• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Glad to hear everything's alright death. It must have been a long night.

This is all good news. I wonder if that's a thing where they don't tell the victim who the perp is in case of potential retribution? Probably for the best in this case, if I found out who it was I don't think I'd be able to hold myself back.
I hope that's the case now. I have a family friend who hit a pedestrian 15 or so years ago, and a few months ago the guy came round and beat him and his young son up with a pipe.

Because I like keeping up with that crazy cat we all know and love, Choc, I will now be posting excerpts from his twitter so we all know his thoughts:

I for one just want Rudd to challenge this time. He really really has to this time, c'mon man. Either way, Labor still looks likely to lose the election, just less likely with Rudd.

mm, the public tend to like him a lot more anyway, and with Gillard gone people will forget about the carbon tax/ ju-liar/ backstabbing whatevers.

Choc just get back on ausgaf.

Jintor

He should have let Gillard take the fall for the election crush and then taken the position. Why take the position now and take the blame later too? Madness.

What is he even on about?

Crossbencher Bob Katter, however, says if the Labor caucus elected Kevin Rudd as leader he would provide a vote of confidence "to facilitate his election as leader".
Mr Katter - who leads Katter's Australian Party - conceded that this was not in his party's interests: "But the nation's interest leaves me no alternative but to go to this decision. To do otherwise would be to condemn Australia to a landslide election which would certainly not be in the interests of our country."
Mr Katter said the main problem was that "nobody is driving the bus".

spkatter26-20130626113127460550-620x349.jpg

elfinke

What is he even on about?

SMH said:
Crossbencher Bob Katter, however, says if the Labor caucus elected Kevin Rudd as leader he would provide a vote of confidence "to facilitate his election as leader".

That's what, I guess. Being in the New England electorate and working tangentially closely to this has meant for a pretty interesting day so far. Should make for a fun beer this afternoon!

Omikron

Meanwhile in US politics...

A Texas senator, Wendy Davis, has launched a marathon filibuster of an abortion bill that would severely restrict abortion access in the state.

If she is to be successful, Davis must talk for 13 hours, during which she will not be allowed to sit, lean or take any breaks to go to the bathroom or eat. She is only allowed to stop speaking when listening to questions.

The Democrat senator is attempting to prevent the stringent bill from reaching the desk of Texas governor Rick Perry. The bill would ban abortion at 20 weeks gestation, place limits on abortion-inducing drugs and introduce other restrictions that advocates say would close 37 of the 42 clinics that provide abortions in the state.

The Texas House version of Senate Bill 5 passed on Monday morning, after major stalling by House Democrats. Davis's filibuster began at 11.18am CDT on Tuesday. She has argued her case by reading letters from women and doctors who would be impacted by the bill and speaking with politicians from both sides of the aisle.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/25/texas-senator-wendy-davis-filibuster-abortion

Livestream - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q8Hr0O20LY

Currently 100k+ viewers.

Shaneus

Glad to hear everything's alright death. It must have been a long night.

I hope that's the case now. I have a family friend who hit a pedestrian 15 or so years ago, and a few months ago the guy came round and beat him and his young son up with a pipe.
The circumstances could work either way... something purely accidental doesn't warrant that kind of thing, but a world-class dick who's hit someone while overtaking in an emergency lane? Deserves everything that's coming to him.

The circumstances could work either way... something purely accidental doesn't warrant that kind of thing, but a world-class dick who's hit someone while overtaking in an emergency lane? Deserves everything that's coming to him.

Oh definitely. Hopefully he goes away for a long time. Still won't repair the probably permanent damage he did to Death jr's friend's body though :(

If she is to be successful, Davis must talk for 13 hours, during which she will not be allowed to sit, lean or take any breaks to go to the bathroom or eat. She is only allowed to stop speaking when listening to questions.

uhhh, why? Passing policy is based on endurance?

Jintor

Shan, that's what a fillibuster is. You speak and you speak and you speak until you procedure out of time.

It's still better than a procedural fillibuster where you can just say "I fillibuster" without actually having to fillibuster

teekun

uhhh, why? Passing policy is based on endurance?

It's a filibuster. She's been given the floor and as such cannot be interrupted or forced to concede the floor as long as she keeps speaking. If she stops, they'll vote and this draconian abortion law will pass the senate.

the way the filibuster works to defeat a bill is that there is no time limit to speak, the votes can't happen till all speakers have finished. If the speakers don't finish by the end of the session, then no vote. And then the bill has to be reintroduced in the next session.

something like that. I read it in a book about LBJ.

I'm probably oversimplifying it of course.

Jintor

the way the filibuster works to defeat a bill is that there is no time limit to speak, the votes can't happen till all speakers have finished. If the speakers don't finish by the end of the session, then no vote. And then the bill has to be reintroduced in the next session.

pretty much it in a general sense. I don't know about specifically in texas or anything, but I'd guess something like that.

teekun

That's basically it. In the US federal government, Senate filibusters can continue indefinitely until 60% of the senate votes to end it. So basically, you can no longer pass a law with just a majority vote, you need enough people on your side to end the filibuster to even get a vote to happen.

This is somewhat unique because the state of Texas has its own laws for filibuster in the State Senate where actions of a filibuster most be within strict guidelines, and any violation results in a "strike" Three strikes and the filibuster ends. This is a pure act of endurance on Wendy Davis' part, as she's prohibited from sitting, leaning, eating, and basically anything else besides talking and debating continuously for the full remaining 13 hours of the session. This was a special session that ends at midnight, so if she succeeds, the bill cannot pass this time around.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
anyone here work for / involved in PAX...

(Yug i'm looking at you!)

;_; my tickets went to the wrong address. so now i cant go to PAX as they dont want to re send them.

They should reintroduce the use of champions into politics for filibusters.
Don't like a bill? Use a marathon filibuster but get someone else to do it for you.

isoquant

I have a feeling this will fall apart.

Rudd doesn't have the numbers. He's never had the numbers. This is a last ditch attempt to make something happen because none of the front bench team isn't willing to take the initiative to move against Gillard. If I recall correctly, Rudd is heading overseas tomorrow.

Watching Gillard in QT just reminds you how talented a performer she is. In many ways will be sad to see her go like this.

I have a feeling this will fall apart.

Rudd doesn't have the numbers. He's never had the numbers. This is a last ditch attempt to make something happen because none of the front bench team isn't willing to take the initiative to move against Gillard. If I recall correctly, Rudd is heading overseas tomorrow.

Watching Gillard in QT just reminds you how talented a performer she is. In many ways will be sad to see her go like this.

I wouldn't say that. Every journo and analyst on twitter is saying that Rudd has the numbers easily and he knows it, that's why he's moved now. Doing this on Origin night is not a coincidence.

isoquant

I wouldn't say that. Every journo and analyst on twitter is saying that Rudd has the numbers easily and he knows it, that's why he's moved now. Doing this on Origin night is not a coincidence.

But that's what everyone thought last time... And the movement against Gillard couldn't even get over the first hurdle - Rudd wouldn't stand because he realised he had no supporters.

Rudd also moved against Gillard last year, and got absolutely crushed.

lexi

Banned
This is pure stupidity. If Rudd challenges and wins why wouldn't these dumbfucks have done this months ago? They've left this so late in the game that it's nothing but a farce now.

Jintor

this fillibuster is amazing. Crowd going wild to try and tie up the final 13 minutes before the vote goes through since the houes president isn't playing by the rules (or maybe he is or some shit, I don't know)

isoquant

This is pure stupidity. If Rudd challenges and wins why wouldn't these dumbfucks have done this months ago? They've left this so late in the game that it's nothing but a farce now.

Staring down the barrel of a gun tends to make people act a little crazy.

isoquant

this fillibuster is amazing. Crowd going wild to try and tie up the final 13 minutes before the vote goes through since the houes president isn't playing by the rules (or maybe he is or some shit, I don't know)

What's happening? Looks brilliant. I just tuned in now.

I went on HuffPo an hour ago and they said it had been shut down!

Jintor

What's happening? Looks brilliant. I just tuned in now.

I went on HuffPo an hour ago and they said it had been shut down!

Wendy got stopped by a third strike rule, but then a fellow dem appealed it, they argued about that for an hour, he got arbitrarily cut off, the dude at the top there attempted to call the vote, a senator made a hella remark and the crowd has been cheering for 10 minutes straight at this point attempting to buy time because if this hits... another couple of minutes it passes the procedural mark.

I think. It's pretty difficult to follow right now.

wonzo

Banned
A lot of Journo's said that the last time and the time before that too…

Still, I hope they're right for once and Rudd returns as PM as he's the only hope Labor currently has at stopping a conservative government gaining a majority in both houses.

Just found out about DeathJr's friend. I'm glad he did better overnight. All that stuff he went through on top of this is more than any one person deserves.

Patton Oswalt fillibuster is best buster.
Cato the Younger filibuster where he got forcibly dragged out of the senate house still talking beats it, in my opinion. Cato the Younger was still a colossal douchebag, but the man had courage.

But the vote will be tomorrow if it happens. So Origin won't be an issue then. QT is going off at the moment.

Hey Cod, Another World on Android for $1.40

$1 for one month of Xbox Live Gold for Silver members. Sign up, get your free Fable 3 for keeps, download Halo 3 for free next month, cancel subscription before month is up.

The Hobbit PART 1 3D/2D/BLURAY/UV/CASE/COVER for $16 at JB Hifi, $1 postage or pickup

Runtastic Pedometer Free on Android with code APPOFTHEDAY entered in the settings of the free version. Not sure of its use over the usual Runtastic though...
On that note what app is everyone using for their exercise!

Thanks for your wishes and prayers guys, much appreciated. He did well overnight and docs operated this morning, successfully clamping the internal bleeding. Now he's going back into surgery for his leg.

I'm going to tow yard now to have a look at his car and get pictures for insurance. It's a total write off according to the cops. On the positive side, work safe will be compensating him for the weeks of work he will lose, and Medicare should cover most of the hospital bill, if not all.

The cops are still not telling us anything about the other driver, they said they have him and are investigating further.
Good to hear!

Cops are probably keeping quiet until they have all the paperwork in order to charge the driver with whatever comes out of your friends accident. Along with suppressing his identity for safety reasons of course.

Mr Katter - who leads Katter's Australian Party - conceded that this was not in his party's interests: "But the nation's interest leaves me no alternative but to go to this decision. To do otherwise would be to condemn Australia to a landslide election which would certainly not be in the interests of our country."
Mr Katter said the main problem was that "nobody is driving the bus".
Wut. He couldn't have said that, it's much too noble.

He should have let Gillard take the fall for the election crush and then taken the position. Why take the position now and take the blame later too? Madness.
Yeah that was my expectation too. Come out the other side of the election as the only real leader in the party to remain on top of his game, clear out the chaff of the party ashes and rebuild on a platform of KRUDD IS KGREAT 2016

Top Bottom