• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Fredescu

At least you guys aren't being jerks about it, some people act like you're second class citizens when you opt to not have kids, I felt that it was a case of them having to struggle through it so you should too. The way I see it, if your heart isn't in it, it's probably best not to have kids anyway.

You're definitely right about the last sentence, so don't take this as me trying to change your mind or anything, but in the first part there's definitely a misunderstanding. I don't blame you for it either because I didn't understand it until I experienced it. The other side of the "struggle" you mention was never really sufficiently explained to me, so I'll try to now.

Kids are a socially acceptable drug. I'm completely serious.

The emotions they make you feel are things you've never felt before and never imagined you'd experience. Just like your first time being drunk or whatever. I think out of all the things I'd read about parenting, this was the one thing that no one seems to spend much time on, and gets lost amongst all the tips for dealing with excrement and no sleep. We've evolved to protect and love our kids and they trigger, somewhere in the complexity of all our meat and electricity, some crazy new emotions. It's amazing. Do you think these legions of parents are all really "struggling" all the time? No! Why? They're high!

Along with the highs, come similar lows to drug addiction. Most of your free time goes towards maintaining them. You become much more unreliable at work and your career progression slows. Your relationships with other people suffer. You lower your standards for your own appearance (from "Have I worn this?" to "Does this have slobber on it?" to "Which one of these has the least slobber on it?"). You become tired and irritable a lot. You get all sorts of unsolicited advice from people with no experience in managing them/it, including occasional public shaming.

There are two key differences between kids and drugs though:

1) With kids, the highs keep getting better, while the lows fade away. The opposite tends to be true for drugs.
2) Kids are socially acceptable.

It's perfectly acceptable to turn up to work tired and not completely with it because your kids kept you up all night. Imagine turning up to a meeting a few minutes late and saying "Sorry guys, shouldn't have had that fifth bong last night." Yet, if you say "sorry guys, junior is teething and was up all night" it's all backslaps and "I remember that! Wait until they're <whatever age your kid is at +2>, then it's worse!"

All in all it's been a pretty amazing life experience for me, and it's only just started. I don't deny that there are people that decide not to have kids for good reasons. Perhaps at least some of those people don't have the right impression of parenting to begin with, so I'm just posting on the off chance...

TLDR: Kids get you high like a drug and I'm not even kidding.

After what you've said, it sounds like they might just like taking children in order to get high off of them.

Also, different kids probably give you different buzzes.

legend166

I don't know why I didn't know this before, but I just found out that they are showing the Ashes on GEM as well as Foxtel.

This means I can watch it in my room.

Guys.

Guys.

Rezbit

I have some advice for male ausgaf. If you are ever asked to be a mates best man run for the hills.

You have all been warned.

I dunno, I felt pretty damn honoured to be asked! I also had heaps of help from the other groomsmen so it was all good. It is pretty nerve-wracking though.

Dead Man post more. I seen you, seen you posting in other threads. Cheating on us!

While this was quite the tangent, it's something I've wanted to get off my chest for some time.

I forgive you Danoss.
Stay classy retailers.
Details! What was he doing?

Also, thanks MWave, I was about to spend $1900 on a motherboard. Luckily you suggested otherwise.

pqEFfeo.jpg

Also she just got her final mark, and graduates with a perfect GPA, 24 x High Distinctions, so proud :D

Damnnn
What's her degree?

Dead Man

Dead Man post more. I seen you, seen you posting in other threads. Cheating on us!
I've been trying to cut down on my GAF posting, and trying to not spend so much time in AusGAF, I wanted to get out of the top ten posters. But everyone seems to have more of a life than me. :/

Ventron

I've been trying to cut down on my GAF posting, and trying to not spend so much time in AusGAF, I wanted to get out of the top ten posters. But everyone seems to have more of a life than me. :/

Don't worry, I spend a ton of time on AusGAF. I just never post because I have nothing to say :/

legend166

So, um, does anyone think that handing 50% of the voting power for who should be Prime Minister to non-elected members of a political party (i.e. the most annoying people. Seriously, any time you meet someone actually keen enough to join one of the major parties, they are pretty annoying) to be really stupid?

markot

Banned
So, um, does anyone think that handing 50% of the voting power for who should be Prime Minister to non-elected members of a political party (i.e. the most annoying people. Seriously, any time you meet someone actually keen enough to join one of the major parties, they are pretty annoying) to be really stupid?

Yep.

Dead Man

Make me, Hitler.
Come here and say that.

I think each party should elect it's leader in the way they choose. As long as they don't change it between the start of a campaign and the end, people can factor that into their choice. I think there is merit in all members of a party having a say in the leader, it is like the country as a whole, it's not up to the elected reps to decide who the winner of the election is.

Don't worry, I spend a ton of time on AusGAF. I just never post because I have nothing to say :/

Yeah, that doesn't seem to stop me, LOL.

jambo

I used to post a lot on weekends, but over the past year or so I've been doing more and more stuff with friends and family. If I actually am home then I'll play actually play games instead of talking about them =P

Dead Man

You dont vote for a leader of a party, you vote for your member.

MEMBERRRR

Stop presidentialising our politics.
Umm... that's what I was getting at.
I used to post a lot on weekends, but over the past year or so I've been doing more and more stuff with friends and family. If I actually am home then I'll play actually play games instead of talking about them =P
Yeah, being single with most of my friends being interstate has really destroyed my social life.

That ship has sailed. The ALP just changed their leader and got 15% of the vote back.
There's a certain amount of truth to the notion that the leader sets the tone for their team and has considerable clout in terms of setting the policy agenda. It's not like the leader of the party doesn't matter.

See also: Tony Abbott.

Fredescu

Most of the power seems to be held by internal factional groups. The mess of ALPs internal politics is why Rudds idea is a good one for the ALP. Whether it's a good idea overall, I don't know.

Don't forget that you live in Warrnambool.
Yeah but people think Warrnambool is nice and cruisy and by the beach. On the surface it's a nice place. Once you stick around and actually sit down and breath in the crackwhores it starts to stink of fraud, child abuse and publicly flaunted drug addictions.

It's perfectly acceptable to turn up to work tired and not completely with it because your kids kept you up all night. Imagine turning up to a meeting a few minutes late and saying "Sorry guys, shouldn't have had that fifth bong last night." Yet, if you say "sorry guys, junior is teething and was up all night" it's all backslaps and "I remember that! Wait until they're <whatever age your kid is at +2>, then it's worse!"
Fuck yes it is.
The wife gets a migrane? Whelp I gotta stay home and make sure the boy doesn't huff paint.
Wife has to go to a funeral? Whelp I gotta stay home and make sure the boy doesn't put the cat up his butt.
No sleep for a week? Sleep at the desk during work!
House covered in diarrhea? Sleep at home during work!

I don't know why I didn't know this before, but I just found out that they are showing the Ashes on GEM as well as Foxtel.

This means I can watch it in my room.

Guys.

Guys.
So fucking happy. HD fucking Cricket. FINALLY.

Agreed it was nice to be asked. Just organising the bucks is an absolute pain.
If you include alcohol in the bucks you make the event at least 70% likely to be a hit.

Life on GAF means zero productivity. :(

No more stupid than the current method, probably less so.

Shaneus

So guys, what Worms game am I buying? This one?

Yeah but people think Warrnambool is nice and cruisy and by the beach. On the surface it's a nice place. Once you stick around and actually sit down and breath in the crackwhores it starts to stink of fraud, child abuse and publicly flaunted drug addictions.
Hence the reference to mental anguish ;)

You lasted, what, a week, without using a Hitler reference?

I guess we should be happy for that much respite, but... eh, in life you always hope for more than what you get.

senahorse

sound description of having kids

Thanks for the explanation, it's good to get the other (experienced) side of the story. There are a number of reasons for us not to have kids, and I won't bore you with the details there (well more so not something I feel entirely comfortable talking about here). But the main reason for both of us can be summed up plain and simple with selfishness. We are both career minded people and neither of us want to give that up, we both are passionate in what we do and would prefer for things not to complicate that. Now I am not under the illusion that you cannot have a career and kids as well, I know people that make that work. However, as much as we like our work, we like even more our free time. Both of us have a number of hobbies we put a bit of time into and we often complain that we don't have enough free time to pursue them as it is. I am sure we both could make really good parents should it be our desire but it just happens to be something neither of us are interested in. I do often raise it with her, not because I want to have kids myself but I just want to provide her every opportunity to have them should we wish, far be it from me to deny her of that, and she is the same, and has said a number of times, if I wanted to have kids we could seriously talk and consider it. I know we're far from unique in this line of thought but we just don't hold the same view on it as many of our friends and family. Both of our mothers have grandchildren so that base is covered :D

Who knows, maybe one day we will regret it, or the world will go the same way as The Last of Us and we will be glad we didn't :p

L4D2? L4D2.

Hey rep, I just wanted to say thank you for posting all the free iOS stuff. Much appreciated, dude.

No probs, Where's My Water is fucking awesome! Makes it easier to get the lad out of the shower too, I just quickly turn the taps off when he is looking the other way and say the crocodile water has run out!

Top Bottom