• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Bernbaum

AFL; Eddie Maguire; Talkback radio; Layton Hewitt; My Kitchen Rules; Kochie and Mel; Teenage Gangs; Racism directed specifically towards the Lebanese; Hillsong mega-churches; and Triple M are all hallmarks of a 'Bizarro Australia' that is similar to the Australia I live in, but different in a myriad number of subtle yet unnerving ways.

AFL; Eddie Maguire; Talkback radio; Layton Hewitt; My Kitchen Rules; Kochie and Mel; Teenage Gangs; Racism directed specifically towards the Lebanese; Hillsong mega-churches; and Triple M are all hallmarks of a 'Bizarro Australia' that is similar to the Australia I live in, but different in a myriad number of subtle yet unnerving ways.

QLD too.

Dead Man

Meh, everyone partakes of a limited slice of culture, nobody has the same experience.

Anyone have a good guide and/or a list of recommendations for fixing my Mum's new Windows 8 laptop? Specifically, I wanted to get rid of Metro at startup and put in a task bar and make it as much like 7 as possible. Maybe spruce up a few settings here and there.

Is third party antivirus still a thing? I'm still using Avast at home, but it's been a number of years since I last looked into it and have heard that Windows antivirus has made magnificent strides of late.

To be fair, there's not a lot of overlap between Hillsong mega churchers, Triple M listeners and John Laws fans and they're not likely to hold hands and sing coombaya.

Then again, I always feel this way about the parochial sports played in this country. It is this, above all else, that highlights just how provincial and peripheral we are on the world stage.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Anyone have a good guide and/or a list of recommendations for fixing my Mum's new Windows 8 laptop? Specifically, I wanted to get rid of Metro at startup and put in a task bar and make it as much like 7 as possible. Maybe spruce up a few settings here and there.

Is third party antivirus still a thing? I'm still using Avast at home, but it's been a number of years since I last looked into it and have heard that Windows antivirus has made magnificent strides of late.

There's a couple of options here, Third party apps are required to bring back the start menu

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141702-how-to-bring-the-start-menu-and-button-back-to-windows-8

In terms of AV .. Honestly Microsoft Security Essentials is good enough. You can try and use a third party application like avast, anti-vir and so on, But I personally haven't used one in years. MSE does the job for me.

senahorse

Is there a way I can make a voluntary HECS payment on the weekend? It seems the ATO doesn't have an online portal and the central office is closed. I have before June 1 before indexation is applied but it would be nice if I could get it out of the way now.

quiet friday night in, read a bit, started rewatchin the wire, evenin well spent!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-9210-1362152826-1_preview.gif

Bernbaum

Pics that make you laugh thread and the Simpsons images thread moved to OT-Community.

What a topsy turvy world we are now living in.

There's a couple of options here, Third party apps are required to bring back the start menu

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141702-how-to-bring-the-start-menu-and-button-back-to-windows-8

In terms of AV .. Honestly Microsoft Security Essentials is good enough. You can try and use a third party application like avast, anti-vir and so on, But I personally haven't used one in years. MSE does the job for me.
Thanks for that. Ended up going with Pokki for the start menu and it works great! The best part is it boots right into the desktop by default, so no dealing with metro.

I'm going to have to teach Mum about charms, I think. It's an utterly baffling design decision to have critical functions like settings etc. not be discoverable on the interface without bringing up a hidden menu accessed via a gesture that's never explained. Seriously.

markot

Banned
A: Used game sales are dead. Theyve essentially taken all the gold out of the goose so now eb and co will make next to nothing for trade ins. So theyll end up closed and we wont see any dedicated games retailers anymore I forsee in the future.

B: Windows 8 is pretty much windows 7 with stupid design decisions added on top.

Shaneus

On the intro to the footy segment on 3AW this morning, they played a statement from Adam Goodes, no idea when it was from (last night or this morning or whatever). Holy shit, his attitude and the way he's handled it is nothing short of superhuman. I didn't realise it was A FUCKING 13-YEAR-OLD that said it. Her parents should be fucking shot... you aren't born calling people with darker skin tones "apes", it's ingrained in you from your household. Hope the parents cop 10 times as much shit as their kid does.

Imma go play some more New Vegas now.
On 360
I assume that quote's from New Vegas then? I have no idea :(

Hey Shaneus! Is Split/Second good? I loved Motorstorm Apocalypse.
600 allards ATM.
Dude, you're getting Blur soon >_<
(also, I had it on PC but despised the shit out of it because it was locked to 30fps and I *think* the resolution was limited too, perhaps. And the events around the tracks feel *too* scripted)

Memories of playing New Vegas

"Patrolling the Mojave makes me long for Nuclear Winter"
*crash to desktop*
*crash to desktop*
*change trousers*
*change trousers*

I would love another Fallout SP title from either Bethesda or Obsidian

markot

Banned
My mammories of playing New Vegas.

Played for 30+ hours.

Didnt play for a week or so.

Steam saves lost due to some bug/wipe that they had to do. (I saved on the cloud! THE MUCH HYPED AND IN VOGUE CLOUDSSSS!)

Boo!

GOTY edition of New Vegas ran flawlessly for me. Unlike Fallout 3 which I bought on PC at launch. Couldn't get past the ship place without crashing.
Rebought GOTY edition. Spent half the time reloading saves.
Grabbed GOTY edition for 360 off mate, couldn't get it to stop freezing really early on.

New Vegas GOTY on PC and 360 have both been smooth.

On the intro to the footy segment on 3AW this morning, they played a statement from Adam Goodes, no idea when it was from (last night or this morning or whatever). Holy shit, his attitude and the way he's handled it is nothing short of superhuman. I didn't realise it was A FUCKING 13-YEAR-OLD that said it. Her parents should be fucking shot... you aren't born calling people with darker skin tones "apes", it's ingrained in you from your household. Hope the parents cop 10 times as much shit as their kid does.

I assume that quote's from New Vegas then? I have no idea :(

Dude, you're getting Blur soon >_<
(also, I had it on PC but despised the shit out of it because it was locked to 30fps and I *think* the resolution was limited too, perhaps)

Yeah Goodes came across really well, I believe that it really knocked the shit out of him. I can see that considering the implications that it was such a young girl saying it.
"To come to the boundary line and hear a 13 year old girl call me an 'ape', and it's not the first time on a footy field that I've been referred to as a 'monkey' or an 'ape', it was shattering."

"It's not her fault. She's 13, she's still so innocent. I don't put any blame on her. Unfortunately it's what she hears, in the environment she's grown up in that has made her think that it's ok to call people names."

"It cut me deep, and it affected me so much that I couldn't even be on the ground last night to celebrate a victory, to celebrate indigenous round. I'm still shattered, personally, it's tough."

"I'm loving the support of my friends and family, and people in the social media, it's fantastic, but I think the person who needs the most support right now is the little girl. People need to get around her. She's 13. She's uneducated. If she wants to pick up the phone and call me and apologise I'll take that phone call, and I'll have a conversation with that girl about, 'you know what, you called me a name, and this is how it made me feel'. And it's school stuff."

"I don't know if it's the lowest point in my career, but personally, I don't think I've been more hurt by someone calling me a name than I was last night. Not because of what was said, but because where it came from: a 13-year-old girl. It just hit me that it's not a Collingwood issue, it's not an AFL issue, it's a society issue. It's an issue of what are our parents teaching our kids?"

"I just hope that people give the 13 year old girl the same sort of support because she needs it, her family needs it, and the people around them need it. It's not a witch-hunt, I don't want people to go after this young girl. We've just got to help educate society better so it doesn't happen again."

Also come on dude. You never played Fallout? I thought you owned a PC! You would consume the fuck out of New Vegas.
EDIT: Actually this comes across as me saying it's from Fallout. Here is the tl;dr
Fallout: War, war never changes.
Metal Gear Solid 4: War, war has changed.

So was the gameplay in Split/Second good though? I assume 23fps on 360! I just want explosions and fun driving for $6!

Shaneus

So was the gameplay in Split/Second good though? I assume 23fps on 360! I just want explosions and fun driving for $6!
You have it for $10! It'll be in the mail and you'll have it Tuesday! And you won't even be able to download that on your Xbox One, let alone play it!

Yeah, you'd probably like it. It's, um... have you played Ridge Racer Unbounded? That's about the closest comparison I could draw with it (that isn't Blur). It was developed by a Disney developer, and it kind of feels that way.

Actually, it's probably more like a closed-world Burnout game, but not as fast.

"I think the person who needs the most support right now is the little girl. People need to get around her. She's 13. She's uneducated."
Yeah, that line (along with the others you bolded). Classy stuff.

You have it for $10! It'll be in the mail and you'll have it Tuesday! And you won't even be able to download that on your Xbox One, let alone play it!

Yeah, you'd probably like it. It's, um... have you played Ridge Racer Unbounded? That's about the closest comparison I could draw with it (that isn't Blur). It was developed by a Disney developer, and it kind of feels that way.

Actually, it's probably more like a closed-world Burnout game, but not as fast.

Oh so it's like a good Burnout? Bought!

Also you can never have too many arcade racers!

I think the adam goodes thing was blown way out of proportion tbh. Yes i am i collingwood supporter tho lol.

To clarify- people calling for the girl to be educated are missing the point.

Looks like my 3DS' SD reader is on its way out. Launch unit so it's well passed warranty. Thinking I might as well just upgrade to the XL if I'm going to have to be spending some money anyway. Eyeing the Animal Crossing one. ~$260 shipped from Amazon UK seems pretty good.

can't wait until e3

Considering how poorly it's been holding up lately, there will be no GAF to have questionable threads posted on it come E3.

Top Bottom