• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Tipsy angry and fired up.

Rep posting my fb status eheree

Last time a scandal rocked essendons captain, brownlow medalist and relative of one of essendons greatest players he had perhaps his greatest ever game against the west coast eagles.

Tonight it's your turn.

HUG HIM JOBEY

markot

Banned
Australia's Mark Webber announces he will retire from Formula One racing at the end of the season.
Australia's Mark Webber announces he will retire from Formula One racing at the end of the season.

Original 3DS + 1 Game (Download) for $169 @ Kmart

Original 3DS (Unsure what colors but Red and Pink were the ones advertised)

Plus 1 of the following 7 games as an e-shop download.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Nintendogs
Super Mario 3D Land
Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon
Mario Kart 7
New Super Mario Bros. 2

Shaneus

FMkO9ksl.jpg

Thanks for making the sport moderately interesting, big guy.

I think it was originally $51 but went up a few dollars in price. Mine was sent last Thursday, no idea where it actually came from but it's a european copy, I am in Brisbane so you may get it sooner.

Cheers for the info. My last VideoEzy order came from QLD, and one before that from SA.

Bernbaum

Ah F1. Don't really know much about F1.

Apparently I'm going to the F1 in Singapore. Is that a good F1 to go to? I don't know why I'm going, I just really like flying places and getting drunk there. Apparently the F1 in Singapore is a good reason to get drunk. Me and a bunch of other overpaid teenagers aka 'Oil and Gas cunts' will be flying there from various parts of the world, because that's our hobby: spending too much money to fly to a place just to get drunk there. Me from Brisbane, old mate from Perth, old Mate from Norway, and other old mate from Scotland. Usually I get fridge magnet as a souvenir.

Is the F1 guy that looks like Harvey Dent's chin going to the Singapore F1?

Apparently I'm going to the F1 in Singapore. Is that a good F1 to go to? I don't know why I'm going, I just really like flying places and getting drunk there. Apparently the F1 in Singapore is a good reason to get drunk. Me and a bunch of other overpaid teenagers aka 'Oil and Gas cunts' will be flying there from various parts of the world, because that's our hobby: spending too much money to fly to a place just to get drunk there. Me from Brisbane, old mate from Perth, old Mate from Norway, and other old mate from Scotland. Usually I get fridge magnet as a souvenir.

That would be pretty awesome.

I really need a better paying job. For that fact better friends, it's hard enough getting together and we live 30mins from each other.

Shaneus

Sale alert: PSN has a bunch of stuff for cheap, including this little fucker. On that note, is Crash Team Racing supposed to be good? I thought I'd heard it was, but I dunno, memory ain't what she used to be.

Singapore would be pretty rad. For starters, Singapore itself is supposed to be a pretty good place for tourists who like to splash money around, plus the actual race, whilst not being zomg amazing, is at night and completely under lights... so at least it's interesting and unique in that aspect.

Are you going in 2014?

Danoss

Why did I google? Why do they call it a Prince Albert? Wait....maybe don't tell me...

Hahaha! I'm sure some may wish I didn't write about that in the first place, also that I didn't continue this further. I will, but it won't be unpleasant to read on.

My understanding is that no one really knows why it's called a Prince Albert. The story goes that Prince Albert was very well endowed and created the piercing so that he could tie his manhood to his leg. This would allow smooth and clean lines when wearing close-fit tailored clothing. There is no evidence of this whatsoever, and so it remains a story.

Shaneus

I'm not a big one for spruiking stuff in threads, but I think this actually deserves it:

A guy on another forum I visit is developing a game with two other guys and hasn't had the easiest of times getting media coverage... actually, I'll just post what he wrote, better than me trying to paraphrase it:

Haven't really posted here much over the last few years, or anywhere really. In February this year I quit my job, took a long hard look at my savings, and decided to try out being an independent developer for the rest of the year.

I formed a team with two guys I used to work and we began work on our first game together, Assault Android Cactus!

It's a twin stick shoot 'em up hybrid, heavily inspired by our love of arcade classics and Dreamcast era aesthetics along with the more modern Cave shooters. Our major points of difference are dynamic arenas, bullet-hell style attacks, and a battery timer system that forces you to play aggressively rather than retreating endlessly.

This year was rough, making games is hard and making them on a shoestring budget is significantly harder since every decision could cut or add a months development time (Why bother applying for an E3 or PAX booth if you can't afford it etc). Without media contacts we've been mostly ignored by established journalists and have had to do a sort of crash course in PR by contacting every on-line personality we could find, thankfully the response people have when actually playing the game has been beyond what I could have hoped for and that's driving a lot of interest.

It's going to be ridiculous in the second half of the year as we try to finish the game, but I still believe it was the right decision and will be putting everything in to this game. Sometimes I look at Cactus and literally cannot believe that 3 people can do this on their own, the world has changed so much since I first started tinkering with development on the commodore 64.

Honestly not sure why I'm posting this or making it sound like a bit of a story, I just found myself browsing this forum before going to bed and thought why not let the old group see what I've been up to. Suppose I'll finish with a few links you can check out if you want to learn more about the game, or help us get through the damn greenlight process!

Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=134153777
Dev Blog: http://www.assaultandroidcactus.com/
My favourite screenshot showing Robotech inspired weaponry:
assaultandroidcactus_b_16.jpg
Total Biscuit look at Android Assault Cactus
Another YT mini-review thingy of AAC
Obviously, any assistance with up-votes on Greenlight would be vaulable as well, I'd guess.

But you folk who work in the gaming media/press who like to cover this kinda stuff (I'm eyeballing you, EC. And Serrels too... I know he's watching), I hope you give it a good look-in. The TB preview gives it a pretty good rap at this stage of development and you get a good idea of what it's like. FWIW I wouldn't be trying to promote something that I didn't think looked fucking awesome, so that must say something ;)

Sale alert: PSN has a bunch of stuff for cheap, including this little fucker. On that note, is Crash Team Racing supposed to be good? I thought I'd heard it was, but I dunno, memory ain't what she used to be.

I only ever hear good things about CTR, but haven't played it myself 'cause I was never really into Crash Bandicoot. Thinking about grabbing the Spyro Trilogy for that price.

Anyone that doesn't already have Symphony of the Night in some form or other really ought to get it.

Hah, DSE. You'd be lucky to find any stock in their stores.

what about the s4?
how does wireless chargey work anyway
can i put 3 phones on it at once

No, there are larger mats that can be used for multiple phones, max I've seen is 2. But this one is for a single phone. Samsung phones aren't compatible outright, you have to buy a separate receiver for each model. Out of the box, this wireless charger works with Lumia 920, Nexus 4 and HTC 8X afaik.

There's a cheaper option from ebay, $23.5 delivered but from Hong Kong.

I'm not a big one for spruiking stuff in threads, but I think this actually deserves it:

A guy on another forum I visit is developing a game with two other guys and hasn't had the easiest of times getting media coverage... actually, I'll just post what he wrote, better than me trying to paraphrase it:

Obviously, any assistance with up-votes on Greenlight would be vaulable as well, I'd guess.

But you folk who work in the gaming media/press who like to cover this kinda stuff (I'm eyeballing you, EC. And Serrels too... I know he's watching), I hope you give it a good look-in. The TB preview gives it a pretty good rap at this stage of development and you get a good idea of what it's like. FWIW I wouldn't be trying to promote something that I didn't think looked fucking awesome, so that must say something ;)

i'll be keeping an eye on this, looks unreal!!

Played Gemini Rue (PC), League of Evil (Android) and Another World (Android) on the fast train. Am now going to hunt for beer in Barcelona.

Paz

i'll be keeping an eye on this, looks unreal!!

You're all a bit too nice around here :)

I rarely post here, or at the place where Shaneus found my ramblings but I guess I should make more of an effort if people are going to make them on my behalf!

Just a heads up if anyone is going to AVCon, the game will be playable at the indie game room there, a fantastic group is organising that and all we have to do is fly a team member down with some equipment.

Cheaper pre-orders cunts

Batman Arkham Origins $37.50
Civilization V: Brave New World $20.25
Dark $25.50
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara $11.25
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn $22.50
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Digital Collector's Edition $37.50
Jack Keane $6.00
Magrunner: Dark Pulse $15.00
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition $22.50
Moto GP 2013 $30.00
Pro Cycling Manager 2013 $30.00
Ride to Hell $22.50
Saints Row IV $37.50
Total War: Rome II $45.00

Danoss

Oh shit, I almost forgot! I saw on twitter that 13th Age was requested to have a presence at PAX Aus and they're on the hunt for GMs.

For those not familiar, 13th Age is a new d20 based fantasy RPG designed by both lead designer of D&D 3rd edition, Jonathan Tweet, and lead designer of D&D 4th edition (the current one), Rob Heinsoo. The result is an awesome evolution of D&D that D&D Next wishes it could be. It's more story driven and your character can have a much greater impact on, and interaction with, the world at large.

The classes of Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer and Wizard await you. The additional classes added in the next book they're about to start working on, 13 True Ways, sound amazing and I cannot wait to play them (or throw challenges at them as GM). How does 'Chaos Shaman' not sound like the most awesome class ever?

If you like D&D or the idea of it and you'll be at PAX, go and check out 13th Age if it is indeed on show, you'll be glad you did.

If you don't get the chance to or won't be at PAX, I'll probably run it at some point in the future. I have the final PDF and it looks rad, the finished book should be shipped out sometime in August (with my name in the credits :) ).

Edit: Funny timing, they just released a video from the press showing the final binding process happening. Here it is if anyone is interested. I have many Pelgrane books and my word the books are of excellent quality. Can't wait for it to arrive as well as a couple of other Pelgrane books I have pre-ordered.

Success: Had eight Spanish craft beers (and a vegan burger). Also went to a massive supermarket that makes sushi and cooks stir fries to order.

Gazunta

Just wanted to post and say this looks totally right up my alley and I can't wait to buy and play it.

If the game's several months away from completion, I wouldn't be stressing too much about getting press coverage just yet. Just keep making the game, showing it off where you can, but wait until it's mostly ready before giving it the push. There's only so many 'we're halfway done and so much left to add!' projects out there that journos can cover.

Clipper

What's a good site to get retail US PS3 games from? I want to get Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection. Amazon shipping is $18 and Play-Asia has it priced for $10 more.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca looks pretty good? $10 shipping.

They're all reputable, but Amazon has the fastest shipping.

What I suggest doing is that if there are any games you are planning to buy at launch that aren't yet out, use Amazon and buy a bunch of games (including the pre-orders) in one order. Then choose Courier shipping. Courier shipping is $29 for the first item and $3 for every additional item, so if you are getting more than 3 items, you have extremely fast courier shipping at $5-$10 per item. Each will ship as it releases and each will arrive 2-3 days after it ships. It really works out well, provided you can group a bunch of purchases into one order.

Shaneus

Just wanted to post and say this looks totally right up my alley and I can't wait to buy and play it.

If the game's several months away from completion, I wouldn't be stressing too much about getting press coverage just yet. Just keep making the game, showing it off where you can, but wait until it's mostly ready before giving it the push. There's only so many 'we're halfway done and so much left to add!' projects out there that journos can cover.
Thanks a lot for that, do appreciate it! I'll be sure to pass that onto him, I don't know if the guy will be keeping an eye on this thread or not. I suspect it's more a "build a media coverage base... thing... prior to launch so that come launch, heaps of places are aware" kinda thing, but that's only a guess because obviously I have no idea how this fickle industry works.

I'm very much in the same boat. It looks like a bullet-hell anime-ish version of Smash TV with dynamic environments that also supports up to four players. What is there not to like?!?

On this other forum, someone brought up a good point as well... that they've decided to use non-sexualised female (admittedly android) characters in all the main roles, without calling attention to it in the slightest. Doesn't seem like an easy thing to do these days.

PS. Think my favourite character there is Starch. Speculation on one of the YT video comments sections speculated the character was tired from being overloaded on carby, starchy foods :lol

Edit: This is too perfect. From that roguelite thread I posted earlier:
iGpiFkS9jxxrN.gif

(Full game is out now, $15 I think)

Rahk

They're all reputable, but Amazon has the fastest shipping.

What I suggest doing is that if there are any games you are planning to buy at launch that aren't yet out, use Amazon and buy a bunch of games (including the pre-orders) in one order. Then choose Courier shipping. Courier shipping is $29 for the first item and $3 for every additional item, so if you are getting more than 3 items, you have extremely fast courier shipping at $5-$10 per item. Each will ship as it releases and each will arrive 2-3 days after it ships. It really works out well, provided you can group a bunch of purchases into one order.
Yeah, videogamesplus are expensive when you add more than one game.

I'll probably just order a few from Amazon.

Fredescu

This should be an obvious question, but can I use a modem/router just as a router? Like connect to my existing internet and plug stuff into it?

You mean as a switch? Not all of them can, you'd need to see if it can support it. A lot of modem/routers have "repeater mode" which would probably do what you're looking for.

Gazunta

GO TEAM BEIGE

C64_open2.jpg

Hey on another topic - what's the deal with Amazon and shipping of video games to Australia? It's been a long time since I've done it...

You mean as a switch? Not all of them can, you'd need to see if it can support it. A lot of modem/routers have "repeater mode" which would probably do what you're looking for.

I...don't....know.... I'm trying to set up a second lounge room with an old computer as a media hub and (currently broken) 360 in it. I don't want to run a half dozen cables through my house, but neither of them have wireless adaptors. Do I need a switch rather than a router? I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE INTERNET APPARENTLY

Top Bottom