• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1chard

Anyone else on Optus cable in Eastern Melbourne (ie. around Mitcham/Nunawading) and finding it utterly sucking these days? It seems to just cut out every few minutes or so... speedtest says it's up around 18Mbps but I have no idea how it could think that...

midonnay

That's why I asked about the Blade Runner glasses. I guess I'm not good at being subtle. We could go in on one if there's enough of us? IIRC it was about $95 to get one landed. Are there 10 willing to go in? Not too much of an outlay...

Edit: Yep, $94 for one or $170 for two.

I'd be willing.....

I think Randomvince had something going on....but I totally forgot about it >_<

procrastination is the ausgaf way >_>

Yeah I'm not trying to step on Vince's toes at all. We just got stuck trying to decide which scotch and as far as I can remember everyone just let it slide. The ultimate would be the glass and a bottle of scotch.

If the wedding is next week then the glass wouldn't make it in time anyway.

legend166

It's strange how much I dislike Richmond considering how they have been horrible the entire time I've followed the AFL.

I think it's because they beat us somehow.

Yagharek

Ahh yes, scotch. I've been moving house this weekend and didn't know it was so soon.

Bladerunner glasses are a top idea, so is a good drop. If reptile is happy to have a minor wait, then yeah, the glasses are an option.

Someone pm me the URL for the glasses and we have a vote for which one. Two glasses or a scotch to the same value.

Anyone who wants to chip in, pm me also and I'll sort it out on Tuesday :)

Karmichael Clutch.

Piss off. He did something good? Amazing. I still remember when he broke Braith Anasta's nose with an awesome shoulder charge.

The Reds scored in the third minute. Come on boys. Three more and we're in the finals. And the Brumbies are out after leading all year. Sucked in Canberra. Potentially.

Yagharek

Before I forget, this is how it goes:

People vote here what they like.
PM me if you're in.
I'll post a list of who is in and what the gift is.
Equal share of the cost follows, but no immediate hurry.

Expressions of interest soon please. I think we have about three or four people down.

None of the Flash Sales finish until after bed time :(

Man o man, hedge trimmers are the shit! Spent an hour last week hacking at a bush with some pruning shears and took off maybe 3% of it. Fire up the hedge trimmer I borrowed from work and WHAM! cleared it up and took off 70% in like 3 minutes! Also now being used to prune trees lol

WHAT A WIN BY GOLD COAST! Dropped a massive lead in the second quarter to come from behind with what, 3 goals in the last 3 minutes?, including one from after the siren by Hunt! Hunt who has been dealing with rumours all week that he is moving BACK to Rugby! Big victory for the little guys after a tough year.

I remember most those awesome experiences that were unexpected and unique over being funnelled. Movies are much better at that.
Sounds like you would very much enjoy Spec Ops The Line. I thought it worked fantastic in a video game format and used the conventions to envelop you in the story to a much greater degree than any other type of media would have.

So are we doing anything about buying reptile a wedding gift? Isn't his wedding next week.?

We sure are lazy.
This time next week I will be drunk at my reception chowing down a steak!

I'm lazy too :(
Still haven't heard back about the photos tomorrow, still can't find the DVD with our dance steps on it and still haven't finished the wedding favours 0_o

Ahh yes, scotch. I've been moving house this weekend and didn't know it was so soon.

Bladerunner glasses are a top idea, so is a good drop. If reptile is happy to have a minor wait, then yeah, the glasses are an option
Also I kinda forgot to reply that any scotch that tastes good I love (although any scotch that tastes bad I will chow down for the alcoholic content!)

I'm chuffed that you guys are thinking of me so I will greatly appreciate any gift you guys send on to us!

r1chard

Ah, so it turns out it's probably not Optus and more likely the ethernet switch I had my PC plugged into. Re-plugged directly into the router it connects just fine, and much faster ...

So now I have a d-link ethernet switche (actually, I have two of them so either could be the culprit) that I'm just going to have to assume is dodgy. Any recommendations for a reasonably-priced switch with between 4 and 8 ports?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Here is a metal band that I am currently really really enjoying the work of. Couple of different styles in the songwriting that makes it nice and dynamic for the whole 70 minutes.
Favourite track on it.

The new "Djent". Takes after meshuggah and sikth who split up fucking years ago. If you haven't checked sikth out, make sure you do.

That style of metal is starting to get popular now. Now too sure how I feel about it. Sikth existed like 8 years ago, Meshuggah is the essentially perfected version of it with a heavier sound.

I keep meaning to check out the new periph, I should do that tomorrow!

Ah, so it turns out it's probably not Optus and more likely the ethernet switch I had my PC plugged into. Re-plugged directly into the router it connects just fine, and much faster ...
I'm in Melb's SE suburbs and have problems with Optus too. Usually it's mostly slow during the evenings, though the modem occasionally enjoys rebooting of its own accord every now and then.

The new "Djent". Takes after meshuggah and sikth who split up fucking years ago. If you haven't checked sikth out, make sure you do.

That style of metal is starting to get popular now. Now too sure how I feel about it. Sikth existed like 8 years ago, Meshuggah is the essentially perfected version of it with a heavier sound.

Yup, been a huge fan of Sikth since back in the day! Was super excited when Enter Shikari grabbed Dan Weller for producing their latest album.

I think a major reason it is starting to take off now is the more melodic post-hardcore scene that started moving into heavier territory while still remaining popular, bands like Dance Gavin Dance were a good kick off point into melodic death metal territory with clean/rough vocals as well. The Hollow Grave album by Architects was a great album too, with some outstanding tracks (their others are average though unfortunately). More and more bands are popping up now that grew up listening to Dillinger Escape Plan too which has led to more variety in styles, I'd like to think that people are less hung up on having "pure" music of just one style where it HAS to be Mathcore or has to be Death Metal. Nowadays people can get together, smash out some fun sounding music that they are enjoying playing, upload it to the internet on Bandcamp and hey presto!

Also the new Periphery album is tons better than the first one, seems the new singer really has done well for them! (he re-recorded vocals for the first album but didn't have a hand in writing anything)

Blue room is good but the room isn't sloped enough (if at all?) my gf is pretty short at around 5ft 3inches and the last time were there, 2 tall people sat in front of us and either seat didn't give her an ideal view of the screen. It's a shame too because the price is good but they won't let you reserve seats (at least they didn't used to). So now we just go to gold class instead, we have Batman booked in at Chermside Gold Class next Friday :D
Lol, I had the same problem. Still a lovely cinema though.

Yeah the same mate who loves periphery is a massive djent fan. And a meshuggah fan prior to djent coming around. Is cloudkicker djent? Because cloudkicker is rad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB75rvrv5YA&sns=tw

Hmm after furthur investigation is seems like the integrated microchip in the battery that prevents overcharging is faulty since upgrading to ICS. Not sure if the new firmware could actually make a change to the phone itself and/or the physical battery but there seem to be a lot of other similar cases since ICS became available to the Galaxy S2.

Best solution would be not to leave it on the charger overnight! Might have to grab another battery for testing since it own't always be practical to pull the charger out the moment it hits 100%.

EDIT:
Yeah the same mate who loves periphery is a massive djent fan. And a meshuggah fan prior to djent coming around. Is cloudkicker djent? Because cloudkicker is rad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB75rvrv5YA&sns=tw
Yup, classic. Love my instrumental stuff.

Also awesome. Grabbed their newest the other day when we were talking about them, very solid.

EDIT AGAIN: Oh and Monuments have put up the instrumental for a track off their first album Gnosis, which they have a vocalist for now.

EDIT OH GOD HAS EVERYONE MOVED TO A PROPER AUSGAF7 THAT I DONT KNOW ABOUT?!?: There is nothing more satisfying than slicing through a nice big bush and chucking it all in a pile just as the rains start. YOU CAN'T FOIL ME MOTHER NATURE I GET OUT OF BED BEFORE NOON THESE DAYS!

Mako_Drug

Easiest way to get around the low violence version of L4D2 on steam? have someone gift it to me from another region or find a way to mess around in the game files and disable the censoring??

THREAD IS DEAD.

find a way to mess around in the game files and disable the censoring??

This is what I do. It is insanely easy, you just change a couple of numbers around. Only problem is I can't get online to work. I've used hamachi to do lan with people, but no random online. No achievements either. If you can cope with that just buy the australian version.

I'm considering subscribing to this comic collection thing, if I'm able to get a job I applied for. Does it look dodgy? I don't know ;.;

Here is a metal band that I am currently really really enjoying the work of. Couple of different styles in the songwriting that makes it nice and dynamic for the whole 70 minutes.
Favourite track on it.

Oh hey I missed this. Nice. Was a bit heavy for me at the start, but then it got a lot better. Not much of a screamo fan, but I can handle a bit :p

I'm considering subscribing to this comic collection thing, if I'm able to get a job I applied for. Does it look dodgy? I don't know ;.;

I picked up the first volume from a newsagent the other day and based on it the books are pretty good quality. Wound up subscribing that night because on the whole the prices are decent, sitting nicely between "import from Amazon" and "get reamed by a local comic shop" and it seems like a good way to have some comics coming in regularly and just get into some Marvel stuff without having to go out and pick out specific trades myself (pretty much all my Marvel experience comes from the movies and Mahvel vs Capcom).

Apart from their site being a bit shit, the publisher seems legit and has run a number of these partwork things before.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Oh hey I missed this. Nice. Was a bit heavy for me at the start, but then it got a lot better. Not much of a screamo fan, but I can handle a bit :p

interesting

anyone know of anything similar for DC? with a heavy focus on batman >_>

ive tried ereader comics but i just dont like digital anything

Looks just like those dodgy 'build a model plane!' subscription magazine things that are on the TV all the time. I'd do some Googling before committing.

Kritz

Banned
Looks just like those dodgy 'build a model plane!' subscription magazine things that are on the TV all the time. I'd do some Googling before committing.

If you are starting from issue 1, please note you will receive your free issue and the above gifts with your second delivery. Your first delivery will be issue 1 packaged by itself.
Thereafter you will receive 2 issues packed together every 4 weeks at a price of £9.99 (€15.99/R109.95/A$19.95) per issue.
Issue 1 comes at the special price of £2.99 (€5.50/R29.95/A$7.95).
Issue 2 comes at the special price of £6.99 (€11.99/R79.95/A$12.95).
Issue 3 onwards is priced at £9.99 (€15.99/R109.95/A$19.95).

There appear to be about 60 issues?

Comes out to be $8 for the first book, $13 for the second book, and $1140 for the remaining books.

midonnay

I got one of those dinosaur mags when I was a kid....

glow in the dark t-rex.... collect a few plastic bones every issue :O

world was a different place before google and wikipedia :/

Deeku

I got one of those dinosaur mags when I was a kid....

glow in the dark t-rex.... collect a few plastic bones every issue :O

world was a different place before google and wikipedia :/
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I HAD THEM ALL!!

Also, there was a human body one, where you build a dude from all the body parts and bones and stuff.

When I was 8 or 9 I did a similar subscription for "Sabrina's Secrets" (the teenage witch), which came with a magazine and witch-y inspired make up :| Also K-Zone.

Fffff shan why tell me that exists

why

I foresee a group AusGAF getting burned on a deal situation

Oops :p

It does look awfully expensive overall, but you can opt out. I just wonder if they'd make it difficult to.. Also This appears to be the full comic collection list. I might sign up and opt out if I'm not so keen on it later. Hrrm.

Like traded in comics? I guess the problem with that is I don't know which one to buy @_@ With this collection I wouldn't have to, AND it looks nice on my shelf. That said, I don't care about roughly 1/4 of those comics.

Like traded in comics?

Trade paperback, a single book collecting a number of issues of a comic that usually cover a single storyline.

The books in this thing are trades. They're just trades that someone else has picked out and are sent to you a couple of times a month. Like I said, that's a big part of the appeal for me.

Deeku

i ALsogot those and the creepy crawly one!!! and the wheres wally one :D :D
I think I had a few creepy crawly ones, not sure.

The other ones I collected the most were the ufo/paranormal/x-files one, and another mag about fighter jets. I think those only came with a nice folder, no weekly free stuff. Also had a sub to k-zone at some point lol.

Never got into comics, only have a couple of futurama and simpsons ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom