• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

He said Sony All-Stars Battle Royale was a 'rip-off' and fanboy hell broke lose.

26 pages over nothing at all. One guy thinks a thing's a rip-off. Whatever.

Deeku

Do I want to dig out mgs4 and replay for trophies? :eek: Crap, I think I deleted the install data which means I need to sit through smoking snakes!

Yagharek

He said Sony All-Stars Battle Royale was a 'rip-off' and fanboy hell broke lose.

26 pages over nothing at all. One guy thinks a thing's a rip-off. Whatever.

It is, I thought that was fairly obvious. Not on par with a zynga ripoff, but its still fairly obvious where it draws inspiration from.

Do I want to dig out mgs4 and replay for trophies? :eek: Crap, I think I deleted the install data which means I need to sit through smoking snakes!

Only once though. New patch means you only install it once rather than each act.

Had the best damn weekend in Melbourne. Capped off by a second viewing of The Dark Knight Rises at IMAX at the museum. Such an amazing movie, just as good round 2.
Should move over! Fun times in Victoria. Also IMAX at Museum is so damn awesome, want to watch all the big releases there.

according to lolLIMTED he had given a verbal agreement to teammates to stay so you would think the head honchos would have kept the powder dry on Primus till next year :/

at least you guys still have John Butcher I guess.
Yeah Butcher has come along well, really don't want to lose Chaplin though :(

Goddamn that Kamiya thread is the funniest shit I've seen for ages
WiiU threads are usually the ones that get me laughing the most. Lots of butthurt Sony/Nintendo fanboys in that Kamiya thread, along with a few Xbox fanboy trolls stirring the shit :)

It is, I thought that was fairly obvious. Not on par with a zynga ripoff, but its still fairly obvious where it draws inspiration from.
Nah that is why everyone is riled up, it isn't a rip off really. None of the gameplay is lifted, just looks similar in screenshots. Just seems to be one of those threads with everyone posting at 100% rage rather than thinking about what they are writing before attacking each other.

Old data won't work with new trophies. Patch is 900MB and install is only 9GB so get on it!

Yagharek

But that's exactly what's happening.

No its not. If you want a different colour wii, you send it in and get it transferred to the new one. In the case of the bad examples of steam/origin etc, you lose access to those games entirely. With Wii transfers, you pay to have it done, but you are never prevented from playing them.
-----

Oh shit, from the kamiya thread:

Coming from a guy who ripped off Devil May Cry with Bayonetta..

Fredescu

With Wii transfers, you pay to have it done, but you are never prevented from playing them.
You're forced to pay if you want to play them. Say if you used to share your Wii with a family member, but now you're moving out, which is a common enough scenario. Not having an account based system means its not possible to separate your purchases. In that case your pretty much forced to buy them all again.

Yagharek

You're forced to pay if you want to play them. Say if you used to share your Wii with a family member, but now you're moving out, which is a common enough scenario. Not having an account based system means its not possible to separate your purchases. In that case your pretty much forced to buy them all again.

You get this problem with real disc based games too though. I accept this is a realistic scenario with no real solution, but no-one is losing their games - they are still there.

Just get the person who keeps the console to pay the other person out on the VC games they bought. It's not like they wouldnt already be splitting discs and controllers.

Once again, this is not the same as the download service banning your account and access to paid content where no-one can play them.

edit: to be clear, I'm not disputing its a potential problem, I just think the two examples are not analagous due to the nature of the services.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You know, I think my leniency with something like Valve on PC is entirely due to the convenience of knowing that, with the exception of multiplayer games, there will always be a way for me to comfortably acquire the products I've put a payment down for. The fear with consoles is that once you're locked out, that's it forever.

Fredescu

You get this problem with real disc based games too though.
No you don't, those disk based games aren't tied to hardware. He can take them with him and play them on another device.

Just get the person who keeps the console to pay the other person out on the VC games they bought.
Amounts to reselling the content, which is 100% against the ToS. If you're ok with that, you're ok with someone pirating the games they were locked out of on Origin, as it's the same solution.

Yagharek

Amounts to reselling the content, which is 100% against the ToS. If you're ok with that, you're ok with someone pirating the games they were locked out of on Origin, as it's the same solution.

It's not reselling the VC content as its always been tied to the same shop account. It's a transaction entirely separate to the location or license of the games on the console.

