• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, Bond is martinis not scotch or whiskey :/
As long as martinis are still his favourite drink on the citadel I don't care how far reaching alcoholism is.

Also thanks Cod! Was looking at the Gage Pumpkin longnecks the other day when I grabbed the Sleeping Giant IPA and the Coffee Lager. I think it was $9 at Safeway? If it is $6 tonight I will grab otherwise I'll see if the mediocre local Dan's has it. I'll see if the Blockos is there too, love a Victorian drop.

ALSO THIS IS SO BOUGHT
5 classics. Synops gets my blood running just looking at them!

Shaneus

I dunno if this has been talked about yet but what's everyones thoughts on Bond drinking Heineken instead of scotch, whiskey, and women in the next movie?
He's gone from drinking one of the best champagnes available, to drinking cocktails with unnamed ingredients, to (I think) some sort of vodka? Absolut? to drinking a crappy generic beer. He should be drinking Brewdog or Lovibonds!

I'll see if the Blockos is there too, love a Victorian drop.
If you want good Victorian beer, look into the Beechworth Pale Ale from Bridge Road Brewers*, Red Hill Golden Ale* pretty much anything from Moon Dog** or Mornington Peninsula Brewery** or Prickly Moses**.

* Probably available at Dan Murphy's
** Probably not available at Dan Murphy's

... where's Bern's post about all these Icelandic beers we'll never get a chance to have? I need something to counter with all the Japanese beers he'll never get a chance to have!

Stackboy

My birthday was a few weeks ago and both my parents and sister have forgotten to buy me a present.

I'm not THAT upset about it, but it feels weird. Especially since I went all out for my mothers bday this year and have sent presents to my bro in law, sister, niece and nephew in the States for their birthdays this year.

Stackboy

I had a really great birthday, in spite of that actually! On the night I invited a bunch of friends to dinner. Expected about 5-8 to reply and say they would be there. I had 25 friends show up! Did the same on the weekend for lunch and got a separate group of 25. I feel really fortunate to have so many great friends and that's all I really wanted for my bday. I saw my folks on the Sunday as well. They are over 60 and becoming quite forgetful, so I don't mind so much. I got to speak to my sister and my niece the night of my birthday, they are in Washington DC. My niece sang me happy bday and we pulled funny faces for a while (she's 3) and that made my day. So yeah, I had a really good bday! Thanks Jase.

That sounds like an awesome birthday. And hey, presents aren't everything. I think most of us in this thread are in fairly privileged positions (i.e. not below the poverty line) where we end up buying a lot of what we want for ourself during the year. I think our family is fairly close to forgetting the whole presents thing based upon this.

I'm not saying that present aren't good, but the interactions that you had with your friends and family sound so much better. :)

Shaneus

My birthday was a few weeks ago and both my parents and sister have forgotten to buy me a present.

I'm not THAT upset about it, but it feels weird. Especially since I went all out for my mothers bday this year and have sent presents to my bro in law, sister, niece and nephew in the States for their birthdays this year.
xM2FG.jpg

Dead Man

FUCKING WANKERS. Fucking tv repeair place has had my tv for 7 weeks only to tell me the part is no longer available. Cocks. Why the fuck does it take 7 week to figure that out? Fucking useless fucking wankers. GAH!

/rant

So, any good deal on 50"ish TV's at the moment?

I had a really great birthday, in spite of that actually! On the night I invited a bunch of friends to dinner. Expected about 5-8 to reply and say they would be there. I had 25 friends show up! Did the same on the weekend for lunch and got a separate group of 25. I feel really fortunate to have so many great friends and that's all I really wanted for my bday. I saw my folks on the Sunday as well. They are over 60 and becoming quite forgetful, so I don't mind so much. I got to speak to my sister and my niece the night of my birthday, they are in Washington DC. My niece sang me happy bday and we pulled funny faces for a while (she's 3) and that made my day. So yeah, I had a really good bday! Thanks Jase.

That is much better I think. Having great friends like that says quite a lot about you, mate.

Stackboy

That sounds like an awesome birthday. And hey, presents aren't everything. I think most of us in this thread are in fairly privileged positions (i.e. not below the poverty line) where we end up buying a lot of what we want for ourself during the year. I think our family is fairly close to forgetting the whole presents thing based upon this.

I'm not saying that present aren't good, but the interactions that you had with your friends and family sound so much better. :)

I more or less buy whatever I please and live very comfortably, so it was never about that. But I did have a great day. It's just the first time my family has forgotten to buy me a present.

Shaneus

Yeah honestly, if I was younger and a similar thing happened (re: forgetfulness) I would've been pissed, but as I've been getting older it's less about the presents and more about just being with people you care about, who care about you. Doesn't matter how many or how few people there are. That they're there is what matters.

And besides, if there's something I really want, I usually buy it myself anyway (and most of my family are generally pretty crap at picking presents ahaha). Although having said that, you can't by your eldest nephew's first attempt at writing his name on your birthday card. He's four (and has the most AMAZING English accent for some reason... speaks VERY properly, which is hilarous).

Can I ask how old you are, Stack?

jambo

$800? What is wrong with it?

Kogan isn't a reputable brand, plus they bypass distributors, wholesalers and retailers and sell directly to customers.

A mate of mine bought a 46" LED TV for his parents and hasn't had any issues with it. Full HD, I think it was even 3D.

They're one of the fastest growing retailers in Australia.

Dead Man

Kogan isn't a reputable brand, plus they bypass distributors, wholesalers and retailers and sell directly to customers.

A mate of mine bought a 46" LED TV for his parents and hasn't had any issues with it. Full HD, I think it was even 3D.

Yeah, the reviews I'm reading seem pretty decent, but it looks like it blurs quite a bit. Since it is mainly for gaming that is a problem. Still, at the price it is very tempting.

Edit: and it's going to be hard for me to buy a TV I can't at least look at in a store.

jambo

Yeah, the reviews I'm reading seem pretty decent, but it looks like it blurs quite a bit. Since it is mainly for gaming that is a problem. Still, at the price it is very tempting.

Edit: and it's going to be hard for me to buy a TV I can't at least look at in a store.

Yeah, fair enough. I probably wouldn't buy it without seeing it in-store either. Best bet is to go to JB, they seem to have sales constantly on TVs, plus you can normally haggle the price down a little.

Dead Man

Yeah, fair enough. I probably wouldn't buy it without seeing it in-store either. Best bet is to go to JB, they seem to have sales constantly on TVs, plus you can normally haggle the price down a little.

Yeah, think I'll head down this weekend.

Thanks Cod!

20121109_17013594oy0.jpg

Fuck you Cod! Now I can't afford to feed my son tonight! Or for the rest of the week!
At least we can yell at the Cricket tomorrow.

Also Tony Greig? Lung Cancer?!?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sweet new Soundgarden Album bought! haven't listened yet. Weird that it doesn't come out in US till the 13th.
Found it disappoint. New Deftones is great though!

So, any good deal on 50"ish TV's at the moment?
Heard great things about the Kogan quality lately. Great price if you want 3D, otherwise most standard 50 inch TV's should be around that price or even down to $600 if you haggle.

JB is indeed the best bet to get a feel for it. No point in 3D though. Would LOVE IPS or the refresh rate of the 3 TV though.

Rezbit

Sweet loot rep! That Sleeping Giant IPA is a bit poo though! I just stuck with Cooper's Pale - boring but it was on special.

Dead Man

Thanks Cod!

20121109_17013594oy0.jpg

Fuck you Cod! Now I can't afford to feed my son tonight! Or for the rest of the week!
At least we can yell at the Cricket tomorrow.

Also Tony Greig? Lung Cancer?!?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Found it disappoint. New Deftones is great though!

Heard great things about the Kogan quality lately. Great price if you want 3D, otherwise most standard 50 inch TV's should be around that price or even down to $600 if you haggle.

JB is indeed the best bet to get a feel for it. No point in 3D though. Would LOVE IPS or the refresh rate of the 3 TV though.

Nice grab. And yeah, not worried about 3d, I just want good BR and gaming from it. Thinking another Panasonic plasma is the way to go. The one that just died was about 6 years old, so it lasted a while. Still going to call around a few more shops to see if anyone can fix it, if they can, then I have an awesome new bedroom TV :)

Nice haul 8)

I went with Kooinda Red Ale today.
I was restricted to local Dan's and Safeway stock sadly! Thankfully the updated Dan's website tells you on every page straight away if your local store has stock. Very well setup.

Sweet loot rep! That Sleeping Giant IPA is a bit poo though! I just stuck with Cooper's Pale - boring but it was on special.
The Sleeping Giant longnecks were only $3 each ;)
Goes okay, not amazing but very solid IPA. I would rate it around the same mark as Little Creatures, maybe a touch lower.

FFS SMH are you serious?

Also
“You think about being a good person and a good citizen and so you stop to help someone, but don't do it,” she said. “Don't be good citizens - most people don't leave home without a mobile phone."
This right fucking here. It is the 21st century. Your 4 year old kids have mobile phones and gps trackers implanted under their scalp. There is no need to stop and help. At the most stop and pull over for a chat but DON'T get out of the car.

Nice grab. And yeah, not worried about 3d, I just want good BR and gaming from it. Thinking another Panasonic plasma is the way to go. The one that just died was about 6 years old, so it lasted a while. Still going to call around a few more shops to see if anyone can fix it, if they can, then I have an awesome new bedroom TV :)
If you want a Pana I would get one sooner rather than later after seeing their results over the last few years :/

Jintor

This right fucking here. It is the 21st century. Your 4 year old kids have mobile phones and gps trackers implanted under their scalp. There is no need to stop and help. At the most stop and pull over for a chat but DON'T get out of the car.

The scariest thing about this is there's no, like, thing to point at and say 'this movement in society caused this' or 'we can address these issues this way'. This was the work of a monster, maybe more than one, plain and simple.

This is a difficult stance to take, but I'm not sure 'don't ever stop for strangers because there's a small chance they might be a rapist' is the best message to take from this.

I have to acknowledge though - and I'm aware of the somewhat sexist imputations underlying it - but this may be a different case for women though in these skeezy late-night-alone circumstances.

The scariest thing about this is there's no, like, thing to point at and say 'this movement in society caused this' or 'we can address these issues this way'. This was the work of a monster, maybe more than one, plain and simple.

This is a difficult stance to take, but I'm not sure 'don't ever stop for strangers because there's a small chance they might be a rapist' is the best message to take from this.

I have to acknowledge though - and I'm aware of the somewhat sexist imputations underlying it - but this may be a different case for women though in these skeezy late-night-alone circumstances.

Basically 'if you are alone, regardless of gender, don't take any risks' has been my viewpoint for a long time now.
since a spree of rapes after clubbing in Geelong at the end of 2005 or 2006

r1chard

Dammit, my whiskey from Lark hasn't arrived yet! No whiskey this weekend!!!

Just to follow up on this: Lark have gotten back to me and are sending a second bottle. They've asked me to return the first one if it shows up. I think I'll just pay for it instead :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom