• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

teekun

4-hours into The Last of Us. I'm genuinely impressed, the narrative and atmosphere reminds me a lot of Children of Men which is a VERY good thing. The gameplay is also fun, and impressive in how Joel actually controls like a everyman unlike Nathan Drake, although like the Uncharted series, I'm not so sure if this is going lend itself to multiple playthroughs. Good thing I'm only renting it in this case, should end up being one hell of a experience.

Yeah I got such a heavy Children of Men vibe to it, and I'm loving that. Naughty Dog has figured out character animations so well this generation, it's crazy. Like when you're behind cover and try to move past Ellie, Joel will actually move around her, putting his arms to either side of her so they can both hide behind the same spot on the cover. It was so natural I hardly noticed it at first.

I really hope they do a PS4 port of this at some point, though. I'd love to see it running with crazy detailed textures at 1080p.

Kritz

Banned
and impressive in how Joel actually controls like a everyman unlike Nathan Drake

Which, in regards to shooting, you can fix by appending a bunch of scrap bolts onto your guns. Then you shoot just as well as Drake, somehow. And, y'know, you're still running around strangling every fucker you come across. But you can't jump on things, I guess.

It's also interesting to me that if you run off of an object, and press X, you'll even do a little drake jump off it. It's interesting because the game doesn't have a jump button, and it never prompts you about it, it's just something I do out of habit in games and the game actually responds to the button press by doing what I can only assume is a legacy ability.

The game's not bad, though. Even if I would have preferred seeing it on the PS4 - it looks like horseshit on the PS3.

EDIT: The animations are perhaps the best animations I've seen in a game. So, there's that.

Rezbit

Yeah the old PS3 is showing its age. Still, some of the effects are pretty nice. When it's rainy it looks good.

Still, really enjoyed the game. Playing the silly multiplayer mode now (anyone else?).

Stackboy

Gaz, how come Crackdown 3 hasn't been announced for the XBone?

And is Saints Row 3 playable on PC. And should I pre-order SR4 on PC or 360? I've already preordered the 360 version, but I can always cancel that and throw that money on my GTA5 PS3 pre-order, if the PC version is going to work fine on launch.

Just heard of lots of SR3 PC issues.

Fredescu

SR3 is fine if you have an Nvidia card but bad if you have an AMD card. Not sure if that's fixed yet or not, but given THQ, I doubt it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
3ds animalcrossing tumblr/fb/twitter connectivity is funs.

225879_533382353385084_2093878406_n.jpg

=D this is me with the sloth shop keeper

Gazunta

Gaz, how come Crackdown 3 hasn't been announced for the XBone?
Because people are IDIOTS. Xbone could have a restriction where it doesn't work unless you're directly feeding it newborn babies every six hours and I would still buy one for CRACKDOWN

OMG CRACKDOWN

senahorse

SR3 is fine if you have an Nvidia card but bad if you have an AMD card. Not sure if that's fixed yet or not, but given THQ, I doubt it.

Nope.

Still getting sub 30fps a lot of the time when I tried a couple of weeks ago. When I build my super (NVIDIA) PC over the coming month I plan to play it then.

And that in itself really really sucks, because I really like the look of SR4 but I may be burnt out after SR3 :/

senahorse

Not sure tbh, but wait, you're saying a new driver 'may' have fixed it?

edit: 13.3 didn't fix it for me, I checked the SR3 forum where I originally saw a few weeks ago that a driver (13.3 beta) fixed it for someone, didn't do anything for me :(

Pretty ugly week for Australian sport.

The whole saga in the Australian Cricket team, Stephen Milne of St. Kilda charged with 4 counts of rape, George Burgess of Souths charged with willful vandalism, James Tamou of NQ Cowboys charged with DUI and Blake Ferguson of Canberra charged with indecent assault.

Omikron

The whole saga in the Australian Cricket team, Stephen Milne of St. Kilda charged with 4 counts of rape, George Burgess of Souths charged with willful vandalism, James Tamou of NQ Cowboys charged with DUI and Blake Ferguson of Canberra charged with indecent assault.

076401-socceroos-jordan.jpg

teekun

Which, in regards to shooting, you can fix by appending a bunch of scrap bolts onto your guns. Then you shoot just as well as Drake, somehow. And, y'know, you're still running around strangling every fucker you come across.

To be fair, he's a guy who's spent 20 years killing in order to survive. He's not a superhero, but if he wasn't already good at killing he wouldn't have lived as long as he has.

Gun crafting doesn't affect accuracy does it? I thought that was through spending pills on stat upgrades. Still gamey but it is a fucking video game, I mean come on.

wonzo

Banned

sportsculture.txt

I loved SR3. I think I may be the only one.
Nope. I played it. A LOT. The first GTA style game that I managed to finished since Vice City (not counting Bully, which I was a far smaller game and didn't try to lure me away from playing the main game with 1000 side quests and state-sized playing areas). Oh, I forgot about Just Cause 2. I played and finished that twice. Fuck it. Apart from those two games (one twice) it was the first GTA-style open-worldy game I finished since Vice City. Probably.

I liked the fact that it was constructed in a way that said "you really just wanna play this and have fun, don't you? Let's strip away the frustrations by making you overpowered and giving you new, interesting toys after each mission. Heck, in these cinematic scenes, let's remove the health bar completely, so you can't die and get frustrated. That way you'll remember this section because it was enjoyable and fun, not because you had to play it 15times and wanted to punch your cat. Hey, you're welcome, we just want you to have a lot of fun."

I will play Saints Row 4 (as long as it is of similar quality as 3).

Have a guess.
You suck?

Kritz

Banned
Still gamey but it is a fucking video game, I mean come on.

There's just a bit too much stealthing around chest high cover, a bit too many zombie shooting sections, and just... the parts I like about that game are the parts where you're just wandering around open environments, looting houses and hearing dialogue with people. And, sure, of course you need something else to keep the flow going, it's just that I always hope some game will eventually work out alternate ways to provide gameplay without the traditional "yo get some headshots" structure.

It's also kinda weird how the game feels like it should be all resource managementy, but the game seems to dynamically just give you back ammo whenever you use it. Enemies won't drop ammo even if they have a gun they've not fired, until you're below a certain threshold. Which is pretty smart gameplay design, it just feels weird to have it in this game.

Don't get me wrong, it's the best game I've played on the PS3. It tries so very hard to be interesting, and it mostly succeeds. It just makes the flaws a lot easier to spot when everything else is really good. Kinda like Bioshock Infinite.

I loved SR3. I think I may be the only one.

Was no SR2, but it was okay.

Well it's do or die for them if they want to get into the World Cup without too much of a headache, so it could be interesting.

Will turn it on and see how it goes then.

8)

Remember, 7:30 kick off live, 8:30 on SBS.

No spoilers here till 10:30 for all the fta folk. Which is probably including me tonight due to kids bed time.

Is there "anywhere else" to watch it live?

jambo

Well this is kinda cool

http://games.on.net/2013/06/screen-...ion-in-funding-to-australian-game-developers/

bmeclzL.jpg

Game development in Australia has been given a boost today with the announcement of $6 million in funding, to be divided amongst 10 Australian developers.

The $6 million is the first part of the $20 million package announced last year, to be delivered over the next three years.

The ten successful companies to receive funding were:

• Defiant Development (QLD)
  • ODD Games (SA)
  • Soap Creative (NSW)
  • Tantalus Media (VIC)
  • Tin Man Games (VIC
  • Torus Games (VIC)
  • Twiitch (VIC)
  • Uppercut Games (NSW/ACT)
  • The Voxel Agents (VIC)
  • Wicked Witch Software (VIC)

Data released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows that employment numbers in the Australian game development sector have fallen from 1431 to 581 people. Hopefully this cash injection can help to bring that number around.

Oh hey Tantalus still exist... good for them.

The meaning of bocadillo might be different in Spain. To me, the word mean's "morsel" or "snack", even "finger food".
Most places seem to have baguette style sandwiches when they're advertising bocadillos. That may just be because sliced bread isn't that common though.

4-hours into The Last of Us. I'm genuinely impressed, the narrative and atmosphere reminds me a lot of Children of Men which is a VERY good thing. The gameplay is also fun, and impressive in how Joel actually controls like a everyman unlike Nathan Drake, although like the Uncharted series, I'm not so sure if this is going lend itself to multiple playthroughs. Good thing I'm only renting it in this case, should end up being one hell of a experience.
It really is incredible. Let me know when you've finished, and we shall have talks. My favourite section is towards the end. The whole atmosphere is perfectly captured.

I really need to watch children of men, people were talking about it when we started playing.

Hey, Choc is back.
Until he steps foot in the thread, he's not back :p

3ds animalcrossing tumblr/fb/twitter connectivity is funs.

225879_533382353385084_2093878406_n.jpg

=D this is me with the sloth shop keeper
Gah! that's awesome! How do you take photos? I bought a pineapple bed.

8)

Remember, 7:30 kick off live, 8:30 on SBS.

No spoilers here till 10:30 for all the fta folk. Which is probably including me tonight due to kids bed time.

Thanks Omi :D Goodbye test study, important soccer games ahoy!

Jintor

good thing i kept these IP and Internet/ECommerce Law textbooks. Too bad there's fucking nothing out there about some kind of aussie equivalent to first sale doctrine or right of resale or god damn anything

Dead Man

good thing i kept these IP and Internet/ECommerce Law textbooks. Too bad there's fucking nothing out there about some kind of aussie equivalent to first sale doctrine or right of resale or god damn anything

Aussies aren't big on rights, just beer and sports and keeping those damn boat people out.

Arksy

I've been under a rock for a week finishing some shit before I fly overseas.

Can someone explain to me what the hell has been going on with the AFL?

I heard something on the radio about people getting sacked and a new captain and some general meetings and the AFL getting involved.

Can someone fill me in? I wasn't really paying much attention.

Top Bottom