• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is at the local comic book shoppe and is wanting something new and current to pick up, I recommend the new Daredevil series by Waid, Hawkeye series by Fraction, Chew by John Layman and The Massive by Brian Wood. Lesser recommendations (good, not great) are Saga by Vaughan, All-New X-Men by Bendis (hmmmm, decompressed storytelling.. :/ BUT STUART IMMONEN MUTHUFUCKIN ARTWORK!) Conan by Brian Wood and The Manhattan Projects by Hickman.

As always, though, grab a random Vertigo trade. While you can sometimes go wrong, more often than not you hit gold. Usually the first trade of each series is bargained price, so you never have to outlay too much to get a taste for the series.

Are they actually on sale on sale? Because I saw them yesterday and thought they might've been the everyday price.

BRB, buying First Contact.

Online at the very least, as of this morming

You could have jumped on a boat to the US and watched it there.

Yes, US immigration laws allow for people in red shirts to migrate easily. Apparently they are not as much of a drain on the economy in the long run as people in blue or yellow

Kritz

Banned
I love how in that photo, the cat just looks like another inanimate object sitting on the desk, but is obviously far too big.

However, if you could get her (all cats are female) to wave her front right paw back and forth... good luck with that!

CAT FACT:

White cats are nearly always female. White male cats tend to have various health problems shortening their life, and on top of that they're sterile. And usually blind.

So if you see a cat that's mostly white, you're fine calling it a "she".

I am not actually a cat doctor I just read reddit a lot.

Deeku

I went to a different GPS school and I know for a fact that several members of the First XV were juicing up in grade 12, one in particular. Without an invasive, expensive and potentially embarrassing random drug testing program at the high school level, however, there's no way to keep these guys clean. With all the glory attached to First XV rugby victory and such a low risk of getting caught, there's a massive incentive to cheat.

I am shocked at people's shock.

The other thing I want to point out is that the school I went to was rugby mad, but the school's glory days, when they would actually win premierships, were all back in the distant past. I'm talking postwar here guys. The team was crap compared to (say) Nudgee and would consistently lose, but they still got all the money, attention and special assemblies while other sports that the school produced professional level talent in were ignored.

But that's the thing, there's so much old money cachet and prestige wrapped up in a First XV GPS premiership that they could never let go of the dream, not even after several decades at the bottom of the ladder. I would have pitied them if the whole team hadn't consisted almost entirely of fuckwits (there were a few exceptions, but not many).

There are two GPS schools called St Joseph's. One is Nudgee College, the other is Gregory Terrace. It's confusing all around.

We used to make fun of Brisbane Boys College (BBC) and their anachronistic straw hats (never mind that our own school hats were akubras). I see them sometimes on the train and the sight of their Wind in the Willows hats and green shirts always makes me giggle.
Heh, my school was pretty sport crazy too. I think up until a certain point, every class had like a designated Saturday where you had to turn up to a home game to support the 1st XV and XI or you got busted, like, kinda big time for something so dumb. Thing is though, we were actually the worrrrrst out of all the GPS schools in Sydney. We'd lose something like 150+ nil to St Josephs lol!

I was never really aware of any juicing up or anything, I just knew that those guys trained every morning doing weights and what not. Super dedicated.

And speaking of making fun, the best thing about Joeys was that they were a hardcore macho rugby school, but their school colours were pink! So, we made fun of that, but they'd say it's MAGENTA!!!....they even had a chant about it, wish I could remember the words lol

Jintor

I exchanged money for some comic books

it's really nice to be amongst nerds but wandering into a comic store when somewhat hungover and tired is not the correct conditions for nerd interaction

Stupid streetpasses maxing out at 10 streetpasses

I got some Inio Asano books and that Hawkeye trade paperback which I've wanted for a while. God I spent a lot of money on alcohol last night

senahorse

It's going to be interesting to see how the Durango and PS4 are priced here, our dollar has remained so strong for a while now, surely they won't be close to double the price again.

But it costs sooooooooo much to ship stuff here!!

Surely you've been temped to import a console from overseas but have realised your error when the shipping is just as much as the console?

Right?

Right?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Hmm do I want Dragon's Dogma? I do love me some dragons. $25 worth the punt I suppose?
It's a pretty good game. Has a number of issues that may or may not annoy you though. Still has the best combat in a action rpg.

it's really nice to be amongst nerds but wandering into a comic store when somewhat hungover and tired is not the correct conditions for nerd interaction

I got some Inio Asano books and that Hawkeye trade paperback which I've wanted for a while. God I spent a lot of money on alcohol last night

Amusingly I'm doing the opposite... I just came back from free comic day.. and I'm planning on partying hard later tonight at melbourne for a friend's birthday party. Fun times.

markot

Banned
Cadbury just did something amazing.

They put back whole almonds in their chocolate blocks.

Thats right. Whole almonds.

This is what it must have felt like to see ww2 end. The nightmare is over.

Amusingly I'm doing the opposite... I just came back from free comic day.. and I'm planning on partying hard later tonight at melbourne for a friend's birthday party. Fun times.

Go on, keep flaunting your awesome funtimes in my face :(

But it costs sooooooooo much to ship stuff here!!

Surely you've been temped to import a console from overseas but have realised your error when the shipping is just as much as the console?

Right?

Right?

Not really. I imported that PS3+uncharted 3 dealio and I think it cost $300 ($250 + shipping) which was still way cheaper than the going rate at the time.

Dead Man

QLD, explain yourself: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/05/04/451396_gold-coast-news.html

TATTOOED Queenslanders would have to register their ink with the State Government under a radical proposal from a Gold Coast MP to crack down on bikie gang money-laundering operations.