If someone moves out and takes the console, there are no games lost. Thats the key difference. If someone gets banned from steam/origin, all their games are lost. The console scenario is down to two people coming to a solution. The PC solution is banging your head against the wall by dealing with a company that has already decided you dont have the games anymore.

As for pirating games on origin/steam if they were banned from it - I wouldn't call anyone who did that as being morally or ethically wrong. Legally/technically, yes, but then I dont believe any company has the right to take your games from you.

Fredescu

If someone gets banned from steam/origin, all their games are lost.
That's not accurate. They can no longer use those services to launch and update their games, but they can easily crack them and continue to play, in a lot of cases by using the files they had already downloaded. You can't take a hardline on the one hand, but allow for technically illegal workarounds on the other.

Yagharek

That's not accurate. They can no longer use those services to launch and update their games, but they can easily crack them and continue to play, in a lot of cases by using the files they had already downloaded. You can't take a hardline on the one hand, but allow for technically illegal workarounds on the other.

There were people posting in the steam thread on gaming side that they did lose all their games and had to get their money back from visa chargeback.

Why did they lose their games? Haven't heard of anyone losing them for a reason other than doing something illegal or really really stupid.

Got kids? ABC Kids DVDs 2 for 1

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/76659

It's timmy time!!!!!

Any Father worth anything already has them all downloaded! Bit rough trying to get your kids to use archaic DVD's! Run everything through Plex on tablets or a HTPC for the big TV.

Fredescu

There were people posting in the steam thread on gaming side that they did lose all their games and had to get their money back from visa chargeback.
I don't think you interpreted it correctly then. Getting your Steam account banned isn't going to delete your Steam folder. As you've said, paying for a game and then downloading a pirated copy isn't morally wrong. So they didn't "lose all their games", they lost the ability to download and update them via the Steam service.

Yagharek

I don't think you interpreted it correctly then. Getting your Steam account banned isn't going to delete your Steam folder. As you've said, paying for a game and then downloading a pirated copy isn't morally wrong. So they didn't "lose all their games", they lost the ability to download and update it via the Steam service.

And is that going to be transferrable to another PC in future when they upgrade?

Why did they lose their games? Haven't heard of anyone losing them for a reason other than doing something illegal or really really stupid.

They declined the new ToS.

Omikron

Imma going to go copy-pasta my cd keys to a text file and store it on some mega cloud storage when I get home.

Just in case I get banned from the steam service.

Rahk

Why's everyone worried about being banned from Steam all of a sudden?

Edit: Oh, declining ToS? Eh, carry on.

They declined the new ToS.
And they got no warning their account would be banned? I thought people were getting a message saying if they don't accept the terms it will be banned (or if they just don't update Steam and use Offline Mode (which does work for some people (but would mean that you needed to have it up and running before the new ToS came out) but not for others which is annoying) to run their games without getting any new patches or the Steam-related services).

Rezbit

It'll be a strike on his record. Bulldogs should at least keep him around. Recreational drug use is such a huge problem in major sporting codes though. Some of the stories I've heard from guys who know AFL players is just unbelievable.

Danoss

It'll be a strike on his record. Bulldogs should at least keep him around. Recreational drug use is such a huge problem in major sporting codes though. Some of the stories I've heard from guys who know AFL players is just unbelievable.

Don't do it in the NRL or the related comps or you're named, shamed and banned. Demonstrated here in the most recent event:

NRL.com said:
Parramatta under-20s player Rodney Moefaauo has been given a 12-match suspension by the NRL after testing positive for cannabis.

Moefaauo registered the positive result following a game-day test on March 12 and the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority informed the NRL of the result in late June.

The 19-year-old accepted the 12-match sanction without contest, meaning a hearing of the anti-doping tribunal was not necessary.

New Zealand-born Moefaauo joined the Eels after spending the 2010 and 2011 under-20 campaigns with Cronulla but the prop is yet to make his senior NRL debut.

Yes, to some it may be "only weed", but the no tolerance attitude should be adopted in other codes. They don't fuck around, and I like that.

When do we put a MTV flag on Mars? Was hoping to be home from work by then.

Shockingly enough St Kilda have cut down a bit apparently! Heard some great stories from friends who would go out clubbing at the player hotspots.

AoZou.png

Time to go home and celebrate the next step to Mars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom