• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Kritz

Banned
Sheepdog! - The crappy sheep flocking game I made.

It's a single level, with a single victory condition, with no menus or anything fancy because I ran out of time and they weren't a part of the requirements. There's also no mouselock so, y'know, first person's kinda wonkey.

WASD to move
Mouse1 will bark (kinda)

Get the sheep in the pen.

lexi

Banned
Disappointing UI, not optimised for PCs, many moments of luddonarrative dissonance that failed to engage, too short.

nehHsHB.png

No Gunstringer :/

Been hanging for that game for a while, but I never remember to look for it when I'm in the vicinity of a game store. Wasn't it included as a pack-in with Fruit Ninja or with Kinects themselves or something?

Anyone here have a copy they don't want?
Dick Smith had the retail copy for like $15 or $10. I can look tomorrow for you?

Whelp looks like it's time to stop eating crap food again
Why ever stop?!

Harvey Norman are still in business? I stopped going there after they were mean to Nintendo during the Gamecube era.
They do have great deals, picked up AssCreeRev and Saints Row 3 soon after release for $17

i always thought the pun chain game would/should stop once you run out of new puns:/ we sure milked the sheep on this one!
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwe!

I managed to find a guy in Italy on eBay selling XBLA codes via email for $10. So I'm sorted. Looking forward to giving it a bit of a crack, I didn't mind the demo either.
Hook me up brother!

Fusebox

Banned
Sheepdog! - The crappy sheep flocking game I made.

It's a single level, with a single victory condition, with no menus or anything fancy because I ran out of time and they weren't a part of the requirements. There's also no mouselock so, y'know, first person's kinda wonkey.

WASD to move
Mouse1 will bark (kinda)

Get the sheep in the pen.

Doesn't seem to work on my iPad.

Kritz

Banned
Sidenote about ipads:

me, and two other guys on my project team, came into uni last Saturday to finally get something going on my iPad. Here's the developer pipeline we had:

Me and CodeMan merged our codebases together.
I uploaded code to github.
AppleMan downloaded code from github onto one of the uni's macs.
From the mac AppleMan exported the code into xcode
Transferred the xcode project over to his laptop
Authorised / did funky stuff to the xcode project to get it to run on an apple device
Exported the xcode project onto my ipad
tested ipad code on device
Me and CodeMan made fixes for issues that came up while testing

rinse, repeat

It took us three hours to go through that loop the first time on Saturday.
By Sunday night, we got the process down to 10 minutes.

Fuck Apple.

Kritz

Banned
Black for gaming
Blue for typing
Brown for hybrid

And a bunch of others you'll see once in a while that differ in stiffness and noise.

I have a black. It produces a deep booming kinda sound when typing, and the keys require a fair amount of force to go down. If you're not gaming all the time, you probably don't want one, but I've enjoyed mine.

Black for gaming
Blue for typing
Brown for hybrid

And a bunch of others you'll see once in a while that differ in stiffness and noise.

I have a black. It produces a deep booming kinda sound when typing, and the keys require a fair amount of force to go down. If you're not gaming all the time, you probably don't want one, but I've enjoyed mine.

Thanks for the run down. I guess I'll be passing up that blue... and maybe going for this black: http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-ab47383-mwave_mechanical_gaming_keyboard_black_cherry_key_switch

I guess I don't need it, but I've never owned a decent gaming keyboard before and my current one is starting to shit me. Probably because it's years old and was cheap as chips in the first place!

Rahk

Does anyone here know anything about mechanical keyboards?

I was looking for one to go with my nice new mouse. I mainly play FPS games. Typing is for chumps (except this forum, of course).

I saw this deal sprung up: http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/105071
I believe Cherry keyboards are good, although I've never used one myself. Cherry makes the switches for pretty much all mechanical keyboards. That's really cheap. I'd probably go for it if I didn't already have two.

Blue is great for typing, but a bit noisy. You can still play games fine on a blue. It will still be better than any dome keyboard, I just prefer red/black switches.

Danoss

Blue is great for typing, but a bit noisy. You can still play games fine on a blue. It will still be better than any dome keyboard, I just prefer red/black switches.

My current one is blue and is wonderful to type on, it is noisy, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Gaming is fine, but the dead zone is quite large so if you do repeptitive key presses without allowing the key to raise very far then it may be an issue. I never had a problem when I was playing WoW daily on it for years, I think the problem would have presented itself if it was there.

Rahk

Thanks for the run down. I guess I'll be passing up that blue... and maybe going for this black: http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-ab47383-mwave_mechanical_gaming_keyboard_black_cherry_key_switch

I guess I don't need it, but I've never owned a decent gaming keyboard before and my current one is starting to shit me. Probably because it's years old and was cheap as chips in the first place!
Looks like a decent cheap barebones mechanical keyboard if you want to go with the black switches. Found a video review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-emqk1E0Lg

Also, here's a more in-depth guide to the different switches.

My current one is blue and is wonderful to type on, it is noisy, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Gaming is fine, but the dead zone is quite large so if you do repeptitive key presses without allowing the key to raise very far then it may be an issue. I never had a problem when I was playing WoW daily on it for years, I think the problem would have presented itself if it was there.
Yeah, it has been a while since I've used mine and now that you mentioned it repetitive presses were sometimes a bit of an issue in games. It would also sometimes register when I'd hold A or D slightly down while resting my fingers on the keys, resulting in me strafing without meaning to.

mandiller

Just picked up Zelda Skyward Sword for $19 and Pikmin 2 for $4 at Target in Indooroopily, Brisbane. Still several copies if both available if you get in quick. Not a bad deal at all!

Earphones!

Dick Smith seems to have stock of the blue UE200's for $10 pickup
Logitechshop have the UE200vi ones for $29 for 2 pair posted as well as the UE300vi for $29 each posted

Might grab the UE300vi for when I inevitably start "running" again.

Danoss

Yeah, it has been a while since I've used mine and now that you mentioned it repetitive presses were sometimes a bit of an issue in games. It would also sometimes register when I'd hold A or D slightly down while resting my fingers on the keys, resulting in me strafing without meaning to.

Yeah, it will register keystrokes rather easily, I've done the same thing as you a number of times now you mention it. I'd imagine this would be another thing associated with the blues being optimised for typing. It's not terrible by any means, but that little extra pressure will be enough to actuate it.

Earphones!

Dick Smith seems to have stock of the blue UE200's for $10 pickup
Logitechshop have the UE200vi ones for $29 for 2 pair posted as well as the UE300vi for $29 each posted

Might grab the UE300vi for when I inevitably start "running" again.

Fark, wish I knew this earlier. I'm doing some long haul international flights tomorrow, and this would've been useful!

Shaneus

This was quite possibly the greatest mind-blown posting exchange/realisation I've ever experienced. From the CoJ Gunslinger thread:

You are the Des Mangan of video reviews. Great stuff, man.
The highest compliment!
Holy shit, *that* was the guy who used to host the Saturday night cult film of the week on SBS? I never knew his name, let alone knew he was one of the writers/actors for Hercules Returns. Owe my Jackie Chan fandom to that dude.

Most obscure Australian reference I've ever seen on these forums, and it's not even in an Australian-focused thread. Mind blowed.
I'm sorry, I'm just watching your review now :(

PS. Holy shit, that IS reminiscent of Des Mangan.
EatChildren should re-tag himself "The Des Mangan of NeoGAF".
I can't unhear myself as a younger pitched, more slurred Des Mangan waffling on about video games.

goddamnit
I Google'd (Des) pages ago.

Didn't help.
Imagine watching this as a 13/14/18-year-old, without high-speed internet to download stuff. Great window into some outrageous shit, but with a suitably emotive delivery and dry, sometimes silly witticisms.

Much like EatChildren ;)
Oh... holy shit it is.
Amazing.

Oh, and this:
Des was that cool geek-chic uncle figure we all shared in the 90s. Imagine how many young minds were blown and shaped after his wry, energised introductions...
I can only assume that the entire Australian contingent of the NeoGAF populace are the very same people you speak of.
If Des wasn't an influence on them, I dare say it was high time they handed in their Australia card.

Kritz

Banned
Ugh I need to find one more advanced unit for my degree yet all the computing ones I haven't done look terrible.

It's a tossup between multicore or human computer interfaces. Because the rest sound like absolute garbage.

... HCI it is!

I have to agree with others that getting in on a second kickstarter before the first one is done is a bit meh.

Surely any pub out there would've thrown them 750k+, their name alone is probably worth most of that just for marketing purposes. I get that this will profit them more, it's guess it's just a timing issue for me and the fact they're the big posterboys for the kickstarter surge.

Samb

Neo Member
Just managed to pick up PAX tickets for Saturday and Sunday, in addition to my Friday one bought way back. Definitely going now, can't wait! Though I'll be making the trip across from Perth on my own. Anyone else going solo?

I have to agree with others that getting in on a second kickstarter before the first one is done is a bit meh.

Surely any pub out there would've thrown them 750k+, their name alone is probably worth most of that just for marketing purposes. I get that this will profit them more, it's guess it's just a timing issue for me and the fact they're the big posterboys for the kickstarter surge.

Isn't that why they have been using Kickstarter? Because it was either go to the fans or go to the unemployment line?

Also you don't understand in game development that you can have more than one team at a studio.

Also you don't understand in game development that you can have more than one team at a studio.

wtf? where does anything i said come even close to that? gotta get a snipe in to defend their honor?

Isn't that why they have been using Kickstarter? Because it was either go to the fans or go to the unemployment line?

Pubs weren't funding small projects (actually thq was iirc but we know how that went) and wouldn't give them big ones, you don't think the hype from the first kickstarter would've changed at least the first part(fund their smallerstuff)?

Kritz

Banned
I kinda feel like if people wanna pay someone money for the potential for a product to exist, and a company wants to create that potential and make a shitload of money... they have every right to try.

Granted, people have every right to complain about it, so maybe this is kinda a pointless comment.

Y'all bitches need some apathy in your lives. >_>

wtf? where does anything i said come even close to that? gotta get a snipe in to defend their honor?

Pubs weren't funding small projects (actually thq was iirc but we know how that went) and wouldn't give them big ones, you don't think the hype from the first kickstarter would've changed at least the first part(fund their smallerstuff)?
100% of the studio won't be working on the DFA right now. The people who will lead into pre-production on this title will be free from their commitments on other titles.

Also if they were offered viable contracts they would have taken them rather than roll the dice on another low budget Kickstarter, they have already discussed how dangerous a project with a licked and limited budget is. Stuff that can gain extra, outside funding like Star Citizen is how these Kickstarter projects will become viable, otherwise if they eat up one month too much of development time they would rely on loans to get the damn thing done.

This was quite possibly the greatest mind-blown posting exchange/realisation I've ever experienced. From the CoJ Gunslinger thread:

I think it was Saturday nights on SBS. Liquid television, the Maxx, South Park, followed by the cult film of the week presented by Des. Quite possibly the best run of television Australian free to air has ever seen!

senahorse

The 770 reviews are coming out. Performance is pretty good, but if you get one you definitely want to get one of the factory overclocked models like the MSI Lightning as pictured. I am still going to go with lightning or classified 780's.

1369730216eMvcKlVH3d_8_4.gif

The 770 reviews are coming out. Performance is pretty good, but if you get one you definitely want to get one of the factory overclocked models like the MSI Lightning as pictured. I am still going to go with lightning or classified 780's.

1369730216eMvcKlVH3d_8_4.gif

How is the pricing looking, same as last gen?

Top Bottom