However, a leading civil libertarian has already raised concerns about the plan, saying it would unfairly label people as criminals.

Mermaid Beach MP Ray Stevens said bikie gangs were using tattoo parlours as a front to launder their ill-gotten gains, and a form of tattoo register would stop them using fake names and inflated tattoo prices to do this.

Mr Stevens said fake names were used at bikie-affiliated parlours, with cash payments of thousands of dollars for bogus tattoo work.

"Under the Health Act there should be a register of people getting tattoos so that we can identify those people getting tattoos rather than have John Smith, Bill Brown and all the other fake names of people who are paying $5000 or $10,000 for tattoos. This is a way for these bikie clubs to clean their money," he said.

"Considering the number of bikies and tattoo parlours I've seen in my area, considering the shootings in my area, I think it's a very worthwhile exercise to look into tattoo parlours and health activities associated with them."

Mr Stevens said the proposal could work with people required to give their name and identification to parlours when getting a tattoo with that information passed on to the Government register.

Similar restrictions are used for the sale of cold and flu medication containing phenylephrine, which is targeted by criminals because it is an ingredient in making speed.

Bond University criminologist Wayne Petherick said it would be a short-term blow for bikies, but they would quickly find a way around it.

"There might be an immediate reduction or stop them entirely," he said.

"But then it might not be a tattoo parlours, it might be a garage. They would find another business to use."

He also said it was treading a thin line in terms of civil liberties.

Queensland Council for Civil Liberties spokesman Terry O'Gorman said it was a naive and extreme approach.

"To require everyone who gets a tat to be registered is to require a huge number of the population who want it as a fashion statement to go on what would effectively be a criminal register," he said.

He said there was already a Federal Government body, Australian Transactions Reports and Analysis Centre, or AUSTRAC, which used high-tech means to investigate alleged money laundering, while if police had legitimate information to suggest a tattoo parlour was being used for laundering they would easily be able to get a phone tap and listening devices in place.

"There's no evidence that tattoo parlours are being used to launder money," he said.

Tattoo festival Surf 'n' Ink event manager Lindsay Hall (pictured) said the idea was ridiculous.

"The Government doesn't need to know if I have a tattoo," she said.

"If the reason is to help eliminate money laundering by bikie, clubs it won't help anything at all."

Jintor

Man this is probably my first and only night off for another month. Cascading assignments from now until the end of June

Is that a review of the movie or the BR? Because I know I like First Contact anyway.

pmT23.gif

Deeku

Man this is probably my first and only night off for another month. Cascading assignments from now until the end of June
sounds like uni!

also i checked out a (tiny) bit of that anime you recommended. ehhhhh dno, hasn't grabbed me yet. not moe enough maybe lol

Port Adelaide football spoilers

Boys fought hard after a terrible first quarter where our lost players up back really hurt our defence against the tall Roo forwards, just couldn't match it until we got into our groove but a 7 goal to 1 first quarter was always going to be tough to run down, 10 point loss is disappointing but considering we also didn't have our head coach at the game it was the expected result. Nice to see Wingard continuing his awesome start to the year. Looks like a future Brownlow medalist.

Next week will be another challenge.

Wongaratta?
What did you call me? >:-/
Thanks for that. As a BSHS alumni that was somewhat ignorant of sport (well, I was a coxswain in Grade 8 and played chess in my senior years, but those doesn't really count), I was wondering whether that was the same school when I read about it in the news, but couldn't figure out why I couldn't remember anything about the St. Joseph's bit of the name. It seems that it was just always dropped in any conversation to remove the confusion!

Man, that seems like such a long time ago now. Damn growing up :(.
Yeah. Eleven years for me. It's kind of surreal. I don't even think I was aware of how privileged and pampered that environment was at the time.
I guess I never went to an all boy's school, but damn, they're still kids. Grade 12 is what? 16-17? It never occurred to me that that kind of thing would be happening at such a young and amateur level. I'm sure that's not great for their growth. And are parents and teachers supplying it? That is all kinds of messed up.

hahaha. Is it true those akubras were "rabbit fur lined"?
Akubra fabric is made from matted rabbit fur, or at least it used to be.

Ningo

Port Adelaide football spoilers[/spoiler]

But 38-15...... First time I've ever taken issue with the umpiring with regards to influencing the result.

Neade's miss in the 1st qtr and Gray's 3 kickable misses the difference in the end.

Knew it was over when Cornes played on from a free and got run down straight away, that was the worst fuck up ever.

Not really. I imported that PS3+uncharted 3 dealio and I think it cost $300 ($250 + shipping) which was still way cheaper than the going rate at the time.
Why can few of you tell when I'm being sarcastic? Why are you taking me seriously? Do you all care so little for me that you don't bother to learn who I really am? Do you all do it on purpose to hurt me? Do yo all hate me that much? Do you??? DO YOU??? Must I bleed for your satisfaction? Is that the only way I can bring you all joy?

You'd like that, wouldn't you?

Well none of you are my mother so you can't make me do it this time!!

Why can few of you tell when I'm being sarcastic?!
Are you being sarcastic now?

Rep, find me a similar Android dock at a low low price that also has a clock in it!

Scratched myself on a rusty nail today, only drew a little blood, awesome.

Played a six hour game of Civ 5 today. Thanks again Markot!

Edit: Ducking autocorrect...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIHATEYOUALL!!!

Yeah. Eleven years for me. It's kind of surreal. I don't even think I was aware of how privileged and pampered that environment was at the time.

Akubra fabric is made from matted rabbit fur, or at least it used to be.

Nice. It was only four years for mmeeeee.

I played Monaco with a friend today. Game is pretty fun.

Its great fun! Even accidentally setting off alarms and screwing everyone over is fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom