• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

BISKETBHALL

STILL ALIVE BABY :?
:/
MAH HEART HAVIN A ATTACK AFTER THAT

Manu's game, despite that little kid Danny Green setting 3 point records.

After game 1 right the start of the finals, with the 2-3-2 format, I've been saying Miami only needed to win one of the games in SA and the championship is theirs. I'm largely unchanged on that opinion. Spurs roster is older and might not have enough gas in the tank for 6 or 7 games but then again Wade and Bosh have been disappointing.

I don't have a horse in this race - a win for either team is a good story. A Spurs win means a nice ending for their big three before they retire (despite today's effort, Manu's time is up); A Heat win means LBJ can chase a triple although with Wade on the decline, I don't think the Heat's roster will be as formidable next season. 3 losses from 4 appearances at the Finals must really sting for LeBron

This back and forth of blowouts hasn't made for the best series, but games 6 and 7 (yes, seven) will be epic

Another decent game, a game 7 would be interesting. Also it's much appreciated you guys spoiler tagging the results on my behalf.

Jintor

Yeah I did Australian IP law as an elective. It was fairly basic though. Anything I could help you with?

Just looking under s31 of the Copyright Act and I can't see that resale, gifting or non-commercial lending are covered as exclusive rights for copyright holders, so even if games are only licences I can't see that Microsoft has any bearing for what it's doing, at least in Aussie jurisdiction. Any thoughts?

Bernbaum

Far Cry 2 is bloody great.

Slow-paced, and whilst not uber-realistic, the kind of immersion it offers is unmatched in any FPS I've played (haven't touched the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games).

Being aware of and prepared for the game's noted issues has made it a more approachable game. Most notably - respawning enemy checkpoints. My only issue with that is that the game offers no real conceipt for why the checkpoints are re-manned so quickly, and why every soul in the wilderness is out to kill you. However, removal of those elements means a game with far less gunplay and where's the fun in that?

Addmitedly, I'm only 12% into the thing, but I'm sticking with this game for now.

Plus, it's visually gorgeous when run at full spec.

Another decent game, a game 7 would be interesting. Also it's much appreciated you guys spoiler tagging the results on my behalf.

Game 6 loss for the Spurs would be worth it just for the a surly post-game Greg Popovich.

Arksy

Just looking under s31 of the Copyright Act and I can't see that resale, gifting or non-commercial lending are covered as exclusive rights for copyright holders, so even if games are only licences I can't see that Microsoft has any bearing for what it's doing, at least in Aussie jurisdiction. Any thoughts?

(Disclaimer: Might be wrong)

So s 31(a) applies to LDM works (stands for literary, dramatic and musical works) while s 31(d) applies specifically to computer program.

It's worded a bit weird but s 47AB seems to imply that computer programs are literary works so they have all the exclusive rights under s 31(a) as well as s 31(d).

Jintor

Yeah, I get that, but as far as I can tell, the exclusive rights don't actually cover resale/non-commercial lending/gifting (Computer programs are literary works under both s47AB and some Apple Computers case from the 90s iirc). I guess theoretically it could be found under a class of exclusive rights? But I can't really read it into reproduction, publishing, performance or adaptation.

Arksy

Yeah, I get that, but as far as I can tell, the exclusive rights don't actually cover resale/non-commercial lending/gifting (Computer programs are literary works under both s47AB and some Apple Computers case from the 90s iirc). I guess theoretically it could be found under a class of exclusive rights? But I can't really read it into reproduction, publishing, performance or adaptation.

That Apple computers case is from the US but I suppose it would be persuasive here anyway. The way I read it is that the rights provided under s 30 are the rights that all copyright holders intrinsically have (based on their classification) but that doesn't necessarily mean that they can't contract for more rights.

That doesn't make a lot of sense though. If I sell you a used game. I have made a contract of sale with you. You don't owe the rightsholders anything except their statutorily protected exclusive rights. They're otherwise not privy to the contract between you and I. This means that EULAs are impossible to enforce on third parties. (Until they accept the EULA through install, maybe).

Jintor

I meant Computer Edge v Apple which is an Aussie case. I mean, not that it matters since the Act got amended.

Hmmm... you might be right regarding the existence of additional rights created by contract, but then does that mean they're still part of copyright? And can original copyright holders really be able to enforce restrictions on or to third parties? Hmmm.

Arksy

I meant Computer Edge v Apple which is an Aussie case. I mean, not that it matters since the Act got amended.

Hmmm... you might be right regarding the existence of additional rights created by contract, but then does that mean they're still part of copyright? And can original copyright holders really be able to enforce restrictions on or to third parties? Hmmm.

Never heard of it. Which tells you the breadth of things we covered in IP law. (To be fair we dealt a lot more with trademarks/tort of passing off/crown copyright/patents/copyrights and enforcement)

But I don't see why a copyright (A) would be able to enforce a right they agreed to with one end user (B) onto another end user (C) whom (A) sold the copyrighted work to. At best they'll only be able to enforce their exclusive rights because they're guaranteed by statute.

You can't agree in contract to confer an obligation onto a non-contracting party. That's a pretty fundamental breach of privity of contract.

Jintor

So even if games are licences (and they probably are) I don't know if Microsoft (or hell any digital distribution service) can actually legally prevent resale/borrowing/lending (technologically is another matter). Hmm. Gonna have to chase this.

Arksy

So even if games are licences (and they probably are) I don't know if Microsoft (or hell any digital distribution service) can actually legally prevent resale/borrowing/lending (technologically is another matter). Hmm. Gonna have to chase this.

The fact that they're a license is not really controversial. A license just means something that falls out of traditional established propriety rights. The problem is that we're using a really out of date piece of legislation the world has basically moved on.

The law simply breaks down sooner or later. Take a freedom of contract view. I buy a game that I agreed to never onsell. Fine. What happens if I sell it to a third party? What happens if I sell the disc to a bona fide purchaser for value without notice? The law says they take free of any encumbrances.

Jintor

The fact that they're a license is not really controversial. A license just means something that falls out of traditional established propriety rights. The problem is that we're using a really out of date piece of legislation the world has basically moved on.

The law simply breaks down sooner or later. Take a freedom of contract view. I buy a game that I agreed to never onsell. Fine. What happens if I sell it to a third party? What happens if I sell the disc to a bona fide purchaser for value without notice? The law says they take free of any encumbrances.

That would seem logical. It's almost certainly a case of a policy presumably designed for US application being just slapped into Australian jursidiction and hoping nobody catches that it doesn't actually work, legally speaking.

Arksy

That would seem logical. It's almost certainly a case of a policy presumably designed for US application being just slapped into Australian jursidiction and hoping nobody catches that it doesn't actually work, legally speaking.

Always the case with the law. The market moves to damn fast for it to catch up. Legislators will probably reform it when they see that it's not working. As annoying as it may be given my own view, services like iTunes and Steam do work quite well. It will be interesting to see the developments in the European Union.

I honestly think if you were to defeat any used game or first sale type doctrine it would be for reasons outside the Copyright Act. Whether it was using property law or consumer law or other such legislation.

THE manufacturing future of Holden will be decided in two months after it issued an ultimatum to factory workers to take a pay cut or risk shutdown.

The 1700 workers at the car assembly line in Elizabeth, South Australia and 300 at the engine plant in Port Melbourne will be asked to consider a wage cut of up to $200 per week - or not have a job beyond 2016 because Holden would be forced to shut its factories, coincidentally at the same time as Ford.

"If we don't accomplish [pay cuts in August] it is highly likely we will not make cars in this country," said Holden chairman and managing director Mike Devereux.

"We have to reduce the cost to make each car, which is too high in this country. If we keep losing money making cars, we won't be able to make cars here any more. The cost base is too high, it is unsustainable, it has to be reduced."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/busines...o-take-a-pay-cut/story-fni0d2cj-1226665581042

The fair dinkem truth or a typical corporate bait and switch? I'm more likely to believe the latter.

Danoss

Has Mike offered to take a pay cut?

When asked why senior executives would not also take a pay cut, Devereux said half of Holden's salaried workers had not received a pay rise in the past three years and were paid average wages for their respective roles.

"On average our [salaried] workers, myself included, and every executive on my team makes below average for every position that we have in our company," said Devereux. "We have been addressing executive wages for years."

Don't try too hard guys. Mentioning your pay hasn't risen but remains stable while asking others to reduce theirs by up to $10,400 per year is a dick move, to put it lightly.

Jintor

Always the case with the law. The market moves to damn fast for it to catch up. Legislators will probably reform it when they see that it's not working. As annoying as it may be given my own view, services like iTunes and Steam do work quite well. It will be interesting to see the developments in the European Union.

I honestly think if you were to defeat any used game or first sale type doctrine it would be for reasons outside the Copyright Act. Whether it was using property law or consumer law or other such legislation.

ACCC is being very cagey at the moment in response to my queries, but they seem to think (like you do, as I recall) it might impact on misrepresentation or unfair contract terms in the ACL.

Would any Melburnian's or Sydeysiders be able to recommend me a good book shop in their respective towns. A big second hand one would be amazing, but new would be ok too. Last time I was in Sydney Kinokuniya blew me away, because while there's a few awesome second hand book shops, there's no big new ones left in Brisbane. Dymocks doesn't cut it.

Also goddamn it postman hurry up and deliver my poptart already.

Where did you get poptart from?

Just so it's clear, I'm talking about the Animal Crossing 3DSXL. Does Blockbuster still sell real poptarts for way too much money? I haven't been in one for years.

Anyway I ordered it from Ozgameshop. I'm going away at the end of the week, so if it doesn't arrive by then, well, I don't want to think about it.

Hey guys, guys. We qualified for a world cup.

Qualifying on my birthday. What better present could I ask for? Oh wait I don't care about Soccer. Nevermind.

Nah seriously, nice work boys.

Picked up Power Grid and Elder Sign yesterday. Pumped to try them out.

Arksy

ACCC is being very cagey at the moment in response to my queries, but they seem to think (like you do, as I recall) it might impact on misrepresentation or unfair contract terms in the ACL.

Interesting. I'm unsurprised that the regulator is being cagey. The unfair contract terms provisions are really new and they haven't really been tested all that thoroughly.

I could see a pretty damn compelling argument as to why stopping someone selling something they've honestly bought is pretty damn unfair though. I honestly can't think of anything else in the world (off the top of my head) where you're not allowed to on-sell a product you've bought.

You could easily catch steam though. They say it's a 'subscriber agreement' but the content of the relationship isn't one of subscription. A court would have absolutely no problem striking a lot of their ToU down. Especially on the basis of misleading conduct. When you 'buy' a game it says 'purchase' not 'rent'.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/busines...o-take-a-pay-cut/story-fni0d2cj-1226665581042

The fair dinkem truth or a typical corporate bait and switch? I'm more likely to believe the latter.

I do like how they need to save money now, for something thats over 2 years away. I'd be willing to bet money that even if the workers took the paycut, they'd still close up shop by 2016. Hell probably earlier just to rub salt in the wound.

Don't try too hard guys. Mentioning your pay hasn't risen but remains stable while asking others to reduce theirs by up to $10,400 per year is a dick move, to put it lightly.

You don't get to upper management by taking paycuts.

hackdog

Banned
Just so it's clear, I'm talking about the Animal Crossing 3DSXL. Does Blockbuster still sell real poptarts for way too much money? I haven't been in one for years.

Anyway I ordered it from Ozgameshop. I'm going away at the end of the week, so if it doesn't arrive by then, well, I don't want to think about it.

You disappoint me :(

Omikron

Qualifying on my birthday. What better present could I ask for? Oh wait I don't care about Soccer. Nevermind.

Nah seriously, nice work boys.

Picked up Power Grid and Elder Sign yesterday. Pumped to try them out.

Nice pick ups, I am still yet to play Power Grid after buying it weeks ago.

No shit. If we were allowed to get hype in here we would have.

BRAZIL! GET HYPE NOW FUCKEN!

Omikron

Soccer durrrrrrrr

Brumbies beat Britain and Ireland combined in the Rugby.

Try and do that dumberoos.

Fuck off markot.

The components of Power Grid just look great. Excellent production value (except for the paper money).

Yeah, ever since buying it I have been looking at ways to replace.... saw someone link this yesterday which I thought was a good idea. http://www.artscow.com/gallery/card/power-grid-money-cards-1o28qac1ygj8

markot

Banned
Duurrrrrrrrr, we beat iraq 1-0, a soccer powerhouse that hasnt been torn apart by war. DURRRRRRRRRRR.

NEXT UP LETS TAKE ON SOMALIA!!!!!!!

Top Bottom