• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

senahorse

A couple of the ones I have done in recent times had around 10 criteria but requested it be no more than 2 pages, that's even tougher.

Shaneus

Hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe. I don't have many games to play right now. AusPOST costs are painful though. Do you have a carrier pigeon you could duct tape it to?
We'll work something out, I'm not in any great rush for you to cover the $10 wound up costing, nor the few dollars in postage :)

It's so odd... one of the Lucid guys in the PGR appreciation thread said that Blur was actually *far* more technically advanced than PGR4 was. And firing it up on the 360 last night, he's damn well right. Just about the best looking racer on the system, I think (with the amount of action onscreen and particles and stuff). Other than the resolution and framerate (flat 30fps) I honestly can't tell the difference between it and the PC version. Given the PC port wasn't done by them directly, I think I've noticed a few little touches that didn't make it from the 360... so it could well look *better*.

Had my job interview with the ABC this morning. Went pretty well, but they said there's only one position going, not a bunch like I'd thought/hoped. So I'm not mega confident, but still hopeful. I'll hear back next week apparently
Pullin' for ya, dude! Hope you get it.
Put The Goodies back on.

BTW The Ford article is interesting and makes some good points, but I think the biggest concern (and maybe it's my place of residence that's affecting this POV) is that Ford has been a staple of Geelong employment for over 100 years. Coupled with the uncertain future (another likely closure) of Alcoa as well (directly employing fewer people, but far larger when you take contractors into account), I think *that* is where the worry is coming from. At least, for Geelong and Victoria.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Halal isn't about preparation of food (besides slaughtering animals in a specific way), it's a list of rules relating to what muslims can/can't eat (e.g. pork, blood), just like kosher is with jews.
I believe there is a argument that the way the slaughtering of animals is done in regards to halal is more humane than the traditional methods. Not so sure if it's valid, but I heard it first-hand from a muslim once.

I have spent all day on them for one job. Mind you, listening to the bombcast probably didn't speed it up much.

Fucking Prince 2 gibberish. They literally have a book with all of these pre-made phrases than government people select a few and chuck into a job description.

I've seen it first hand when my wife had to put together her own job description (when her position went from temporary to permanent).

Such a waste of time for something that's unlikely to go far.

markot

Banned
Thing is. Games are what? Software or art?!

If theyre art, as they claim in courts. Then art is resaleable. For instance books, cds, and movie discs.

If theyre software, then their resaleability is questionabley, since almost no software is resellable once purchase is purchased.

PC did this already, and it pretty much just followed pc software into that domain.

You dont buy a product, you purchase a license, and you have to agree to 7 page tos every time you install something.

I do think this did hurt the pc scene though, because it meant less money flowing through. Even if some of that money is from resales, it meant stronger retailers who could afford more space for..games!

Hell, even the ability to give people games from my library free of charge would be good on steam >.< stupid games ill never play there just sitting there.

Also it depends. You can resell a dvd or cd, but not a movie or music you buy digitally!

senahorse

Love it or hate it, it's pretty much the future for games, this is just a stepping stone. Another generation or two there may not even be a physical option.

markot

Banned
Meh. Its all about self interest in the end.

Apple wanted music to be drm free so people would be more comfortable buying it from itunes. But you cant sell your itunes library, or even give it to people when you die!

Its all about the content providers, and less about the people who make the content.

Ironically. Nintendos 'backwardness' in online affairs mean that you can resale digital purchases by selling a console with those purchases tied to it!

It's so odd... one of the Lucid guys in the PGR appreciation thread said that Blur was actually *far* more technically advanced than PGR4 was. And firing it up on the 360 last night, he's damn well right. Just about the best looking racer on the system, I think (with the amount of action onscreen and particles and stuff). Other than the resolution and framerate (flat 30fps) I honestly can't tell the difference between it and the PC version. Given the PC port wasn't done by them directly, I think I've noticed a few little touches that didn't make it from the 360... so it could well look *better*.

BTW The Ford article is interesting and makes some good points, but I think the biggest concern (and maybe it's my place of residence that's affecting this POV) is that Ford has been a staple of Geelong employment for over 100 years. Coupled with the uncertain future (another likely closure) of Alcoa as well (directly employing fewer people, but far larger when you take contractors into account), I think *that* is where the worry is coming from. At least, for Geelong and Victoria.
Blur always looked amazeballs but Acti didn't a fucking awful job with the marketing tact and it just kinda plopped out into the market without any hype.

Should have been pushed as PGR on mushrooms.

Ford closing will hurt the image of Geelong as a whole for business. Same with Alcoa, probably more so. End of an era. They should have done something to stop the slide years ago though, even when I moved to Geelong in 2005 there was talk about how terribly run both were.

I believe there is a argument that the way the slaughtering of animals is done in regards to halal is more humane than the traditional methods. Not so sure if it's valid, but I heard it first-hand from a muslim once.
The spirit of the idea is that it is more humane, yes.

Shaneus

I have spent all day on them for one job. Mind you, listening to the bombcast probably didn't speed it up much.

Fucking Prince 2 gibberish. They literally have a book with all of these pre-made phrases than government people select a few and chuck into a job description.

I've seen it first hand when my wife had to put together her own job description (when her position went from temporary to permanent).

Such a waste of time for something that's unlikely to go far.
The Shadow and the Flame? Sure, it had Pantalooned Prince and not Jumpsuit Prince, but it was still a pretty good game.

The Shadow and the Flame? Sure, it had Pantalooned Prince and not Jumpsuit Prince, but it was still a pretty good game.

Prince 2- Government project management methodology.

It's partly why Ministers speak the way they do when they are talking about their portfolio

Shaneus

Prince 2- Government project management methodology.

It's partly why Ministers speak the way they do when they are talking about their portfolio
I knew you weren't talking about video games ON A VIDEO GAME FORUM. Duh :p

Blur always looked amazeballs but Acti didn't a fucking awful job with the marketing tact and it just kinda plopped out into the market without any hype.

Should have been pushed as PGR on mushrooms.
Yeah, it really should have. Promotion was really, REALLY bad for it (remember that Mario Kart dig it had?). Never mind it coming out the same time as Split/Second (though I suspect Blur may have sold better?).

Ford closing will hurt the image of Geelong as a whole for business. Same with Alcoa, probably more so. End of an era. They should have done something to stop the slide years ago though, even when I moved to Geelong in 2005 there was talk about how terribly run both were.
I don't know a lot about the inner workings, but that's the impression I get, yeah. I don't know if my dad knows many people working there now (he's been retired from there for about 13-14 years now) but I'm pretty sure everyone will know someone who knows someone who's losing a job out of this, despite them having been downsizing for some time now.

Alcoa will be bigger, though. But I think that's still in some kind of limbo where there may be a small hope for the workers there. Alcoa has a bigger employment impact, but losing Ford will force a huge change in identity for the city, I think.

Be interesting to see what happens with the Cats sponsorship, too. It's apparently one of the (if not the) longest running sports team sponsorships in the world.

magenta

Thing is. Games are what? Software or art?!

If theyre art, as they claim in courts. Then art is resaleable. For instance books, cds, and movie discs.

If theyre software, then their resaleability is questionabley, since almost no software is resellable once purchase is purchased.

PC did this already, and it pretty much just followed pc software into that domain.

You dont buy a product, you purchase a license, and you have to agree to 7 page tos every time you install something.

I do think this did hurt the pc scene though, because it meant less money flowing through. Even if some of that money is from resales, it meant stronger retailers who could afford more space for..games!

Hell, even the ability to give people games from my library free of charge would be good on steam >.< stupid games ill never play there just sitting there.

Also it depends. You can resell a dvd or cd, but not a movie or music you buy digitally!

I always thought that games were always deemed as software that was given to you as a license, a CD/DVD/cartridges was just a form of distribution. Reselling a game is trading the license.

Did you have to write long winded selection criteria?
I fucking hate those.

Oh yeah. I think its why they liked me enough to interview me though. I ticked enough boxes even though I don't have broadcast experience.

Pullin' for ya, dude! Hope you get it.
Put The Goodies back on.

Thanks dude! I think I could actually be decent at this, so let's hope they agree.

Speaking of Lucid, do we know when we'll find out what they're doing? Like is PGR still a possibility here? Or is it blind optimism at this stage?

Dead Man

I always thought that games were always deemed as software that was given to you as a license, a CD/DVD/cartridges was just a form of distribution. Reselling a game is trading the license.

Yeah, the license thing is just a nice legal fiction to get around the fact that people can resell the physical cd or dvd.

It's legally enforceable bullshit. If the same logic was applied to books (masses of text/data, distributed on physical media) then it becomes clear how stupid it is.

Omikron

Yeah, the license thing is just a nice legal fiction to get around the fact that people can resell the physical cd or dvd.

It's legally enforceable bullshit. If the same logic was applied to books (masses of text/data, distributed on physical media) then it becomes clear how stupid it is.
IThink in a digital age that equivalence doesn't quite work.

War has changed!
War never changes.

Really? No one got this yet?

Yeah, the argument is that zapping them first causes more pain than slicing the neck in the right way and there was a study done once that backed it up.

Not sure I buy it, but neither way is great, so...

Shaneus

Speaking of Lucid, do we know when we'll find out what they're doing? Like is PGR still a possibility here? Or is it blind optimism at this stage?
You're probably asking the wrong (ie. slightly *too* fanatical and *too* optimistic), but all the evidence and the whole situation points to it being made and getting released on the 360 as opposed to the Xbox One. The latter point is more speculation on my part (and a few others) based on the situation with the launch and FM5 reveal (and a fair bit of logic) so take that as you will. But regardless of platform, it's almost certainly a lock.

magenta

But software had always been built on the idea of you buying a license to use, you never actually own it. Been like this since the beginning as all software is copyright protected unless fallen into public domain (which very little has). The copyright for the work is retained by the publisher. You don't own the copyright when you buy a book either, it is also still retained by the publisher/author. Jintor probably has a better idea of this than me >.<

Probably why many software companies are changing to a subscription services model like Office 2013 and Adobe Creative Cloud, it becomes a service they can revoke the moment you stop paying and avoid having any license to be traded. When digital licenses are trade able I expect to see this business model in video games become more popular.

Hopefully they make an all new megathread with updated information. The OP is from 5 years ago.

Dead Man

But software had always been built on the idea of you buying a license to use, you never actually own it. Been like this since the beginning as all software is copyright protected unless fallen into public domain (which very little has). The copyright for the work is retained by the publisher. You don't own the copyright when you buy a book either, it is also still retained by the publisher/author. Jintor probably has a better idea of this than me >.<

Probably why many software companies are changing to a subscription services model like Office 2013 and Adobe Creative Cloud, it becomes a service they can revoke the moment you stop paying and avoid having any license to be traded. When digital licenses are trade able I expect to see this business model in video games become more popular.
Yes, which is when the problem started. It was stupid in a lot of cases then, it is stupid in a lot of cases now.

I'm not talking about owning the copyright, but owning the item.

Jintor

I actually don't know much about resale doctrine in Australia... consumer/competition is more about misrepresentation, cartels and product defects so far.

Yeah, the argument is that zapping them first causes more pain than slicing the neck in the right way and there was a study done once that backed it up.

Yeah, I try not to think about the food I eat as being a thing that died for me to eat it.

A few threads got locked with no explanation. The avatar rating thread is locked now too.

This was a helpful thread though...

markot

Banned
I think the difference is, with gamesssssss, theyre 'on the disc'. Like you dont install things traditionally, so they can be resold. With software you buy it, install it, but before you do you have to agree to a tos. And once its installed you can give away the discs... so there needs to be some kind of 'drm' to enforce ownership of that. (The tos and license key usually, which are non transferable)

PC gaming started suffering when you needed codes to play multiplayer, resale died cause you couldnt play mp in games that in many cases, that was the main draw card.

I can see the argument for drm on installed software, but for stuff that is mainly on discs, and the install is optional... even though its not on the xbox thats not reallllllllllly needed, its just there to drm ya.

Digital seems to be the decline of user rights >.<!

However on the flip side, given the digitalisation, how can they justify different pricing structures? With boxed goods it makes some sense, not really but still. But with digital, the costs remain the same no matter the consumer is in Russia or Rangoon.

The Australian standards mandate that all slaughtered animals must be stunned at the moment of death so that they feel no pain. This is done on the basis that a painless death is more humane.

Halal slaughter in Australia, however, has the animal's throat cut, then the stunning takes place immediately afterward. This is because under the rules of halal slaughter, the animal cannot be killed using a cruel method such as being beaten to death.

The argument is that the stunning method of choice, a pair of rapid fires pistons through the skull on either side of the head, is akin to bashing the animal's head in. Thus the animal suffers until put out of its misery with a cut throat.

I don't think there's much difference to it, but the RSPCA is against halal slaughter on the basis that the animal feels its throat being cut using this method.

i1eMxruLwmppi.jpg
Can't wait for the PL advert, system wars makes me all tingly inside

magenta

I think the difference is, with gamesssssss, theyre 'on the disc'. Like you dont install things traditionally, so they can be resold. With software you buy it, install it, but before you do you have to agree to a tos. And once its installed you can give away the discs... so there needs to be some kind of 'drm' to enforce ownership of that. (The tos and license key usually, which are non transferable)

PC gaming started suffering when you needed codes to play multiplayer, resale died cause you couldnt play mp in games that in many cases, that was the main draw card.

I can see the argument for drm on installed software, but for stuff that is mainly on discs, and the install is optional... even though its not on the xbox thats not reallllllllllly needed, its just there to drm ya.

Digital seems to be the decline of user rights >.<!

However on the flip side, given the digitalisation, how can they justify different pricing structures? With boxed goods it makes some sense, not really but still. But with digital, the costs remain the same no matter the consumer is in Russia or Rangoon.

Regular console games are still software regardless of whether you have to install anything or not. The disc is one of many viable distribution methods available to get software to a consumer. Software is any set of machine-readable instructions (programming code) that directs a computer's processor to perform specific operations which includes video games. Whether you read software from a disc or from a hard drive is irreverent IMO.

I think digital licenses are still a grey area, we need a few court cases to determine if we able to sell a to a game license on Steam (which we should IMO). I don't think this has been contested.

War never changes.

Really? No one got this yet?

are you in another land yet?

James Cameron's Avatar: The Game is surprisingly fun! Almost like Ubi went for a MonHunter lite take on the franchise. Was expecting a short tie in but having a ton of fun exploring and shooting shit up with a bunch of different weapons.

lol that is so awesome. He probably recorded that stuff for Daft Punk years ago at this point.

Shaneus

Yo rep, Gunslinger can be got on GMG with VPN ^_^

Clear all cookies, connect via UK VPN, login, buy, change address details to UK (I think it would only let me use a credit card otherwise? Can't remember why I changed it, but I did), select Paypal and go through the motions. Normally it cracks the sads I think when it sees your Paypal region is different to the website or something, but this time it was fine.

Steam price: $18. GMG: $11.74 or something. Most recent voucher didn't seem to work.

lol that is so awesome. He probably recorded that stuff for Daft Punk years ago at this point.
More than likely... but man, it's just amazing to hear him just jam it out and have fun with it anyway, even when he didn't get to play exactly what he was hoping to. And finding the right sound without having to look at the guitar... there's nothing quite like watching a rad guitar player rocking the shit without having to watch what they're doing.

I meant he recorded it years ago and had forgotten it so it was even more impressive!

Yo rep, Gunslinger can be got on GMG with VPN ^_^

Clear all cookies, connect via UK VPN, login, buy, change address details to UK (I think it would only let me use a credit card otherwise? Can't remember why I changed it, but I did), select Paypal and go through the motions. Normally it cracks the sads I think when it sees your Paypal region is different to the website or something, but this time it was fine.

Steam price: $18. GMG: $11.74 or something. Most recent voucher didn't seem to work.

Did you already buy it? That was my job!

legend166

Great start to Indigenous Round, Adam Goodes gets [allegedly] racially vilified by some dumb bogan in the crowd because he tore Collingwood apart.

Top Bottom