• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

jambo

I was thinking about making the next one.

Or maybe you should make it rep. You account for about 20% of all AusGAF posts already.

Gazunta

12 hours and fifteen minutes until the Kickstarter launches and I am brimming with confidence

OH GOD OH GOD SOMETHING IS GOING TO GO HORRIBLY WRONG I JUST KNOW IT OH JESUS HELP

And yes I vote for the glorious, Angel in the last episode of Buffy-esque return of Vooks to make the new thread.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
HEY GUYS

Dredd + Fringe + Blade Runner (could) = Almost Human

New TV show by the Fringe dude starring Keith Urban. Super psyched to watch it tonight.

It would be the easiest way to get him to make at least one post in here :(

How long until the lock anyway? I might knock up some GIF's or something. Omi loves GIF's.

we're gonna be there by Wednesday easy.

Mr. Tone

hoDcgWf.jpg

Sorry about the quality. In a stunning lack of foresight, I didn't actually order any retail games. I was just going to get some PSN stuff to keep me going, once I remember the details of my US account.

Fusebox

Banned
DHL just delivered my PS4! At 6:15pm too, gotta love that service. See you all in a few days. :p

Hey Mr Tone I didn't order any games with mine either! #teamnogames

10921251045_c30a8ccd39_c.jpg

Sorry about the quality. In a stunning lack of foresight, I didn't actually order any retail games. I was just going to get some PSN stuff to keep me going, once I remember the details of my US account.

Did you turn it on yet? Don't forget to install the 1.50 update before you start playing anything.

r1chard

HEY GUYS

Dredd + Fringe + Blade Runner (could) = Almost Human

New TV show by the Fringe dude starring Keith Urban. Super psyched to watch it tonight.
Ooh, thanks for reminding me...
just waiting for it to pop up on ... you know, the place it goes before it hits my screen... ;)

Yeah, DHL/FEDX can deliver up to 8pm.

I'm probably going to get it tomorrow, the Derrimut sorting centre is really slow. :/
Yeah, my N5 was delayed there for two days stuck in a pile they couldn't handle.

Mr. Tone

Haven't received mine yet.

The cable will be fine, all you need is an AU wall adaptor.

Or, you can simply use the cable from your ps3/ps2.

That's what I did, unplugged the PS3, plugged in the PS4. Do any of you know how I'd go about getting US PS+? If I buy a year's voucher, will I need a US credit card?

That's what I did, unplugged the PS3, plugged in the PS4. Do any of you know how I'd go about getting US PS+? If I buy a year's voucher, will I need a US credit card?

Buy it from Amazon. Not sure if it needed a US address though. Try your own and if it doesn't work plug in 90210 or whatever

Yeah, Amazon is your best bet, unless you have a friend in the US who can mail you a voucher.

Though be wary, I heard Amazon blocked some accounts and have asked the users to provide a bank statement to verify the fake US address they used.

Better yet, try to get the $30 1 year sub Black Friday offer from the US.

I'm set till 2015 but have a mate who can get Black Friday psn cards for me, I'll see if he can get multiple ones.

Shaneus

Don't mind at all. It's this one: http://www.pinball-machines-australia.com.au/the-machine-bride-of-pin%C2%B7bot-project/

Seems to be in reasonable running order with probably a bunch of globes to replace and some switches to fix. I'm not too fussed on the wear on the backbox and playfield. The largest amount of work I think will be removing that mylar (you can see it's bubbled in many places). There's a Bride of Pinbot at the location I play most of my games at, and I'm very familiar with how difficult it is to get at things on the playfield. If I have to remove everything to clean up that mylar, well, that will be a pretty big task. The friend I have who fixes the machines in my local league fixes the Bride here and so again, I'm not worried about being able to get it running well, but it could potentially be a bit of work.
Ah, that doesn't sound too bad then. Luckily for it's not an incredibly fast table, so you won't see harsh wear in too many places (I still maintain I'm super lucky in that regard, only a few key points otherwise the playfield is great... save for those fucking ball swirls :( ).
Chatting to the guy last night about fixing and learning etc., he basically said "There's nothing you can break that can't be fixed". As long as you're relatively careful and have the right tools, you should be able to get it playing damn well, even if it might not look the part in some spots (and honestly, even in your home machine you won't notice them).

Edit: Having a look through those photos, it really doesn't look too bad at all. Honestly looks like one of those tables where it will look really good with (only) a good going over and spit-polish of the playfield. I'm itching to get mine touched up and maybe clearcoated, but I don't know if I can a) be fucked, and b) go without playing it for any longer than a week or two, regardless of the state it could come back in! So I think I'm just gonna get a repro playfield if they release any non-gold (as in, perfect) ones for sale.

I paid $1725 which is probably a bit too much for a Bride that's not 100%, but it's a machine that I love even after playing it hundreds of times here so personally it's worth it. Fiona loves it too even though she finds it a little brutal, but understands it will be great as a machine to teach advanced ball control techniques (it's definitely not a flow game that's for sure, which is why I was iffy on buying one as it's not the best example to have to practice for tournaments).
You have the benefit of knowing you'll still love it... I guess I got lucky (although I knew it's reputation as being an awesome pin) as I didn't know how long I could continually play one machine for. But I keep going back to the damn thing. And added benefit of being a good tournament practice pin (I assume... it feels like it is). And if you can get Fiona playing better overall with it around, you could well have an Australian Theresa ;)

BTW That doesn't seem like a bad price at all. I'd expect decent examples of System 11 titles to go for around that price anyway (hell, mine was the same price and it's an older machine) and given BoP's popularity, I'd imagine it'd be worth a good $2500 if it's in reasonable (not much better than yours after it's been cleaned up) nick. But I literally know next-to-nothing about prices, so... yeah.

Bride of Pinbot gets a lot of criticism for being a 'one shot game'. It's all left ramp all day. But I just find that even that one shot is difficult enough that it's incredibly rewarding when you can manage to continually hit it and get to the final mode, and start scoring billion awards. Even the number 1 player in Australia has only ever gotten 2 billion on the one here, which I've done a few times myself. So even though it's basic, it's challenging.
That makes sense, plus it doesn't help that it's fairly easy to make in TPA... ergo, it doesn't add to the "one-shot" complaints (and I can see how it'd be difficult on a physical machine). Hell, when you think about it High Speed is essentially that as well. The outer loop shots are easy enough once you get the hang, but it's the right upper-flipper shot that's a killer and I still only make maybe 50% of those I go for. But that's the only really hard shot in the game and yeah, if you're able to make that left loop to right upper shot each time, that's almost all the game is.
Huh. Didn't realise that similarity. Guess 90% of pre-WPC games would be like that anyway then!

My plan is to, eventually, get the hidden billion shot mode which I don't think has ever been filmed. It might actually be impossible but hey, if I own one I may as well go for it. It only needs around 54 shots to the centre ramp in a row without a miss... Piece of cake!
You can take off the playfield glass now ;)
I know it's not the same, depends on how keen you are!

Yeah... I really want to do that... Still thinking about it.
I'm really, really close to taking the plunge and just buying tickets, then I have to go so I don't waste my money. But if I knew someone who was already going, I would have everything sorted by now.
One of the biggest motivators for me to go is that looking at the 2013 Pinburgh tally sheet, there was only a single Australian there. I find that quite strange and something that should be rectified as soon as possible *cough*.

ALC5563_WK48_Specials_Key_Vis_961x300_e3c001ff88.jpg

Probably the worst coffee advert.
N.W.C. - Expressi Yourself

That's pretty awesome, do they stream these finals at all?
Mar got this covered, but FYI: There's qualifying finals days (16 players I think?) and there's the final round which covers 4 players playing four games. I watched all of those from this year's finals over a period of a week which lasted for I think what was 6 or something hours of coverage? Never once got bored. Hell, even rewound some bits multiple times if I missed something in the commentary.
As far as game tournament broadcasts go, it's probably the best to watch because there's a genuine kinetic element to it that isn't just generated by a GPU shifting pixels on a screen.
Something in a digestible format for ya: F-14 Tomcat from PAPA 14 finals in 2011 (except now, they have a separate cam for the score as well as the playfield)
and for the hell of it, a tutorial video on the game I own, High Speed :D

Manax

Anyone in melb go to the noodle night market?

Waited in line for food for an hour and then left when they told us they ran out of noodles. Nice day to be out though, also the alcohol lines were fast so there's that. Ended up in china town for dinner

Also got gelati from the new MESSINA store, fuck me it's good, jealous of you sydneysiders for having it To yourselves for so long.

Melbourne is killer.

Anyone in melb go to the noodle night market?

Waited in line for food for an hour and then left when they told us they ran out of noodles. Nice day to be out though, also the alcohol lines were fast so there's that. Ended up in china town for dinner

Also got gelati from the new MESSINA store, fuck me it's good, jealous of you sydneysiders for having it To yourselves for so long.

Melbourne is killer.

Isn't it on for 2 weeks? Might check it out this weekend.

Prices seem atrocious for street food.

Almost Human was great.

Writing is shit but plot is great.

Acting needs proper direction but set design/special effects are amazing.

First half range between good and fucking terrible.

Second half ranged from great to really great.

The Urban/Ealy chemistry is fantastic. Everyone else needs to be retooled to actually have a realistic depiction of a human being.

If they can get some good arcs going it could be amazing. Need a strong hand though as some of the writing was fucking embarrassing. Get the Walking Dead guys who like scifi onto it.

tl;dr - pretty cool, which means it will be cancelled after 6 episodes.

ALSO I POST FOOD BARGRINS NOW BECAUSE I WANT EVERYONE TO BE AS UNHEALTHY AS MEEEEEEEEE

Half price Big M or FUIC 2ltr's at Woolworths from Wednesday!
Also Kettle chips will also be half price.

ALSO MY ROUTER KEEPS SHITTING THE WIFI CONNECTION

SOMEONE RECOMMEND A CHEAP BUT AWESOMELY STRONG ADSL2+ ROUTER SO MY WIFE CAN WATCH GRAYS ANATOMY THROUGH PLEX ON THE PS3 IN THE LOUNGE ROOM

Also Jintor, Big W will have Link Between Worlds for $48

Mar

I'm itching to get mine touched up and maybe clearcoated, but I don't know if I can a) be fucked, and b) go without playing it for any longer than a week or two

One thing I've realised while reading some threads on pinball restoration, is that it's not entirely necessary. If you just want to play the game, leaving it as is (as long as all the bits work) is fine. And hell, what's the point of restoring it if you're only going to wear it out again anyway! Full restorations with playfield repaints and all of that is really only for the collectors who want their machines sparkling clean, or for the perfectionists. I think I'm going to be happy leaving mine in whatever shape it comes, as long as it doesn't affect the travel of the ball (with that bubbling mylar).

You have the benefit of knowing you'll still love it... I guess I got lucky (although I knew it's reputation as being an awesome pin) as I didn't know how long I could continually play one machine for. But I keep going back to the damn thing. And added benefit of being a good tournament practice pin (I assume... it feels like it is). And if you can get Fiona playing better overall with it around, you could well have an Australian Theresa ;)

The great thing about pinball is that every game is different, and the skill ceiling is stupidly high. I've played video games all my life and find you can master any game reasonably quickly, within days usually, or months with highly competitive games. Pinball is just infinitely replayable. Bowen Kerins, current world champion, says he's still learning techniques and he's been playing since he was a small child. So I don't think you'll get sick of that High Speed any time soon.

And yes, Fiona is already doing pretty well in tournaments. We've played in 4 world ranked tournaments together so far and I've only got one win ahead at this point.

That makes sense, plus it doesn't help that it's fairly easy to make in TPA... ergo, it doesn't add to the "one-shot" complaints (and I can see how it'd be difficult on a physical machine).

It is difficult on the real thing. Pinball Arcade is all digital and as long as you press the button at the right time the ball will go to that same spot every time. On the real table, I think I'd be lucky to have a 40% shot accuracy on that ramp. And really, the thing I love about the table is all of the things that happen outside of trying to hit that ramp. For instance, when it comes back from a ramp shot it can go 4 different ways and each of those requires it's own strategy to get back under control and make another ramp shot. If it comes back down from the left wireform, hold the left flipper up and let the ball run off it, give it a nudge over to the right flipper, then make a shot. If the ball comes from the right spinner, depending on the angle the ball is traveling, either live catch on the right flipper or dead pass over the left, then post pass back over the right. I love how much control the game forces you to learn. Fiona appreciates that too and she learned how to post pass on the one we have in our home town.

One of the biggest motivators for me to go is that looking at the 2013 Pinburgh tally sheet, there was only a single Australian there. I find that quite strange and something that should be rectified as soon as possible *cough*.

Yep that was Richard, Australia's number 1. He's been hassling me to go as well. Still thinking about it...

Omikron

What did you get? So we can mock your poor taste of course.

Suburbia and Castles of Burgundy. Judge away.

Pfft. I managed to make Crusader Kings 2 a comfy couch game using RDP.

Also, apparently I play games like Crusader Kings 2 now.
Hah, how does it go on the tv? Most of the ui is bold enough I guess, but the text I imagine would be tricky.

Also ck2 is awesome. Big patch soon (v2.0), includes iron man and achievements and many tweaks and fixes ready for a big expansion.

Top Bottom