• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Fusebox

Banned
8wT71oS.jpeg

Do we know if our Target are doing this?

Spent at least a minute scanning that page trying to see what the catch was while my heart was racing.

Well played.

(I think, not totally up with this stuff!) Plasma is currently better in relation to image speed, less ghosting and input lag, etc. Also a nicer smoother picture. However LCD is still damned good, just sometimes has a bit more ghosting really. Plasma uses a TON more electricity than LCD, if that is something of concern to you.

I'd probably by an LCD all things considered nowadays, even if the image is arguably not as good.

That's a bit out of my price range. Was thinking around $800. I'm keen to stick to Samsung brand wise, unless anyone has other recommendations.

Why is Plasma better than LCD? I play a bunch of games and watch plenty of movies. I've heard LCD is better for both.

Whirlpool has your back.

Plasma:
- consume more power (not much more than LCD nowdays thankfully), dissipate more heat,
- colours do not change with viewing angle (if you move off to one side or up/down – this is a common problem with LCD's).
- faithful colour;
- fast refresh and excellent detail on fast motion,
- good deep blacks and detail in dark shadows;
- the plasma phosphor technology is derived from CRT screens, a mature manufacturing process that produces screens with a very long working life;
- good for 3D.

LCD:
- lowest cost,
- uses less power than plasma,
- colours tend to be inaccurate, or oversaturated (fluorescent "Disney" colour);
- colours may change with viewing angle (if you move off to one side or up/down);
- over time these screens tend to fade or the colours are poor;
- slow refresh frame-to-frame means fast motion will be blurred or not seen at all (eg tennis balls or golf swings, which tend to disappear until they stop).
- Not good for 3D as the refresh rate is slow.

Stackboy

Thanks for the tv help guys. My TV guy was able to repair my LCD and I get it back this afternoon!

It's finally time to unwrap my copy of Batman
and get ready for COD Ghosts next week

Shaneus

Fuck I love next gen meltdowns, I may not get to play any of the games for years but I can smother myself in the rich creamy tears of hyperbole.
I'm not sure how many Vitas can be associated with each PS4, but if it's more than one and you have one (BUY A VITA FFS) you can totes remote play with mine when I'm not using it (which would probably be often, because I'll be too busy playing Marvel Puzzle Quest on iOS).

PS. Man, I think I want that TV... despite being pretty much identical to my current one (46GT30A).

BTW That MP3 thing, as if they won't include it with an update down the track. But TBH, who cares? Were there really that many people that played MP3s directly on their PS3 anyway?

Audio CD thing sucks though.

That MP3 thing, as if they won't include it with an update down the track. ... Audio CD thing sucks though.
Except that if they're not including it because they don't want to pay the licensing fees, they'll never appear unless they change their mind on that. Odd though that they'd spring for the DVD/Blu Ray licensing and not audio CD, especially.

Shaneus

Probably because they own or are a part of the BR conglomerate or whatever, aren't they?

And is there a licensing fee for MP3? I didn't think there was. Not like Dolby or DTS or something like that. I wonder if there's OGG support (bahaha, like anyone uses that anymore).

Probably because they own or are a part of the BR conglomerate or whatever, aren't they?

And is there a licensing fee for MP3? I didn't think there was. Not like Dolby or DTS or something like that. I wonder if there's OGG support (bahaha, like anyone uses that anymore).
There is a licensing fee for mp3 as far as I am aware. It is a patented thing. Interestingly, Sony helped develop DLNA (not sure if they're still a part of it) so it is weird they're not including any DLNA stuff.

Gazunta

So what am I meant to just throw out my entire Laser Disc collection now?!

And what about my precious Video CDs?!

NON-EXISTENT PRE-ORDER CANCELLED

superior wii u versions?
clanpyta9pe8.gif

$48 for 360/PS3 version at launch from Target. So good.

Except that if they're not including it because they don't want to pay the licensing fees, they'll never appear unless they change their mind on that. Odd though that they'd spring for the DVD/Blu Ray licensing and not audio CD, especially.
I expect it's because fuck all people played audio CD's on it.

Or possibly they didn't have time to work on it before launch.

Like how Microsoft have said a ton of stuff is coming to Xbox One but they won't even begin to look at how to do that until after launch (external HDD's, etc). Sony are being up front about it at least.

Still a fee I am pretty sure.

What a fucking joke.

Let me guess, neither can play .mkv either?

All I fucking care about is if it will play .mp4's. I have like 3 .mkv files, I thought they were shunned aside from super high def after the latest encodes a year or so ago?

Rlan

Looking at getting a new TV at the moment, but I'd also like to have it in the living room. I'd also like to be able to hook up my computer to it, but it's in another (close) room.

What would be the best way to have the computer hooked up to the TV? Is there a good way to wirelessly stream my computer video and audio to my TV easily?

Looking at getting a new TV at the moment, but I'd also like to have it in the living room. I'd also like to be able to hook up my computer to it, but it's in another (close) room.

What would be the best way to have the computer hooked up to the TV? Is there a good way to wirelessly stream my computer video and audio to my TV easily?

I actually use the program PS3 Media Server for this, and stream via the PS3. It works surprisingly well!

Mr. Tone

Maybe something like
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23040 ? No idea if it's any good. Are you streaming media, or do you actually want to use your PC on the TV?

AC4 is fucking fantastic. Feels great. Love the art direction. Love, love, LOVE the level design. All the pirate stuff puts a shit eating grin on my face. Certain moments draw me back into the old Monkey Island games. The score is also really great at drawing those jaunty, pirate feeling out of you.

Totally makes up for AC3 being a wildlife hunting game.

That's a little expensive for a mission pack for a game that launched in 2007 no?

Edit: Oh wait, were you talking about Batman? Not hate from me if that's the case.
Batman 3 and AssCreed4 are both $48. Battlefield 4 is $58 I think.

Does anybody think any local stores like Target, Kmart, Big W or Myer etc will have PS4's in stock at launch?

Possibly but will be really unknown until a few days before hand, Sony seem to be upping our stock so the 2014 pre-orders shifted into December. They also had talked about wanting stock of shelves day one to increase awareness but it will be unlikely at this point.

Places like Myer that haven't done pre-orders may indeed have stock day one for walk ins but again, we won't know until those retailers detail what is going to happen.

I asked a similar question a while back (and never did anything about it). Someone suggested an HDMI over Ethernet device. Not wireless but it'll do what you want.

I asked a similar question a while back (and never did anything about it). Someone suggested an HDMI over Ethernet device. Not wireless but it'll do what you want.

HDMI over ethernet device... interesting.

I wouldn't mind playing some PC games from my (not particularly) comfy couch using a controller, but I'm way too lazy to actually set it up and would also need a controller solution (I'm using wired 360 pad).

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Depends whatyou want to do.

Do you want to simply push media files etc? (any dlna enabled device thing from jb hifi will fit this)

Or do you want to stream/ output your desktop directly? If so and you have a newer laptop Intel only atm tho there's mirrorcast or something, just had a play around with it then and a BlackBerry 730, worked well.

But assiming you don't have that... not sure. some kind of hdmi sender/ receiver? I use something similar for consoles but it's analog only, can out put the red white yellow cables to one hub, that hub transmits radio waves that the 2nd device in another room picks up

AC4 is fucking fantastic. Feels great. Love the art direction. Love, love, LOVE the level design. All the pirate stuff puts a shit eating grin on my face. Certain moments draw me back into the old Monkey Island games. The score is also really great at drawing those jaunty, pirate feeling out of you.

Totally makes up for AC3 being a wildlife hunting game.

Batman 3 and AssCreed4 are both $48. Battlefield 4 is $58 I think.

That's my concern with AC4, are people saying it is good because it is actually so OR because AC3 was so bad that AC4 feels good just by default?

In any case, I'm not getting it on current gen. Probably wait few months for it to be free on Ps Plus.

Any deals for sub $60 COD ghosts PS3? Need to gift one to a friend next week for his birthday.

Speaking of birthdays,

happy_birthday_octopus_purple_photo-r263dd9c29b8c42f1b25aead743f44c97_a9jdq_8byvr_512.jpg

:p

I actually use the program PS3 Media Server for this, and stream via the PS3. It works surprisingly well!

Been using PS3 media server for a long time, never disappoints.

A few of their blu ray players do.

Must be the newer ones then, I specifically went for a Panasonic home theatre over a Sony one because the Panny plays almost every video format while Sony has strict reservations against mkv and mpeg files. Some sony devices don't detect NTFS drives either, while the Panny reads my 1TB drives flawlessly.

Rlan

Depends whatyou want to do.

Do you want to simply push media files etc? (any dlna enabled device thing from jb hifi will fit this)

Or do you want to stream/ output your desktop directly? If so and you have a newer laptop Intel only atm tho there's mirrorcast or something, just had a play around with it then and a BlackBerry 730, worked well.

But assiming you don't have that... not sure. some kind of hdmi sender/ receiver? I use something similar for consoles but it's analog only, can out put the red white yellow cables to one hub, that hub transmits radio waves that the 2nd device in another room picks up

Basically want to play some of my PC games through it. Just got a new PC, and bought Batman: AO, but would be nice to play on the big screen without fucking about too much.

I do have my old PC, which is still up to the task, which I might hook up to the TV directly anyhow to play movies and such. It's still pretty good, so I could stream from one PC to the next with something?

If this were the case, I wouldn't mind that much. Unfortunately it's the exact opposite and I will be glad to see the back of these little shits.

The difference between a responsible cat owner and a stereotypical one. It's ridiculous how much of a disparity there is between the requirements of a cat owner and a dog owner.

Do pet cats normally have a collar? The ones I've seen don't seem to have one.

Also, I never thought cats would climb on roofs and run over the tiles.

Not sure what's happening over here though:

Pussy checking out pussy?

Mr. Tone

Can anyone with this Panasonic model comment on the input lag present? I've heard mixed things about whether it is bad or not.

I have the 60 inch version, and while there is lag, I haven't really been bothered by it in games. I tend to notice it more with movies and TV (lip sync being slightly out etc.), but I can compensate for that in my receiver. I don't usually play fast-paced games on it, so maybe that has an effect. I think it really depends how sensitive to lag you are, and your specific combination of equipment.

I have the 60 inch version, and while there is lag, I haven't really been bothered by it in games. I tend to notice it more with movies and TV (lip sync being slightly out etc.), but I can compensate for that in my receiver. I don't usually play fast-paced games on it, so maybe that has an effect. I think it really depends how sensitive to lag you are, and your specific combination of equipment.
Thanks for the info. Does it have a game mode to switch on or anything like that? Any other quirks to it? The price at Dick Smith is very tempting.

Mr. Tone

Thanks for the info. Does it have a game mode to switch on or anything like that? Any other quirks to it? The price at Dick Smith is very tempting.

Yes, it does have a game mode, which does help. The only real quirk I found was in order to get "pixel direct" mode working right from my PC, but that's just a matter of picking the right settings. As with all plasmas, it doesn't look at its best in a bright room. I've had mine for about 4 months, and I've been thrilled with it, the colours and black level are amazing. I would definitely recommend getting one, especially with all the talk of Panasonic ceasing plasma production next year.

Top Bottom