• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Jintor

Salmon is easy as balls to cook.

I wanna try Trout and steamed Barrumundi at some point. MMm, steamed white fish. So good.

Fish is super easy to cook which is awesome. Not really into it though tbh, more of a chicken man.

GTA ONLINE!
Free weekend on Xbox live so there should be plenty of action.

Xbox 360
reptilescorpio

PS3

Add your accounts and lets get grinding! Mo people, mo cheevos!

Looks like a ton of fun going by my Twitter feed.

jambo

All were on the chopping block even before finals, bad timing I guess for some of them since the Cats have a ton of young players trying to break into the main team.

I haven't been following the Cats closely this year so I didn't realise they were all set to possibly go.

Chapman still seems odd. Sounds like the Tigers are going to nab him.

I haven't been following the Cats closely this year so I didn't realise they were all set to possibly go.

Chapman still seems odd. Sounds like the Tigers are going to nab him.

Yeah Chapman has been getting a little short on gametime the last year or two, would be a fan-fucking-tastic impact player off the bench (or as a sub). Would love to see him at our club. Tigers were the only ones to show interest earlier on but it sounds like Pickering is keeping his cards close at them moment.

GTA ONLINE!
Free weekend on Xbox live so there should be plenty of action.

Xbox 360
reptilescorpio
viperthejedi

PS3
ruthlesbarbarian

Hamchan! Codswallop! 360 or PS3?

Fredescu

Would also recommend a tuna steak. Same principle as steak and overcooked tuna is still just fine (though not nearly as nice!).

Agreed. I think salmon is a good place to start because it's a bit easier to tell when it's done right, but Tuna and the like are just as forgiving. Either way I would get used to tuna and salmon before trying the more delicate stuff like snapper.

Import Zelda then. Stop complaining. It's a WiiU game. Embrace the fact that a WiiU game has been released!

It's only lost exclusive rights. It will be on ABC and other stations.

I KNOW BUT THAT STILL OUTRAGES ME

THIS IS THE FIRST FUCKING STEP MARK MY WORDS

ABC BUDGET WILL BE FUCKING SLASHED

MARK MY WORDS

FIRST WE LOST BBC

NEXT WE WILL LOSE THE CRICKET AND PEPPA PIG

MARK MY WORDS

Fusebox

Banned
Must have wasted 2 hours last night trying to get into GTAO. Kept getting stuck on waiting for players or launching game, nothing I did would get me into that first race.

Double posting because Knights of Pen & Paper is 50% off and at a buck fifty you need to buy that shit if you have an Android device and have been looking for a playable pocket RPG: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=br.com.beholdstudios.knightspp&hl=en-GB

This is a really, really good game people, I finished it on iOS when it first came out.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fred, Lets build me a PC.

Display (Prob the viewsonic $900 thing at the moment)
Mobo ?
CPU? Maybe the 4770K for the HT/Next gen?
CPU? Maybe AMD 8350

GPU? Either the R290X for maybe a dual 7970 setup? Depending on price.

Ram? 16GB i would imagine is good enough these days.

Thoughts? Excess? yes, Probably.

Must have wasted 2 hours last night trying to get into GTAO. Kept getting stuck on waiting for players or launching game, nothing I did would get me into that first race.

I did the same last night however mine worked flawlessly. Was quite surprised. An hour flew by and all I did was the intro stuff and spent the rest of the time shooting/ramming other players. Good times.

Yes, I did MEL-LAX one leg and it was damn well worth it.

Will put in the minimum bid and see what happens. Knowing my luck I'll only get it on the way there and not the return leg.

markot

Banned
Why bother. Pc will continue to be pissed on by the last gen visuals of consoles. Nothings gonna push that system outside of one game. If you are lucky!

Fredescu

Fred, Lets build me a PC.

Display (Prob the viewsonic $900 thing at the moment)
Mobo ?
CPU? Maybe the 4770K for the HT/Next gen?
CPU? Maybe AMD 8350

GPU? Either the R290X for maybe a dual 7970 setup? Depending on price.

Ram? 16GB i would imagine is good enough these days.

Thoughts? Excess? yes, Probably.

I haven't been keeping up very well, but with the rumours that Watch Dogs supports hyperthreading I would get on that i7 shit for sure. RAM seems to have gone up a lot in price. I would always go for a single card as a matter of principle.

I am not super trif happy that Zelda is full price...

It's $68 at Big W. Cheapest I've come across.

Apparently they are selling some old Wii stuff for $10 like Wii Play with a Wiimote and Mon Hun 3 with a pro controller. I'm gonna go check it out at lunch time.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I haven't been keeping up very well, but with the rumours that Watch Dogs supports hyperthreading I would get on that i7 shit for sure. RAM seems to have gone up a lot in price. I would always go for a single card as a matter of principle.

Yea. My issue is mostly that, going by the latest anand tests, metro 2033 and sleeping dogs will hit 60fps @ ultra @ 1440p with dual 7970s. A single card will get you like 30FPS.

There's still an insane requirement for 1440p at the moment.

My other thinking was. A single R290X now and then throw in another 6 months down the track when they are cheaper and I need more power. By then AMD should have sorted their driver shit out.

Yea. My issue is mostly that, going by the latest anand tests, metro 2033 and sleeping dogs will hit 60fps @ ultra @ 1440p with dual 7970s. A single card will get you like 30FPS.

There's still an insane requirement for 1440p at the moment.

My other thinking was. A single R290X now and then throw in another 6 months down the track when they are cheaper and I need more power. By then AMD should have sorted their driver shit out.

Buy a smaller monitor and downsample!

Danoss

New Bundle of Holding is up!

This one is a special one for Unknown Armies. A great game considered by many industry designers and writers to be one of the best RPGs out there. Even if you don't ever play the game, it's an excellent read you'll be glad to own. The minimum price $4 for the core book is an absolute steal.

I have a hard time summarising it and keeping it sounding as cool as it actually is, so don't take my word for it. I have read it best summarised as 'The Tim Powers RPG', where anyone who has read his novels might have an idea what this means (I have one of his books on my shelf, unread). For the rest of us, the game is about personal responsibility, that magick is real and, if you wield it (and why wouldn't you want to, especially after reading how it works), will ruin your life.

Each character has an obsession and a passion which are, of course, linked and drive them forward. A player may wish to play an Adept and their obsession ties into this. Maybe you're obsessed with self-help books, conspiracies, cutting yourself, or binge-drinking. Adepts have the ability to use magick and this is where obsessions come into play. By feeding your obsession you gain a 'charge' and the bigger the hit, the bigger the charge and the bigger the resulting magick effect can be and range from Minor to Significant to Major.

Lets take the Adept school of Dipsomancy as an example, these are the boozehounds and gain charges by drinking. Have a beer, a wine or a shot of spirits and gain a Minor charge. Drinking from a vessel of significance like Bin Laden's ablution cup gains a Significant charge. Drinking a unique liquor such as the remnants of Heath Ledger's last bottle gains a Major charge. Each drink, except a unique one, is impairing to the Dipsomancer, but don't sober up or you lose all your charges. The magick this fuels can turn many negative aspects of being drunk into a positive, but some may only start out that way and soon your drinking just to handle the personal demon you intentionally created.

Strangely, or actually appropriate to this game and what it's about, there's a scenario written for it called 'Fly to Heaven'. Except for the target, this scenario is essentially 9/11 and was published in 1999.

So, I'm not a seafood person however I do want to try some fish over the next week as I attempt to actually eat what's suggested for my diet stomach thing.

What fish should i cook? Whats good? easy? blah blah.

I'm not much of a seafood person either, but here's how I cook it for my gran, and others when they visit.

You can do this with any fillet of fish, but I've used Barramundi as it tastes pretty good and can be considered boneless.

Get a piece of foil big enough to place the fish in and have overlapping sides able to fold over it completely. Place the fish on there, sprinkle it with some lemon pepper. Slice up some tomato and place them over the peppered fish. Slice an onion into rings and throw some on top of the tomato. Fold all the foil sides over the fish, it is now ready to cook.

You can do this on a barbecue or on the stove at home, there's little difference. I usually do it on the stove, pouring a little oil in a skillet to aid heat transfer and heat it up on the stove to a medium/medium-low heat. Place the parcel in the skillet or on the bbq and cook for up to about 10 minutes. You can check on how it's doing so you're sure when it's cooked or close to it and completely open the foil up when there's a couple of mins to go, which will evaporate most of the excess liquid.

That's it! It's very easy and I usually serve it with a side of vegetables. Depending on the initial temperature the fish hits the plate at, it may stick to the foil a little, so just serve it on a plate in the foil and trim the sides off. It doesn't stick in a bad way, you might get even a nice crispy underside, it just avoids leaving foil behind on the fish or making a mess of the fish when trying to plate it.

Fredescu

When is the R290X due? I would hold out for one of those for sure.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
When is the R290X due? I would hold out for one of those for sure.

Should be soon, Next few weeks by the sounds of it. At the moment you can preorder for like $700 US at newegg. So it's an expensive card.

@Danoss, Thanks for the suggestion! I will give that a shot as well. Hopefully I can stomach fish as it is good for you, get me more healthy and omega-3s and all that stuffs thats in fishies.

senahorse

LOL at the people that thought the 290X was going to come in at 4-500. If it's 700 in the US it will most certainly be 8-900+ here depending on brand.

Not bad if it's cheaper and faster than the 780. Might trigger some Nvidia price cuts.

It's actually more expensive (albeit by only 30-50 on most models) then the 780, most on newegg are under 700.

Fredescu

It's actually more expensive (albeit by only 30-50 on most models) then the 780, most on newegg are under 700.

Ah, I thought the 780 was $1k here, but it's either come down or I'm misremembering. It will be interesting to see if the AMD card can really trade blows with the Titan.

senahorse

Ah, I thought the 780 was $1k here, but it's either come down or I'm misremembering. It will be interesting to see if the AMD card can really trade blows with the Titan.

I think we are both a bit confused :) $700US for 290X at newegg, 630-700+ for 780 at newegg. The 780's here are $730-800+. However they were more expensive when they launched due to low yields, which could certainly be the case for the new AMD cards depending on how many are available at launch. The Titans are all 1000+, so if AMD can match that performance it will be interesting. You can easily get Titan performance from a 780 but that's due to factory OC or user tweaking so kind of a moot point until we understand how far the 290X can be pushed.

Either way it kind of sucks, NVidia started with their stupid prices, AMD are matching them (who can blame them). Hopefully we end up with a new GPU war and gamers eventually reap the rewards.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

You could always pick up a 7990 for $750 and it blows the titan out of the water. It's a dual GPU card though of course, so it still has it's downfalls.

It's an odd time.

senahorse

Did they end up improving crossfire performance? I remember it being one driver update away last time I was paying attention.

I think it has been improved, but still doesn't scale as well as SLI. I believe micro-stuttering and frame latency may still be an issue also, though I haven't been following it closely over the past couple of months.

edit: it seems they may have improved frame latency issues with 13.8

Dead Man

Would also recommend a tuna steak. Same principle as steak and overcooked tuna is still just fine (though not nearly as nice!).

Yeah, love some tuna steak, and if it is over cooked, it is just a bit like tinned tuna, but still very edible.
I'm not much of a seafood person either, but here's how I cook it for my gran, and others when they visit.

You can do this with any fillet of fish, but I've used Barramundi as it tastes pretty good and can be considered boneless.

Get a piece of foil big enough to place the fish in and have overlapping sides able to fold over it completely. Place the fish on there, sprinkle it with some lemon pepper. Slice up some tomato and place them over the peppered fish. Slice an onion into rings and throw some on top of the tomato. Fold all the foil sides over the fish, it is now ready to cook.

You can do this on a barbecue or on the stove at home, there's little difference. I usually do it on the stove, pouring a little oil in a skillet to aid heat transfer and heat it up on the stove to a medium/medium-low heat. Place the parcel in the skillet or on the bbq and cook for up to about 10 minutes. You can check on how it's doing so you're sure when it's cooked or close to it and completely open the foil up when there's a couple of mins to go, which will evaporate most of the excess liquid.

That's it! It's very easy and I usually serve it with a side of vegetables. Depending on the initial temperature the fish hits the plate at, it may stick to the foil a little, so just serve it on a plate in the foil and trim the sides off. It doesn't stick in a bad way, you might get even a nice crispy underside, it just avoids leaving foil behind on the fish or making a mess of the fish when trying to plate it.

That sounds easy as, I think I'll be giving that a go for sure.

She's banned for 10 days, she says. She also says to tell you guys "Hello". We are having dinner together on Saturday night IN PERSON. Because, friendship.

Glad it's a temp, Hi Lexi.

Stackboy

Lexi update: "I think I exceeded my meltdowns per month allowance" And it's only the 4th

She also feels like me relaying her messages is like prison visits.

Wut. Woman tries to ram the White House with a 1 year old kid in the back of her car? Nope, no mental problems in that country.

Depending on the initial temperature the fish hits the plate at, it may stick to the foil a little, so just serve it on a plate in the foil and trim the sides off. It doesn't stick in a bad way, you might get even a nice crispy underside, it just avoids leaving foil behind on the fish or making a mess of the fish when trying to plate it.
I always recommend finding a really good quality tinfoil as one that cooks to the point of sticking is irritating as fuckkkkkkkkk. The last few we have had are terrible for it, can't recall the brand I used to use which was almost perfect in that regard.

Also that RPG sounds interesting! I'll do some reading on the 9/11-esque thing.

Not bad if it's cheaper and faster than the 780. Might trigger some Nvidia price cuts.
Rumours were price cuts in November, can't remember where I read that though. Also more low tier cards apparently.

She's banned for 10 days, she says. She also says to tell you guys "Hello". We are having dinner together on Saturday night IN PERSON. Because, friendship.
HEY LEXI

At least your productivity should be much higher this week! I've always said that if I got banned from NeoGAF my son would finally get to play that game of catch with me.

Either way it kind of sucks, NVidia started with their stupid prices, AMD are matching them (who can blame them). Hopefully we end up with a new GPU war and gamers eventually reap the rewards.
I thought competition was meant to bring prices down! :(

I don't anyone has ever claimed that there are zero mental health issues in the United States of America.

I wasn't quoting anyone directly, more using sarcasm to point out that I think they need to do more to improve mental health in the US, along with pretty much every country out there (especially here).

Top Bottom