• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Jintor

So cheap but I don't know if I would play it.

Leaning towards XCOM but I only bought Hitman the other day. Dammit, the Steam sale hasn't even started yet.

if you're gonna xcom the amazon sale for civ iv complete, civ v gold and xcom for twenty dollars is still avaaailaableee

SHAN DEEK you're running japanese AC's right? I wanna see tanabata

if you're gonna xcom the amazon sale for civ iv complete, civ v gold and xcom for twenty dollars is still avaaailaableee

Thanks for the heads up. I've got the Civs already. I might chicken out altogether and wait for Steam sale in case there is a game I want more in that.

Shaneus

So, this is fucking ridiculous. Having speed problems during peak times where I'm lucky to get over 1MB/s (that's ~9mbit/s) on my 100mbit connection. Was waiting until 5/7 to hear a status update, and this is what greets me:
pWd9qHk.png

Seems that until the end of October, I'll have ADSL1 speeds on my cable connection with no explanation why (they say they need a backhaul upgrade, but it doesn't explain the sudden dropoff... it would've been gradual if it was a capacity thing I'd have thought) other than a "deal with it"-type scenario.

Only started happening since they migrated TransACT users over to iiNet, funnily enough.

Shaneus, Heard anything about the RadeonPro 2.0 release?
I haven't been keeping up to date, but every time I check I can never really see what the latest beta is or any mention of a date for RP2.0. My guess would be that it'll come out when the Catalyst update that fixes the frame pacing issue (that causes micro-stutter). That's supposed to be out at the end of this month, but I'm hoping that we get a leak from asder any day now!

Jintor

Thanks for the heads up. I've got the Civs already. I might chicken out altogether and wait for Steam sale in case there is a game I want more in that.

I know it's unlikely considering it's already on pre-release 10% off sale, but I can't help but wait to see if Civ V Brave New World goes on Steam summer sale. Worst worst though I'll pick up Gods and Kings...

Why would anyone buy Civ IV/V/X-Com when a competing product offers Ulala and Faux Bruce Willis?

because it's devoid of tactical importance

fun as balls though

Seems that until the end of October, I'll have ADSL1 speeds on my cable connection with no explanation why (they say they need a backhaul upgrade, but it doesn't explain the sudden dropoff... it would've been gradual if it was a capacity thing I'd have thought) other than a "deal with it"-type scenario.

That's what you get for boasting about your internet speeds.

Getting UPnP video streaming to work on an iPad is a nightmare, just so you guys know. I've tried two different players and both have unacceptable loading times.

Goodplayer plays video (but not natively - only when transcoded by VLC) but no sound.

nPlayer plays sound, but no video.

>:-(

My other option is to try Plex instead of PS3 Media Server, but does that play nice with a PS3?

jambo

Getting UPnP video streaming to work on an iPad is a nightmare, just so you guys know. I've tried two different players and both have unacceptable loading times.

Goodplayer plays video (but not natively - only when transcoded by VLC) but no sound.

nPlayer plays sound, but no video.

>:-(

GoodPlayer is a shadow of it's former self.

Seems they were using a lot of technology without licencing or rights so they kept getting in trouble and removing things with patches.

It probably won't survive sub-editing.

I wouldn'tve thought "balls" was too crude for Hyper. It has been some time since I read, though.

Unless it's instead the stance that "fun as balls" has no place in a game review, which isn't something I'dve expected from Hyper either.

GoodPlayer is a shadow of it's former self.

Seems they were using a lot of technology without licencing or rights so they kept getting in trouble and removing things with patches.
*sigh*

So basically what you're saying is that to get video streaming working on an iPad, I have to jailbreak it? I've already shelled out $8.50 on apps.

Jintor

I wouldn'tve thought "balls" was too crude for Hyper. It has been some time since I read, though.

Unless it's instead the stance that "fun as balls" has no place in a game review, which isn't something I'dve expected from Hyper either.

Well, it wouldn't survive my subediting. I don't really like the dudebro attitude in a mag. Forums is fine, but elsewhere is a bit much.

whoa good thing you told me, otherwise i wouldn't have checked

I'm gonna go shower and then I'll yell at you to open your gate. Are you on my friends list? Quote for FC

Deeku

I'm gonna go shower and then I'll yell at you to open your gate. Are you on my friends list? Quote for FC
i've had you added since forever..

i'm open, but i kinda might be heading out soonish so hurry

email quote

also you just get a thing, nothing special going on

Shaneus

Hey, do any of those titles on sale at GMG stack with any discount vouchers? I see they have a 10% off one, but if there's more, then obviously I'd use that.

BTW I don't think anyone answered me when I asked what the best Worms title was. Now they're all on sale, the question is relevant again. Woo!

QUOTE=DeathJr;68670261]That's what you get for boasting about your internet speeds.[/QUOTE]
But I offered to download things for people, burn them to a disc and post it to them if it was going to be quicker! I wasn't being sarcastic, honest!

markot

Banned
Will I feel the online gaming degradation from whence I go from wired to wireless?

Transact and iinet are terrible.

markot

Banned
They need a 'stop being little bitches' ordinance for animal crossing. Also why can't you have more then one at a time? It's this games hm move .

Deeku

woo, dad lugged my ps3 slim over from oz, best dad ever. now i just need bioshock, last of us, and probably an hdmi cable and im all set for next weekend!

Shaneus

Earthworms Jim
8OIHkA0.gif

Groovy!

Side note: I can remember vividly where and when I bought EWJ for the MD. Picked it up at World 4 Kids in Geelong (there's an Officeworks there now) and it came with a free controller (it was a clear/purplish POS with turbo switches) and I bought it some time over the Christmas holidays. Such an amazing game, that.
Edit: Pretty sure it was solely because of this:
p4pLrpzl.jpg

(from here, which I guess is rlan's site?)
PS. Hatton = God-tier cover artist.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So I've just gone thru all 48 houses in my hh acadamy for animal crossing I picked up today at comicon.

I'm rather depressed. Not one person with every room or more than one fully expanded room... and most houses were on average main room half or full expansion and either 2 other rooms with only one partly expanded. or 3 rooms with no expansions...

Wthat the he'll are poepople going to think of me when they check my house ;_;

Jintor

So I've just gone thru all 48 houses in my hh acadamy for animal crossing I picked up today at comicon.

I'm rather depressed. Not one person with every room or more than one fully expanded room... and most houses were on average main room half or full expansion and either 2 other rooms with only one partly expanded. or 3 rooms with no expansions...

Wthat the he'll are poepople going to think of me when they check my house ;_;

lol

Jintor

Like ugh.

Least I finished my rococo, robot and space sets tho thanks to a small number of people who aren't shit at the game

haha. I haven't streetpassed anyone with stairs yet.

I'm really annoyed because it's becoming increasingly obvious that I'm going to have to get this 3DS repaired. The shoulder buttons are just fucked. Fuuuuuuuuucked.

Groovy!

Side note: I can remember vividly where and when I bought EWJ for the MD. Picked it up at World 4 Kids in Geelong (there's an Officeworks there now) and it came with a free controller (it was a clear/purplish POS with turbo switches) and I bought it some time over the Christmas holidays. Such an amazing game, that.
Edit: Pretty sure it was solely because of this:
http://i.imgur.com/p4pLrpzl.jpg[IMG]
(from [url=http://oldgamemags.tumblr.com/post/52218688802/hyper-magazine-issue-11-october-1994-earthworm]here[/url], which I guess is rlan's site?)
PS. Hatton = God-tier cover artist.[/QUOTE]

I never actually owned Earthworm Jim when it was new, just played a demo or shareware version or some shit on PC (though I own it now, having got it later on). First heard about the game from a friend at school whose brother was renting it for their MD.

Then came the cartoon which is so much better than the games it isn't even funny.

