• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Gazunta

nda.gif
Quoting for the new page.

God I was miserable back then

Danoss

If anyone is interested in how game design manipulates player behaviour, I have something you might enjoy. The Genius is a Korean reality tv show that has celebrities play games that demonstrate the psychological side of game theory and how game design can use it. It's much better than that last sentence would have you believe. Even if this idea doesn't interest you, I think you'll find the show entertaining anyway.

Episode 1 features a very simple card game, the mechanics seem ridiculously shallow and simple. The game itself is just the base for something much more involved and interesting, the players quickly realise that the result really depends on alliances and betrayal. Watch it for yourself and see what I mean, it is very interesting and entertaining.

Here is episode 1: http://youtu.be/UKPYxij0pss

I only just watched this last night and am told this was actually the least interesting game they play throughout the entire series. I'm intrigued by what else the future episodes have in store. Generally I cannot stand reality shows, but this is actually worth watching. There is the scripted event present that all reality shows have (whether people believe they exist or not) but it doesn't really detract from the result and in a way demonstrates another mechanic that games may have, which I won't mention because it would spoil it.

Dead Man

If anyone is interested in how game design manipulates player behaviour, I have something you might enjoy. The Genius is a Korean reality tv show that has celebrities play games that demonstrate the psychological side of game theory and how game design can use it. It's much better than that last sentence would have you believe. Even if this idea doesn't interest you, I think you'll find the show entertaining anyway.

Episode 1 features a very simple card game, the mechanics seem ridiculously shallow and simple. The game itself is just the base for something much more involved and interesting, the players quickly realise that the result really depends on alliances and betrayal. Watch it for yourself and see what I mean, it is very interesting and entertaining.

I only just watched this last night and am told this was actually the least interesting game they play throughout the entire series. I'm intrigued by what else the future episodes have in store. Generally I cannot stand reality shows, but this is actually worth watching. There is the scripted event present that all reality shows have (whether people believe they exist or not) but it doesn't really detract from the result and in a way demonstrates another mechanic that games may have, which I won't mention because it would spoil it.
That sounds really interesting, I'll give it a go this weekend.

Ausgaf X : Abbottalypse Now
Ausgaf X: What have Labor ever done for us
cbtIrLlm.png

another year closer to death

(╯︵╰,)

happy birthday Bonzo

Definitely interested. Will check it out, thanks!

Shaneus

I played a bit of Saints Row yesterday. That is to say, the first one.

Y'know, Saints Row 1 is still pretty awesome. The driving is fun. The shooting feels gangsta as shit. You hold your gun sideways to shoot people, that's kinda funny. The cutscenes are funny with some really good dialogue between Keith David and the rest of the gang. The clothing's a little weird in 1 but being able to have multiple layers of clothing is so cool, such a shame they killed that feature in 3.

Only downsides to the game are the mandatory side activities, and that failing a side activity means you have to drive all the way back from the position you failed to the mission start location to try again.

But, boy. It's kinda nice to not have super powers. It's kinda fun to be at the bottom of the food chain. Don't get me wrong, Saints Row 2 is still the best, but 1 had some neat ideas.
Answer me this: Did anyone ever get SR2 running as it should on PC? I'm not expecting GTA3/SA/VC-ENB levels of awesome, just running at a good framerate and maybe a little extra flair as far as effects go.

Edit:
Game is super buggy but it was really impressive how many awesome, improved features over GTA it had, especially since it was their first shot at an open world title. Volition really cranked out a lot of games this generation.
They had a really good period where they churned out some surprisingly good games (SR1+2, Guerrilla and to a lesser extent SR3) but I just don't have confidence in them to not milk the shit out of something or completely half-arse it.

Kritz

Banned
Answer me this: Did anyone ever get SR2 running as it should on PC? I'm not expecting GTA3/SA/VC-ENB levels of awesome, just running at a good framerate and maybe a little extra flair as far as effects go.

Edit:

They had a really good period where they churned out some surprisingly good games (SR1+2, Guerrilla and to a lesser extent SR3) but I just don't have confidence in them to not milk the shit out of something or completely half-arse it.

At this point I think sheer horsepower of pcs compensates for the shitty port.

I remember playing it on my 5850 a few years back with above-30fps at max details. Except the opening turret sequence, which ran at about 5fpa. But after that it was good enough.

Dunno what it'd be like if I Played it now with my 670

Shaneus

Oh man, James Franco roast was one of the best. Featured Nick Kroll! Rogan was fucking ruthless.

ALSO THESE ARE BETTER THAN ANY CHIPS YOU LIKE
767992.jpg

Beat The Bomb deals at 10:30am tomorrow
PS3 controller for $37 posted
360 controller for $37 posted
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix for $40 posted

When photoshoping goes oh so right
Oh god, should I go back to my supermarket? I've already been tonight. Better than J&C Red Rock Corn Chips?

PS. Sometimes those crappy imgur thingys they have on their main page pay off:
7Y5MuWj.gif

PPS. On that Franco roast, I watched about 5 seconds on it, saw some of the comments and yeah, I'm pretty sure at least Franco was high as a fucking kite. Which we don't see enough of. Whereabouts did you watch it?
I'm not normally the sort of person who likes roasts, but I can see Franco being the sort of dude who takes it really well (and the people they have insulting him not remotely appearing to mean a thing they say).

PPPS. Thanks for the tips, El Kritzo. I'll give it a crack sometime soon, I just remember loving the story too damn much. If you liked it, you need to see a movie called The Big Hit. Similar in tone and execution IMO (maybe a *tad* lighter, but still in the same vein).

Shaneus

This is the best thing to come from that Jay-Z thread:
thumbs-up-computer-kid-gif.gif

1q86mlx.gif

LOL Franco actually covered that people think he is pretentious. In his book "Being James Franco" apparently.
I really, really dig him. He toes that fine line of seeming like a cool (and normal) guy outside of his job without trying in the slightest (or giving a shit). Similar case in point: Patrick Dempsey.

Deadman, did you activate your SR4 online pass and dlc codes? They won't work with your AU account, so I hope you have a UK/EU account else you won't be able to redeem them.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Another melbgaf comes to an end.

Evl can't believe you left so early.

Hopefully everyone enjoyed their bubble tea cocktails

That sounds incredible. Like, actual cocktails with alcohol? Actually to be honest that sounds a little sickening, in the best kind of way.
I was skeptical, but they were actually pretty good. The tapioca blobs or whatever I could've done without personally, but they were otherwise cool.

Edit: Anyone else back the LA Game Space Kickstarter? Sounds like the games are finally about to come out.

Top Bottom