• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

hamchan

Playing Dynasty Warriors 8 at PAX convinced me to buy the game and now it's downloading to my PS3 right now.

I'm probably the only one who likes the games here though.

I'm wondering if the inability to attract many decent guests from OS was due to having it at the same time as SDCC. Maybe it's possible that people in the northern hemisphere would be more likely to come down in here during their winter/our summer. Far more attractive to go somewhere warm when you're freezing your ass off rather than leaving somewhere warm to freeze your ass off.

Without having been there, it does sounds like a credible first effort though. They'll learn an awful lot for round 2.

Queues are part and parcel at events like this. the popular panels are always going to be at a premium, though having line up for hours seems to suck a lot of the air out the con (ie they could be doing other things).

Jintor

Queues are part and parcel at events like this. the popular panels are always going to be at a premium, though having line up for hours seems to suck a lot of the air out the con (ie they could be doing other things).

The problem wasn't that the main eventers had massive lines... the problem was that every panel had massive lines. Even the PHD student panel and the Libraries and Videogame panels were full up around an hour early

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
World of difference organising it in the US compared to organising first event in AUS.

and it didn't suck.

your expectations for a first time event were way to high.

You should have been at comicon 2 weeks ago if you wanted suck

In terms of the dearth of exhibitors and the confluence of Comicon on the exact same weekend, I think that's pretty excusable. If it's not North America it's automatically a lower priority - and there's the jetlag, time lag, and distance to consider. Afaik everyone who has a local presence bar sony was present in some form or the other, even Konami which I forgot existed.

It was just laid out poorly. I didn't expect it to set the world on fire, But i honestly expected more booths to play games on and less merch stores in the expo hall.

From what I know of pax, it's a place to go and actually play games and be social. We did that with the board games and while there was some nice vintage gaming and play what you want on console section, it just wasn't enough to unfuck the mess that was the Expo Hall.

I do expect next year to be better, For sure. Hopefully the big dogs can see that the event was a success and actually turn up with real hands on that limits the queue wait time.

It wasn't a completely shit event but I just expected things to be a little bit better.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
It was just laid out poorly. I didn't expect it to set the world on fire, But i honestly expected more booths to play games on and less merch stores in the expo hall.

From what I know of pax, it's a place to go and actually play games and be social. We did that with the board games and while there was some nice vintage gaming and play what you want on console section, it just wasn't enough to unfuck the mess that was the Expo Hall.

I do expect next year to be better, For sure. Hopefully the big dogs can see that the event was a success and actually turn up with real hands on that limits the queue wait time.

It wasn't a completely shit event but I just expected things to be a little bit better.

ep, you thought way too high.

logistically putting on a 35k person expo in a country you've never had one in before, with organisers and everything else you've never had to deal with before?

they did 110%.

although, the websites still a shit hole.

Borderlands 2 has a frustrating as fuck UI for loot management. Just clunky as fuck to compare stuff quickly with vendors and such.

Also Golden Keys pretty much break the game. The game is the loot. Golden Keys give you EPIC loot. Regular loot is fucking useless for the 5 hours of gameplay after getting a Golden Key item. There are currently like 30 Golden Keys still useable. Loot is broken unless you refuse to use a Golden Key.

Also the Skill trees are shit. Like really really shit. Takes fucking FOREVER to get anywhere in them.

Had an intense but awesome time at PAX Aus, It was great to meet fellow Gaffers in person (and some folks from other gaming websites I've visited over the past 10 years!).

Hope you liked Cactus :p
Cactus was awesome! Keep us in the loop with it.

1. Next year will have larger theaters.
2. More number of satellite theaters.
3. Less cod, more room for table top.
4. Booth babes as long as they don't violate the dress code.
5. Melbourne it is, possibly showgrounds again but alternate venues will be considered.
6. Everyone hated wrist banding, but they had to do it because Australian govt.
7. Ubisoft & Riot will not be next to each other.
Ding ding ding. Even the main theatre was only 2000 people right? Should have had Gilbert down at the amphitheater with a big PA. How fucking awesome would that have been!

Like that smart dude said though, even putting up viewing screens would have turned the fuckup into much less of a deal for a lot of people. Makes a 3 day pass worthless if you aren't into boardgames/cardgames as all the Expo stuff can be done in half a day.

Exhibition Centre would be awesomely central and avoid all the FUCKING FUCK fuckups of the trains. Jeez they fucked up. Even Vline delayed my wifes train by half an hour and that's out in the middle of nowhere! No idea why that was delayed, what a bunch of fucking muppets.

Hopefully next time more people make the journey to Aus to put on panels. Glancing through the schedule and seeing shitty essay topics as panels was lame. I'd go to an Idle Thumbs panel if it were on, or at least think about queuing for it.
Even the lame panels had massive lines that were full!

"you should put the leek in your bag to see how many people come up to you and say your bags sprung a leek"
ROFL I enjoyed that one :)

Jintor

How many merch stores were there in the expo hall anyway? in terms of places you could actually buy from, I think there were only a couple. In terms of exhibiting hardware - it's Australia, dawg.

Reistance: Avalon? It's a $15 game for fuck's sake; bring a drink instead of buying one and suddenly it's affordable and supports a games store. Fucking thieves. What a cunt!
Yeah that is realllly fucked. The boardgame rental thing was the most impressive thing PAX did in terms of helping out gamers. Sucks if they got fucked over.

Honestly the boardgame/retro/card stuff was amazing. Everything else was underwhelming though.

Playing Dynasty Warriors 8 at PAX convinced me to buy the game and now it's downloading to my PS3 right now.

Paging Jim Sterling

(he says its the best since the PS2 ones so get hype!)

I just didn't even know when to line up
Neither did a lot of the Enforcers going by the angry looks and thrice changed entry line on Friday lol

They kept starting lines in weird spots too :/

Thanks for the tip! I have one that I've been holding off using and was wondering when I should use it. I don't think I'll bother now.
Overpowered compared to regular drops is an understatement >.>

How many merch stores were there in the expo hall anyway? in terms of places you could actually buy from, I think there were only a couple. In terms of exhibiting hardware - it's Australia, dawg.

6 or 7 places you could buy shit. Mainly along the outer edges. Lotta shirts. Nice to see a huge comic stand though! I should have picked up that Valve collection that Holy or someone did, $30 was a great price >_<

At least 4 or 5 Black Ops 2 setups for headphones. Just fucking stupid. Run some indie games on there or something!

Shaneus

I got to work today, and because I shared that pinball photo on FB I copped shit about it. But shortly afterwards they were at least a little impressed, so that was okay.

Except it should be in the bloody exhibition center.
As in, Jeff's Shed? AFAIK the reason it wasn't there was because there's no smaller satellite theatres for other talks. Otherwise it would probably be perfect.

Looking to tweet the official PAX Australia guys about my iPad, I found there is/was a @PAXAus_lines feed that mentioned things like capacity for upcoming talks, queue lengths etc. Nice of them to bloody advertise it!

Well i had fun at PAX. Didn't meet up with any gaffers due to being banned until sunday and unable to post, whoops! Dynasty warriors 8 was i think the only game I actually played and it was a blast, but also checked out the local indies, caught a couple of panels that were pretty interesting - the mid-size indie studio one was nice - if nothing mind-blowing, and stayed for all the bands on friday and saturday. At this stage though I wouldn't do the whole 3 days again unless there was more/better panels and better queuing.

my favourite part though was probably the igda afterparty on sunday night which saw me getting home at 5am and being incredibly seedy yesterday. Despite that I still dragged myself down to Hovercade last night which was a really cool little event, they had js joust, get-on-top and super-pole-riders tournaments and a bunch of other stuff to play. 4p towerfall turns out to be pretty good fun!

I got to work today, and because I shared that pinball photo on FB I copped shit about it. But shortly afterwards they were at least a little impressed, so that was okay.

As in, Jeff's Shed? AFAIK the reason it wasn't there was because there's no smaller satellite theatres for other talks. Otherwise it would probably be perfect.

Looking to tweet the official PAX Australia guys about my iPad, I found there is/was a @PAXAus_lines feed that mentioned things like capacity for upcoming talks, queue lengths etc. Nice of them to bloody advertise it!

show them your medal and how baws you are. that will shut them right up. screw them giving you crap for being good at something.

r1chard

As in the whole Melbourne Exhibition & Convention Center which includes that funny-shaped building (the Melbourne Convention Center) between the Shed (the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Center) and the Hilton. It has tons of smaller (several hundred) and medium sized rooms (a couple of thousand) plus the huge plenary room which seats 5,500 and would've been awesome for Ron's keynote. Then the expo stuff could be in the shed just next door.

Worldcon was a couple of years ago and was held in the MCEC and was great. Probably a similar audience size.

Oh, and a little birdie told me that the reason the panel/talk rooms were so small was that the organisers had done some research and decided that Australian Con-goers don't go to panels/talks. Which is the complete opposite of my previous Con-going experience, so I don't know who they talked to during that research. They've clearly received the message loud and clear from this year though :)

I've only played licensed ones. Gundam 3, One Piece, and not-Dynasty Warriors-but-a-pretty-obvious-clone Kamen Rider. They're fun enough.

Stackboy

Hopefully next time more people make the journey to Aus to put on panels. Glancing through the schedule and seeing shitty essay topics as panels was lame. I'd go to an Idle Thumbs panel if it were on, or at least think about queuing for it.

I bought a ticket to PAX Aus, after attending the last 2 PAX Easts in Boston. As soon as they released the schedule for PAX Aus I knew it wasn't worth the flights and accom.

Maybe next year.

I'm wondering if the inability to attract many decent guests from OS was due to having it at the same time as SDCC. Maybe it's possible that people in the northern hemisphere would be more likely to come down in here during their winter/our summer. Far more attractive to go somewhere warm when you're freezing your ass off rather than leaving somewhere warm to freeze your ass off.
That would actually be really good, especially if they plan on holding it in Melbourne again.

Same here.
ep, you thought way too high.

logistically putting on a 35k person expo in a country you've never had one in before, with organisers and everything else you've never had to deal with before?

they did 110%.

although, the websites still a shit hole.
Completely agree. I thought it was awesome for a first time con.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

I would have missed the Animal Crossing panel completely if it wasnt for shanshan, i was walking around in the walking path (where there always seemed to be lines) waiting for a queue to build. then she said her and jint were in the queue room.

and it all clicked.

the queue room.

Also the music in Borderlands 2 is shit. Playing Tomb Raider today reminded me of effective game music.

Me thinks podcasts will be required to slog through BL2.

I had a blast at PAX. Would definitely go again next year. Next time I'll make sure I come meet some AusGaffers. I was too busy setting up shitty board games while Rezbit was talking to the guys at the AusGaf gaming table.

Omikron

I had a blast at PAX. Would definitely go again next year. Next time I'll make sure I come meet some AusGaffers. I was too busy setting up shitty board games while Rezbit was talking to the guys at the AusGaf gaming table.

Next year I might need to attend a day just for board gaming. Would be happy to drag some stuff along so you don't get stuck with a shitty game ;)

teekun

My only regrets from PAX were not making a bigger effort to find more GAF people during the actual show days, and that I didn't play enough board games. I really wanted to try to learn Android: Netrunner. I saw a couple people playing it and it looked really cool.

From an organizational standpoint, the first day seemed a bit rough, but by Saturday they seemed to have their shit together completely. Should be interesting to see what they come up with next year. Today's post on PA makes it sound like Jerry was pretty damn happy with it all, and that it's only going to get bigger and better from here on out.

markot

Banned
My only regrets from PAX were not making a bigger effort to find more GAF people during the actual show days, and that I didn't play enough board games. I really wanted to try to learn Android: Netrunner. I saw a couple people playing it and it looked really cool.

From an organizational standpoint, the first day seemed a bit rough, but by Saturday they seemed to have their shit together completely. Should be interesting to see what they come up with next year. Today's post on PA makes it sound like Jerry was pretty damn happy with it all, and that it's only going to get bigger and better from here on out.
We'll need to wait to kick start an accountant for them to figure out profitable it was.

yepyepyep

as long as the designer of this website isn't the winner it'll be ok.

JOHN WARDLE ARCHITECTS + GRIMSHAW is the best.

I probably like that one the most as well, but it will be much better if if didn't have that federation square-esque on the St Kilda rd façade. Totally does not complement well with the original design.

I kind of would have liked it if there were more interesting merch stalls, tbh. There wasn't much apart from the stock standard madman and pop cultcha stalls that pop up at every "nerdy" convention. I'm mostly just jaded about not being able to buy a teemo hat or any kind of plushie...

I would have missed the Animal Crossing panel completely if it wasnt for shanshan, i was walking around in the walking path (where there always seemed to be lines) waiting for a queue to build. then she said her and jint were in the queue room.

and it all clicked.

the queue room.

I wouldn't have gotten it either if I hadn't run into Jintor. I just assumed the lines out in the rain were the lines for things...

Jintor

I can't believe we missed the Wii Fit Trainer

IMG_3661-590x393.jpeg

Frawdder

The official PAX twitter account tweeted about it at least once, I followed it but not sure why as I didn't go to any panels in the end (also didn't want to waste hours of my time waiting out in the cold lining up). Seeing tweets like 'The queue for so-and-so at 2pm is 90% full' hours before the actual panel just made me not give a shit about panels.

Danoss

Next year I might need to attend a day just for board gaming. Would be happy to drag some stuff along so you don't get stuck with a shitty game ;)

I'd be interested in that. Alternatively, if it is an underwhelming show, I'd be down for doing some gaming outside of it if there are some nearby places to arrange such things. Board gaming somewhere with tables and chairs to accommodate, roleplaying where disturbances will be minimal, but making noise is still okay.

Today I had my labret bar (lip piercing jewellery) changed over for one a little bit shorter, now that the swelling has gone down and enough healing has happened to not piss it off by changing jewellery. It is much more comfortable to wear and I'm barely even conscious that it is there now. Looking forward to getting a spike attached to the end when it arrives along with some other custom-made jewellery.

The septum clicker I ordered was finally made, posted and arrived on my doorstep this afternoon while I was at Polymorph having the labret bar changed. Of course I put it in as soon as I opened the packet and took a photo so I could share as I promised I would. The sun was setting and the light looked rad, as it often does during golden hour.

Oto0NdY.jpg

While I was speaking with Rob, I asked about reputable piercers in Brisbane since I recall saying to Shanshan that I would. He recommended The Piercing Shop and said Senior Piercer Lynette Rose is great. Apparently there were a number of other piercing shops around Brisbane, but they have since closed. Hopefully I'm not being rude by suggesting this.

Shaneus

Oh, and a little birdie told me that the reason the panel/talk rooms were so small was that the organisers had done some research and decided that Australian Con-goers don't go to panels/talks. Which is the complete opposite of my previous Con-going experience, so I don't know who they talked to during that research. They've clearly received the message loud and clear from this year though :)
That makes no sense. Mostly because *everywhere* was full up. All the talks, the expo room and all the boardgaming/retro/console areas... all chockers. Where did they expect people to go? Aside from the queue room, that is.

There may have been room to accomodate all people across the entire area, but that's assuming there's only ever the same amount of people who want to do everything that's on at any one time.

Glad I made it to at least one talk, though. The Halfbrick one was quite entertaining and offered a decent enough insight into their inner workings and development processes.

We saw the Wii Fit trainer playing in the DS section. Assuming it was the same bird. Definitely same get up.
Looks like a daughter of that bloke in your avatar.

KKND SERIES ON SALE AT GOG FOR ANOTHER HOUR AND A BIT. IT'S AUSTRALIAN SO YOU KNOW IT'S GOOD.*
*Gazunta told me to say that.

Today I had my labret bar (lip piercing jewellery) changed
Saw someone here up close in Berlin the other day with a rather large scarified cat on her arm. Yeah, I don't get it.

Guess you gotta find new ways to stand out in a city where otherwise extreme tattooing or piercing or hair or clothes or whatever are pretty normal.

Dead Man

FUCK. Laptop now dead. I need a new PC today. You guys have a small window (needed so I can choose a PSU) to tell me I am doing it wrong before I pull the trigger on this build:

Jp81xUT.png

I'd be interested in that. Alternatively, if it is an underwhelming show, I'd be down for doing some gaming outside of it if there are some nearby places to arrange such things. Board gaming somewhere with tables and chairs to accommodate, roleplaying where disturbances will be minimal, but making noise is still okay.

Today I had my labret bar (lip piercing jewellery) changed over for one a little bit shorter, now that the swelling has gone down and enough healing has happened to not piss it off by changing jewellery. It is much more comfortable to wear and I'm barely even conscious that it is there now. Looking forward to getting a spike attached to the end when it arrives along with some other custom-made jewellery.

The septum clicker I ordered was finally made, posted and arrived on my doorstep this afternoon while I was at Polymorph having the labret bar changed. Of course I put it in as soon as I opened the packet and took a photo so I could share as I promised I would. The sun was setting and the light looked rad, as it often does during golden hour.

http://i.imgur.com/Oto0NdY.jpg[IMG]

While I was speaking with Rob, I asked about reputable piercers in Brisbane since I recall saying to Shanshan that I would. He recommended [URL="http://www.thepiercingshop.net.au/"]The Piercing Shop[/URL] and said Senior Piercer Lynette Rose is great. Apparently there were a number of other piercing shops around Brisbane, but they have since closed. Hopefully I'm not being rude by suggesting this.[/QUOTE]
Looks god man, goes well with the beard.

Kritz

Banned
Oh god, the moment I got to the airport to head home I've felt like total horseshit. That PAX Pox shit ain't no joke huh. :\

Danoss

Saw someone here up close in Berlin the other day with a rather large scarified cat on her arm. Yeah, I don't get it.

Guess you gotta find new ways to stand out in a city where otherwise extreme tattooing or piercing or hair or clothes or whatever are pretty normal.

Was actually talking about scarification today with Rob. I think it's pretty cool myself. I wouldn't choose a cat, but whatever floats their boat.

Body mods aren't about standing out, it's just a different way to decorate your body in a way that pleases you. Essentially it's like selecting the clothes you wear, your hairstyle and so on. Of course it's not the same for everyone and there are show-offs and attention-seekers just like there are in other areas.

A society where stuff like that is accepted and not given much of a thought would be nice. Much relief could be found in not having to hear someone say "I don't understand why you'd do that to your body!" while they unironically stuff their face with artery-clogging food and smoke a cigarette.

FUCK. Laptop now dead. I need a new PC today. You guys have a small window (needed so I can choose a PSU) to tell me I am doing it wrong before I pull the trigger on this build

Windows 7 Pro would be my choice, whether you think you need it or not. I doubt Microsoft have fixed the thing where the home directory doesn't repeatedly screw itself over and you wonder where your shit has gone.

Looks god man, goes well with the beard.

Thanks mate :) Hoping some of the custom-made stuff on the way looks the goods, I've dived in head first assuming the picture in my head translates well. We'll see in a month or so.

Top Bottom