• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Paz

Oh shit, Dropchord is out! And cheap XCom! What price is it usually? I remember walking past a 7-11 and seeing that they have 20% off all iTunes cards, even though it's not the best deal I might nab myself $50 or so.

PS. Totes contemplating a new playthrough of Crackdown once I get it. Hopefully the DLC still works with it, too (not that I remember it being that significant, other than the Keys to the City thing).

Me personally? Good, as long as other people get to miss out ;)

As far as the sound design stuff goes, I don't recall seeing much of it on the dev blog. Being a massive sound nut myself (just lacking the skill, lulz) I'd love to see more of what's going into it.

I loved finding out from Jeff's site that he did both Skitchin' and the first two NFS games. So weird hearing the music back-to-back and noticing the similarities between both games.

I like this idea, talking with Jeff about it right now. Nice one mate!

Shaneus

I like this idea, talking with Jeff about it right now. Nice one mate!
I don't know what Jeff has to do with me replaying Crackdown, but okay...

;)

Also a bit stoked that now I have a 32GB iPad, I can actually fit something like XCOM on there. Yay?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Essendon are fucked aren't they?

I wouldn't trust a fucking word of that interview.

given all throughout it players were posting on twitter STANDBYHIRD

and this gem.

During Robinson's televised interview ex-Bomber Andrew Welsh, who retired at the end of 2011, posted a picture of Pinocchio on Twitter with the message: “Oh oh I think someone's nose is growing.”

Danoss

My whole group of mates and then most of my work mates are all falling or have fallen into gaming big time. Most of us got into it thanks to Catan and now we've managed to brainwash the rest of them. If we could get more attention at PAX for tabletop games, then I know all those blokes would go back to PAX and even get some more blokes to come.

PAX will be bigger next year, let's just hope it's in the parts we want to see.

Damn right. A few people here in AusGAF have even given it a go after hearing a bunch of us carrying on about how much fun we have with them. Some of them have introduced others to the hobby. It's great and I hope it continues and PAX can help emphasise it.

1. Take money you would have spent on PAX tickets
2. Buy 10 boardgames you want to play
3. Each learn the rules for one
4. Find school hall or library meeting room
5. Play said games

If PAX is not worth attending because of poor showing in the tabletop area then this is a perfectly valid and reasonable option. If there are some cool people worth listening or playing with, or there are some new games on offer to play and purchase, then there is absolutely good reason to attend.

Even if it is not up to scratch, I think it's worth bringing some games and playing with some new and different people outside of PAX. You get to share an experience with them and maybe you or they can play something they haven't before. If they haven't tried out tabletop gaming before, you can introduce them to it or show them that there's more to it than Munchkin, Risk and Monopoly (or D&D if we're talking roleplaying games).

I wouldn't trust a fucking word of that interview.

given all throughout it players were posting on twitter STANDBYHIRD

and this gem.

During Robinson's televised interview ex-Bomber Andrew Welsh, who retired at the end of 2011, posted a picture of Pinocchio on Twitter with the message: “Oh oh I think someone's nose is growing.”

A lotta smoke for no fire......

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
A lotta smoke for no fire......

all we know is what ever happens, everyone will still love hird.

and i'm not saying something dodgy didn't happen. yes it most likely did.

but of course the person who's likely to blame is going to perform a PAID INTERVIEW to say otherwise.

lets just wait for the asada report.

then laugh when we all realise they were telling us the drug was legal when it wasnt because they forgot to update their australian records from wada..

Damn right. A few people here in AusGAF have even given it a go after hearing a bunch of us carrying on about how much fun we have with them. Some of them have introduced others to the hobby. It's great and I hope it continues and PAX can help emphasise it.

I'll definitely go back to PAX for at least 1 day next year. Need to make sure I join in the Ausgaf meet up next time though.

By the look of the numbers in the tabletop area this year, they could almost fill a whole room for board games alone. But I think they need more than just space to play them. Talks, demos or stores for the games are a must.

Man, you guys sure like your board games

Much more social than video games. (But I still love them too)

all we know is what ever happens, everyone will still love hird.

and i'm not saying something dodgy didn't happen. yes it most likely did.

but of course the person who's likely to blame is going to perform a PAID INTERVIEW to say otherwise.

lets just wait for the asada report.

then laugh when we all realise they were telling us the drug was legal when it wasnt because they forgot to update their australian records from wada..

I thought Dank was the big bad guy?

r1chard

If PAX is not worth attending because of poor showing in the tabletop area then this is a perfectly valid and reasonable option. If there are some cool people worth listening or playing with, or there are some new games on offer to play and purchase, then there is absolutely good reason to attend.
FWIW I had a ball in the tabletop area playing board games and card games with friends and absolute strangers (mostly the latter). So anyone who didn't find the fun in the table top area was Doing It Wrong .. somehow :)

And the Roborally tourney was epic fun :)

Danoss

I'll definitely go back to PAX for at least 1 day next year. Need to make sure I join in the Ausgaf meet up next time though.

By the look of the numbers in the tabletop area this year, they could almost fill a whole room for board games alone. But I think they need more than just space to play them. Talks, demos or stores for the games are a must.

I'll at least be there for the meetup. It'd be great if there's more than one, particularly for trad gaming.

It sounds like there is plenty of room for expansion in the board game area and plenty of room for improvement. It is a great cover for when panels are full and people have done what they want for the day, they can check out the tabletop area and there'd be plenty of stuff to keep them occupied.

Man, you guys sure like your board games

As much as you guys love your video games is what I feel for board games and roleplaying games. Videos, actual plays, articles, forums, podcasts and such can eat up time when not currently playing.

FWIW I had a ball in the tabletop area playing board games and card games with friends and absolute strangers (mostly the latter). So anyone who didn't find the fun in the table top area was Doing It Wrong .. somehow :)

And the Roborally tourney was epic fun :)

I'm glad you had a great time with them :) While it's certainly not for everyone, there is plenty of fun to be had and if you find a cool group of people it just makes it that much better. I do think the majority of people could find something that they can have a fun time with, some may take them completely by surprise.

I haven't yet played RoboRally. A friend has it, so maybe one day.

Unfortunate name for someone involved in a doping scandal.

But Moe!

The dank!

The dank!

71.jpg

Deep Down is a Capcom Online Game now too.

Abandon all hope for Capcpom. What a fucking waste. Zynga will buy them out at Christmas at this rate.

Joking. Zynga won't last until Christmas :)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I now have a dead pixel on my monitor.

That kinda sucks, Wonder if any more will start to appear. I've had the monitor for a good while though and it's certainly still going without any other issues.

I don't want to start looking at monitors again, I will never pick one.

legend166

The levy on banks just seems like a bad idea all round. Self funded retirees are already getting less due to the historically low interest rates, and now the government wants another cut. It's not gonna hit the rich because those people don't keep their money in savings accounts.

hamchan

This is one of those things where I don't know if it's good or bad that it's happening, or why. Anyone care to fill a guy in?

Imagine that there's a beloved JRPG series that existed from the SNES days all the way up to PS2.

Imagine that they stopped making these games for the last ten years.

Now, imagine that they announce the long awaited sequel.... for IOS and Android.

Imagine that there's a beloved JRPG series that existed from the SNES days all the way up to PS2.

Now, imagine that they announce the long awaited sequel.... for IOS and Android.

And made it an "Online touch RPG". That's the bigger concern than the platforms.

Dead Man

The levy on banks just seems like a bad idea all round. Self funded retirees are already getting less due to the historically low interest rates, and now the government wants another cut. It's not gonna hit the rich because those people don't keep their money in savings accounts.

Pretty much. It will just get pased on to account holders.

A mining tax could have made billions and the costs would have been born by export markets and domestic markets. Would have made much more sense.

Dead Man

Yeah, and from what I've read, it doesn't even sound like we need a deposit guarantee. Our banks are very stable.

Pretty much. It's a nice thing to have, but in terms of using it raise revenue, there are a lot of better options, and in terms of things of importance that need to be addressed in australias financial infrastructure, it's a long way down the list.

Shaneus

JRPGs are all the same anyway.

The World's End was good. Cornettos were enjoyed.

So tasty. My thoughts cross posted from the OT:

The third film in the Blood and Ice Cream trilogy wraps up the trilogy nicely. Pegg, Frost and Wright have done it yet again. This movie is great.

It's not as funny as Shaun of the Dead. It's not as much a parody that Hot Fuzz is. This is a bloody good Sci Fi film, full of great action, plenty of laughs, and drama. Really, really good drama.

This movie is Edgar Wright through and through. He is an amazing film maker and along with Pegg, can strike gold every single time.

Pegg owns this movie and he is brilliant in the main role. He brings plenty of sadness to his troubled character but damn is he funny. The rest of the cast are great too and Frost is excellent in an action role here.

This movie is great fun, plenty of great laughs here. If you enjoy Edgar Wright's other outings, you'll have a ball here.

Much like the other films in the trilogy, you'll need to see this movie over and over again to catch all the running jokes, homages and brilliant foreshadowing. (The names of the pubs are great for that)

Go see this now. Then go see it again.

The World's End

Fredescu

Sounds like a lot of people wanted it though, including both sides of politics: http://www.afr.com/f/free/blogs/chr...would_raise_up_to_year_9P2QkDq9edLdfRQ96o8OTN

You're probably right that it will be just passed on to savers, but maybe this will mean more competition for savings since the little guys get guaranteed too.

Top Bottom