Encountered actual rain for the first time since the end of May today. The sky went dark, it rained and thundered a bit and we got a little wet. All over now though.

Sleeper cabins in the overnight train from Venice to Munich are all booked out on the train next week. Due to bad experiences in shared sleeping spaces on trains we will have to find another way to make the journey. Looks like there's direct flights so that'll do. Alternatively we can take a train, stop somewhere overnight and move on the next morning. We'll figure something out.

I played 10000000 a lot today.

people who aren't shit at the game
Normal people don't play Animal Crossing to complete it. They play it every now and then because it's charming and fun.

Shaneus

I never actually owned Earthworm Jim when it was new, just played a demo or shareware version or some shit on PC (though I own it now, having got it later on). First heard about the game from a friend at school whose brother was renting it for their MD.

Then came the cartoon which is so much better than the games it isn't even funny.
You didn't enjoy the game at the age you were supposed to. You wouldn't say that if you did :p Having said that, I haven't seen said cartoon... but I think you underestimate just how ahead of the pack it was at the time.

Deeku

man i really wana visit some of yo towns, im actually really really annoyed that jint kept error-ing cos i thought i'd fixed it:/

You didn't enjoy the game at the age you were supposed to. You wouldn't say that if you did :p Having said that, I haven't seen said cartoon... but I think you underestimate just how ahead of the pack it was at the time.

I played the game (or rather, the demo/shareware of it) when it was new. I was like 8 at the time. I thought it was decent enough.

It's clear that the problem is with you having not watched the show. You need to duck down to JB Hifi and remedy this. There's nothing wrong with the game, the show is simply streets ahead.

haha. I haven't streetpassed anyone with stairs yet.

I'm really annoyed because it's becoming increasingly obvious that I'm going to have to get this 3DS repaired. The shoulder buttons are just fucked. Fuuuuuuuuucked.
Is it possible you just need to blow on them to clear out the grit on the contacts? The DS Lite had this same issue, but it was easily fixed.

senahorse

I won't pretend to remember to list them all, maybe I should, but you can't pretend that shutting down via mouse isn't more annoying than it was before. Move to the corner, wait a bit, click a cog thing. What the hell? Who does that make sense to? Maybe the start menu is old news but there was no delay when you clicked it. Also you can't log off from the same place that you shut down. Why exactly? Why not just put it there? Most people I know have to google how to log out of Server 2012.

That was one of the early annoyances I had with it, and initially I created a shortcut and put it on the taskbar, now I just alt+f4 to shutdown (hibernate).

Windows 8 is a confusing mess for consumers. I can buy apps from the store? Cool. Wait, why is it fullscreen only? Since when have simple applications like PDF readers been fullscreen only? Why is the default PDF reader out of the box full screen only? The whole point of Windows was to take us away from full screen only applications. So I don't need a start menu, but why does app searching have to take up the whole screen? The whole two screens if I have dual monitors? Do I need to give some more examples as to why end users find this shit confusing?

The PDF app is garbage, I just did what I had to do with Windows 7, install adobe reader. I don't have issues with the App screen taking the full screen, after all, that's where my attention is focused, may as well make the icons bigger so I find what I am looking for quicker (visual person here). You don't need to give anymore examples, I don't have these issues, and I was never talking about generic "end user" I was talking about the consumer that matters, I was talking about myself, me.

edit: just asked my gf the question about windows 8

are there any issues you have with windows 8 over windows 7?
Sent at 8:14 AM on Monday
gf: Only one tiny thing, and that's that when you do the search (windows key -> type in what you're looking for) it separates the results into categories (programs, setttings etc).
Which apparently they fix in 8.1
But other than that, no, not a thing.

*shrug* I guess we're not 'typical' users but we're both happy with it, and that's what matters the most

Windows 8 isn't an improvement over Win7 for me. Reinstalled Win7 until I am forced to move to Windows 8.

The wife is finally up to speed on Windows 7 so changing again would be a disaster!

Top Bottom