• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

As someone who only has a passing interest in cricket, is it worth going to a 20/20 match?

It's probably the best type of cricket to see for someone with a passing interest. There'll be lots of action, boundaries and run outs, all condensed in to a short amount of time.

It's probably the best type of cricket to see for someone with a passing interest. There'll be lots of action, boundaries and run outs, all condensed in to a short amount of time.

Yeah that's what I figured. Went to a test match years ago and was bored after an hour.

Yeah that's what I figured. Went to a test match years ago and was bored after an hour.

I went to a bbl game last year with two pretty casual fans. They loved it. We've all decided to go to another game this year. Admittedly the game was amazing and literally came down to the last ball

Shaneus

Oh what's this, a discussion on best animated movie?
KVHIs.png

You all fucking suck.

Shaneus

Still, no-one mentioned Iron Giant.

I'm aching for the day when traditional animation makes a comeback. And not "traditional" in the way that The Simpsons looks like a late 90s Flash animation, like REAL stuff.

PS. The Emperor's New Groove.

Yagharek

Titan AE was an alright film too. Been a while since I last saw it though, so it might be kind of generic like Halo and the Matrix sequels these days. Fantastic Mr Fox was also incredible.

senahorse

Titan AE was an alright film too. Been a while since I last saw it though, so it might be kind of generic like Halo and the Matrix sequels these days. Fantastic Mr Fox was also incredible.

Titan AE is a great flick, shame it hasn't made it to blu-ray.

edit: nice, Finding Nemo is out on blu-ray, finally

hirokazu

Just got my Wii U set up. You guys got a list going of NNIDs? Or add me and let me know your NNID! Mine is lint2015

To some people it probably was. A lot of people have GOTYs that other people don't agree with. Most of the time those people write semi-illiterate rant posts on internet forums. Sometimes they have television shows.

My advice is to generally never play games in the year they were published. That way you never have to enter into the conversation.

Omikron

To some people it probably was. A lot of people have GOTYs that other people don't agree with. Most of the time those people write semi-illiterate rant posts on internet forums. Sometimes they have television shows.

My advice is to generally never play games in the year they were published. That way you never have to enter into the conversation.

The Walking Dead must have been a nice exception to that rule I guess. ;)

Didn't someone from Good Game say The Walking Dead isn't a game?

As much as I'm a fan of the Assassin's Creed series (but haven't played 3), it's got tough competition from games like The Walking Dead, XCOM, Dishonored, a Call of Duty game that's apparently good, Journey, etc...

Kritz

Banned
Speaking of five people and five hours, I've just started testing my newest game, and it's looking like it has some potential. The game aims to be a multiplayer third person moba-like. Though at the moment the game is closer to a really bad Tribes.

(the ball is in the air - it isn't a gigantic ball)

Tonight was a pretty small physics test. We had, I think, four people connect from AusGAF and then roll balls into one another. So far network connectivity is successful, and physics interactions and other networking aspects are going good. I'm looking forward into seeing how this game goes with people, as a multiplayer game needs, well, players.

I should probably start actually design docing this shit soon.

EDIT:

And a short video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsfiNPM3czM

The Walking Dead must have been a nice exception to that rule I guess. ;)
It's my game of the year!

This year consisted of The Walking Dead, Dishonored and Journey.

Journey was disqualified because it was too short and games need to be at least 15 hours long before they can be considered for GOTY.

Yagharek

Didn't someone from Good Game say The Walking Dead isn't a game?

I havent played TWD, but it's a modern point and click adventure, isn't it? In which case anyone who made such and argument would presumably be basing it on linearity? In which case assumptions on top of assumptions would see me level the same accusation against almost all "AAA" action adventure games and FPS games in recent times.

Obviously TWD has hit a chord with a lot of people. That should be celebrated.

It's my game of the year!

This year consisted of The Walking Dead, Dishonored and Journey.

Journey was disqualified because it was to short and game need to be at least 15 hours before they can be considered in the running.

15 hours? That rules out every FPS ever, every action adventure game this generation, critical darlings like Braid, Limbo, World of Goo, Bastion, and all time classics like Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros, Mario 64, OOT, Soul Calibur etc etc.

Basically anyone who makes the argument over 15 hours minimum is either slobbering over Skyrim's cock or hasn't seen the end credits of Tetris.

I havent played TWD, but it's a modern point and click adventure, isn't it?
It is, but not really what most adventure traditionalists would consider an adventure. Virtually no puzzles, it's really more of an interactive story. In that respect you could say it's not really a game. But then you'd have to disqualify plenty of other games.

Also, you must discount anything over 20 hours because then it's a way of life, not a game.

Yagharek

Maybe you prefer shorter games because you're not very good at them?

Not sure how you got that out of my post. I was saying game quality is independent of the length of the game, be it a 60 hour epic adventure or a four hour game of compressed awesome.

It is, but not really what most adventure traditionalists would consider an adventure. Virtually no puzzles, it's really more of an inactive story. In that respect you could say it's not really a game. But then you'd have to disqualify plenty of other games.

So it's kind of like Heavy Rain in that respect?

15 hour minimum or nothing!

Video games are a different value prospect than any other form of entertainment. Sure, I'll pay $20 for a 90minute movie at the cinema, $100 for a 2 hour concert or $30 for a DVD and I once gave a busker $5 as I walked past but unless I get at least 15 hours from my $60 game I declare it a rip off!

I agree in that it isn't "much" of a game. I'm not playing it to get high scores, perfect the platform/shooting/puzzle mechanics or do most things that the majority of games ask me to do. In fact, the mechanics themselves are quite poorly implemented; most of the time you encountered a QTE style interaction with no idea what's about to happen and potentially enough time to react before a end state is reached. The game sometimes involves learning by failing, which does not a great game make.

However, this game has made me 'feel' more than any other game has for a long time. It has made me make decision I don't want to make. It has made me dislike my choices and has mirrored that disgust via how NPCs react and what they say to me. It has manipulated by emotions. Those, those are great attributes for any form of interactive entertainment to aspire to.

That (along with only have played 3 new games this year) is the reason why it's my choice.

Dead Man

OF THE YEAR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_in_video_gaming#Game_releases

Very big call to say that AC3 is honestly the best game of the year.

Bajo didn't get it from what I recall, didn't play past the first ep (or didn't even finish that, I don't know)

I really can't stand that guy. Such a douche.

I don't have a drama with an hour minimum. Isn't there a 40 minute minimum for feature films at the Oscars? 15 hours does seems pretty long though. I'm assuming it includes multiplayer though, which is theoretically infinite.

Yagharek

15 hour minimum or nothing!

Video games are a different value prospect than any other form of entertainment. Sure, I'll pay $20 for a 90minute movie at the cinema, $100 for a 2 hour concert or $30 for a DVD and I once gave a busker $5 as I walked past but unless I get at least 15 hours from my $60 game I declare it a rip off!

I spent $99 on Halo 3 and got about 10 hours of campaign time from it.
I spent $8.45 on Pixeljunk Monsters and got about 100 hours campaign time.

I spent $70 on Sin and Punishment 2 for a six hour campaign.
I spent $15 on Braid and got through it in about six hours as well.

Pixeljunk and S&P2 were actually enjoyable though. Price, value and time are independent of each other.

The Walking Dead is a must play video game if you like the idea of video games. I don't give a fuck what anyone says, it is part of the video game medium.

It is the kind of game that will rekindle the lost love of gaming that someone has lost over time.

Also this year has been FUCKING AMAZING for games. To say AssCreed3 is the best of the lot makes you look stupid. Like calling Skyrim PS3 or multiplatform GOTY. Basically you are saying "fuck you consumer, go buy this game which isn't as good as a lot of games".

Jintor

I hate the narrative/ludology devide people tend towards. But then my definition of game is almost ludicrously wide

Omikron

Rockstar is a terrible developer. I have had more crashes and issues with Max Payne 3 than just about all games combined for the last 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom