SM 3D land)

Top gaming moment - Skyrim, climbing the throat of the world.

One to watch - GTA 5 (beat AC3 and TESO)

Best DLC - Portal 2 (beat Dawnguard and Arkham city)

RPG - Skyrim (beat Diablo 3 and ME3)

Sports - Fifa12 (beat SSX and PES12)

Browser/Flash - Slender (beat Draw Something)

Racing - Forza 4 (beat NFS run and Twisted Metal)

Outstanding contribution to video games - EA sports and Fifa. (lol wtf?)

Ultimate game (Goty) - SKYRIM!!! (beat BF3 and Diablo 3)

So that's what a GOTY list voted for by morons looks like. I'm glad I have a relatively low bar of quality to surpass on Best Internet Opinions On Games.

Also, I have to ask... how did a 2011 game that had no rereleases in 2012 beat games that were released in 2012, and on top of that, also beat games that still haven't released in 2012?

Also, I have to ask... how did a 2011 game that had no rereleases in 2012 beat games that were released in 2012, and on top of that, also beat games that still haven't released in 2012?
Their period of availability was probably September 2011 - September 2012 or something. Most awards things do that.

as i tweeted it must have been a fucking shit year for DLC if portal 2 won

Last amazing DLC I can recall is Infamous 2: Festival of Blood and that was just over 12 months ago now. Funny that Dawnguard is up there as a nominee considering it was widely reported to be shit.

Kritz

Banned
Welp, there's a recaptcha on my login page now.

Won't stop anyone from manually registering accounts and then running scripts.

... physical violence, however.

Shaneus

Yes. I did it!

But I haven't tried smart glass...
Oh right, you have a Windpad 110W as well! Sweet, will have to get my CD drive etc. all going and stuff. Thing looks like Frankenstein's monster with the USB hub and keyboard and CD drive all fucking dangling off it.

Shit part is, I have to wipe the thing of the current Win8 preview, install Win7 then install Win8.

Do you know if you can do a fresh install of Win8 but only as an "upgrade" using an OEM key? If you know what I mean... technically it's a fresh install, but you use it to "upgrade" the license for the existing software.

jambo

Oh right, you have a Windpad 110W as well! Sweet, will have to get my CD drive etc. all going and stuff. Thing looks like Frankenstein's monster with the USB hub and keyboard and CD drive all fucking dangling off it.

Shit part is, I have to wipe the thing of the current Win8 preview, install Win7 then install Win8.

Do you know if you can do a fresh install of Win8 but only as an "upgrade" using an OEM key? If you know what I mean... technically it's a fresh install, but you use it to "upgrade" the license for the existing software.

I'm pretty sure that x3n05 did a fresh install using a Win8 upgrade license and the downloaded ISO

Kritz

Banned
I need to buy a birthday present for someone who likes Chess, Doctor Who, and... The Wombats. The person is my father. His birthday is tomorrow.

Suggestions?

I was thinking some good quality kitchen stuff. But the more I think about it the worse the gift idea sounds.

Kritz

Banned
Dr Who chess board.

I have considered this. I don't know if Area 52 sell them.

Also they'd be tacky as shit.

I've already bought him every chess book I can think of, a buncha chess dvds, most of the doctor who dvds / books I can find.

And he already owns a few nice chessboards.

The problem with going all out and buying as many things as possible each year is that you kind of dry up the well of new things.

I need to buy a birthday present for someone who likes Chess, Doctor Who, and... The Wombats. The person is my father. His birthday is tomorrow.

Suggestions?
Make a home made card, crayons must feature, as well as do everything with your non-preferred hand.

Does he get much time to watch Blu Rays (do you guys get Blu Rays or even DVD down there yet?) or does he enjoy a good drink or two?

Maybe tickets to some thing down there: driving or sky diving or something he might like to do that he has never thought of. Bucket list kinda shit.

Big news!

Their shipping was always very expensive.

Makes the recent window shopping of figurines more dangerous >.>

Axiom

It's not Doctor Who, but about the closest kitchen related practical bit of geekiness I can think of is the Enterprise Pizza Cutter.

dea2_enterprise_pizza_cutter_inuse.jpg

My mum loved it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Yes.

What I did was.

Buy W8 pro upgrade for $15.

Install via format, So a clean install. The key wasn't working for some reason, So you then have to run the setup from your usb/dvd of W8 within winodws (Don't boot from it), select upgrade existing system. Throw in your pro key, it works! Let it "upgrade" sweet fuck all and after 10 minutes you have an authentic W8 pro.

So you essentially install windows then upgrade that windows within windows. Yea!

Kritz

Banned
Make a home made card, crayons must feature, as well as do everything with your non-preferred hand.

Does he get much time to watch Blu Rays (do you guys get Blu Rays or even DVD down there yet?) or does he enjoy a good drink or two?

Maybe tickets to some thing down there: driving or sky diving or something he might like to do that he has never thought of. Bucket list kinda shit.

I have both a PS3 and a dedicated bluray player. He's a manager of a bottle shop so... I don't think alcohol is the right route. He's not much of a drinker anyway. Well... I could buy a six pack of Tooheys old.

... yeah I might just buy the half season of the new doctor who and some beer. Good enough. I feel bad because I got a kindle for my birthday.

IndieRoyal bundle. Currently $5 minimum.

The bundle includes:
- Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (full season) - Steam (PC)
- Home - Steam (PC), Windows, Desura
- Pathologic - Windows, Desura
- MacGuffin's Curse - Steam (PC, Mac), Windows, Mac, Desura
- EvilQuest - Windows, Desura

I have both a PS3 and a dedicated bluray player. He's a manager of a bottle shop so... I don't think alcohol is the right route. He's not much of a drinker anyway. Well... I could buy a six pack of Tooheys old.

... yeah I might just buy the half season of the new doctor who and some beer. Good enough. I feel bad because I got a kindle for my birthday.

Some Safeways have the Kindle for $48 so keep an eye out at your local! That is if he reads of course.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anybody cluey with web design, or know an affordable outlet for web design?

Long and short of it, Rocket Chainsaw needs a new front page pretty badly. We're all clueless when it comes to web design and don't really have the time to learn. So we're looking at our options.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Long and short of it, Rocket Chainsaw needs a new front page pretty badly. We're all clueless when it comes to web design and don't really have the time to learn. So we're looking at our options.

wordpress- then look for a theme and adapt that. so simple an easy to adapt through trial and error. lots of plugins make adding bits easy. almost 0 knowledge necessary to do something clean.

Edit: you might already be using it- get rid of that brown background for starters.

dishonored has finally 'clicked'. I have to go now. I only came here because there appear all of these references to Gaffers in the game reminded me Gaf existed.

order one of these and give him an IOU

http://forbiddenplanet.com/clothing/?sort=addition-date-desc&tag=doctor-who&size=60
92222.jpg.size-160_maxheight-160_square-true.jpg

Kritz

Banned

Here's a few problems I noticed with the design itself, although without anyone who can build sites the advice might be kind of useless:

1. The header is way too large, especially when most of it is unused. The logo could be moved somewhere else you'd have much more room for the site's content.

2. The timer for the flashy thing is wwaaaaaayyy too fast. Incredibly distracting. It'd probably be better to not have the thing move at all, and just have a single (randomly picked on page load?) 'top article' kind of thing. Or let the users scroll through themselves.

3. Personal preference, and I'm guilty of this too, but having the maximum width of your page's content be ~700 pixels is pretty jarring for people who fullscreen their browsers. But at that, the webpage is actually too large when you snap it in Windows on a 1080p monitor. But from experience I know making websites scale to whatever resolution the window is can be terrifying.

4. Smaller pictures, more text. Stick in a paragraph or two of writing before hitting the user with a "read more". Probably the easiest thing you can play around with, with no real experience.

Give me 2 more years experience developing websites and I'll help you out. >_> Until then I'm kind of learning by my own mistakes still.

Halloween costume time! I spent the whole afternoon working on this and I'm quite proud of the result. It was a costume for Mrs Squirrel.

Starting conditions:

D3D68F21-31B6-4EEE-B2C3-3084CAC5F3A9-170-00000005155C2F6E.jpg

After two hours of sewing, gluing and cracking a red pen over the result:

C80C61FB-04FC-4A5E-B980-40C81E07E10E-170-00000004F0D24D3C.jpg

And the final outcome:

8828E016-4B10-4162-833E-B5FB9008622B-170-00000005411E8056.jpg

348BFC82-0862-4CC8-9DBB-0FEF6825F40A-170-0000000538E14DCE.jpg

Awesome.

bomer

Anyone getting awful speeds from Steam? I usually get 1-1.8mbps, sitting at 100-200kbps.

Any advice? Tried switching servers a few time, all seem about the same.

r1chard

Well, there you go. Rang Optus to say I was switching to Internode which was going to save me around $40 on my monthly 'net + phone bill. Optus stepped up to the plate and saved me $45 on those (and I don't have to switch to VOIP and pretty much all the calls we make are free) and then an additional $10 on the mobile bill. So that worked :)

Oh, and apparently I can triple my cable speed if I get a new modem - I just have to figure how to convince them to give it to me for nothing ;-)

It's not Doctor Who, but about the closest kitchen related practical bit of geekiness I can think of is the Enterprise Pizza Cutter.

dea2_enterprise_pizza_cutter_inuse.jpg

My mum loved it.

We have one of those and I used it tonight too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom