• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

I heard he was going to a birthday thing and commented on it when I was with Jintor in person, and didn't know it was his own. What an unintentional arsehole I was.

Happy Birthday, Jintor.

Jintor

Hey don't worry about it, it's not like I made a big deal of it or anything. You weren't to know! Thanks for all the birthday wishes AusGAF! I will make us a coat of arms.

Rezbit

Hey don't worry about it, it's not like I made a big deal of it or anything. You weren't to know! Thanks for all the birthday wishes AusGAF! I will make us a coat of arms.

Happy birthday small human! What material wealth do you wish for?

r1chard

Damn you Optus with your measly 150GB quota and now I can't download anything from the Internets for another goddamn day.

#firstworldproblems

Yagharek

This has probably already been posted but tickets are on sale now for the 'Festival of Dangerous Ideas' in Sydney. I'll only be able to go to the one talk as I have a friends wedding on that weekend :( 'The delusion of free will' by Sam Harris.

List of all talks:

SUN 23 SEPT
Israel Is An Apartheid State

FRI 28 SEPT
The Delusion Of Free Will

SAT 29 SEPT
Abolish Private Schools
All Australians Are Racist
By The Sea, Freedom
Children Are Not Innocent
China ♥ America
How Many Dangerous...
I Share Therefore I Am
Let Banks Fail
Make More Mistakes
My Workplace Is A Cult
The Devil Is Real
The End Of Growth
Who Owns Australia

SUN 30 SEPT
A Foetus Is Not A Person
All Women Hate Each Other
Anzac Day: Best We Forget
Bono And Bob, Get Out...
By The Sea, Freedom
Engineer Humans To Stop...
Genital Cutting Is Normal
How To Solve All The ...
If Mother Nature Could...
Justice Is More Important...
The Coming Civil War...
The US Elections: Just...
The Joy Of Sin
The War In Afghanistan...
We Are All Sexual Perverts
We Are The Gods Now
You Are Being...

Wish Ii could go.

At a brief head count, I agree with the vast majority of the statement type headings there. >.>

melbgaf meet up:rezbit edition
Happening next monday on the 6th of august. Come and meet the man himself.
whos coming? Place tbd.
Monday is an odd day for a meetup. I will be in the city on Friday, so I'm going to have MelbGAF meet up: lonely cods drinking forever alone edition on Friday 3rd.

Rezbit

Yeah I'm coming over for a week, but am busy on the weekend. Just drop a name if you can meet on a weekday and we'll see what happens.

Yagharek

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jul/29/climate-change-sceptics-change-mind

This is an interesting read.

The Earth's land has warmed by 1.5C over the past 250 years and "humans are almost entirely the cause", according to a scientific study set up to address climate change sceptics' concerns about whether human-induced global warming is occurring.

Prof Richard Muller, a physicist and climate change sceptic who founded the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature (Best) project, said he was surprised by the findings. "We were not expecting this, but as scientists, it is our duty to let the evidence change our minds." He added that he now considers himself a "converted sceptic" and his views had undergone a "total turnaround" in a short space of time.

How much do you think it would cost to rebuild this house?

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/VIC/Hampton-Park/?adid=2009740778

It's partially burned down. I only ask out of curiosity since i've never seen a place like that on offer before. Kinda odd.
You'd probably end up better off by knocking it down and building something entirely new. I think deconstruction and removal can cost $20 000+ and then whatever construction is for the new house. You could probably get away with spending an additional $150 000-$175 000.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
You'd probably end up better off by knocking it down and building something entirely new. I think deconstruction and removal can cost $20 000+ and then whatever construction is for the new house. You could probably get away with spending an additional $150 000-$175 000.

Yea, But that's a fair amount of cash when I could buy a new house for less than that.

But it wouldn't have that pool!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Pretty hard to guess. Maybe 150k. You could probably clear the site and build a decent house on it for less than 300k, but maybe not a six bedder.

150k for 2 walls and some roof? I didn't think it would be that much.

There's plans on the site as well but I couldn't find a price hidden anywhere on the document :(

Fredescu

150k for 2 walls and some roof? I didn't think it would be that much.
It's not just two walls and a roof, it's two stories (seven walls, two floors, and a roof), a new second story bathroom, a new kitchen, plus look inside the house on images 3 and 4, its all exposed to the weather, so you'd have to replace walls and flooring and possibly electrical. Wouldn't be cheap.

Yagharek

But mah electric bill!

I was listening to an interview on abc radio the other day. There was a great chat with an author about the Anthropocene. His argument was that geologically speaking, we could classify the time beginning at the start of the Industrial Revolution as a new epoch to follow the Holocene.

He argued that there is enough of a distinction between the records that are shown in the past 12000 years to what will be shown in the next little while. All the rubbish we leave, chemical and radioactive markers, a layer of shoes, and our almost complete disruption of not just the carbon, but also the nitrogen and phosphorous cycles, both of which have major repercussions for plant and ocean life.

Oh, and the current extinction rate is about 1000 times that of the background extinction rate. Which puts us right up there with the end-Permian and K-T events.

Essentially, he goes on to say that climate change/AGW is an important issue, but it is one of several critical issues. And solving the problem of global warming/climate change will not address the other problems and damage we are doing.

tl;dr: we done goofed.

Yagharek

Ive got a 60GB monthly limit and I rarely get a 75% quota warning.

The biggest use it gets in a single download is for a PS3 demo usually.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It's not just two walls and a roof, it's two stories (seven walls, two floors, and a roof), a new second story bathroom, a new kitchen, plus look inside the house on images 3 and 4, its all exposed to the weather, so you'd have to replace walls and flooring and possibly electrical. Wouldn't be cheap.

Very True.

There goes that idea then haha. Not like I would have really tried to buy it.

I'm still tempted to get a cheapish house and slowly work on it. Like i'm on the block or something! I can record myself and you can all watch me blow up my house after 1 month of hard work.

r1chard

Ive got a 60GB monthly limit and I rarely get a 75% quota warning.
We rarely go anywhere near the 150GB but this month has been a big one for large game downloads ... and some other stuff. Quite unusual for us.

Oh, and I'll retroactively add a #firstworldproblems to my post above ;-)

Yagharek

We rarely go anywhere near the 150GB but this month has been a big one for large game downloads ... and some other stuff. Quite unusual for us.

Oh, and I'll retroactively add a #firstworldproblems to my post above ;-)

Steam Sales wil do that eh.

Personally, Im more likely to buy something off virtual console, and that's hardly even going to register on a download meter.

50 games coming in at 1-2GB for $5 a pop will destroy most people's quota though.

jambo

After talking with omi in IRC, parenthood is even worse than this

htbJ5.png

mSFov.png

r1chard

Steam Sales wil do that eh.
Yeah, and I've not even downloaded everything yet. It was them and the PS+ game downloads and the high def Star Wars Ep IV fan edit that I attempted to download three times (and then fully shared back the third time) [so yes, this my downloading incompetence is partly to blame, but I blame it on that horrendously crappy pile of poo that is jdownloader]...

After talking with omi in IRC, parenthood is even worse than this
Yeah, but then it gets awesome :)

Though I am looking forward to further sleepless nights when my daughter becomes a teenager. Ugh. Tower prisons are frowned upon these days, right?

Fredescu

I'm still tempted to get a cheapish house and slowly work on it. Like i'm on the block or something! I can record myself and you can all watch me blow up my house after 1 month of hard work.
Not a bad idea. Get somewhere liveable but with a shitty kitchen and bathroom, and maybe with a flat yard that would make adding a room or two easier.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Not a bad idea. Get somewhere liveable but with a shitty kitchen and bathroom, and maybe with a flat yard that would make adding a room or two easier.

I think that's what my sister and bf are trying to do. That's 2 people though, So it would be easier for them with dual incomes blah blah. Although i'm sure 90% of her income goes to the horses.

I need an app on my tablet that connects to my iPhone over bluetooth that notifies me if my phone is ringing or i have a new message. It would be magic.

Dead Man

Moved last weekend. Our house is about 5 houses in from Regency Road.
RadGAF should have a meetup sometime.

Cheers. Tried that before, doesn't work on my laptop for some reason, works fine on my netbook which is failing to boot up half the time these days. :/

This has probably already been posted but tickets are on sale now for the 'Festival of Dangerous Ideas' in Sydney. I'll only be able to go to the one talk as I have a friends wedding on that weekend :( 'The delusion of free will' by Sam Harris.

List of all talks:

SUN 23 SEPT
Israel Is An Apartheid State

FRI 28 SEPT
The Delusion Of Free Will

SAT 29 SEPT
Abolish Private Schools
All Australians Are Racist
By The Sea, Freedom
Children Are Not Innocent
China ♥ America
How Many Dangerous...
I Share Therefore I Am
Let Banks Fail
Make More Mistakes
My Workplace Is A Cult
The Devil Is Real
The End Of Growth
Who Owns Australia

SUN 30 SEPT
A Foetus Is Not A Person
All Women Hate Each Other
Anzac Day: Best We Forget
Bono And Bob, Get Out...
By The Sea, Freedom
Engineer Humans To Stop...
Genital Cutting Is Normal
How To Solve All The ...
If Mother Nature Could...
Justice Is More Important...
The Coming Civil War...
The US Elections: Just...
The Joy Of Sin
The War In Afghanistan...
We Are All Sexual Perverts
We Are The Gods Now
You Are Being...
That looks an awesome line up, wish I could go.

Interesting in that it shows a sceptic scientist has changed their mind. Depressing in that the temperature has gone up that much. Fucking people.

jambo

RadGAF should have a meetup sometime.

The house we're renting has a cool rumpus room out the back with a bar. We've put the TV out there with all the consoles and the HD Foxtel box. There's also a Foosball table, a record player and a tonne of nerd stuff (figurines, lightsabers, bobble heads, etc).

Perfect for RadGAF

Jintor

Goddamn LA Noire is awesome except for interrogations and interacting with witnesses (i.e. the most interesting parts of the game) because Phelps is a complete jackass and never responds to the 'truth, doubt, lie' thing the way you think he will.

Me: Well, the guy's obviously not telling the truth, but I don't know if I have the evidence... doubt.
Phelps: YOU FUCKING LIAR LYING TO POLICE WILL LAND YOU IN THE BIG HOUSE GODDAMN YOU SUCK THE FUCK'S WRONG WITH YOU A MAN IS DEAD
Witness: Get out of my house.

Danoss

Goddamn LA Noire is awesome except for interrogations and interacting with witnesses (i.e. the most interesting parts of the game) because Phelps is a complete jackass and never responds to the 'truth, doubt, lie' thing the way you think he will.

Me: Well, the guy's obviously not telling the truth, but I don't know if I have the evidence... doubt.
Phelps: YOU FUCKING LIAR LYING TO POLICE WILL LAND YOU IN THE BIG HOUSE GODDAMN YOU SUCK THE FUCK'S WRONG WITH YOU A MAN IS DEAD
Witness: Get out of my house.

Well, at least the witness acts in a way you would expect, though they sound awfully calm about it. Also "suck the fuck's wrong with you" makes me giggle a little, it reminds me of Donnie Darko: "How exactly does one suck a fuck?"

Yagharek

Interesting in that it shows a sceptic scientist has changed their mind. Depressing in that the temperature has gone up that much. Fucking people.

Yep. No-one wants to be right about it happening, but the sooner we can demonstrate it conclusively to the powerful elements of the tinfoil hat brigade the better.

Yagharek

Holy shit.

Just had an epic game on PES 2011 Wii.

Portugal were being fucks. Cheating goals, 4-0 drubbings against me and I think my nunchuk isnt responding because open goal shakes werent even being detected as strikes in scramble situations.

I think I lost 15 straight.

Que revenge game.

2 all at half time after being down 2-0. Then I went 3-2 up til bullshit Ronaldo equalises in the last few minutes of the game. I have to sacrifice 2 red card defenders for bullshit "I thought he was offside" moments.

In the end, scored a winner in ET2 with 5 minutes to go and somehow had all the attack for the last 5 minutes with no invincible runs from the AI.

Oh yeah, this was with Ameobi United on professional, so not even the highest difficulty. Fucking tense though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom