• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

senahorse

I think it's over the top, but this does happen with repeat offenders. A friend of mine did a 4 month stint in jail for driving unlicensed (caught multiple times).

Danoss

I typed up a bunch of stuff to go with this and then I pressed the wrong button and all was lost. I don't have it in me to go through that again, so I'll be brief (maybe there are some sighs of relief at that :p).

As this particular topic was brought up in here yesterday, and was a topic of conversation at many other places, I thought this would be worth sharing. This particular thing appeared on my Google+ feed which I use primarily for RPG stuff and therefore get a lot of heads-up about cool new things, thoughts and workings of game designers projects as well as things that are on the mind of them and other prominent community members. It was shared in a private circle, so I hope I'm not being bad by sharing this but I think it would be a shame if I didn't.

Yesterday, there was a lot of talk about some specific bad behavior with regards to a particular game industry personality and their entertainment company. While boycotting their products and conventions is certainly one way of showing our displeasure with their actions, I think that promoting projects, websites and companies that foster a better kind of gaming community is the other part of the solution. For example, there's Gaming As Women, a website filled with thoughtful discussion and articles about being female in our community. Never heard of it? You should check it out. Spend the five minutes you used to use on a three panel web comic over there instead.

I encourage my colleagues and friends in the gaming community to create a signal boost of those people and organizations that enhance and enrich our gaming culture. We should spend time learning from and celebrating the ones that are doing it right rather than directing traffic to those that are not. I challenge you all to share a link to something that you feel champions the best parts of our community this week on your interweb feeds.

I don't have anything better to add, but I will say that Gaming as Women is an excellent site and is very much worth reading. I've seen excellent pieces on harrassment and mental health as well general gaming advice, discussion and interviews. Even those who have no interest in tabletop gaming will find something interesting and stimulating to read there.

It's a great point that it is worthwhile noting the shortcomings of certain industry sectors, but energy is better spent shedding light on the positive things.

Dead Man

I think it's over the top, but this does happen with repeat offenders. A friend of mine did a 4 month stint in jail for driving unlicensed (caught multiple times).

That shit pisses me off as well. You don't suddenly forget how to drive when your license expires, licenses should be permanent unless revoked, it is just money grabbing, which is fine, but jailing someone for not giving you money for an arbitrary reason is shit. As long as the car is registered and insured, and the driver is not barred from driving, it should be no problem. Want more money? Increase rego or something meaningful.

Endanger lives? Yep. Jail time.
Streak at a sporting event? Fine the fuck out him. Make him do community service.

Keep him out of the overcrowded prison system.

The system is fucking broken.

Hmmm to buy Africa blu-ray for $30 from Ozgameshop, or to get it immediately from JB for $40.

Does anyone know how long Ozgameshop stuff usually takes to ship?

markot

Banned
Hmmm to buy Africa blu-ray for $30 from Ozgameshop, or to get it immediately from JB for $40.

Does anyone know how long Ozgameshop stuff usually takes to ship?

I hear the drums echoing tonight
But she hears only whispers of some quiet conversation
She's coming in 12:30 flight
The moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation
I stopped an old man along the way,
Hoping to find some old forgotten words or ancient melodies
He turned to me as if to say, Hurry boy, It's waiting there for you

CHORUS:
It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never have

The wild dogs cry out in the night
As they grow restless longing for some solitary company
I know that I must do what's right
As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become

CHORUS

(Instrumental break)

Hurry boy, she's waiting there for you

It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa, I bless the rains down in Africa
I bless the rains down in Africa, I bless the rains down in Africa
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never have

Africa@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kritz

Banned
We're not even 3/4 of the way there yet, but:

AusGAF 10: Much Ado Abbott Nothing

or

AusGAF 10: Node Country for Old Men

THEY'RE BOTH SO TOPICAL AND PUNNY I CAN'T DECIDE

I thought AusGAF would be the perfect place to ask. What's this alcoholic ginger beer like? I never actually had one before but I'm a big fan of regular ginger beer.
I'm not a huge fan of most of the alcoholic ones I've tried, they have too much ginger taste for me. I like ginger ale but only a bit, so I'm the wrong person to ask I guess.

Dead Man

I thought AusGAF would be the perfect place to ask. What's this alcoholic ginger beer like? I never actually had one before but I'm a big fan of regular ginger beer.

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/115509

$26.40 for 15x500ml bottles seems cheap.

There is one that a friend of mine buys that is fucking amazing, it has a blue and white label but I can't remember the name of it to save my life. It is about $6 a bottle though.

r1chard

ur doin it rong.

Bundy Ginger Beer + Bundy Rum. God's Own Drink.

not really, but it is quite nice

senahorse

Thanks death, and I guess cookie...

Endanger lives? Yep. Jail time.
Streak at a sporting event? Fine the fuck out him. Make him do community service.

Keep him out of the overcrowded prison system.

The system is fucking broken.

But it wasn't endangering lives, he had had his license for 5 years and lost it for accumulation of points. The guy was a better driver than most people, it was plainly that he was driving during disqualification.

As I said, I don't agree with the punishment, but I can sort of understand why jail is end result sometimes.

Danoss

Bundy Ginger Beer + Bundy Rum. God's Own Drink.

It is indeed quite nice. They sell pre-mixes of it as 'Dark & Stormy', though pre-mixed anything is usually best avoided as the ratio and overall taste is rather poor. The price premium is another thing altogether.

I'm not a huge fan of most of the alcoholic ones I've tried, they have too much ginger taste for me. I like ginger ale but only a bit, so I'm the wrong person to ask I guess.

I ended up getting them and I don't mind them at all. As you said, they have a strong ginger flavour, so that's right up my alley. Okay, the other 14 are for Sat night :)

Shaneus

There is one that a friend of mine buys that is fucking amazing, it has a blue and white label but I can't remember the name of it to save my life. It is about $6 a bottle though.
Something... pier? Or wolf or something? I had one from NZ once and it was fucking glorious.

PS. Everyone, Kroll Show is on ABC2 tonight at 8:30pm. In light of what is likely to happen on Saturday, I strongly urge everyone to get a good dose of it. Rep reckons it was alright, honest injin!

Dead Man

Something... pier? Or wolf or something? I had one from NZ once and it was fucking glorious.

PS. Everyone, Kroll Show is on ABC2 tonight at 8:30pm. In light of what is likely to happen on Saturday, I strongly urge everyone to get a good dose of it. Rep reckons it was alright, honest injin!

Found it, Hollows and Fentimans

bottle.png

Nectar of the gods.

Kroll Show is funny and made me laugh because it is funny.
Thanks Shaneus for talking about it earlier ITT otherwise I probably would have not found it. (until tonight when you are talking about it again)

I will do my service and mention the first episode for Season 5 of The League has aired as of earlier today. If any of you fuckers haven't watch The League you should because it is also funny.

Ventron

We're not even 3/4 of the way there yet, but:

AusGAF 10: Much Ado Abbott Nothing

or

AusGAF 10: Node Country for Old Men

THEY'RE BOTH SO TOPICAL AND PUNNY I CAN'T DECIDE

AusGAF 10: Abbott Proof Fence
AusGAF 10: Low in Fibre
AusGAF 10: We Don't Need to Talk About Tony

This would've been great for after the Labor spill:
AusGAF 10: Rudd Alert 2

Shaneus

Found it, Hollows and Fentimans

Nectar of the gods.
Not the one I was thinking of, though.

Edit: Low in Fibre is too vague IMO. I like the Node one.

Also, this is the one I was trying to think of, DM:
Lick Pier
kqzCdkxl.jpg

Not far off! I got the "pier" bit and the "wolf" (okay, leopard) thing. Had it at a pub in Melbourne (Mrs. Parma's) and only had to order one bottle because it was fairly massive and quite potent. Delicious as fuck, perfect summer drink. Probably enough to knock Monteith's cider off the mantle.

Shaneus

Damn! LOL
BTW I didn't notice it before, but Lick Pier is actually a bit cheaper than the one you posted. Seems like a good enough excuse for me to grab some to drown my sorrows in this weekend.

I have a hunch my local bar sells it too (I recall them selling it a while back, though I could be mistaken) so I might have to get on it all of Saturday.

Low in Fibre gets my vote!

Also yeah Hollows is the BEST ginger beer on the market (available at Dan's I mean).

Cheers, thanks!

I also appreciated your Thrice write up. I've only listened to Beggars and Major/Minor but really like both albums. Where should I go from there?
Yay! Glad someone liked it.
Those 2 albums have their own sound really but The Alchemy Index is an artier, more esoteric style of those albums so you might like them (I expect it would take a while to get into the groove of though tbh).
The Artist In The Ambulance is a solid middle ground too.

Maybe checkout Tales Don't Tell Themselves by FFAF too, another Post-hardcore band moving into more rock orientated territory. Out Of Reach is the heaviest track there by far, The Great Wide Open & All Hands On Deck are quite nice too.

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/115509

$26.40 for 15x500ml bottles seems cheap.
It's decent, great at that price if you like ginger beer. Proper ginger beer it is!

Omikron

Hi guys, here is a post about EU4. Because, you know you will want to play it eventually... right?

This is currently my Japan... thinking I am done trying to colonise and competing with Russia. Got in a pretty big war with them and the Shun and had my whole army crushed before rebuilding and sweeping them all out of my territory. Thanks mercs.

Think I might work on south-east asia and then back up through India perhaps as well as work on extending my colonies to the West Coast of North America.

How much does it actually take into consideration the real life/historical strengths and weaknesses of different nations?

Edit: Specifically regarding military strengths/weaknesses.

Omikron

How much does it actually take into consideration the real life/historical strengths and weaknesses of different nations?

Edit: Specifically regarding military strengths/weaknesses.

Fairly generally, but it seems to work. For example I am in the 'chinese' tech group, which makes my units weaker (relying on bows for a long time... instead of muskets etc like Europe) and also I get a +60% penalty to all tech costs. Which is a huge disadvantage against the Euro nations. Thankfully they are way over there, so I don't really have to worry about them tooooo much.

Friday hot chocolate and egg and bacon sandwich*. Looks like the phone camera didn't agree with the fluoro lights.
20130906_085747.jpg

* wasn't cooked enough so I toasted it more myself. That's... great?

Top Bottom