• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

midonnay

*gets home and checks bigfooty*

Luke Shuey's elbow to the testicles downgraded to elbow to the body..... yay....

but deemed intentional......wat. 2 weeks stands.

so a tap typical of the normal jumper punch gets 2 weeks.....but sharrod wellingham who nearly destroyed another player's face gets 3 weeks....

*goes outside looking for stray pets to kick*

maladroid

I've been going off on that Sharrod decision ever since I heard about it. Kade Simpson now looks to be out closer to 6 weeks. What a system.

Lol, his name is Sharrod.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Women hey, I can feel that emotion.

You know what helps?

Beer! Or Cider. Or Scotch. Either or.

Also games. And moving out. Congrats!

Drinking hard spirits and churning through a box of cheap cigarettes in a dark room to static jazz records is the best solution to lady problems.

Speaking of lady problems, I watched Being Lara Bingle tonight.

I'm so sorry.

Omikron

Drinking hard spirits and churning through a box of cheap cigarettes in a dark room to static jazz records is the best solution to lady problems.

Speaking of lady problems, I watched Being Lara Bingle tonight.

I'm so sorry.
I gear there is a new show starting called The Shire. I think it might be up your alley.

jambo

I thought you were moved out with the gf alone already?

A few months ago I moved in with my GF, but her sister was still there. She's moving out the end of this week and then we move on the 21st.

Finally we will be living together, just the two of us!!!

Love you Vault 34, I feel refreshed with the joy of tight, polished gaming even after such little sleep. Have a shit eating grin on my face today. For what seemed like a tiny little stopover ended up being a really strong piece of work that is almost a microcosm of an experience, altering the perceived notion of how to play an Oblivion with Guns Fallout. Very much enjoyed it once the shock of having to give a shit about the moment to moment gameplay. The constant feeling of dread coupled with the pressure of a constant drain on both your body and resources served up some tense moments in the claustrophobic corridors littered with attackers. Expected that part of a mission to see why the water supply of some farmers was janky would be maybe 5 minutes long, scout the issue and report back, rather than a ~3 hour rabbithole ending in a hard decision to make.

And this is only a tiny little tiny tiny bit of the game! A lot of people wouldn't even come across it.

The rest of the game is awesome too. Just found this Vault to be drenched in the love of a team of people who are damn happy to be making videogames.

jambo

Seriously feel like a zombie today. Not enjoyable.

I woke up at 6am to drop the missus in at her work for stocktake, then drove home, laid around for 15 minutes, got up and started getting ready for work.

Zombie mode activated.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
Damm 6am? What kind of time is that? Plus its freezing!

Got the rest of the week off! Finished my freelance yesterday and unless the client comes back with a thousand changes he wants done, I'm off to enjoy teh wonderful freezing winter in bed playing Dragons Dogma!

Gonna get myself an Ouya if I have the money before they sell out. Controller looks awesome, basically a 360 controller with a touchpad built in. Hopefully it is decent build quality. For $120 it will suit me down to the ground to play my Android games and do my internet related stuff, will run Plex on it too which will be nice. Opens it up to a hell of a lot of stuff running on Android, expecting quite a few apps to take advantage of the big TV.

Plus I am too lazy to build a HTPC to play all my old emulation games. :)

Penny Arcade Kickstarter is heinous though. Can't defend it, although the $500 retweet could be a very helpful marketing tool to an up and comer.

Omikron

Gonna get myself an Ouya if I have the money before they sell out. Controller looks awesome, basically a 360 controller with a touchpad built in. Hopefully it is decent build quality. For $120 it will suit me down to the ground to play my Android games and do my internet related stuff, will run Plex on it too which will be nice. Opens it up to a hell of a lot of stuff running on Android, expecting quite a few apps to take advantage of the big TV.

Plus I am too lazy to build a HTPC to play all my old emulation games. :)

Penny Arcade Kickstarter is heinous though. Can't defend it, although the $500 retweet could be a very helpful marketing tool to an up and comer.

Don't forget $3 postage for your certificate.

Don't forget $3 postage for your certificate.

>_<

The worst one is the $300 tier for one of them to follow you on Twitter.... and block all your tweets using any of the currently used Twitter apps. FFS. Just no, just taking advantage of people.

$25,000 for a request medium sized painting. <_>

Or $1000 for 12 shirts! Oh and add another $240 for international postage. o_O

legend166

I haven't had a proper sleep (as in, go to bed, then wake up when my alarm is set) on a weekday since I got back from America. My alarm is set for 7:10am but I've been waking up at 6am for two weeks now. It's horrible.

jambo

That Penny Arcade Kickstarter is hilarious :lol

"$1 + Gabe will shout out your name as he chases a duck"

$15 + All previous rewards, Gabe will think about you during sex, and a certificate of appreciation will be mailed to you."

They aren't a fucking charity.

i-FKNNKxh-L.jpg

I'm sure it is a big elaborate joke and they will drop their prices to something more reasonable that fits the bill.

jambo

It's not a joke

Gabe said:
About eleven years ago Penny Arcade was on the brink of collapse. We had recently recovered the rights to our own work after accidentally selling them to a shady internet aggregator. The good news was that we could keep making Penny Arcade but the bad news was we had quit our jobs and we were broke. We talked about giving up and begging for our jobs back but I convinced Tycho to try something first. The Wayback Machine has a couple priceless snapshots of the day we decided to ask you for donations. Going back and reading those posts today is really amazing. For almost two years we ran this website entirely on your generosity. You paid for our rent, food, video games and in return we made PA three times a week as well as a bunch of extra content. A lot has changed in eleven years. PA has fourteen employees now, we put on two massive conventions every year, we run a worldwide charity, we produce our own video games and web show. It&#8217;s a major operation now and running it off of donations again seems impossible. Or is it?

Today we&#8217;ve launched a Kickstarter to fund Penny Arcade for one year advertising free. It is at its core a return to the concept we had eleven years ago. Back then we considered it begging but today it&#8217;s called crowd funding. I don&#8217;t want you to get the idea that Penny Arcade is any kind of trouble. Honestly if this Kickstarter doesn&#8217;t work nothing here will change. The reality is that we can continue working for advertisers but if we can, we&#8217;d rather work for you. Please take some time to check out the kickstarter page and read through all the details. There&#8217;s a lot to this idea including new projects from Tycho and I as well as some really cool rewards for backers. We&#8217;ve posted a FAQ on the Kickstarter page but please feel free to send me any questions you have about the project. This is a very big deal for us, it could mean a massive shift in the way our company works. Maybe this idea is just too crazy or maybe it isn&#8217;t. Either way I&#8217;m very curious to see how this goes.

-Gabe out

Woah it's so foggy today! I can hardly see out my window.
I haven't had a proper sleep (as in, go to bed, then wake up when my alarm is set) on a weekday since I got back from America. My alarm is set for 7:10am but I've been waking up at 6am for two weeks now. It's horrible.
I'm jealous. I set my alarm for 7, and wake how at 10. I kinda feel ready to wake up until I hear the alarm and suddenly my body feels exhausted. I don't understand;.;

My god Macbook screens are incredible. The keyboards are incredible. God damn why do you run OSX! Is it bad I'd totally buy a macbook pro secondhand to put windows on it?

A few months ago I moved in with my GF, but her sister was still there. She's moving out the end of this week and then we move on the 21st.

Finally we will be living together, just the two of us!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PchQyHIhkiM

I hope you guys get along super well while living together. I've heard of many relationships crumbling because of it. You seem to be a more hardy sort though.

Seriously feel like a zombie today. Not enjoyable.

Me too. Shit sleep + hating people + shit parents on trains = aggrivated zombie Megadrive.

hamchan

I don't know how I feel about one of the most successful webcomics on the internet doing a kickstarter. Feels like kickstarter should be for the little guys, groups that actually need crowd funding for their product to exist.

jambo

I hope you guys get along super well while living together. I've heard of many relationships crumbling because of it. You seem to be a more hardy sort though.

Her sister isn't around that much, so it has basically been us together for a few months now, still going strong. Urge to strangle each other dropping.

I don't know how I feel about one of the most successful webcomics on the internet doing a kickstarter. Feels like kickstarter should be for the little guys, groups that actually need crowd funding for their product to exist.

Exactly. Looks like penny arcade saw people getting free money and wanted in on the action. They already said they didn't need it, I'm pretty sure people aren't going to donate just so they don't get ads on the site, and so that Gabe gets free rent... Right?

Exactly. Looks like penny arcade saw people getting free money and wanted in on the action. They already said they didn't need it, I'm pretty sure people aren't going to donate just so they don't get ads on the site, and so that Gabe gets free rent... Right?

It is a little shocking with all the other ventures they use to generate money that they rely on advertising so much that they need to bring in $1 million a year to keep things going. I understand that the T-shirts and postcards will take a chunk out of that but it is as if PAX and they merchandise actually runs at a loss by the looks of it!

Rahk

Well, considering there's 35 days to go and they're only at $133k, looks like people aren't willing to donate at all.

Well, considering there's 35 days to go and they're only at $133k, looks like people aren't willing to donate at all.

D:

So, in order to keep the site ad free are they going to need $1,000,000 every year? I can't imagine they'll be able to keep the whole site ad free forever with that.

D:

So, in order to keep the site ad free are they going to need $1,000,000 every year? I can't imagine they'll be able to keep the whole site ad free forever with that.

I don't get why they didn't just implement a yearly subscription model like Giant Bomb did. Offer some premium stuff for people aside from no ads and watch the money roll in.

I don't get why they didn't just implement a yearly subscription model like Giant Bomb did. Offer some premium stuff for people aside from no ads and watch the money roll in.

Putting up a paywall on some function of the site though would result in a huge backlash, they have called out "gaming journalism" lately so for them to lock out something would be seen as quite a bullshit move (no different to their about turn on using Kickstarter themselves though).

I don't mind them Kickstarting, I just don't particularly like how they have set it up or tried to explain it.

Rahk

D:

From the FAQ:

Is this indefinite / what happens after a year / are you going to ask again?
This is for a period of 1 year. From January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013. We will run the fundraiser again, around this time next year.

Looks like they could be interested in something like that if this isn't successful.

If you don't hit your goal, could I still pay to remove ads and get a full-text RSS feed?
If we don't hit our goal, we can explore other Kickstarter projects individually if we determine there's interest. For now, this is our focus.

From the FAQ:

Is this indefinite / what happens after a year / are you going to ask again?
This is for a period of 1 year. From January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013. We will run the fundraiser again, around this time next year.

So then surely there are better ways to do this, like megadrive suggested, than to say "hey give us free money every year!". It doesn't sound like a very safe business model.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Time for old Vook to do a Kickstarter (yeah right). I'd only need like $5k to pay the bills for a year.

I remember back when I cared about new music, listening to JJJ and 4ZZZ while trawling oth.net for MP3s. It's amazing what a kid will discover if you give them no context or guidance as far as what they're "supposed" to like.

You might say I have bad, scattershot taste for having Michael Bublé, Jamiroquai, Faithless, Maroon 5, America, The Presets, Michael Jackson, Bluebottle Kiss, George Clinton, Massive Attack, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga and Los Iracundos in the same playlist. I say that you may be right, but at least I'm totally, like, free of the bonds that hold you down in the pub-rock ghetto man.

Maybe it's a conscious rejection of rap (which as a brown kid living in Queensland in the 90s and 2000s, I was meant to freaking LOVE), but I really had no rudder when it came to music and all my friends were into death metal, which all sounds the same after a while.

I've stopped consuming music wholesale and having strong opinions now, which is good seeing as my wife has a Top 40 pop palate and it would just result in fights over the car stereo. There are the occasional times this is a bit disappointing, like when I want to blast out the Zelda 25th Anniversary CD, the Ministry of Sound Chillout Sessions or the Tron Legacy soundtrack and awareness of her utter non-enjoyment of that kind of music makes me stop, but it's a small sacrifice to make.

tl;dr - Not having strong opinions on music allows me to have broad tastes and enhances my happiness. Try it sometime.

Jintor

Kickstarter is beginning to feel more and more like a way of turning gratitude, reputation or word of mouth into some kind of weird pseudo-capitalist endevour.I mean, I don't really have anything against the PA experiment other than it might not really meet Kickstarter's project requirements. If people want to donate their money, whatever. What's the baseline difference between this and them having a massive paypal tip jar?

On the other hand the end product is kind of dumb. Oh woo, I get to see the site without ads. Joy. I'm so blind to ads these days I only notice them when they're mandatory stops on video content and even then they just annoy me. The reward tiers are terrible too, but that's their prerogative.

Better to be open minded than closed minded! Still have a bunch of the mix CD's I was burning during the first year of uni. Lots of random genres and styles flowing into each other.

I don't like most of the current R&B shit though, that autotune or Pitbull shit. It shit bro.
Also most country & western aside from the amazing songwriters like Cash.

I would really love to see the PA Kickstarter fail, if only to deter other bullshit Kickstarters. But it won't.

A subscription model as suggested earlier like with Giant Bomb, which removes ads and provides some other bonus content (maybe like an extra comic every week, competitions, early PAX registration) is a much better business model than begging for money with some bullshit "rewards". $240 to ship 12 t-shirts? Get bent.

Rahk

On the other hand the end product is kind of dumb. Oh woo, I get to see the site without ads. Joy. I'm so blind to ads these days I only notice them when they're mandatory stops on video content and even then they just annoy me. The reward tiers are terrible too, but that's their prerogative.
Plus the ads on PA are unique, blend in to the site and are more likely to be of interest to the reader than typical ads.

They do elaborate though, and say it could lead to full RSS feeds and apps being created since they don't need to rely on hits. Plus it will give them time to work on other things.

I'm not going to donate, but I won't be complaining if they reach 825k to revive the podcast.

Better to be open minded than closed minded! Still have a bunch of the mix CD's I was burning during the first year of uni. Lots of random genres and styles flowing into each other.

I don't like most of the current R&B shit though, that autotune or Pitbull shit. It shit bro.
Also most country & western aside from the amazing songwriters like Cash.
Is it actually terrible or do you only think it's terrible when viewed through the lens of your own background? There are millions of people who love country music and Taio Cruz. If they were objectively terrible music, nobody would like it at all.

I often wonder if music weren't such a shared, social experience (say all music took place inside your own head), what would people's tastes gravitate toward naturally? As it is, people tend to gravitate toward specific musical tropes based on music their peer groups approved of as teenagers.

Jintor

Plus the ads on PA are unique, blend in to the site and are more likely to be of interest to the reader than typical ads.

They do elaborate though, and say it could lead to full RSS feeds and apps being created since they don't need to rely on hits. Plus it will give them time to work on other things.

I'm not going to donate, but I won't be complaining if they reach 825k to revive the podcast.

I definitely want those fucking podcasts back. God, the half-hour to an hour long Gabe and Tycho strip-making conversations were godlike, and the videos just aren't the same.

Still not getting my money though.

They do elaborate though, and say it could lead to full RSS feeds and apps being created since they don't need to rely on hits. Plus it will give them time to work on other things.I'm not going to donate, but I won't be complaining if they reach 825k to revive the podcast.
I don't see why they couldn't include full text RSS with ads like Ars Technica do. I asked Ben Kuchera about that when he moved to the PA Report and he said it was a PA business decision only to publish excerpt RSS feeds (I like Kuchera's stuff but I don't read PA any more because there's no full text).

Is it actually terrible or do you only think it's terrible when viewed through the lens of your own background? There are millions of people who love country music and Taio Cruz. If they were objectively terrible music, nobody would like it at all.

Second paragraph was tongue in cheek because of the first paragraph ;)

Although I don't enjoy either of those groups of music now. Aside from, again, the more musically talented of the genres. You can enjoy your Taio Cruz and I won't judge you for it as long as I can listen to Appollonia followed by Neon Indian followed by Chevelle followed by Burial!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom