• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

hamchan

A cheap 2DS is actually a good business decision and it's a good decision to release it around Pokemon for all the small kids to be able to play it at an entry level price.

It's just that it looks like ass.

Eh, its a cheap 3DS for small children. They don't give a fuck whether or not it closes up and is more portable.

Besides, the reason it's not a clamshell is because they're using a single screen instead of two to save production costs. There's no point to the device at all if you can't reduce costs significantly. I think they've come up with a pretty clever solution. As long as they only make them in limited numbers and push them to the right market, I think this could work out for them.
As a father the design makes it a no sale. Massive screen plus my son equals broken.

His Storio has a great flip cover and is in great nick as s result. His Leapster has a sunken screen into the plastic casing by a good cm but still has plenty of scratches and dings due to not having a cover.

Will go with a DS like I planned. Once he gets older ill pickup a 3DSXL for him.

teekun

That's fair enough, but you're also a nerd gamer parent. I know I'd care about my kid nicking and scratching the screen of devices I bought him as well. But for every one of us, there's tons more parents who couldn't care less, who have kids who don't care either.

The majority of uproar over this thing is coming from gamers on the internet who are exactly who the 2DS is not for.

senahorse

As a father the design makes it a no sale. Massive screen plus my son equals broken.

His Storio has a great flip cover and is in great nick as s result. His Leapster has a sunken screen into the plastic casing by a good cm but still has plenty of scratches and dings due to not having a cover.

Will go with a DS like I planned. Once he gets older ill pickup a 3DSXL for him.

I think it's time you send the young bloke on a paper route to start funding his technology addictions.

Or, tell him he has to give up beer if he gets one.

Shaneus

FUCK ME, POKER SMASH!!!!

POKER SMASSSSSHHHHHHH

POKER SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know what else I saw in my YouTube subscriptions feed late last night from GOG?

Chaos Engine

The world needs more Bitmap Brothers.

Sharpshooter is pretty god tier, got great reviews on GAF for Killzone and Resistance. Not sure another HotD but worth checking out a local EB as they had them for $20 recently too.
Still $20 online. Wonder if there's any in-store nearby. Hmm. Edit: Yup! Just realised I could jump on the city loop, get off at Melb. Central, run upstairs to EB, grab gun, catch next loop, catch Geelong train, get home, completely forget about gun when I become engrossed in ASSAULT ANDROID MOTHERFUCKING CACTUS.

Jintor

No Wii U Limited Edition Zelda bundle in Australia. I don't think it's getting a price drop here either. PAL is abandoned. Import from OzGameShop and gut retail on the fleeting chance you desire a Wii U

senahorse

It's very possible Nintendo can turn this around but at this point I wonder if they cut their losses in 2-3 years and release another console that's on par or exceeds the PS4/Xbone in terms of power.

Still $20 online. Wonder if there's any in-store nearby. Hmm. Edit: Yup! Just realised I could jump on the city loop, get off at Melb. Central, run upstairs to EB, grab gun, catch next loop, catch Geelong train, get home, completely forget about gun when I become engrossed in ASSAULT ANDROID MOTHERFUCKING CACTUS.

Sharpshooter is okay, are you buying it because it's cheap or do you really want to use it?

It's useless without a nav controller. I think there was an offer for nav + sharpshooter for $25 somewhere but I can't recall where.

Also, you're way too old to be waving toy guns at the screen.

They can't turn it around into anything meaningful, it's 100% done as far as a relevant system for the wider market.

They could maybe turn it around into a worst selling of the 3 home consoles but at least the first party games sold well kind of deal like the gamecube but the fact that it would need a turnaround to even get to gamecube levels should show just how badly the wiiu is doing.

Is this not what everyone said about the 3DS initially, and/or the Vita up until recently?

No for 3ds, yes for vita and i agree with the vita statement.

The situation the 3ds was in is massively overblown, it wasn't selling well but it was selling alot more when compared to wiiu and vita, probably close to as much as both of them combined

senahorse

That's true about the 3DS and the Vita, but the Wii-U is about to come up against two brand new consoles, I wonder if even Mario can help it make a comeback at this point. A surge in sales sure but to be sustained they will need a lot of compelling software in the pipeline, maybe I am missing something but I haven't seen that list yet.

Jintor

And the two brand new consoles might not yet have the exclusives, but they sure as hell are going to have all the multiplatforms, and beyond Ubisoft I'm not optimistic about the Wii U getting any of that.

Isn't 3DS only really a 1st party device outside Japan?

Still third-party games that might be decent sellers coming out for it. Ace Attorney, Harvest Moon, Bravely Default. Not horrific

That's true about the 3DS and the Vita, but the Wii-U is about to come up against two brand new consoles, I wonder if even Mario can help it make a comeback at this point. A surge in sales sure but to be sustained they will need a lot of compelling software in the pipeline, maybe I am missing something but I haven't seen that list yet.

Right it will get spikes when the games come out but with long gaps between them even in the holidays it will be a roller coaster.

Isn't 3DS only really a 1st party device outside Japan?

your still getting the Japanese third patry stuff from square, capcom etc in the west as well as kids focused stuff like lego, skylanders and disney games as well as sports stuff but the latter is drying up i believe

senahorse

I find console sales from one generation to the next amazing. Gamecube and Xbox sold shit all, PS2 sold gangbusters. Next gen Wii and Xbox sold amazingly well (especially Wii), with the PS3 only just catching (maybe finally surpassing Xbox now)up at the end of the generation. Now the Wii-U is in a horrible spot, and the jury is still out on the other two. I guess the saying "necessity is the mother of invention" rings true and Nintendo will (hopefully) surprise us again.

Shaneus

Holy fuck guys, I think I may or may not have found a new best friend.

A computer has come up as having suspicious/malicious files on it's computer, so I'm having a look through some directories to see if I can see anything suspicious. Here are some of the things I've found:

Megablast by Bomb the Bass (Xenon 2 CDTV remix)
A remix of Lotus 3 - Breathless
Amiga Longplay of Xenon 2 (CDTV)
Test Drive Unlimited playguides
Emulation guides on getting SegaSonic Arcade, Sonic Fighters and Chaotix 32x running
SF3/SF4/Anniversary playguides
Turok 360 playguide?!?
And "Lo_Wang.gif"

Seriously, WTF.

Couldn't find said viruses though, there's nothing suspect installed on their computer :/

Sharpshooter is okay, are you buying it because it's cheap or do you really want to use it?

It's useless without a nav controller. I think there was an offer for nav + sharpshooter for $25 somewhere but I can't recall where.

Also, you're way too old to be waving toy guns at the screen.
You make a good point. I kinda want it to complement HotD that I bought for PS3 for $10, but I honestly probably wouldn't use it.
PS. No nav controller. Although I bet Child of Eden could be wicked fun with it, lolz.

PPS. Gazunta, where the hell did this album come from?!? Various Artists - Paula Agnus Denise: Best of Amiga and CD32 Video Game Music

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hey Ausgaf.

do we have any canberra gaf?

friends looking at moving there in a month and we don't know anyone who knows the place well.. the job will be in gungahlin..

where ar ethe trendy subburbs? from my looking about it seems you can find a 4 bedroom house in bonner (giggles.... boner) for like 550$. and shes being offered a bedroom in one with an ensuite for 220pw... seems pricey.

but i doubt anything single can be found at all?

Dead Man

Hey Ausgaf.

friends looking at moving there in a month and we don't know anyone who knows the place well.. the job will be in gungahlin..

where ar ethe trendy subburbs? from my looking about it seems you can find a 4 bedroom house in bonner (giggles.... boner) for like 550$. and shes being offered a bedroom in one with an ensuite for 220pw... seems pricey.

Friend of mine just moved there, but she is a senior accountant with a govt department, so she makes so much money I have no idea if she even thought about where was cool but affordable. She seems to be enjoying it.

HolyCheck

In other cities.

I'm not even kidding, Canberra is 97% middle class suburbs.

seems to be the vibe i'm getting searching for properties. I've found a few little 1 bedroom units around the place for around $260ish. but they're not all in the one area like other cities.

Hey Ausgaf.

Are these real place names? I guess Canberra isn't so bad after all. Except for those prices. Holy crap. There is no way living costs there are higher than Brisbane...

In other cities.

I'm not even kidding, Canberra is 97% middle class suburbs.

lololol.

Will probably have to move there a couple years down the track myself :/

Shaneus

Oh man, only a little over an hour to go until I get to play Assault Android Cactus again.

I bet it's shit.

lolz

Friend of mine just moved there, but she is a senior accountant with a govt department, so she makes so much money I have no idea if she even thought about where was cool but affordable. She seems to be enjoying it.
Probably because she has the city's allocation of cocaine to herself.

Deeku

read the nintendo thing while flippin through paper during lunch, wtf'd out loud lol.

will probably get one though cos it's cheap and dumb

I know all those millions of kids out there who are gaming on their iPads and iPod Touches just haaaaaaaate not being able to fold it in half. Boy I sure hope someone at Nintendo got fired for that blunder etc etc

Yes, this is exactly what should be taken from "man the thing looks kinda doofy and wouldn't it be more protected if it could fold?" Good job.

Shaneus

Ooh, new update? Is this to account for the new currency as well?

PS. AAC, holy shit. I was so happy to be playing that game, not only because it's really fucking good, but because it's good, it's Australian and it's superb quality without being a super-niche title doomed to low sales.

WB have a big hit on their hands, IMO. And platform saturation isn't going to do the title any harm, either!

HolyCheck

Ooh, new update? Is this to account for the new currency as well?

PS. AAC, holy shit. I was so happy to be playing that game, not only because it's really fucking good, but because it's good, it's Australian and it's superb quality without being a super-niche title doomed to low sales.

WB have a big hit on their hands, IMO. And platform saturation isn't going to do the title any harm, either!

we will definitely need to organise a co-op night of drinking and funs once the full version launches.

having a fucking blast.

Minor Amazon sale, Steamkeys, use US address

Sonic Transformed Racing for USD$6
Dark Souls for USD$7.50
Bioshock Infinite for USD$20
XCOM Enemy Unknown (+ pre-order DLC shit) for USD$10

In other news I am having a second dinner.
My diet starts next week.
For real this time.
:(

To cheer myself up I am reminding myself of the joys of DS shovelware.

Golden_Balls_Coverart.png

A classic but a goodie. :)

Top Bottom